I admit that part of me was expecting it today. I don't know why I associate updates with Tuesdays but I do.

Still wishing isn't going to get it here any faster. It will arrive when it arrives - nothing we can do about it. *sigh*
    07-31-12 10:38 PM
    if you're getting impatient for PB OS 2.1 here's a view on waiting from Sam Weller (Charles Dickens "Pickwick Papers"):

"'SAM!'

" 'Halloo,' replied the man with the white hat.

" 'Number twenty-two wants his boots.'

"'Ask number twenty-two, vether he'll have 'em now, or vait till he gets 'em,' was the reply.

"'Come, don't be a fool, Sam,' said the girl, coaxingly, 'the gentleman wants his boots directly.'

"`Well, you are a nice young 'ooman for a musical party, you are,' said the boot-cleaner. 'Look at these here boots � eleven pair o' boots; and one shoe as b'longs to number six, with the wooden leg. The eleven boots is to be called at half-past eight and the shoe at nine. Who's number twenty-two, that's to put all the others out? No, no; reg'lar rotation, as Jack Ketch said, ven he tied the men up. Sorry to keep you a-waiten', Sir, but I'll attend to you directly.'
    08-01-12 03:44 AM
    I WANT MY F'N UPDATE AND I WANT IT NOW!

OK I'm better for another month. Nothing has changed and still using it as always.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    08-01-12 07:09 AM
    I tweeted Michael Clewley an idea that may remove the speculation he doesn't want to partake in, that would be to remove it. Prevention is always better than the curer.

Dedicate the team to a 3 month update cycle, last Tuesday of each calendar quarter. No speculation, no rumors. Better for RIM, better for us.

The programming team have set goals and timing, better than the never ending unknown goals. Features that aren't ready are left out until the following quarterly update.

Would you guys be happy with this?
    08-01-12 07:21 AM
    I tweeted Michael Clewley an idea that may remove the speculation he doesn't want to partake in, that would be to remove it. Prevention is always better than the curer.

Dedicate the team to a 3 month update cycle, last Tuesday of each calendar quarter. No speculation, no rumors. Better for RIM, better for us.

The programming team have set goals and timing, better than the never ending unknown goals. Features that aren't ready are left out until the following quarterly update.

Sounds good, but I think a lot of new features are meant for BB10 and I'd rather not updates from 2.1 till BB10 than have half associated updates with dumb updates that aren't really complete.
    08-01-12 07:51 AM

Great idea until the first quarterly update is late as usual. Again, there was this whole concept of "incremental" updates which lasted until it fell aside after one try at that. So, nice idea but it won't happen.

And I know oatmeal is good but wow, such a mood altering chemical should be banned!
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-01-12 08:30 AM
    Oh boooo fricken hoo... I love how you guys hang on every word and think that "early" summer means by July 31st... Anyone that is smart enough... will realize if you look at the calendar, Summer starts June 21st and ends Sept 22nd? or 21st, We haven't even hit the half way mark of the summer and you guys are whining and people like kb5zht like to think their $hit is holy than thou and think that early summer should mean by sometime in July.

Get a fricken life people. I love my playbook as it is, do I want an update to enrich my already great experience? Sure, but I'm not whining that its July 31st and no update.

My friend told me (who works at RIM) that the official 2.1 update will come in the next 2-4 weeks. So that MAY take it to mid summer, so they might be 2-3 weeks off of "Early" summer. F*ck
    So... are we calmer now?

I'm curious...

I'd always assumed Summer to be the months of June/July/August - though here in the UK we don't ever seem to see much sun unfortunately.

It's certainly the definition of Summer used commonly in the UK. And I'm sure most Brits would never consider September to be a "summer month"... it's the first month of Autumn (Fall, to you over the pond).

Would the average "Yank in the Street" consider the Summer to be the period between the Summer solstice and Autumn equinox, or would they use the same June..August definition?
    08-01-12 09:19 AM
    I don't really care so much about the updates in OS 2.1... I am more interested is why it takes so long to provide fairly trivial updates?

Come on.... portrait mail...? This should have come through as a minor 10MB update months ago....

It seems that we are very, very far away from BB10... that's what concerns me.
    08-01-12 09:20 AM
    [warn]PLEASE QUIT THE PETTY BICKERING

Moderators are becoming frustrated by ongoing antics and provocation which would be more familiar in pre-teen school yards. We may lose all remaining patience with the ongoing mutual reporting of opponents for trivial issues where fault is clearly visible on both sides.

If members behave like children we will treat them like children. That means timeouts and warnings. If you waste our time with avoidable cleanups we WILL take firm action to bring the disruption to an end. If you want a week off use a little self control and just take the time, there is no need to provoke a ban to enforce the break.
    [/warn]
    08-01-12 09:35 AM
    I am sorry for the comments this morning, I just despise the negative RIM talk when there wasn't ANY official word on an update coming by July31st
    anon(2757538) likes this.
    08-01-12 10:01 AM
    What I find funny is that the "rim can do no wrong" crowd plays it both ways. If a release date or schedule is made, they toot their horn, release the balloons and uncork the champagne in the forums... While, when the more likely scenarios take place where rim Is late they claim it wasn't really a schedule.
    Please enlighten me to where Alec Saunders, Thorstien Heinz or any person said in PUBLIC that said it would be definitely out by early summer? Your link that you posted early only eludes to the fact they are aiming for an early summer release... WHICH was before the announcement of the delay of BB10.... The road map they were on until May was 2.1OS release by Summer Time, and BB10 for PB in Oct/Nov just after the BB10 hardware launch in Sept/Oct.

The push out of BB10 until Q1 2013 meant they pushed out those timelines by a few weeks and up to 2 months for the hardware.

So this isn't a RIM can do no wrong, it's not many people understand how the updates and lead up to BB10 was going, one delay on anything on this path means everything is pushed back.

You can chose to believe me or not, but I have the inside information from my friend. I personally don't care if you do or not, but I'm telling you what I know, and I'm debating with you because NO ONE publicly said early summer or July 31st for a PB update.

Right now, RIM can't afford to say anything publicly because if they do slip a date, their heads will be burned at the cross, and so they have been hush hush since the BB10 delay was announced.

Step back and think about it before you go bashing me, or criticizing the RIM faithful, maybe cause someone like me actually knows more thats going on than you do.
    08-01-12 10:15 AM
    I'm also disappointed that there was no 2.1 update. I was looking forward to sideloading some of the professional medical apps using the improved Android player, which apparently makes them stable, as told by beta testers.

But hey, all you 2.1 whiners, think about it like this... Even if there HAD been an update, we would exhaust all the positives in one day and then start to and moan that it was not enough, or that it was somehow disappointing, the same as what happened with 2.0. And with RIM's history, you KNOW that would happen, and WILL happen.

Precisely because we're all so emotionally attached to the platform, our expectations are pure fantasy, especially judged by RIM's past ability to deliver. The key to happiness is to lower your expectations. If RIM falls apart tomorrow, I'll still be using the Playbook the day after and the day after to do the things that I need it for. Everything else, all potential future upgrades, should be an unexpected surprise.

If you don't like that philosophy then sell your Playbook today. I mean it. Life is too short to be complaining on forums about things that neither you nor any other person on that forum can control.
    bldshd and mnhockeycoach99 like this.
    08-01-12 10:56 AM
    I'm also disappointed that there was no 2.1 update. I was looking forward to sideloading some of the professional medical apps using the improved Android player, which apparently makes them stable, as told by beta testers.

But hey, all you 2.1 whiners, think about it like this... Even if there HAD been an update, we would exhaust all the positives in one day and then start to and moan that it was not enough, or that it was somehow disappointing, the same as what happened with 2.0. And with RIM's history, you KNOW that would happen, and WILL happen.

Precisely because we're all so emotionally attached to the platform, our expectations are pure fantasy, especially judged by RIM's past ability to deliver. The key to happiness is to lower your expectations. If RIM falls apart tomorrow, I'll still be using the Playbook the day after and the day after to do the things that I need it for. Everything else, all potential future upgrades, should be an unexpected surprise.

If you don't like that philosophy then sell your Playbook today. I mean it. Life is too short to be complaining on forums about things that neither you nor any other person on that forum can control.
    Or...RIM can just focus on BB10 and not bring any updates for the Playbook and BB Smartphones...such PB OS 2.1, BB OS 7.1.

The pace RIM is following right now...it's going to take another 2 to 3 months to have a fully stable BB10 OS even after the Q1 release of 2013.

After all..."We would exhaust all the positives in one day and then start to and moan that it was not enough, or that it was somehow disappointing"

"And with RIM's history, you KNOW that would happen, and WILL happen."
    08-01-12 12:36 PM
    "I just despise the negative RIM talk when there wasn't ANY official word on an update coming by July31st."

Sorry, but that's not good enough. Given the extensive talk on Crackberry about a July 31 release date, of which Rim could not have been unaware even if it was not the source, the smart thing to do would have been to post a disclaimer. The fact that it didn't, that it let expectations rise unchecked, speaks volumes, in my view, about Rim's commitment to its customers. It also speaks volumes about its tone-deaf approach to how it is perceived by the public. Did Rim not even consider how it would look (another deadline missed, whether true or not) when July 31 came and went with no 2.1 release? This is, apparently, a company that pays too little attention to details, niggling though they may be, that feed into its reputation. We saw the same with the actual delay (the latest one) of BB10. No explanation, not even any attempt to spin it and therefore give its customers some sense of justifiable delay. Nope. Just no release till 'early' next year, as if it was of no consequence. Meanwhile, Apple has announced a new phone and mini-tablet for release on Sept. 12, and the world expects something on that date.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-01-12 12:47 PM
    My PlayBook is just fine and I am very happy with it the way it is. I'm in no rush. Besides, I bought my PlayBook with OS 1 in it. It's a bonus that they have upgraded it to 2.0 for free. I'm not one to complain about the delay of another free update.
    Last edited by deercreekmichael; 08-01-12 at 01:03 PM.
    08-01-12 12:59 PM
    I can understand that some people are disappointed at the wait and some people don't care. What I don't understand is the vehement arguing going on in here. It's a tablet...not a life or death issue. Time to give it a rest I think.
    08-01-12 01:04 PM
    My PlayBook is just fine and I am very happy with it the way it is. I'm in no rush.
    Exactly...just 2 more weeks, just 14 more days, just 336 more hours, just 20160 more minutes, just 1,209,600 more seconds, just 1,209,600,000 Milliseconds
    08-01-12 01:18 PM
    "I just despise the negative RIM talk when there wasn't ANY official word on an update coming by July31st."

Sorry, but that's not good enough. Given the extensive talk on Crackberry about a July 31 release date, of which Rim could not have been unaware even if it was not the source, the smart thing to do would have been to post a disclaimer. The fact that it didn't, that it let expectations rise unchecked, speaks volumes, in my view, about Rim's commitment to its customers. It also speaks volumes about its tone-deaf approach to how it is perceived by the public. Did Rim not even consider how it would look (another deadline missed, whether true or not) when July 31 came and went with no 2.1 release? This is, apparently, a company that pays too little attention to details, niggling though they may be, that feed into its reputation. We saw the same with the actual delay (the latest one) of BB10. No explanation, not even any attempt to spin it and therefore give its customers some sense of justifiable delay. Nope. Just no release till 'early' next year, as if it was of no consequence. Meanwhile, Apple has announced a new phone and mini-tablet for release on Sept. 12, and the world expects something on that date.
    1st, what talk on Crackberry about July 31st except for people all speculating? Or are you talking about The PB 4G LTE that was leaked by someone at Bell that "May" have been wrong? Today MobileSyrup posted this Rogers locations now receiving boxes labelled with "PLAYBOOK SECURITY" | MobileSyrup.com

There was no concrete evidence even by crackberry team members that anything was going to happen on the 31st.

2nd Apple is making their "official" announcement on Sept 12 and releasing MAYBE Sept 21st
    08-01-12 01:21 PM

You say this like the vast majority of Playbook owners are even aware of a rumored release. The typical playbook consumer are going through their daily lives, unaware of a website named "Crackberry", let alone a rumored OS release. The rumors have spread throughout the Crackberry community, which is a small percentage of the overall user community. Those users will wake up one day and see a notification of a new OS release numbered 2.1. They'll be oblivious to all the rumors, late releases, and mud slinging.

Yes, it would have been nice to let the Crackberry community know about this bogus rumor, but for the average consumer, seems like a null point.
    08-01-12 01:25 PM
    We should also remember the southern hemisphere is now in winter, so their early summer is Dec '12.
    maybe that's it! lol

So... are we calmer now?

I'm curious...

I'd always assumed Summer to be the months of June/July/August - though here in the UK we don't ever seem to see much sun unfortunately.

It's certainly the definition of Summer used commonly in the UK. And I'm sure most Brits would never consider September to be a "summer month"... it's the first month of Autumn (Fall, to you over the pond).

Would the average "Yank in the Street" consider the Summer to be the period between the Summer solstice and Autumn equinox, or would they use the same June..August definition?
    July & August are usually considered summer here (Canada). Often June too.
    08-01-12 01:28 PM
    Personally it doesn't matter much to me when it happens but there is a bit of frustration with the whole situation. It's not just 2.1 but all updates. RIM needs to pull it together if they want to be taken seriously as a major player in the market again. There are plenty of areas where they are trying to improve this but timely and consistent updates still seem to elude them. The PlayBook is an excellent piece of hardware but it's crippled by the folks who develop for the OS. It worries me that even basic OS functionality took them over a year.
    08-01-12 01:37 PM

A quick google search, however, will reveal several websites where people quoted rim reps, especially at one show or the other, that did in fact say "early summer". Now they may have hit a snag (rim devs), or these reps may have all spoken out of turn (which yes rim should have moved officially and with statements on that, especially given the environment rim finds itself now)... But with all these quoted sources, a person being intellectually honest can't accurately say "early summer" has never been said by RIM on some levels.

Anyway, we've beat the dead horse enough.
    08-01-12 01:45 PM
    Those of us who continue to invest time and money in BlackBerry products are hoping these products survive and thrive, despite all the "RIM is dead" speculation. It does become emotional, which of course is fed by rumors of pending improvements. I have the same issue with AT&T not releasing OS 7.1 for the Bold 9900. It's probably not RIM's fault, but it adds to the emotional feeling of "was I dumb to buy this product?" I don't think so, but product updates certainly reinforce product purchase decisions. Here's hoping they continue to arrive.
    08-01-12 02:28 PM
    Those of us who continue to invest time and money in BlackBerry products are hoping these products survive and thrive, despite all the "RIM is dead" speculation. It does become emotional, which of course is fed by rumors of pending improvements. I have the same issue with AT&T not releasing OS 7.1 for the Bold 9900. It's probably not RIM's fault, but it adds to the emotional feeling of "was I dumb to buy this product?" I don't think so, but product updates certainly reinforce product purchase decisions. Here's hoping they continue to arrive.
    Now I know it's not official AT&T BUT you can load another carriers OS7.1. I did that with my 9900 and then about 2 months later, Rogers came out with their own version. But it doesn't need to be AT&T specific. All other OS updates will be the same as AT&T
    08-01-12 02:33 PM
    Thanks Quicksilvr3. I do follow that discussion on other Boards, and am tempted to try, much like I was tempted to try the Beta 2.1 for PlayBook. But I'm on a hosted Exchange server, and have been careful because I was worried that something other than an AT&T upgrade might cause me problems. I've actually been working with BB support on a PlayBook 2.0 problem (Print To Go not working in a domain environment) so I'm cautious not to mess something else up, across both devices!
    08-01-12 02:45 PM
181 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD