OS 2 is awesome because it gives you the ability to make folders on the main screen so you can nicely organise your games, work apps, etc.

The problem I find now is that in-app file organisation is quite poor.
    For example:
    I have a tonne of pdf books/magazines on my PlayBook but there is no way to organise these books in to separate folders depending on the book/magazine category/type.

I created separate folders on the PlayBook via wifi sharing but these folders do not show up in the reader. It does a very basic job of displaying EVERYTHING in the main screen and doesn't recognise the folder.

I found my self in a similar situation in the videos application.
    I would like to keep my different tv shows in separate folders but there is no obvious way of doing this.

Anyone else found themselves in a similar situation?
    01-07-12 04:43 PM
    Totally concur, at least with text format docs.
    Audio not so much as they are managed by ID3 tags and I am too type A.
    Videos not so much as I do not watch/use those more than once or twice, and delete.
    Closed text based docs, such as ebooks or pdf should be managed by tags. The viewers for each have minimal file managing functions.

The Pb really need an integrated file manager with support for multiple tagging, a hide/privacy/locked tag, and a indexed search. User should not have to fuss with the underlining file directories in modern OSes.
    01-07-12 05:54 PM
    YES. Although, if you saw my den you would wonder if I have any organizing skills, I want subfolders to mean something to the various apps. I, too, have videos separated out TV, Foreign, Trips to no avail. I also have broken up Documents into PDFs, doc, excel, html, etc also to no avail. The only place rim recognizes subfolders is within the Photo folder where subfolders are treated as albums.

Worse yet in trying to attach something to an email, hundreds of pictures all grouped into one huge display of files.
    01-07-12 06:01 PM
    get air file browser. it's free, and you can easily make folders and sub folders for all your files.
    01-07-12 07:09 PM
    A "native file browser" of some kind was once mentioned as being one of the features 2.0 would bring. I've seen nothing mentioned about it since whenever I saw that, but I've always imagined it implied at least support in the file open/save dialogs for folders, and possibly far more than that.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll actually learn something next week at CES...
    01-07-12 07:35 PM
    Sorry I wasn't actually clear on what I wanted.
    I am not really bothered about a native file browser app because air browser/files and folders is good enough.
    What I want is for applications such as Adobe reader and the videos app to recognise and respect these folders so that when I open up my videos/pdfs, I have them all nicely organised in to their appropriate folders and categories.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-07-12 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD