I absolutely love a lot of the features of the new OS, but some stuff just irks me. I know the OS isn't completely finished yet, but I feel like they half assed a few things.

Once of the biggest additions (aside from apps) was the change in the keyboard. However, this new keyboard isn't done across the board. There are some apps (video store and all android apps) that don't take advantage of the new keyboard. IMO, the old keyboard should have been erased and this new one put in it's place. I'm not sure how they did it, but it was done wrong.

Another issue with the keyboard is something we have experienced from the first moment we turned on our PB on release day. We shouldn't have to hide the keyboard to click "next" or "submit" because the poped up keyboard is hiding those buttons.

The last point I will make here is something I didn't expect them to fix yet, but hopefully it will come with OS3 and/or BB10. On our BlackBerry smartphones, there are some menu options that are always there (at least for the most part). Those features allow for Social integration into many apps. For example, when I'm in the images app, I should be able to send a picture to my email, facebook, twitter, etc. I shouldn't have to do things the iOS way and go into facebook and refind the picture to post it to facebook. In fact, it's little things like that that have kept me from every staying with the iPhone. If BB10 doesn't flow like current BlackBerrys in this regard, I'm afraid BB loyalist may be very disappointed.

I truely believe the PlayBook is a beta product for the big release of their BB10 phones. If this is really the case than I am happy with where things are and where they are going. I hope feedback like this will help move things in the right direction.

However, if RIM truely things that the PlayBook is a complete product and plan on releasing BB10 phones in similar fashion than I am a little worried.
    farskija, Fuzzballz, Rello and 1 others like this.
    03-09-12 10:52 AM
    The new keyboard is really a great addition.. With pridictive text it gets even better.. Having numbers available for password is also a nice addition.. Since my pb unlock password itself consists a few numbers..

Its a small screen so no choice but to hide keyboard which isn't a big deal coz it comes second nature to hit hide keyboard button (bottom left) once im done typing.. whats good is that the pb realigns the page to accommodate the text box in the available space..

Try using the browser in fullscreen mode to get a few extra lines..

All that you mentioned missing will be available soon.. All that is there on a bb os7 phone will be available on bb10 and pb.. With much more.. Ppl at rim are not relaxing after the os2.0 updates.. They are at work..

Have faith and patience.. Bb10 + pb are the best investments.. Even os7 + pb is every penny worth..
    rotorwrench, malcerie and kbz1960 like this.
    03-09-12 11:54 AM
    It's going to come.. Wait for bb10 for a final released version of qnx. I'm sure it's going to be awesome
    03-09-12 12:17 PM
    The new keyboard is really a great addition.. With pridictive text it gets even better.. Having numbers available for password is also a nice addition.. Since my pb unlock password itself consists a few numbers..

Its a small screen so no choice but to hide keyboard which isn't a big deal coz it comes second nature to hit hide keyboard button (bottom left) once im done typing.. whats good is that the pb realigns the page to accommodate the text box in the available space..

Try using the browser in fullscreen mode to get a few extra lines..

All that you mentioned missing will be available soon.. All that is there on a bb os7 phone will be available on bb10 and pb.. With much more.. Ppl at rim are not relaxing after the os2.0 updates.. They are at work..

Have faith and patience.. Bb10 + pb are the best investments.. Even os7 + pb is every penny worth..
    I have a ton of faith, I was just giving my feedback to the community and seeing if others had similar or different feedback. As for the new predictive keyboard....I agree with you about how awesome it is, but it isn't always used across the board. Why do I have the old keyboard in the Android player without predictive text and also in the video store. I know there are more examples too. That is the most annoying thing about it. It shouldn't just be in the browser, email, calander, and word. It should be the only keyboard we ever see on the PlayBook!
    purijagmohan likes this.
    03-09-12 12:35 PM
    I disagree, I like the new keypad. Works excellent in my world.
    malcerie and rotorwrench like this.
    03-09-12 12:41 PM
    Have faith
    No, RIM is not God so I'm a client, they're suppliers and I want a product without unexplainable mistakes.

and patience
    Like you're asking for patience again after one year ?

What comes in 2013 then ? View folders in the native browser ? Podcasts for the rest of the world ?
    Last edited by Bakamushi; 03-09-12 at 01:01 PM.
    Fuzzballz likes this.
    03-09-12 12:55 PM
    ^^ You should just leave..
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    03-09-12 01:07 PM
    I disagree, I like the new keypad. Works excellent in my world.
    Why is everyone confusing me? I LOVE THE NEW KEYBOARD!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

But, it isn't implemented everywhere. In the Android player, the old keyboard is the one used. There is no predictive text and the numbers don't come up for the password field. This also happens in the video store and other places too.

Was I unclear in my OP (I don't think so) or are people just not reading what I wrote correctly?

Once more time for good measure. I LOVE THE NEW KEYBOARD!
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 03-10-12 at 01:04 PM.
    03-09-12 02:10 PM
    Why do u need numbers and predictive text in video store? Did u read what i posted? Its not there everywhere for a reason..
    03-09-12 02:16 PM
    Why do u need numbers and predictive text in video store? Did u read what i posted? Its not there everywhere for a reason..
    When I type my password in, it should be there. No excuse why it isn't. None at all.

And what about the Android App Player?
    03-10-12 01:04 PM
    OP, did you notice that some times there will be a dedicade @ and sometimes not?

Not all fields are labeled the same, so sometimes the keyboard will not know what kind of layout to show. Amazon's login page for one, has the username fields properly labeled as "email", so the dedicated @ will always be there.

I am sure RIM will address these small quirks in future (.8xxx, .9xxx, not OS3) releases.

And the android player is what it is. If the fields in the android apps don't identify themselves, nothing the OS can do about it.
    03-10-12 01:37 PM
    When I'm typing a password I usually just press the 'return' or 'enter' key instead of finding the submit button and I've never had an issue?
    03-10-12 02:18 PM
    Why is everyone confusing me? I LOVE THE NEW KEYBOARD!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

But, it isn't implemented everywhere. In the Android player, the old keyboard is the one used. There is no predictive text and the numbers don't come up for the password field. This also happens in the video store and other places too.

Was I unclear in my OP (I don't think so) or are people just not reading what I wrote correctly?

Once more time for good measure. I LOVE THE NEW KEYBOARD!
    Wow, way to be bullied by net loons.

The PB browser gets 3 out of 5 stars like the PB itself. What's unforgivable is that, unlike on the phones, you can't get capital letters by holding down the key.
    03-10-12 03:10 PM
    I'm happy with the new keyboard.

Integration with the mail app will come, it's only a few weeks old. Media Components of the OS (at a guess) are being redesigned using cascades which will really make your media look awesome.

I'm hoping to see something in May.
    03-10-12 03:11 PM
    I'm with the OP. The new keyboard with numbers row is a great improvement. I can't understand why it is implemented inconsistently.

Now, we have a completely different way of typing numbers depending on whether the input field is a password or something else. Makes no sense.

I still miss the TouchPad virtual keyboard -- Palm absolutely nailed it.
    Fuzzballz likes this.
    03-10-12 03:51 PM
    @ OP

Wow I feel the exact same way. RIM recently had a survey on their beta site like a day or two ago and I told them the integration between apps like what is on BB devices is sorely missed on the PlayBook. Certain apps are bare boned. The Camera app is EXTREMELY plain. Like the OP said, you can't do anything with the photos from the camera app. U can't send them via bluetooth to another device, you can't email them...nothing. The Music app...you can only create one playlist if I'm not mistaken. No visual flair at all....still lag within the app. Just a lot of stuff missing that you would be used to from current BB devices.

Like The OP said though. Hopefully this will all come in time. No one could've expected all this to be fixed in a years time. I hope to see this integration along with all the apps we've come to know and love from RIM like BB Maps (Bing is terrible on the Playbook), BBM Music, BBM (lol), BB Travel, and others. Hopefully by BB10 it will all be here
    03-10-12 03:53 PM
    Wow, way to be bullied by net loons.

The PB browser gets 3 out of 5 stars like the PB itself. What's unforgivable is that, unlike on the phones, you can't get capital letters by holding down the key.
    I just want to say that I laugh every single time I see that quote at the bottom of your posts ha ha.

Good stuff

Sorry for the random post
    howarmat likes this.
    03-10-12 03:57 PM
    I just want to say that I laugh every single time I see that quote at the bottom of your posts ha ha.

Good stuff

Sorry for the random post
    i do the same....
    03-10-12 04:01 PM
    The new keyboard is based on the popular android keyboard Swift keys if my memory serves me correct. It is a good keyboard, better than the stock iOS 5.1 on the iPad. No complaints there. It takes awhile for its predictive text to learn your words btw.

Stock image app is bland, but there is a nice photo editor pogram called PicShop which is on sale now for 99 cents from $2.99. This program is really cool, like a mini Photoshop, plus you can share edited photos via email, twitter or Facebook. What are u waiting for?

I use this a lot plus Photogene on the iPad and transfer photos back and forth between the 2 tablets via WiFi.
    taylor96 and jivegirl14 like this.
    03-10-12 04:22 PM
    i do the same....
    Ha ha ha ha....you can't help but to laugh. It makes my day a little brighter. No hating if anyone is wondering, but its just simply funny
    03-10-12 04:30 PM
    I know the keyboard isn't perfect, but no touch screen keyboard is perfect, they all play second fiddle to real QWERTY keyboards which the Playbook can use via bluetooth either by purchasing a separate dedicated bluetooth tablet keyboard or simply bridging the Blackberry smartphone.

As for the browser, if anything that is perhaps the strongest thing the Playbook has going for it over many other tablets... Btw, I am typing this message using the Blackberry Torch 9810 qwerty keyboard via bridge remote control! Pretty cool, huh? So the Playbook has no weaknesses in keyboard with so many great options
    Last edited by jthep; 03-10-12 at 05:06 PM.
    03-10-12 04:41 PM
    i do the same....
    That is interesting, I see it and think it could be violating the personal attack policy.
    03-10-12 07:30 PM
    Lol how? It's not like he's saying anything about the post. All he does is use it as his signature. Nothing wrong with that. In my opinion though, I does show an example of....na nevermind lol. If people can't see the humor in it then it's clearly over their head ha

Back to the topic though...the playbook is definitely missing the unified experience. OS2 is great even if only because it fixed so much that was wrong with OS1...but when knowing that it is being used to test for BB10, then it's still beta in my eyes
    03-10-12 08:09 PM
    That is interesting, I see it and think it could be violating the personal attack policy.
    How is it attacking someone? Just curious... I might be a tad biased
    03-10-12 08:11 PM
    I don't see how quoting a person is an "attack".. It's their own words, not mine.

Actually I'm really starting to like predictive text. It's kind of pointless but fun.
    Last edited by Furballz; 03-10-12 at 08:15 PM.
    Rello likes this.
    03-10-12 08:13 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD