It's speculation based on the Bell document showing the 4G LTE release as July 31, 2012. The speculation being it would indicate 2.1 would be available for it at that time. If you read the body of the document, it only references 2.0.
    My concern is not over not getting 2.1. It's about the Playbook 4G. There was an image of a 'leaked' document indicating that carriers were preparing for a 7/31 release of the Playbook 4G. I don't pay too much attention to things like that except that it was picked up by this site as well as other BB blog sites and reported in blogs (not forums). In addition, this 'leaked' image was accompanied by blog posts concerning OS 2.1 and its features.

Recently, RIM has been very public in it's communication as well as reaction to potentially damaging (from a PR perspective) information floating around. They were very quick to dismiss rumors about no keyboarded BB10 device. RIM is very aware of what the rumor mill is churning. Given their previous leap into the media to dispell previous rumors, I took their silence on this to indicate that this rumor might be credible.

I'm generally not a rumor chaser, but given the 'leaked' document and the supporting blog posts by reputable sources, I assumed that we'd be seeing a new 4G Playbook announced today. It's certainly my fault for speculating that it would make sense to release 2.1 along with it, but it's the absence of either a reaction to the current buzz the 4G Playbook or an acutal announcement that concerns me.
    rotorwrench and KOOLWATER like this.
    07-31-12 11:15 AM
    sun must be below the yard arm in some part of the world...
    Fair do's......it's beer o'clock in Spain now.......and sunny.
    07-31-12 11:19 AM
    My guess: 2.1 includes elements of BB10 that RIM isn't quite ready to reveal yet.
    07-31-12 11:21 AM
    I agree, and as others have posted, until RIM announces it, can't really trust it. Although I admit to harboring wishful thinking.
    07-31-12 11:28 AM
    Micheal Clewly just tweeted:

"Hey guys, there's no silence but you know I cannot partake in rumors and speculation. 2.1 is in beta right now and will launch when ready"
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    07-31-12 11:40 AM
    Micheal Clewly just tweeted:

"Hey guys, there's no silence but you know I cannot partake in rumors and speculation. 2.1 is in beta right now and will launch when ready"
    So... it ain't coming in July either then.

You can all stop hitting the check for updates button now.

So much for the "OS2.1 by early Summer" briefings at May 2012 BB World.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 07-31-12 at 12:07 PM.
    07-31-12 12:05 PM
    RIM just fix the damn browser for god's sake!

You guys can stop trying to attract developers.....we know appworld will never be able to compete with Apple store or Google play.

Just make the browser better....no checker boarding...no lag when using the keyboard in the browser!!!!

Make the browser the best of the best......and we won't need any apps from you guys.
    07-31-12 12:31 PM
    It is coming very soon!

For now let's just "lets rock and roll this"
    lol
    07-31-12 12:35 PM
    Again RIM says it's coming soon...or wait, "when ready" which could be next year for all we know. Nothing new here and I'm not holding my breath or hitting my update button. Same old story.
    07-31-12 12:41 PM
    No, it's not, it's notbad thoughand the2.1 beta speeds it along a bit too.

(unedited typing to prove the lag is a ballache not to mention the unresponsive 'edit' blue arrows)
    07-31-12 12:43 PM
    Am I the only one who has come to realize that the PlayBook browser is garbage?

Honestly, try browsing with 3 or 4 tabs for awhile and see how often you manage to switch a tab without the browser going completely bat**** crazy.

So it has flash, great, so do most Android tablets.
    MrNutt and specialized888 like this.
    07-31-12 12:46 PM
    Again RIM says it's coming soon...or wait, "when ready" which could be next year for all we know. Nothing new here and I'm not holding my breath or hitting my update button. Same old story.
    Yup. Same ol', same ol'. You'd think RIM (or maybe us CrackBerrians!) would've learned by now wouldn't you?

Seems Thor's "New RIM" isn't much different to the "Old RIM" when it comes to meeting release dates, BB10 and now OS2.1.
    07-31-12 12:51 PM
    You know what's funny? This!!! The BB browser is still the best of all the tablet browsers! And yet you still complain... my god!!
    Yea, checker boarding even after the site fully loads...yep, best of all the tablet browsers.

I'm fine with a little checker boarding while a site is still loading...but even after it finished loading?

Seriously....C'mon!
    MrNutt, BB10FTW, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    07-31-12 12:59 PM

Honestly, try browsing with 3 or 4 tabs for awhile and see how often you manage to switch a tab without the browser going completely bat**** crazy.

Sorry, please enlighten me how the PB browser is garbage?

We have 2 at home, I use my 64gb PB browser extensively almost every night and on the move and since the last update it's been solid. I had the many "poofs" in the previous version and I think I may have had one out of all the times I've used it at this current version and I can say I'm pretty freakin' impressed.. I run at around 10 tabs open at each session.

My wife uses hers less extensively but I've never heard her complain ... again .. at this version.. she was cussing pretty good when trying to place her on-line GAP orders and it kept crashing on her all the time in the last version.

I'm actually kind of concern upgrading to 2.1 because in my opinion the PB browser is running the best I've ever seen it and that's including my MS Internet Explorer browser on my six other PC's at home.
    07-31-12 01:16 PM
    I can't say I share your enthusiasm lynx_claw, it's okay but no better than safari on the new ipad3, that said the PB is a third of the price.
    07-31-12 01:20 PM
    I accept the fact that the pb browser is no safari on the ipad. But at least i can view full web pages. I can deal with some chekerboarding.

Its not the best out there.
    But im pretty sure its NOT garbage. AT ALL.
    wicher and kbz1960 like this.
    07-31-12 01:34 PM
    Sorry, please enlighten me how the PB browser is garbage?

We have 2 at home, I use my 64gb PB browser extensively almost every night and on the move and since the last update it's been solid. I had the many "poofs" in the previous version and I think I may have had one out of all the times I've used it at this current version and I can say I'm pretty freakin' impressed.. I run at around 10 tabs open at each session.

My wife uses hers less extensively but I've never heard her complain ... again .. at this version.. she was cussing pretty good when trying to place her on-line GAP orders and it kept crashing on her all the time in the last version.

I'm actually kind of concern upgrading to 2.1 because in my opinion the PB browser is running the best I've ever seen it and that's including my MS Internet Explorer browser on my six other PC's at home.
    so your reference is MS internet explorer?
    zethaaron likes this.
    07-31-12 01:41 PM
    Yea, checker boarding even after the site fully loads...yep, best of all the tablet browsers.

I'm fine with a little checker boarding while a site is still loading...but even after it finished loading?

Seriously....C'mon!
    Checkerboarding shouldn't be happening at any time in this day & age. Saying the browser is a piece of garbage is being nice to RIM.

And don't get me started with the other shortcomings and missing features. They've been mentioned ad nauseum here so I won't won't list them again.

At best, the browser is a very basic one not unlike what we used in the early days of internet browsing. Doesn't come close in performance or features to IE on my laptop, since some want to compare them.

The worst part of all this is that it is symptomatic that nothing has changed at all at RIM. They missed the BB10 deadline, and they'll probably miss their next one. They just don't listen to their customers and couldn't care less cause they already know its game over for them.
    Last edited by dynot; 07-31-12 at 01:49 PM.
    MrNutt, bodjor and rickgainsmith like this.
    07-31-12 01:43 PM
    Nobody said there's gonna be an update today. Nobody said that today they'll release the PlayBook 4G.

Just wishful thinking

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    07-31-12 01:56 PM
    This back and forth quarrelling & bickering about the browser and checker-boarding is all relative....

When I am downstairs and only have 1 or 2 wi-fi bars, I do experience the checker-boarding, but when I'm upstairs close to my router and have full wi-fi signal, I cannot complain. Then the browser ROCKS! So ensure you have a strong signal and stop complain about the checker-boarding.
    07-31-12 02:06 PM
    Then,they will complain that they have too stong of a signal.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    07-31-12 02:16 PM

My browser OPENS with 17 tabs. Never had an issue.
    07-31-12 02:19 PM
    Grow up and admit that the browser is not great, it's ok. Occasional crashes, slow speeds even with flash off. Admit that not everything is perfect and having good wifi has nothing to do with checker boarding. No OS is perfect whether it's IOS Android windows etc. and just because one thing is great for you doesn't mean it is for everyone.
    07-31-12 02:22 PM
    This back and forth quarrelling & bickering about the browser and checker-boarding is all relative....

When I am downstairs and only have 1 or 2 wi-fi bars, I do experience the checker-boarding, but when I'm upstairs close to my router and have full wi-fi signal, I cannot complain. Then the browser ROCKS! So ensure you have a strong signal and stop complain about the checker-boarding.
    That coupled with a pretty decent connection. Browser issues for me are non existent with the 2.1 Beta, the only additional feature that would be nice to have is bookmark rearrangement, although I can definitely do without.
    07-31-12 02:23 PM
    so your reference is MS internet explorer?
    Yeah I like to aim high
    07-31-12 02:23 PM
181 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD