Playbook just got a new lifeline thrown at it.
    The 'new' Ipad is really the same hold ipad1/2/2.1 or whatever.
    RIM can now do some cool stuff with the playbook on the software end to their advantage.
    sagec, joelled, recompile and 2 others like this.
    03-07-12 12:26 PM
    Nope. Sorry.
    yanicmb likes this.
    03-07-12 12:30 PM
    Nope. Sorry.
    Wow. How insightful.

Anyways - after looking at the imore site, the new additions to the ipad are...

- Retina display at 2024�1536.
    - A5X chipset with quad-core graphics.
    - 5 megapixel rear camera, IR filter, autofocus and white balance, face detection (essentially iPhone 4 camera with iPhone 4S software)

I honestly expected there to be all kinds of new crazy stuff but alas - it looks like all it will be is some faster and better hardware and better display.

Again, I dont see the new ipad causing the downfall of RIM anymore than the ipad 2.

Edit: I see they are updating the site so it looks like more spec's are forthcoming.
    Last edited by mjs416; 03-07-12 at 12:51 PM.
    diegonei and RicThot like this.
    03-07-12 12:36 PM
    Wow. How insightful.

- 5 megapixel rear camera, IR filter, autofocus and white balance, face detection (essentially iPhone 4 camera with iPhone 4S software)

I honestly expected there to be all kinds of new crazy stuff but alas - it looks like all it will be is some faster and better hardware and better display.

Again, I dont see the new ipad causing the downfall of RIM anymore than the ipad 2.
    The only problem will be any drop in ipad2 price. If it falls to the 250-200 range, then pb may be in trouble. RIM will need to drop prices again, come out with some new hardware but at the same price, or surprise everyone with some type of appworld or os innovation.
    03-07-12 12:42 PM
    Let's see..a 'Leapster' vs an HD quad-core screaming demon. I'll take the demon thanks.
    03-07-12 12:48 PM
    The only problem will be any drop in ipad2 price. If it falls to the 250-200 range, then pb may be in trouble. RIM will need to drop prices again, come out with some new hardware but at the same price, or surprise everyone with some type of appworld or os innovation.
    Not if they can increase apps, attract developers and competitvely price them...
    Not a huge playbook fan, but with what I can see from 'the new ipad', frankily speaking after so much waiting Apple seemed to have disappointed.

OS 2.0 added WAy MORE feature to the same playbook I bought, than this new ipad did....
    Almost uncanny of Apple and from a neutral point of view, I would have to say apple disappointed and this is like a HUGE lifeline for RIM to push Playbook to the max FTW.
    owlsowls likes this.
    03-07-12 12:50 PM
    Let's see..a 'Leapster' vs an HD quad-core screaming demon. I'll take the demon thanks.
    LOL! Spoken like a person who is truly has no grasp on computing hardware. Because clearly Angry Birds requires a multi-core processor performing a billion tasks per second.
    03-07-12 12:51 PM
    Funny guy eh?
    03-07-12 12:51 PM

The only folks who said that the iPad would be the downfall of the PB were folks right in this forum.

I think Apple is more concerned with selling products than executing RIM. Some folks here need to get over this thought.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-07-12 at 12:59 PM.
    03-07-12 12:53 PM
    Wow. How insightful.

I'm curious, but can you articulate what other new features you were expecting? I'm interested.

I did notice you omitted the LTE capability, and under-spec'd the resolution a bit, but I guess it's not all that significant to you.

Of course you don't. Based on your avatar, you don't have any eyes.
    03-07-12 12:53 PM
    The new IPAD can now record video in 1080p LOL

Yes this is a life line for the PB, but more like a pause. To each his own
    Jeovex likes this.
    03-07-12 12:57 PM
    Not if they can increase apps, attract developers and competitvely price them...
    This has been the story since App World launched. It never seems to happen, though.

Not a huge playbook fan, but with what I can see from 'the new ipad', frankily speaking after so much waiting Apple seemed to have disappointed.
    "so much waiting"? You mean the one year since the last one? Unreal.

OS 2.0 added WAy MORE feature to the same playbook I bought, than this new ipad did....Almost uncanny of Apple and from a neutral point of view, I would have to say apple disappointed and this is like a HUGE lifeline for RIM to push Playbook to the max FTW.
    I didn't realize a software update could add 4G LTE and 2.5 million more pixels to your PlayBook. That must have been some upgrade.
    mca312, brucep1 and kennyliu like this.
    03-07-12 12:58 PM
    Better graphics and higher processing power are great, but in this case they seem to come with a price: heavier, and thicker. Considering that at least some users have reported a preference for the actual physical device of the Playbook due to it's light weight and grippy surface, there's some chance these considerations may move a few sales.

The biggest questions I'd have would revolve around heat and battery life.

Finally, there's the whole issue of innovation here. The iPad3 doesn't seem to come with any new functionality. Compare that with the OS 2.0 upgrade that added Print to Go, and BB Remote; both innovations that Apple doesn't match.
    03-07-12 12:59 PM
    people with idevices must have a really good data plan to be able to stream all the 'retina' content or use the icloud.

Everytime i watch the icloud commercial i am horrified at how they use data. correct me if I am wrong, but if I dl an app on a phone...does it also automatically dl it on my computer and tablet as well? or if i take a picture from one of the devices, does it automatically upload/download to all my other devices?? that's one crazy data plan. Not to mention a complete waste of hd space which can't be upgraded.
    recompile likes this.
    03-07-12 01:00 PM
    <snip> Of course you don't. Based on your avatar, you don't have any eyes.
    I hope that was an attempt at humor and not harassment for their avatar. I will take it as a type of humor, if it will not be addressed again.

Cheers
    03-07-12 01:01 PM

I just spit out my water...
    kthhrrsn, Willard814 and wcgarette like this.
    03-07-12 01:01 PM
    Better graphics and higher processing power are great, but in this case they seem to come with a price: heavier, and thicker. Considering that at least some users have reported a preference for the actual physical device of the Playbook due to it's light weight and grippy surface, there's some chance these considerations may move a few sales.

The biggest questions I'd have would revolve around heat and battery life.

Finally, there's the whole issue of innovation here. The iPad3 doesn't seem to come with any new functionality. Compare that with the OS 2.0 upgrade that added Print to Go, and BB Remote; both innovations that Apple doesn't match.

Innovation at Apple died with Jobs. They haven't released anything innovative for a while now. Iphone4s and now this ipad2s lol.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-07-12 01:02 PM
    This has been the story since App World launched. It never seems to happen, though.

"so much waiting"? You mean the one year since the last one? Unreal.

I didn't realize a software update could add 4G LTE and 2.5 million more pixels to your PlayBook. That must have been some upgrade.
    I really don't know how I managed to survive without iPad HD. I think it will go great with my HD sunglasses.

Resolution on the PlayBook is plenty, TYVM. Also, your "resolution" on the iPad does nothing but increase the sharpness of the material on screen. It does not actually give you more functional real-estate. Apple is not after more working surface
    The stock seems to be reflecting that as well.
    I'm curious, but can you articulate what other new features you were expecting? I'm interested.
    I honestly thought they would be incorporating alot of what we are seeing on other tablets - more social networking integration, universal remote's, a new peripheral or 2, new form factor (whether be shape or size), etc. Instead they say "here's a faster processor crammed into the same form factor - better display -no stfu and give me $500"

I did notice you omitted the LTE capability, and under-spec'd the resolution a bit, but I guess it's not all that significant to you.
    They updated their list of spec's after I posted. What I posted was a direct copy+paste from imore. Incorrect info? Blame the iphone fan site.

And the LTE attribute is fairly insignificant for alot of locations since LTE isnt even available yet. I know its not available in my area. Still on 3G.

I see in 2-D

/shameless gorillaz plug
    I'm feeling like Apple's "innovation" (if it can even be called that) has finally stalled and RIM HAS TO take advantage of this.... this is a chance i'm pretty sure that they werent expecting.... they must execute properly BB10 and on time this year or the PB will not grow..
    dkjohn. likes this.
    03-07-12 01:09 PM
    I hope that was an attempt at humor and not harassment for their avatar. I will take it as a type of humor, if it will not be addressed again.

Cheers
    You do do realize his avatar isn't a self portrait, right?
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-07-12 01:11 PM
    These two tablets are in different markets due to their size and prices. You can't compare a small car to a large car. If the iPad Mini comes out at the same price range however, game over for the PB.
    Fuzzballz likes this.
    03-07-12 01:11 PM

OS 2.0 added WAy MORE feature to the same playbook I bought, than this new ipad did....
    Almost uncanny of Apple and from a neutral point of view, I would have to say apple disappointed and this is like a HUGE lifeline for RIM to push Playbook to the max FTW.
    I agree with the need to increase apps and attract developers, but it needs to be a major increase of quality apps and developers. The masses are attuned to Apple mania and will run to the hype of anything Apple. OS 2.0 brought some light to the playbook, but nay sayers will be quick to point out that a lot of the 2.0 updates were expected at launch; in essence the Playbook just arrived to the playing field, while others are completing laps.

The pb needs to come out with something that will attract the average Joe away from a discounted ipad2 or some other popular tablet.
    03-07-12 01:14 PM
    I really don't know how I managed to survive without iPad HD. I think it will go great with my HD sunglasses.
    I'd get that checked out then. By the way, it isn't called "iPad HD." You must be following rumor sites.

Resolution on the PlayBook is plenty, TYVM.
    I never claimed the PlayBook resolution was insufficient, just that one device now has 600K pixels while the other has 3.1 million, the kind of change that isn't possible via software upgrade.

I'm sure the res is fine, kind of like how Android users claim their battery life is just fine and iOS users claim they're fine without Flash.

Also, your "resolution" on the iPad does nothing but increase the sharpness of the material on screen.
    Good point, since we know that there isn't anyone who wants increased screen sharpness.
    03-07-12 01:14 PM
256 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD