02-05-12 12:28 AM
    If that's true, RIM must be out of their mind. They should announce the release date in advance with a great fanfare and hold a huge release event on the date.
    bbmtna and buffandsweet33 like this.
    02-05-12 12:30 AM
    Anyway, look how Berryfication will charge tons of money for ads on their website due to increased hit count
    02-05-12 12:31 AM
    Meh. Looks like he is just speculating based on the number of new apps in App World.

By the sound of it, the part of the article that deals with OS 2.0 release is not based on the "sources".

Look where he says: "I think RIM is pulling all resources into the PlayBook and the official release date will be..**BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 – February 7th, 2012."
    02-05-12 12:38 AM
    This what caught my eyes.

"We do believe we have an official release date for the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0! Yes you read that right. No names will be revealed but our sources are some of the very best. So there’s that."

Of course we take this with a grain of salt. Hehehehe
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-05-12 12:46 AM
    Wow. The reactions stun me to the point I'm even more stunned than usual...

We've had members crying for an early 2.0 release ("for the fans"), and this would seem to satisfy that plea, but we're also getting people complaining that it's not coming with enough fanfare??! WTF?
    02-05-12 12:50 AM
    Wow. The reactions stun me to the point I'm even more stunned than usual...

We've had members crying for an early 2.0 release ("for the fans"), and this would seem to satisfy that plea, but we're also getting people complaining that it's not coming with enough fanfare??! WTF?
    How about this? Release it early but with advance notice and enough fanfare.
    auditman, speedypear and bbmtna like this.
    02-05-12 12:55 AM
    so get your apps in by feb 13 but the os releases on the 7??? sorry but doesnt make much sense to me. I would think RIM has learned from the past and would work on getting as much apps on there before release and not after. To me personally I couldnt care less since i already love my playbook but I think the masses would not hesitate to tear it apart.
    02-05-12 01:06 AM
    I'd like nothing more for that to be true but I can't see it happening. RIM wanted android apps submitted by the 6th so that they'd be ready for the launch of 2.0, so that doesn't give them a lot of time to run them through the ringer for approval. Especially after announcing the free playbook to android -then native- devs the 7th doesn't seem all too feasible (also not sure about them working the weekend here).

Hope they prove me wrong though :P
    02-05-12 01:07 AM
    Maybe Feb 7 release is special. Just for us crackberry citizens.
    02-05-12 01:09 AM
    i seriously doubt it. haha. since alec mentioned to submit android apps by 6th feb - 7th feb (depending on country), so apps will be available in line with the launch of os 2.0. i seriously doubt that RIM can approve apps submitted on 7th feb on the day itself. haha.
    DataWrangler likes this.
    02-05-12 01:10 AM
    hopefully its true
    02-05-12 01:19 AM
    I think the sites name should be BerryFICTION. The 7th.... nope. Not with the Android/other devs being given til the 13th to get their 2.0 apps in.
    mikeyplaybook66 likes this.
    02-05-12 01:50 AM
    The site name should be BerryFICTION. The 7th is about 10 days too early as RIM gave devs until the 13th to get new apps in.
    lovemyplaybook likes this.
    02-05-12 01:52 AM
    The comments on the site are funny though..."way to get this out first before some of the bigger sites did" (or something like that)
    Its crazy how people will believe anything. If its released on the 7th ill never come to a crackberry forum again

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    blue-b likes this.
    02-05-12 03:01 AM
    If that's true, RIM must be out of their mind. They should announce the release date in advance with a great fanfare and hold a huge release event on the date.
    Huge event = DevCon Europe. Which is sold out by the way.
    soxypirate likes this.
    02-05-12 03:21 AM
    They do have a big launch event planned. It is called Devcon Europe and it start's on the 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if they are right. Rim released 2.0 beta at Devcon and they just may release 2.0 at this event. The event is sold out and it would be a great way to get a lot of people talking about the new Os and how awesome the playbook is... Fingers crossed and really hope they do it...
    soxypirate and buffandsweet33 like this.
    02-05-12 03:23 AM
    I work at RIM. We've been ordered to work all night on the 6th to get the apps ready for the next day release.

OK not really.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    buffandsweet33 likes this.
    02-05-12 03:29 AM
    so get your apps in by feb 13 but the os releases on the 7??? sorry but doesnt make much sense to me. I would think RIM has learned from the past and would work on getting as much apps on there before release and not after. To me personally I couldnt care less since i already love my playbook but I think the masses would not hesitate to tear it apart.
    I'd like nothing more for that to be true but I can't see it happening. RIM wanted android apps submitted by the 6th so that they'd be ready for the launch of 2.0, so that doesn't give them a lot of time to run them through the ringer for approval. Especially after announcing the free playbook to android -then native- devs the 7th doesn't seem all too feasible (also not sure about them working the weekend here).

Hope they prove me wrong though :P
    If you use the logic that Rim won't release OS2 on the 7th because the apps won't be submitted until up to the 13th which doesn't leave enough time. Then you can also count out the 17th as well. 4 days isn't enough time to get the final submitted apps to the store in time either. If Rim needs 7 to 14 days to go through all the apps then we are looking at a time frame somewhere between the 20th and 27th.
    02-05-12 03:48 AM
    I wouldn't count on the update till late this month. Sure sooner would be better, but just unrealistic. If it does release on the 7th, I will enjoy my serving of humble pie.
    buffandsweet33 likes this.
    02-05-12 04:37 AM

I sincerely think this will NOT be the 7th.

Still, this will be DEVCON first day ... and might be the "big event" you're talking about ...

[Pure speculation]
    OS2 pre-loaded on offered PB's (and NOT pushed on-line) ?
    Oh-my-God !
    P.S: I must stop dreamin' of PB OS2 (witch I currently do ) ... when my eyes are open
    02-05-12 04:58 AM
    wow really people! what makes you think that rim needs to have so much apps in their database to release it. they just need to have the apps that are important. a important video store, and if you look at the android database theres nothing there really thats that important compared to the calendar email and other features. on of their featured app is a business calendar wich is less appealing than what we are getting and we already know that we are in for a suprise launch date with this important video store and we still havent seen anything of it yet so id be surprised that theyd be waiting for a few little apps that may come their way because of a promotion to get devs to develop. i doubt we're seeing the whole lot of apps since some apps may be aligned to go with the launch date.
    if i was rim id release it when its time for a big wow to the industry to get much more hype about the product and have more people talking about their product.
    i will keep hoping for tuesday release wich makes sense but i wont hold my breath until then ill just cross my finger coming that morning, but it totally makes sense.
    02-05-12 05:07 AM
    they cant go to the devcon with a beta version thats all im saying especially because their main market is europe.
    02-05-12 05:24 AM
    Bla1ze tweeted that Desktop Manager will be updated to 7.0 on the 14th, which still leaves the 17th as the likely date. I don't think they will release 2.0 without having their desktop software updated to work with 2.0 first.
    02-05-12 05:58 AM
    they cant go to the devcon with a beta version thats all im saying especially because their main market is europe.
    Sure they can !
    I guess at best it would be a Release Candidate (RC) version.
    Still not convinced they'll release anything prior the 17th (ok with Snipper/bla1ze info).
    02-05-12 06:30 AM
154 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD