How is the Playbook as a PDF reader? I have several technical programming manuals in PDF format that I want to read. Also I would like to read some novels using Kobo or Kindle or whatever.

What's the consensus?
    02-07-12 08:44 AM
    I'm using an app called Adobe Reader for pdf files. Works great ! Doc Neutron
    02-07-12 08:54 AM
    No issues with large files, photos, or anything like that then?
    02-07-12 08:56 AM
    Book Reader is a great app for reading ebooks, it just plain works
    02-07-12 08:58 AM
    For reading epub's, mobi and typical e-reader format, I bought the "Mobile Reader" Application for 0.99.

I'm extrememly impressd by it and the fact the Developer is a member on these forums and has spent an entire thread in the software section taking requests, criticisms and bug fixes directly from us, the user base.

As for reading experience on it? I'm coming from an E-ink based reader. The reading is different. E-ink is the easiest on the eyes, and easily reproduces the reading experience of print.

The Tablets do not quite hit that. They're a different "experience". I tried using an Acer tablet as an e-reader and it was terrible. When the Playbooks were discounted last week, I couldn't resist though. And I am thoroughly impressed. The big deal with reading on the Playbook is the screen quality. Yes it is an LCD, and will provide the typical LCD reading issues vs Paper, But if it doesn't bother you, it works great. The Viewing angles of the Playbooks screen makes it very comfortable to read. The viewing angles are fantastic so you can' rest the PB down and continue reading. There's little colour shift making the screen uniform and easy on the eyes.

Ive been reading all weekend on it. I've got my Book Reader set to Black background with white fonts at pt 18 (wow do i feel old).
    02-07-12 09:00 AM
    Thanks!
    02-07-12 09:14 AM
    I find the Kobo reader to my liking.Have read a couple of books .The pdf using the adobe reader are good only fault i find is to delete documents when done you have to connect to DTM and delete that way.
    02-07-12 09:15 AM
    I find the Kobo reader to my liking.Have read a couple of books .The pdf using the adobe reader are good only fault i find is to delete documents when done you have to connect to DTM and delete that way.
    Try Air Browser, its free and lets you browse all the folders on the PB and delete files (that and many other things) right from the app.
    02-07-12 09:20 AM
    I'm using Kobo which is pretty alright if you don't already have a huge collection of ebooks on other services or epubs. The defualt adobe reader is not really great for pdf I have to say. It does fine for just reading but it's still not as smooth as I expect it to be, even with a 20 odd page pdf. Which makes me a little weary about much bigger pdf files like manuals. To be fair I haven't tried it though. With Zinio coming soon, it would be my magazine reader as well.

On adobe reader, though you can't delete pdf directly, you can just get a file browser app. Some like the free "Air Browser" works just fine. Beats having to connect it to your pc just to delete them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-07-12 09:23 AM
    Adobe Reader is a lame excuse for an app...

- No support for password protected files (Really??? Professional tablet, FFS!);

- No bookmarking features;

The list goes on. Quite a let down.

I didn't give any epubs a try yet, but Comics (the app, for cbz) works great, Kobo and Amazon's Cloud Reader are also working very well.
    jbhq likes this.
    02-07-12 09:31 AM
    Thanks diegonei, I'm a bit put off buying one now as I have a large file, from 160-500 pages.

Anybody opened a 160 page document?

Reading these comments, it sounds like it's not suitable for my needs

http://blogs.adobe.com/readermobile/2011/04/24/adobe-reader-blackberry-playbook/
    Last edited by Wmsi; 02-07-12 at 10:02 AM.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-07-12 09:56 AM
    Adobe Reader is a lame excuse for an app...

- No support for password protected files (Really??? Professional tablet, FFS!);

- No bookmarking features;

The list goes on. Quite a let down.
    This.

If you're interested merely in reading .pdfs, this app will get the job done; it renders well overall. It doesn't scroll smoothly on large or picture heavy .pdfs, if your .pdf is a scanned image of a print book, prepare for lots of waiting/checkerboarding (most of my reading for school is .pdf based, and I've taken to printing over using the PlayBook as a reader, which is sadly why I bought the PB in the first place). It has no 'jump to page' feature, no search, no highlighting, no bookmarking, no editing or notation features. It does, however, have a little scrolly-bar thing on the bottom which you can use to scroll quickly through pages, which is a huge improvement over its first incarnation, but doesn't make up for the lack of the ability to jump to a specific page. Overall, it's a huge disappointment.

As to whether it will get better, one can always hope, but I don't think it's been updated in at least six months, so don't hold your breath. That said, who knows, with the release of 2.0 maybe we'll get a functional reader from Android.
    02-07-12 10:05 AM
    The pdf reader, as mentioned is very weak. My gripe is NO SEARCH function. I load my camera manual and can't search for a term. I will add, that a few 300+ page manuals have loaded with no issues. Some folks have found Android pdf apps that work well under the OS2 beta so that new OS2 might help with these limitations.

Some pdf's apparently created by non-standard applications will show blank pages. I have not run into that issue.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-07-12 10:16 AM
    Thanks diegonei, I'm a bit put off buying one now as I have a large file, from 160-500 pages.

Anybody opened a 160 page document?

Reading these comments, it sounds like it's not suitable for my needs

Adobe Reader now available on BlackBerry PlayBook Reader Mobile
    It doesn't have any problem with large file sizes. Today I was reading a ~900 page document that loaded quickly.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't annotate, allow any form of editing, bookmarks, thumbnail view or any other useful feature besides reproducing the pages in order.
    I wish that one of the ereader programs would introduce pdf support...or someone would develop a screen temperature app for the device...or both.
    02-07-12 02:52 PM
    Theres an app called Jotsy its still in beta look very promising for annotating PDF and some other things, but what I don't like so far is that you have to sync with your PC instead of just having access directly from the Playbook. Not sure if this is just my experience but i put a text book thats about 400 pages long and it takes forever to load it up and when switched apps it did it again i mean like 10 minutes thats super long. It froze on me twice so that was like 30 mins to open a pdf lol. It is in beta though and it might just be my experience Im not sure if others have experienced this as well. I opened up a thread about it under the playbook section by accident :$ . The app is free by the way.
    02-07-12 04:20 PM
    PDF Adobe Reader works great if you want to use it for a wide range. Otherwise, you can also get Kindle Reader. It has quite good features.
    08-30-12 02:05 AM
    I use this app called PDF reader. It works fairly well. It's a dollar but we'll worth it. Though the page to Page scrolling and pinch zoom don't have visual feedback like in adobe reader, it has search, bookmarking, chapter support and copying segments of text. It also remembers the last page for the last n number of books and has a proper folder based file browser (or you can choose native type browser) It doesn't have annotations yet but I don't do that often anyway. The one time I did need to, I used the side loaded repligo reader. That would have been the reader if choice but it isn't as smooth.
    08-30-12 02:54 AM
    And yes, it can open large files. I just opened a 258 mb scanned pdf of 800 odd pages in like 3 seconds. And it is smooth. The only time opening a pdf slowed the PB was in the case of a large and corrupted pdf. It slowed my comp too.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-30-12 03:01 AM
    Motion to spam mobile-appsupport@adobe.com with complaints and suggestions.
    08-30-12 10:46 AM
    Just tried only to receive a warning from gmail stating that delivery had permanently failed... Anyone who knows how to contact them please share. Or feel free to send mine:

Code:
    ...But I could be talking about any of the previous versions.

It's very clear the deep connection between RIM and Adobe judging only  the bundled applications in the BlackBerry Playbook (Adobe Air, Flash and Reader).

Also a great amount of the applications available in the BB App World are developed using Adobe Creative Suite.

Adobe plays great part in RIMs future platform (seeing how much emphasis is given to developing applications for the Playbook in CS Studio and also the fact the OS of future mobile devices will be the same or at least derive from Tablet OS).

Being RIM a company that has accustomed users of delivering corporate level devices, software and services, and Adobe the creator of pdf format and readers on multiple platforms it's somewhat puzzling and disappointing how low featured and unoptimized the reader in Playbook is.

As it stands it hurts both companies' image. Even more so when other companies provide more feature complete products on lower spec devices such as the ones running BB OS 6 / 7.

One of the reasons I bought the Playbook was to read books, mostly study, and have a more portable office suite at my disposal. My expectations have not been met in many fronts.

Sure Adobe Reader seems to be able to open all pdfs I've tried so far (mostly books with few to no images) but it's usage is not practical and lacks many of the most basic functions.

What I currently can't do (and certainly hope is soon added is):

1- Ability to search (dire function especially considering point 2).

2-  Create and navigate using bookmarks (using a book index is crucial especially considering points 1 and 3; also needed to mark your progress and annotations).

3- Select page writing a number (using a scrollbar is imprecise and flipping a page at a time is slow).

4- Text selection / copy (because I use it for work and many times I quote excerpts of books).

5- Highlight and annotation (because I wanted to use my tablet for studying as it was intended).

6-  Fill forms (because sometimes I have to and buying an application to simply fill this gap seems preposterous).

7- Open web hyperlinks (important since you can't copy text).

8- Rendering when scrolling zoomed files is slow (the program feels unoptimized for the hardware).

I leave you the best regards
    08-30-12 12:05 PM
    For university, I use the PB for reading articles in pdf on the train and the standard adobe reader app is great for it. It's not the fastest, but after a bit of loading, it works even with larger documents (+80mb)
    08-31-12 03:38 AM
    PDF reader just got updated. It's better than adobe in all aspects now. The only thing still missing is annotations and that's on the developers to-do. Take a look-see.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    09-14-12 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD