I've been using a universal mount to mount my PB on my dualpurpose bike. It's worked ok, but this bike is offroad as much as on and the vibrations and bumps are pretty bad. Tonight I got a cool early Christmas present, a Ram mount with the rubber base. Mounted up perfectly on my rally panel. I'll take photos when it's daylight. Merry Christmas!!
    Megacharge likes this.
    12-25-11 12:26 AM
    Happy Holidays!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-25-11 12:27 AM
    Lookin' forward to the photos!
    12-25-11 05:22 AM
    What do you use the PB for on your bike?
    12-25-11 05:30 AM
    watching movies
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-25-11 06:25 AM
    awesome! would love to see the pics too. Merry Christmas!
    12-25-11 07:14 AM
    A lot actually. I play Angry Birds LOL. No, I use GPS, I have loaded topo and road maps. I also use it as what's called a roadbook. Normally they're done on rolls of paper that's inserted into a roadbook holder. It graphically shows directions, turns, landmarks for navigation etc.....at the associated odometer reading. You scroll it as you progress. Mine is scrolled by a switch on the handlebar. Some are mechanical and are manually scrolled. Anyway, whats cool is, unlike a dedicated GPS or chartplotter, I can have GPS on active, map displayed and roadbook displayed all together and active, swiping for whichever I want displayed. Way cool! No other navigation device I've ever seen can do that! The other plus for the PB is that any larger of a tablet is just too big to be practical or safe. The PB is perfect for this. Two of our pilots at work use their PB in the cockpit for their navigation charts and operation checklists. Again perfect size. The iPad has apps for this but has proven to be again too large to be practical for us, though some pilots use them. The PB mounts on the panel with a RAM mount in the helicopters, and on the yoke in fixed wing aircraft. A very versatile tablet.
    12-25-11 07:17 AM
    One more thing I'll share with you, but shouldn't. I'm a very safe and conscientious driver. But one other thing I do with the PB while on the motorcycle is this; When I'm on roads that are traffic free, backroads especially, I can actually drive the cars in NFS with my motorcycle. IT IS SO AWESOME!!!!!! It really responds as though I was holding it! You'll see in the photo when I take it, the PB is mounted at a 70 degree angle, which is perfect for the game. Anyway , I only do it when I'm on deserted roads. I'll even go do it in empty parking lots. The mall in town is perfect on Sundays after 6pm.
    meganVee, jafobabe and ralfyguy like this.
    12-25-11 07:31 AM
    A lot actually. I play Angry Birds LOL. No, I use GPS, I have loaded topo and road maps. I also use it as what's called a roadbook. Normally they're done on rolls of paper that's inserted into a roadbook holder. It graphically shows directions, turns, landmarks for navigation etc.....at the associated odometer reading. You scroll it as you progress. Mine is scrolled by a switch on the handlebar. Some are mechanical and are manually scrolled. Anyway, whats cool is, unlike a dedicated GPS or chartplotter, I can have GPS on active, map displayed and roadbook displayed all together and active, swiping for whichever I want displayed. Way cool! No other navigation device I've ever seen can do that! The other plus for the PB is that any larger of a tablet is just too big to be practical or safe. The PB is perfect for this. Two of our pilots at work use their PB in the cockpit for their navigation charts and operation checklists. Again perfect size. The iPad has apps for this but has proven to be again too large to be practical for us, though some pilots use them. The PB mounts on the panel with a RAM mount in the helicopters, and on the yoke in fixed wing aircraft. A very versatile tablet.
    What maps did you load and where did you get them? I am very interested in what you are doing there.
    12-25-11 08:08 AM
    And btw, that idea with playing NFS that way is nothing short of sick! LOVE IT!
    12-25-11 08:10 AM
    Playing NFS with your motorcycle is awesome, but it reminds me of an old joke.

Q: What's the last thing a redneck says before he dies?

A: Hey ya'll. Watch this.

CDM76 likes this.
    12-25-11 10:22 AM
    What maps did you load and where did you get them? I am very interested in what you are doing there.
    Yes i as well am very interested on where you got these maps. Please share. Much appreciated.
    12-25-11 10:23 AM
    We have several map programs at work, but the two I use most is the Delorme map sofrware and USGS topos. Our office manager puts the Delorne maps in a pdf file for me. But whats cool is you can go to the USGS site, go to the search box, upper left corner, select map search and downloader. From that page you can choose your map, scale etc... and download in a pdf format, for FREE! Good maps too. She downloads to her PC and then puts it on the network for me to download. Since its a pdf file, I don't see why you can't download directly to the PB. I haven't tried that yet but will. The files average 7 to 20mg.
    Also, while there,download the free TerraGeo plugin to your PC. It allows you to annotate, measure distance, intergrate with GPS etc....to the maps before you load them.
    12-25-11 04:19 PM
    Playing NFS with your motorcycle is awesome, but it reminds me of an old joke.

Q: What's the last thing a redneck says before he dies?

A: Hey ya'll. Watch this.

LOL I know! I deserve that, but I'm careful and actually don't want anyone watching, just in case, you know? It's a blast, but sometimes I run out of room or can't make the long curves on the game with the real road, so game car crashes are frequent LOL
    12-25-11 04:30 PM
    Forgot another tip for you. There are several free online map and topo viewer sites, Mytopo being just one. Google for them. Anyway, I find the map I want, size it, take a screenshot, move to the next section, screenshot, move again etc...... I then can swipe through them as I need them. Works pretty slick and with any type online map you find. I've even sent them by email to our network email and print them when needed.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-26-11 02:42 AM
    it would be great to see the pictures as I am planning to mount it on my suzuki Burgman 650.
    12-26-11 03:48 AM
    I am familiar with roadbooks. I have Touratech QV software that I use to record ATV trips on Topo maps.
    RAM mounts are the best I've ever used.
    I was hoping you had discovered a live GPS mapping program for the Playbook.

Hey, justincase;
    It's not "Hey ya'll. Watch this.", it's "Hold my beer, I'm gonna try somethin'."
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-26-11 07:04 AM
    it would be great to see the pictures as I am planning to mount it on my suzuki Burgman 650.
    You usually buy RAM mounts piece by piece.
    The Playbook mount is called a Tab-Tite RAM-HOL-TAB2U. Then you buy the specific mount for your application. Here is one for your bike.

You can buy mounts for different vehicles without buying the part for the Playbook again.
    Last edited by Angus_CB; 12-27-11 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
    12-26-11 07:16 AM
    I am familiar with roadbooks. I have Touratech QV software that I use to record ATV trips on Topo maps.
    RAM mounts are the best I've ever used.
    I was hoping you had discovered a live GPS mapping program for the Playbook.

Hey, justincase;
    It's not "Hey ya'll. Watch this.", it's "Hold my beer, I'm gonna try somethin'."
    Yeah, I now am trying it in place of my roadbook. The problem is that I set this bike up for TSD rallies and the road books for them are pre-printed. Unless I can convince the officials to let me download their data to the PB, I'm stuck using the PB for only personal roadbook use, which still works well and is a time saver. I have the Touratech rally cockpit and the PB mounts where the roadbook normally goes.

And no, I haven't gotten as far as to find which mapping program works with PB gps receiver yet. Currently I use a Garmin GPSMAP 276C chartplotter. Made for charting and printing maps. Lowrance makes a good one too, HDS-5. It was designed for Baja use. I don't need a dedicated ICO except in rallies. I'll be checking into the PB GPS map stuff this spring.

And yes, the RAM system is modular. I have 4 different gps holders that all switch out onto the base in seconds. My work rig has a RAM vehicle mount for the PB in it. Works great. Whats cool is I attached the RAM square base ball to the cover of my Otterbox and that is the current holder till I mount the rest of the RAM to the cockpit. I'll take the picture today. It hasn't come loose yet lol And then I can pull the PB out of the Otterbox cover, flip it around and clip it back in when not in use.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-26-11 at 03:15 PM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-26-11 03:09 PM
    Okay, here's a photo with the roadbook installed. Next post will be with PB installed in place of it using the Ram base and short stem. Sorry for the dirty bike but it is a dualsport and is offroad as much as on.Attachment 99422
    12-26-11 10:19 PM
    Okay, picture with PB installed using Ram base attached to the Otterbox screen cover. Actually works well. I ended up wrecking my TransAm trying to take the picture LOL. Also notice the moisture under the Otterbox screen protector. I thought it was dry before I put it on. 169 is the above described. 170 is flipping the PB around for non-use or parked. 171 is of the Ram base bonded to the Otterbox screen cover with Scotchweld. Like steel. Tell me if you think a 10" tablet would work for this LOL The PB fits perfect in this location.

Attachment 99423

Attachment 99424

Attachment 99425
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-26-11 at 10:58 PM.
    jhanks64, meganVee and cafemag like this.
    12-26-11 10:55 PM
    awesome. thanks for the pics!
    12-27-11 03:24 AM
    Thanks Angus. Winter is long here in Czech, so its time to upgrade my Burgman
    12-27-11 05:41 AM
    Thanks Angus. Winter is long here in Czech, so its time to upgrade my Burgman
    LOL long winter here in the NW Rockies too.Lot of time to work on the bikes. I use ice studs for an extended season
    12-27-11 10:10 AM
    Definitely the thread of the day, 5 stars! Very cool post & pics! Thanks!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-27-11 10:53 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD