Since this is being designed "for the Enterprise", what network connectivity options are available for the Enterprise? USB, Ethernet, Firewire?
    11-17-10 12:51 PM
    WiFi and Bluetooth in the initial version, 3G/4G are coming later. Plus, it's been confirmed it has an expansion module spot, so an Ethernet module is always possible. USB isn't networking, and no one uses IP over FireWire (really).
    11-18-10 03:31 AM
    WiFi and Bluetooth in the initial version, 3G/4G are coming later. Plus, it's been confirmed it has an expansion module spot, so an Ethernet module is always possible. USB isn't networking, and no one uses IP over FireWire (really).
    There are USB/Firewire to Ethernet options. Yes, from the Enterprise these are not "normal" options because of support issues. But they are viable when a device has no native ethernet connection.

WiFi is no-go in the Enterprise, not enough security and IF it's available, it's very limited. QNX better have a secure VPN already developed, most companys are not going to want to dev their own just for this device. That's the only way to make this "Enterprise ready" with WiFi.

Bluetooth is device to device, not a networking protocol, non-issue.

To be truly Enterprise ready, wired ethernet connectivity is necessary, IMO.
    11-18-10 08:28 AM
    I am 99% sure it will have some sort of built in vpn connectivity. Blackberry strives on business connectivity so I don't see them dropping the ball on that now. As for ethernet connections I am sure if there is a demand for it someone will create and adapter that works, but personally I highly doubt it will be released as soon as the device is released, maybe shortly after and that too only if there is a demand for it
    11-18-10 11:07 AM
    I am 99% sure it will have some sort of built in vpn connectivity. Blackberry strives on business connectivity so I don't see them dropping the ball on that now. As for ethernet connections I am sure if there is a demand for it someone will create and adapter that works, but personally I highly doubt it will be released as soon as the device is released, maybe shortly after and that too only if there is a demand for it
    Unless RIM uses a standard like ExpressCard, in which case there already is ethernet cards available.
    11-18-10 11:51 AM
    There are USB/Firewire to Ethernet options. Yes, from the Enterprise these are not "normal" options because of support issues. But they are viable when a device has no native ethernet connection.
    USB is not a networking standard, it's a peripheral bus. You can make ethernet cards that connect using USB, just like you make ones that connect using PCI, but it's still ethernet networking not USB.

IP over FireWire does exist, but I've never even heard of anyone using it. In either case, you'd still adapt it to ethernet so we're talking about ethernet networking. How it connects to the PlayBook is irrelevant, your point is support for ethernet networking.

Why would anyone want ethernet networking on a PlayBook? It'd be ridiculous to be walking around with a tablet with an ethernet cable hanging out. It completely defeats the point of a mobile device. Any company that wants tablets knows that means wifi, and that's reasonable. If you have to plug it in to the network there's really no point, you'd be better off with a laptop or desktop.

WPA2 with enterprise authentication is more than secure enough. Combine that with VPN and it's really impenetrable. That should be plenty of security for enterprise use.
    11-18-10 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD