Wait till I post the ones of it in a helicopter.
    jafobabe and afm10 like this.
    12-27-11 04:55 PM
    Great! Another farkle I can add to my bike, thanks rotorwench and Angus_CB
    12-27-11 05:56 PM
    where's them pics..... and how much did that mount cost?? I ride atvs and motorcycles and think it would be cool to VID my rides and such.
    12-27-11 07:14 PM
    Oops, sorry guy guess i just overlooked the photos. My bad
    12-27-11 07:22 PM
    You sir, are amazing!
    12-27-11 07:28 PM
    What charts do you guys use in the helicopters? I'm fixed wing & would love to see Jep Charts on a PB. Not just the charts but the Jep apps that they have for the ipad.

iPad is too big to easily fit in your flight bag
    azevedo7313 likes this.
    12-27-11 07:34 PM
    Definitely the thread of the day, 5 stars! Very cool post & pics! Thanks!
    Me too! This is Way over my head, but totally interesting! WOW! ..
    12-27-11 08:39 PM
    What charts do you guys use in the helicopters? I'm fixed wing & would love to see Jep Charts on a PB. Not just the charts but the Jep apps that they have for the ipad.

iPad is too big to easily fit in your flight bag
    Sorry no Jeps for PB right now. What you can do is if you have a subscription or online access to a current Jep chart is to load them pdf or take screenshots, file them and then just swipe your way through the charts. I do USGS topos that way to.
    BBPandy likes this.
    12-27-11 10:28 PM
    can't resist but to post since i'm a fellow rider i'm jealous. it is snowing where i am and would have tried it out.

i don't like winter
    12-27-11 11:38 PM
    We have several map programs at work, but the two I use most is the Delorme map sofrware and USGS topos. Our office manager puts the Delorne maps in a pdf file for me. But whats cool is you can go to the USGS site, go to the search box, upper left corner, select map search and downloader. From that page you can choose your map, scale etc... and download in a pdf format, for FREE! Good maps too. She downloads to her PC and then puts it on the network for me to download. Since its a pdf file, I don't see why you can't download directly to the PB. I haven't tried that yet but will. The files average 7 to 20mg.
    Also, while there,download the free TerraGeo plugin to your PC. It allows you to annotate, measure distance, intergrate with GPS etc....to the maps before you load them.
    Awesome thread rotor...if this isnt the best vibration test for playbook I don't know what is...let us know how it holds up.

Wondering... i understand pre loading maps for when out of 3g range, but have you tried the GEOrendr free app that uses thes maps and many others- topo, satelite, road,marine
    National Geographic, DeLorme,Tom Tom, USGS, Esri, GeoEye, USDA NavTEQ others....all streamed fast rendering and GPS loc...

Free app.
    12-28-11 12:07 AM
    can't resist but to post since i'm a fellow rider i'm jealous. it is snowing where i am and would have tried it out.

i don't like winter
    Hey, I feel your pain man, and normally in the same boat. I normally have 5 or 6 ft of the stuff on the ground this time of the year, but we are WAY below normal. 1ft is all we have right now. Up higher its good, but not here. So I can still steal out some. I normally have to put the studs on by now to get anywhere on the bike. Looking like a mondo fire season coming up.
    12-28-11 01:29 AM
    Awesome thread rotor...if this isnt the best vibration test for playbook I don't know what is...let us know how it holds up.

Wondering... i understand pre loading maps for when out of 3g range, but have you tried the GEOrendr free app that uses thes maps and many others- topo, satelite, road,marine
    National Geographic, DeLorme,Tom Tom, USGS, Esri, GeoEye, USDA NavTEQ others....all streamed fast rendering and GPS loc...

Free app.
    Thanks. And I do have GEOrendr and like it a lot. But unfortunately a good portion of my riding is out of cell range. So until I find a program compatible with the PB and it's receiver I need on device maps. Specifically topo maps in 7.5 min or 1:24k. I know there's something I can find that will give me the type of on device gps and map rendering I need, just a matter of time. FWIW, I was running a Garmin chart plotter next to the PB and the gps is amazingly close in coordinates.

As for vibration, the combo of the Otterbox and Ram mounts do a great job of dampening vibration. I'm tempted to "harden" the PB like I've done my GPSs, but I'm a little hesitant to open this puppy up. I'm hard on electronic devices with this bike. The main weakness is the battery connections, vibration eventually causing arcing and such with the contacts or connections. I'm assuming in the PB the battery is hardwired, but I'm not sure. I may have to get one just for experimenting.

Thanks again for the compliment
    ralfyguy likes this.
    12-28-11 01:54 AM
    You sir, are amazing!
    Thanks, but search a little and you'll find yourself saying that to a lot of posters on this forum
    12-28-11 02:07 AM
    hey roto is that a gs? I ride an rt1150 and have a klx 250s for adventure riding. i am loving the ram mount. Now we just need powerlet chargers and waterproof cases. I sure do t wanna do a streamcrossing with an exposed playbook. It would sure make the trans am trail more fun though.

be safe out there.
    12-28-11 05:32 AM
    hey roto is that a gs? I ride an rt1150 and have a klx 250s for adventure riding. i am loving the ram mount. Now we just need powerlet chargers and waterproof cases. I sure do t wanna do a streamcrossing with an exposed playbook. It would sure make the trans am trail more fun though.

be safe out there.
    Lol Good eye! Dakar model with 100k+ miles to boot and still runnin sweet. Yeah, waterproof case would be nice
    12-28-11 07:42 AM
    Nice setup! Ram mounts are definitely a solid choice when you really want something to stay in place. I used one for my Qualcomm Omnitracs communications display unit until someone decided they wanted it more than I did. It took the pounding of an 18 wheeler for years withouta fail.
    12-28-11 10:40 AM
    Yes they are. There are actually better designed and engineered mounts being made by a couple of other outfits, but for several hundred dollars each, and not for the PB. RAM mounts work, and they're affordable.
    12-28-11 02:44 PM
    Lol Good eye! Dakar model with 100k+ miles to boot and still runnin sweet. Yeah, waterproof case would be nice
    Well in a pinch, couldn't you use a ziplock baggy and suck out the air before locking it? My son has done that for his phone while riding his motorcycle.

True, it isn't pretty, but worked for the short term!

Disclaimer ==> This is not a real solution, but could be a temporary one.

I love this thread!!!!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-28-11 03:33 PM
    Well in a pinch, couldn't you use a ziplock baggy and suck out the air before locking it? My son has done that for his phone while riding his motorcycle.

True, it isn't pretty, but worked for the short term!

Disclaimer ==> This is not a real solution, but could be a temporary one.

I love this thread!!!!
    Thanks Jafobabe, and you're right. Baggies have been the savior of my GPSs and mp3 players for years LOL. I have been keeping a freezer bag in my tank bag for the PB just in case I tested it and with the PB in a freezer bag, it still snaps into the holder. Till I come up with something better, ziplocks rule LOL
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 05:15 PM
    This is absolutely amazing! I have no idea of half of what you are talking about. Not sure what I would do with my PB on my cruiser, but just the fact it can be done is cool enough! Thank you so much for the pictures!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-29-11 09:03 PM
    This is absolutely amazing! I have no idea of half of what you are talking about. Not sure what I would do with my PB on my cruiser, but just the fact it can be done is cool enough! Thank you so much for the pictures!
    I argee.. this is sooo fasintating, but WAY over my pea brain. I have tried so hard to get my son (WebHead) to get interested in the PB... that kid is SOO stuborn I tellya. (He got that from his Grandmother, not me! )

So hopefully when OS2 is matured and Excel is better, I might get him more interested in the PB.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-29-11 09:16 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD