Thanks Quicksilvr3. I do follow that discussion on other Boards, and am tempted to try, much like I was tempted to try the Beta 2.1 for PlayBook. But I'm on a hosted Exchange server, and have been careful because I was worried that something other than an AT&T upgrade might cause me problems. I've actually been working with BB support on a PlayBook 2.0 problem (Print To Go not working in a domain environment) so I'm cautious not to mess something else up, across both devices!
    Couple of points:

1) OS upgrade SHOULDN'T be a problem, even from a different carrier, and Exchange doesn't even enter the discussion. I will grant, some of this may depend on how strict your BB/Network admins are. Your mileage MAY vary.

2) I've used PtG in a few different domain environments. The only way I can think of it being an issue is that your domain network is likely set up in such a way that you aren't allowed to install apps or printers (i.e., you need local admin privileges). That's not RIM's fault.

In both of these cases, there are security concerns that your company legitimately holds. If it's your employer's Blackberry, they're entitled to lock it down and prevent you from upgrading it. If it's your Playbook, your employer is entitled to keep you from exporting documents to it.

I don't know what position you hold in your company, but if you're in management go to your system admins and tell them what you want to do. If it's not counter to policy, they'll likely help you, and if it can't be done, hopefully they'll explain why.
    08-01-12 03:13 PM
    "I just despise the negative RIM talk when there wasn't ANY official word on an update coming by July31st."

Sorry, but that's not good enough. Given the extensive talk on Crackberry about a July 31 release date, of which Rim could not have been unaware even if it was not the source, the smart thing to do would have been to post a disclaimer. The fact that it didn't, that it let expectations rise unchecked, speaks volumes, in my view, about Rim's commitment to its customers. It also speaks volumes about its tone-deaf approach to how it is perceived by the public. Did Rim not even consider how it would look (another deadline missed, whether true or not) when July 31 came and went with no 2.1 release? This is, apparently, a company that pays too little attention to details, niggling though they may be, that feed into its reputation. We saw the same with the actual delay (the latest one) of BB10. No explanation, not even any attempt to spin it and therefore give its customers some sense of justifiable delay. Nope. Just no release till 'early' next year, as if it was of no consequence. Meanwhile, Apple has announced a new phone and mini-tablet for release on Sept. 12, and the world expects something on that date.
    I don't see Apple ever coming out and commenting on rumours about event dates or releases of new hardware or commenting on false leaks of hardware

#justsaying
    08-01-12 03:58 PM
    Exactly...just 2 more weeks, just 14 more days, just 336 more hours, just 20160 more minutes, just 1,209,600 more seconds, just 1,209,600,000 Milliseconds
    You see. There you start it again! In 2 weeks this whole forum threat will recycle again and tempers will rise! All because of you!
    Barljo likes this.
    08-01-12 04:03 PM
    So... are we calmer now?

I'm curious...

I'd always assumed Summer to be the months of June/July/August - though here in the UK we don't ever seem to see much sun unfortunately.

It's certainly the definition of Summer used commonly in the UK. And I'm sure most Brits would never consider September to be a "summer month"... it's the first month of Autumn (Fall, to you over the pond).

Would the average "Yank in the Street" consider the Summer to be the period between the Summer solstice and Autumn equinox, or would they use the same June..August definition?
    Hmm. As someone mentioned, south of the Equator.... but (the Rim going down under is an entirely different meaning).....

Back in NYC, June was Summer. Here it might be more like Britain - maybe it hits in July if it hits at all. But if "early" Summer was mentioned, August "ain't" early Summer.

It really does not matter as Mid-August will still not be early and barely mid-Summer. Einstein would have appreciated Rim's sense of Relativity.

Whether or not some folks think Rim still has time, others are convinced they've missed another deadline. So it goes and goes and goes.....
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-01-12 05:10 PM
    I haven't read all the posts in here so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but Bla1ze mentioned on twitter that the internal build is at 2.1.0.800. That seems fairly high up there so hopefully that means it will be released really soon. It will also look pretty bad if they miss dropping it in summer, considering they said early summer.
    08-01-12 11:30 PM
    I haven't read all the posts in here so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but Bla1ze mentioned on twitter that the internal build is at 2.1.0.800. That seems fairly high up there so hopefully that means it will be released really soon. It will also look pretty bad if they miss dropping it in summer, considering they said early summer.
    I'll take the liberty of "summerising" (ha-hah) some of the most recent posts. There seems to be some dispute over Summer - when it starts and what constitutes the mid-point.

It probably doesn't matter anyway: RIM seem to exist in their own timezone in these matters if past references to seasons in product drops are any guide.

I'm not sure that having a high build number means anything other than they've done a lot of builds... there's no magic build number where a public release is automatic or mandatory... but I'm sure OS2.1 will be released "soon".
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-02-12 at 02:04 AM.
    08-02-12 02:00 AM
    haha...who trust " early summer"...anyone still remember the 60 days promise..?
    08-02-12 03:23 AM
    The delay is explainable... after laying off thousand of employees, what would you expect?...

And speaking of expect, if RIM is set to cut a further 3,000 jobs this month, expect more delays...
    08-02-12 06:22 AM
    Actually you are VERY wrong Josh, the layoffs are for support teams and customer service for legacy OS's such as the Java Based OS4x-OS7.1

Good try though!
    08-02-12 06:24 AM
    The BB10 and QNX team aren't being laid off at all. So please do your homework before you come in making assumptions!
    08-02-12 06:26 AM
    Beta works great for me.I think rim should start releasing smaller updates but more often

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    FF22 likes this.
    08-02-12 06:31 AM
    Well anyone still on official 2.0 there is an update to OS 2.0.1.668
    08-02-12 07:41 AM
    Well anyone still on official 2.0 there is an update to OS 2.0.1.668
    There is????????
    08-02-12 07:45 AM
    08-02-12 08:08 AM
    There is????????
    Yep there sure is....
    08-02-12 08:17 AM
    I received an email from OS 2.1 stating the following:" You are not yet ready for me."

very cryptic, could AI be included now???

rcm1301 likes this.
    08-02-12 08:39 AM
    Actually you are VERY wrong Josh, the layoffs are for support teams and customer service for legacy OS's such as the Java Based OS4x-OS7.1

Good try though!
    Well now that I good news. I will toast to that.

I remember hearing a while back that the Storm 1 OS developer was still on the payroll and that was still his only job description. Whaaaaaaaat?
    08-02-12 08:49 AM

Good try though!
    Well, thank you for correcting me... on that case, there shouldn't be reason at all for RIM to have delays providing they still have enough manpower resources...
    08-02-12 11:23 AM
    There it is!!!
    2.1 got a bit confused about the day that's all. Tuesday, Thursday...they both start with T

....I'm just glad it's out..........now we can look forward to 2.2
    08-02-12 11:59 AM
    There it is!!!
    2.1 got a bit confused about the day that's all. Tuesday, Thursday...they both start with T

....I'm just glad it's out..........now we can look forward to 2.2
    Hate to burst your bubble but it isn't 2.1 it is a 2.0.1 update.
    08-02-12 12:03 PM
    haha...who trust " early summer"...anyone still remember the 60 days promise..?
    I use to know a girl named Summer.....She wasn't very reliable lol
    08-02-12 12:16 PM
    oh.......my bad
    I guess RIM just released this one becuase of all the people who were expecting an update this week......that explains why I still haven't gotten a Bridge update. Still no PB SMS for me
    08-02-12 12:18 PM
    Aug 2 the 2.01 is released.....
    08-02-12 05:36 PM
    You say this like the vast majority of Playbook owners are even aware of a rumored release. The typical playbook consumer are going through their daily lives, unaware of a website named "Crackberry", let alone a rumored OS release. The rumors have spread throughout the Crackberry community, which is a small percentage of the overall user community. Those users will wake up one day and see a notification of a new OS release numbered 2.1. They'll be oblivious to all the rumors, late releases, and mud slinging.

Yes, it would have been nice to let the Crackberry community know about this bogus rumor, but for the average consumer, seems like a null point.
    Crackberry members may be a small percentage of Playbook owners but we are the ones promoting it and RIM. The rest of the world already thinks RIM is out of business.
    I have three co-workers that bought Playbooks after seeing mine and asking me about it. One of these people bought three Playbooks for himself and family members. So, RIM sold an added 5 Playbooks because I, a Crackberry member, bought one.
    I don't keep these people up do date with all the rumours so they aren't disappointed but... If Crackberry members keep being let down by RIM these residual owners are going to dwindle.
    That being said, I was not waiting for 2.1 at the end of July because it was never announced. I look forward to the improvements but would rather have a stable release than one that is rushed to fulfil a rumour.
    08-03-12 06:42 AM
    Which means that 2.1 isn't going to be coming out for a while yet. If it were coming out soon, RIM wouldn't have bothered with this "minor" update to 2.0.1.
    rimshot 1 likes this.
    08-03-12 07:19 AM
181 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD