Well isn't it Feb 7th somewhere on the globe right now? If it was OS update day there wouldn't the forum be buzzing with PB owners there saying how they were downloading OS 2.0? My bet is Feb 17th, or maybe that's what I am hoping for.
    I doubt the release would depend so much on a date as a time when RIM decides to make it available. What I mean is, whatever date they pick, it's not like they'll go out of their way to make it available for Tuvalu, then New Zealand, then Australia, etc.

BTW, no official source has given ANY date more specific than "February"...
    02-05-12 02:46 PM
    Okay, I went back to review the Berryfication post, and I guess it definitely isn't a typo; they did deliberately say it would be out Tuesday. And Devcon Europe starts this week.

Maybe I'm getting up to the 30% belief level...
    Last edited by Thunderbuck; 02-05-12 at 03:00 PM.
    stephaneldugas likes this.
    02-05-12 02:57 PM
    2 days, so close!!
    02-05-12 03:50 PM
    If rim release it on Feb 7 that should not be a problem with devs submission of apps. The date set for devs are for them to get a free playbook. Anyways all is good for us. It's Feb now and Feb 7 or not will get it this month that's for sure.
    02-05-12 03:54 PM
    perhaps an announcement of the official release date will be at the start of DevCon Europe on the 7th? Seems more plausible than an actual release of 2.0 out of nowhere. (However not really out of nowhere since we've been waiting for some of these features since summer..)
    9of13 likes this.
    02-05-12 04:11 PM
    Yup this fix is longggggg overdue. They gonna keep momentum of the excitement bout their products. This will be big buzz if release on devcon Europe.
    02-05-12 04:43 PM
    Remember guys we will probably have a bridge update first! That is how it almost always happens... so, while the date it maybe ready is feb 7, I doubt very seriously it will already be rolling out Tuesday (2 days from now)
    02-05-12 04:45 PM
    This picture that Blackberry posted on the dev blog a couple of days ago speaks volumes to me about a release date.
    02-05-12 04:48 PM
    Doesn't the date on that say Thurs Feb 16 2012? Under the clock?
    02-05-12 04:54 PM
    perhaps an announcement of the official release date will be at the start of DevCon Europe on the 7th? Seems more plausible than an actual release of 2.0 out of nowhere. (However not really out of nowhere since we've been waiting for some of these features since summer..)
    Well, another scenario would have DevCon attendees getting access to the 2.0 release version, alongside an announcement of an availability date for the rest of us. Which I grant makes somewhat more sense than just opening the floodgates.

Even so, if it IS ready to roll, I fail to see where the harm would be in making the upgrade available this week...
    02-05-12 04:57 PM
    This picture that Blackberry posted on the dev blog a couple of days ago speaks volumes to me about a release date.
    That's a thought. To me though, it only speaks to a lower limit... given the internal date of Feb 17th, which I doubt was ever intended to be a public release date, they simply picked the latest date which was basically guaranteed not to be in the future once people saw it in the marketing material for which it was intended.

I suspect, actually, that they will be delivering 2.0 to various reviewers, under embargo, around the 17th, and that the public release date is shortly after, probably around the 21st.

That gives Kevin and his peers (I know, I know... he has no peers! :-) ) the weekend to play, write it up, and get their mouse cursors positioned over the "Post" button...
    02-05-12 04:58 PM
    im inclined to agree with the majority of users here, the 7th just doesnt seem feasible, especially after the whole free pb for devs for submitting before the 13th thing. 17th makes more sense if anything.
    02-05-12 05:16 PM
    I've heard no plausible theory for the 17th release date everyone speaks of, definitely going to be released by then.
    Dev con, new ceo wanting to send a message (releasing product early to the beta testers of the pb), create a buzz before the retail release. Plenty of good reasons imo, everyone who got the PB at launch, we know how long it was before the rest of the world saw commercials for the PB? Pretty sure the only people buying playbook at launch were the members of crackberry lol, we are getting 2.0 first.
    02-05-12 05:18 PM
    The 7th is just not gonna happen. The new dm 7.0 will be released on the 14th. What's different with this version?fixes problem with Playbook back ups and connection. If it was gonna be released on the 7th ,the new dm would have been released already followed by bridge update and then the big 2.0. I would bet it will be released some days after the 14th. If i wake up tomorrow with a bridge update I will gladly eat my words.I want the update as bad as the next person but not bad enough to become dillusional and believe post like berryfications when all other signs say different. berryfictation probably got more hits with that post than it ever has. Hmmmm
    02-05-12 05:24 PM
    I'm avoiding getting my hopes up on a specific date so that I'm not disappointed when it doesn't come out (not quite true actually, I'm expecting a date of February 7, 2015. That way I get excitement when it's out early, or I know years ahead of time that it's not coming), but just to stir the pot and hopefully drive some people crazy:

1. Didn't the free app thing start out as "Android developers: submit your ported Android app by February 6th to guarantee that your app is on OS2.0 at release", then change to "App developers: submit your app to app world by February 13th and get a free PlayBook", with no mention of being on OS2.0 at launch after it was extended? Also I'm pretty sure I saw a tweet a few days ago about how they'd brought their app aproval time down to 24 hours!

2. DevCon Europe is a huge event which would be perfect to launch OS2.0 at. Yes, I know this has been said before though.

3. The people in attendance at DevCon will be developers and hardcore fans. Who better to have a first chance with the new OS?
    02-05-12 05:26 PM
    Approval time is not the same as the time it takes for the app to show up in appworld.The tweet you read was referring to the time it takes to become a approved dev, not the time it takes to have a app published after submission.
    Jean-luc_Picard likes this.
    02-05-12 05:33 PM
    Approval time is not the same as the time it takes for the app to show up in appworld.The tweet you read was referring to the time it takes to become a approved dev, not the time it takes to have a app published after submission.
    And I bet I could have driven some people insane had you not clarified. Thanks for the clarification though, I hadn't realised that.
    02-05-12 05:40 PM
    This guy clearly has a cousin who has a friend whose 2nd cousins bff works for rim..
    VanCity778 likes this.
    02-05-12 06:07 PM
    Maybe those testing the beta version will get the full version to test out on the 7th for a week or so before the public version gets released.
    02-05-12 07:34 PM
    Blehhh, I don't buy it. Don't know why do I feel that this could turn into a new chapter of bashing RIM for delays on their products if the upgrade doesn't come out the 7th... (Perhaps rumors spreaded on purpose to have a reason to keep hating Rim?)
    02-05-12 08:10 PM
    I say an announcement of an exact date will be made on February 7th at DevCon Europe.
    02-05-12 09:01 PM
    Blehhh, I don't buy it. Don't know why do I feel that this could turn into a new chapter of bashing RIM for delays on their products if the upgrade doesn't come out the 7th... (Perhaps rumors spreaded on purpose to have a reason to keep hating Rim?)
    Yeah, I've gotta say it's got me puzzled, too.

I must be missing something regarding this whole notion of it being tied to that date for devs to get apps in. If it WERE ready to go out on Tuesday, and it was released as a voluntary update, why would developers be upset about that, exactly?

And, bottom line, IF it were ready to go, why shouldn't RIM make it available? I'm having trouble understanding that.
    02-05-12 09:08 PM
    This from Alec Saunders on twitter:

@BrianCatton I don't think we promised an update at DevCon. Anyway, it's still baking so not yet.
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    02-05-12 09:12 PM
    This from Alec Saunders on twitter:

@BrianCatton I don't think we promised an update at DevCon. Anyway, it's still baking so not yet.
    That sounds pretty definitive.
    bjemiller likes this.
    02-05-12 09:16 PM
    In this video CEO Thorsten Heins clearly says that users will be able to download OS 2.0 in END OF FEBRUARY. I don't think its going to release on 7th.

Research In Motion's New CEO Thorsten Heins - USATODAY.com Video

(Check at 8:00 minutes)
    02-05-12 09:23 PM
154 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD