Loaded a bunch of .mp3 files onto PB. The music player will simply not recognize some of the files as being present. If i open a file manager the files are present on the device and can be played no problem. Any works arounds or ways to force music player to recognize them would help. Perhaps OS2 will solve this?

edit: Thanks for the help below; the files in question are some of my oldest rips; greater than 7 or 8 years maybe and others are pretty recent. Will try editting tags or just re ripping. Now to attic to retrieve the CDs. Some were transferred via USB and some over WiFi; did not discover the issue until later. Will let everyone know if i solve it but good to known others also have the issue.

edit2: I have editted the tags (they were empty) on some of these files and this seems to do the trick for many of them, some of these rips are from 1998!
    Last edited by Glamrlama; 01-14-12 at 02:41 PM.
    01-14-12 11:23 AM
    Nothing unusual with the filenames? Encoded or ripped using exactly the same tools as you've used for other ones which do work? Length or other characteristics not unusual with them? You've tried the same process (e.g. ripping them) again a second time, or installed the same files on a second PlayBook to see if the results are consistent?

(No answer... just suggestions to try for troubleshooting.)
    01-14-12 11:26 AM
    I have had the same thing happen. In fact, some files transferred with Desktop Manager for Mac play just fine but when transferred with the Windows version seem to go "missing" but not really. The same files played just fine on my BlackBerry Storm, Torch and various iPods. In fact, Windows DM said the files were even "supported".

I even started a trouble ticket with RIM that went on for about a month or so, sent files, did various forms of testing which resulted in . . . eh nothing?

I think what I ended up doing to "fix" it was to simply drag and drop the files but I've since given up on trying to figure out why some files play and some don't. It's kinda like how DM tells me certain videos aren't compatible but when drag and dropped play just fine.

Have you tried transcoding the files to a different format? I think the only commonality I found were that my files were very old encodes :/
    01-14-12 11:55 AM
    WonderOtter opens another question up: how did you transfer them? I've only ever transferred by simple drag-and-drop to the music folder, and don't use Desktop Manager for anything except backup. Maybe how you transfer them matters...
    01-14-12 12:10 PM
    WonderOtter opens another question up: how did you transfer them? I've only ever transferred by simple drag-and-drop to the music folder, and don't use Desktop Manager for anything except backup. Maybe how you transfer them matters...
    The only music files I ever had trouble transferring with DM was the odd one that was DRM protected.
    01-14-12 12:16 PM
    Do those files have appropriate mp3 tags - the identifying info such as artist, album, genre, title, track, etc? The mp3 player uses that to display the tune. It does not really use the filename.
    01-14-12 12:21 PM
    Do those files have appropriate mp3 tags - the identifying info such as artist, album, genre, title, track, etc? The mp3 player uses that to display the tune. It does not really use the filename.
    -and it does NOT handle Tags good either...
    01-14-12 12:52 PM
    i got the same problem too with a couple of mp3 files!

i even got all the details (names...artist...genre....album cover etc) set up!

runs sweet on itunes, windows and on my bb! hopefully will find out!
    01-14-12 12:53 PM
    I have the same problem, the playbook native music app doesn't recognize some mp3 specially the ones I download with the app music download by Liu Xuan. Any solutions?
    03-28-13 02:10 AM
    I have found that it ignores any files that are DRM protected.
    03-28-13 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD