I was on a shared wifi connection yesterday when I was informed that my playbook was visible and he was able to tell me what some of my files were, since then I have encrypted my files but my tablet was the only one visible(also the only blackberry) do I need an extra security.
    11-18-13 06:46 AM
    Turn off WiFi file sharing under the Settings menu.
    11-18-13 06:57 AM
    Turn off WiFi file sharing under the Settings menu.
    agreed,,, only use that when @ home on a secure network...
    11-18-13 07:07 AM
    should have thought of that, it's good that I have nothing worth stealing. thanks
    11-18-13 07:17 AM
    should have thought of that, it's good that I have nothing worth stealing. thanks
    Setting a wifi file sharing password fixes that problem.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-18-13 10:04 AM
    Setting a wifi file sharing password fixes that problem.
    psssst baby pm me your password?
    11-18-13 10:26 AM
    The PlayBook is visible because of its Samba client which shows the file folders as share folders to Windows. Most tablets require an additional app for this, while the PlayBook does it natively.

Like Cynycl said, set a sharing password and your files will be safe. I'd also change the default user name of 'playbook' as well.
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    11-18-13 10:33 AM
    The PlayBook is visible because of its Samba client which shows the file folders as share folders to Windows. Most tablets require an additional app for this, while the PlayBook does it natively.

Like Cynycl said, set a sharing password and your files will be safe. I'd also change the default user name of 'playbook' as well.
    Interesting, why do you suggest that?
    11-18-13 10:36 AM
    I'd change it just because it's a default name. Overall there's no real security risk in not changing it, but I tend to be as secure as possible since I use mine on customer networks.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 11:25 AM
    I'd change it just because it's a default name. Overall there's no real security risk in not changing it, but I tend to be as secure as possible since I use mine on customer networks.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure the default name is PLAYBOOK-XXXXX. The x refers to a code of numbers that corresponds to you individual playbook. I take your point though if you encrypt your files and password your playbook there is very little that can get into your files only you. However if you use it on a customer network, then the IT department (if the IT Manager isn't stupid) must authorise your connection to his network, unless we are talking about very small companies. Your playbook will then be completely visible to him. Always remember you can never hide anything from a good IT Manager! I do mean ANYTHING!
    11-18-13 12:01 PM
    I'm sure the default name is PLAYBOOK-XXXXX. The x refers to a code of numbers that corresponds to you individual playbook. I take your point though if you encrypt your files and password your playbook there is very little that can get into your files only you. However if you use it on a customer network, then the IT department (if the IT Manager isn't stupid) must authorise your connection to his network, unless we are talking about very small companies. Your playbook will then be completely visible to him. Always remember you can never hide anything from a good IT Manager! I do mean ANYTHING!
    If you want to have real fun with it, rename it something like "FBI REMOTE SURVEILLANCE DEVICE #57892363" and wait for the fun to commence!
    sad_old_man and anon(5597702) like this.
    11-18-13 12:15 PM
    If you want to have real fun with it, rename it something like "FBI REMOTE SURVEILLANCE DEVICE #57892363" and wait for the fun to commence!
    Been there, done that, got the T shirt, read the book etc........ It is good fun though but don't tell anyone I said that!
    11-18-13 12:26 PM
    Stop blaming the BlackBerry PlayBook for your in ability to know better than to leave WiFi sharing enabled. Sorry I am a little touchy about people blaming their devices.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    11-18-13 04:46 PM
    Stop blaming the BlackBerry PlayBook for your in ability to know better than to leave WiFi sharing enabled. Sorry I am a little touchy about people blaming their devices.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    try the decaf...
    11-18-13 06:56 PM
    try the decaf...
    Or putts the bokkles down?
    11-19-13 10:07 AM
    omg what is all the noise in this thread about? As the poster said above, set a PASSWORD for Wifi sharing. And while you're at it encrypt your device in case you ever lose it and then no one will ever be able to get at your files.
    11-19-13 01:13 PM
    Shame about the thread title.

Posted via CB10
    rotorwrench likes this.
    11-19-13 07:36 PM
    omg what is all the noise in this thread about? As the poster said above, set a PASSWORD for Wifi sharing. And while you're at it encrypt your device in case you ever lose it and then no one will ever be able to get at your files.
    Just blame me everyone else does. Oh and I've set my password and encrypted my files.....oh wait I did that when I first got my playbook silly me.......Ok please disregard this post.......except the bit about the noise?
    11-20-13 07:09 AM
    Is that true??
    I think there is a difference between allowing a device to access your network, and having full, unrestricted access to that device.
    Assuming you had WiFi sharing password set, the IT Manager would still have to have that to access your files, unless he somehow actively hacked your device, but even then, if you had a good strong password, I think he would struggle to access your files. Or am I being naive??
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-20-13 08:24 AM
    Is that true??
    I think there is a difference between allowing a device to access your network, and having full, unrestricted access to that device.
    Assuming you had WiFi sharing password set, the IT Manager would still have to have that to access your files, unless he somehow actively hacked your device, but even then, if you had a good strong password, I think he would struggle to access your files. Or am I being naive??
    Hi gorgeous blue eyes. If you control a network, you control a network! Nothing get into the network without your authorisation or that of a person you designate. Therefore you provide the users passwords to gain access and control the rights to what that user can access. If there is a device that is visible to the IT manager that is not completely and entirely visible to him, then it should either be immediately quarantined or deleted. If the manager doesn't know what's connected into his network, then how does he manage the network?

If you can hide anything from an IT Manager then the network is insecure and the individual should immediately be dismissed! Basic practice and common sense!
    11-20-13 08:54 AM
    I see what Sad Old Man is saying: if you're using someone's private (home or corporate) network, your device has to be provisioned for access in some way, shape, or form. In my case, I have a RADIUS account on all of the networks I use my PlayBook on, as well as AD accounts for three of them for RDP use.

You can't just hope to use an authenticated network without any kind of permission, so even if the IT manager doesn't have access to your files (which s/he wouldn't), they'll still know what it is.

In my comment as well, I wasn't talking about changing the hostname of the device (Playbook-last four of PIN), but the user name set for file sharing, which is just playbook.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-20-13 09:33 AM
    [2�] another option here is to set your ssid to "hidden"... [/2�]
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    11-20-13 09:45 AM
    I think you misunderstand me. On a commercial network security has to be paramount? you can log into your amex card account or your bank account but you can't (presuming your normal) roam around the bank's system or download anything onto their system. The system has been designed that way so it provides the service you as a customer require.

The workplace is a different issue as corporate theft is rife and if a device enters the network without approval it should be dealt with accordingly. Devices authorised are or should be fully monitored and controlled unless you want armagdden again. Emails are read, activity is monitored, non activity is monitored and reported upon. If you think otherwise then your career may just be short lived. We are allowed to use our worldwide network with our playbooks with a few exceptions.

1. No playbook passwords may be chosen by the user
    2. No external devices can be connected to your playbook

ie Just be nice, very very nice to your IT Manager/Director and be aware he can see everything!
    11-20-13 10:27 AM
    I see what Sad Old Man is saying: if you're using someone's private (home or corporate) network, your device has to be provisioned for access in some way, shape, or form. In my case, I have a RADIUS account on all of the networks I use my PlayBook on, as well as AD accounts for three of them for RDP use.

You can't just hope to use an authenticated network without any kind of permission, so even if the IT manager doesn't have access to your files (which s/he wouldn't), they'll still know what it is.

In my comment as well, I wasn't talking about changing the hostname of the device (Playbook-last four of PIN), but the user name set for file sharing, which is just playbook.
    Hmm, I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'granting access to the network'.
    We will sometimes grant visitors access to our WiFi connection so that they can use the internet via our broadband connection, however, they do not have access to our server or any other devices on the network and conversely, we cannot access the files on their device - assuming it is password protected (though I guess we could possibly hack into it if we made a determined effort)
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-20-13 11:12 AM
    Hmm, I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'granting access to the network'.
    We will sometimes grant visitors access to our WiFi connection so that they can use the internet via our broadband connection, however, they do not have access to our server or any other devices on the network and conversely, we cannot access the files on their device - assuming it is password protected (though I guess we could possibly hack into it if we made a determined effort)
    Then you are only granting them access to your wifi and not your network? Still be careful under these circumstances because having access to your router could possibly give them access to your system????????? ROUTERS ARE PROGRAMMABLE ?
    11-20-13 11:18 AM
30 12