I was bridged, opened wifi and hit connect to McDonalds wifi, and they sent me a text with a code....NOW where is the security when my number could be sold to anywhere? I'm a bit shocked, convenience yesbut what happened to my right to privacy?
    03-22-13 01:35 PM
    I was bridged, opened wifi and hit connect to McDonalds wifi, and they sent me a text with a code....NOW where is the security when my number could be sold to anywhere? I'm a bit shocked, convenience yesbut what happened to my right to privacy?
    It was lost shortly after the dawn of the internet age if not a little before. You may try. to maintain shreds by proxy browsing and only use your secure network but in return for people giving you things such as free wifi they usually want info to help sell you something. Maybe they will send you a coupon for a Big Mac or whatever they call it in the UK. Or I suppose that in the UK you could find a law which would allow you to go to court.
    03-22-13 01:50 PM
    I don't mind wagering my right to privacy but to not have the option....no doubt I will be getting spam advertising texts soon, no option to even approve - I hit the wifi on and selected McDonalds and went to the browser and it said your mobile number is 07xxxxxxxxx please enter the code we text you in the box below! My point is how can BB give your mobile number out from a Playbook with no sim in it or availability to take one just because I'm bridged to my BB when I turn wifi on and select the wifi spot, the welcome page before entering the code sent and agreeing to the terms to then be able to surf already knows my mobile number!

That certainly not going to get UK approval for BB10, releasing mobile numbers to a third party because they are bridged to a BB with wifi on....shocking security of information by transmitting a possible government employees mobile number. Well done BB, who should now actually rename Crackberry, the world most insecure mobile OS and tablet!
    Last edited by Orange UK; 03-22-13 at 04:35 PM.
    03-22-13 03:04 PM
    What is the chance that your PHONE was connecting to the wifi and the pb was using the phone's wifi? So that in fact the permission was actually from the phone?

Otherwise, I agree, how did they get the phone's number? What phone was it?
    03-22-13 04:51 PM
    I don't mind wagering my right to privacy but to not have the option....no doubt I will be getting spam advertising texts soon, no option to even approve - I hit the wifi on and selected McDonalds and went to the browser and it said your mobile number is 07xxxxxxxxx please enter the code we text you in the box below! My point is how can BB give your mobile number out from a Playbook with no sim in it or availability to take one just because I'm bridged to my BB when I turn wifi on and select the wifi spot, the welcome page before entering the code sent and agreeing to the terms to then be able to surf already knows my mobile number!

That certainly not going to get UK approval for BB10, releasing mobile numbers to a third party because they are bridged to a BB with wifi on....shocking security of information by transmitting a possible government employees mobile number. Well done BB, who should now actually rename Crackberry, the world most insecure mobile OS and tablet!
    Now this has been my point for about thirty five years now. There is no security in the world anymore! People know where you are at all times, know what your talking about on the phone, in texts, in emails and in your sleep.

Let's be quite honest though, would you believe anyone that suddenly said to you, "do you want to use a blackberry to connect into wifi"? Now if they said do you want a nice pie then I would believe them but if I want to connect into the network I tend to use a peach or a tangerine!
    03-22-13 04:55 PM
    You shod only connect to the playbook bridge wifi when you haven't got a secure/personal connection. So why would you bridge to the PB? then connect to a free wifi hotspot witch state you have to accept term of service and install McDonalds certificates witch the playbook state is not trusted!.
    Sorry if I'm off the subject. But you had to accept something for McDonalds to read your PHONE number to send you a text message. Not everything that states free is good. Lol.....Don't worry they might send you a text message for a free big mc promotional meal.
    03-22-13 09:10 PM
    What is the chance that your PHONE was connecting to the wifi and the pb was using the phone's wifi? So that in fact the permission was actually from the phone?

Otherwise, I agree, how did they get the phone's number? What phone was it?
    NOPE manually switch wifi on Pearl3G for making my free UMA international calls, no wifi on BB just Playbook.
    03-22-13 09:47 PM
    Now this has been my point for about thirty five years now. There is no security in the world anymore! People know where you are at all times, know what your talking about on the phone, in texts, in emails and in your sleep.

Let's be quite honest though, would you believe anyone that suddenly said to you, "do you want to use a blackberry to connect into wifi"? Now if they said do you want a nice pie then I would believe them but if I want to connect into the network I tend to use a peach or a tangerine!
    Hands SOM brandy over
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-22-13 09:48 PM
    You shod only connect to the playbook bridge wifi when you haven't got a secure/personal connection. So why would you bridge to the PB? then connect to a free wifi hotspot witch state you have to accept term of service and install McDonalds certificates witch the playbook state is not trusted!.
    Sorry if I'm off the subject. But you had to accept something for McDonalds to read your PHONE number to send you a text message. Not everything that states free is good. Lol.....Don't worry they might send you a text message for a free big mc promotional meal.
    I only bridge to PB, I wanted to download a large file from dropbox, so I switched wifi on PB to on then selected MaccyDees, it connected and I Iaunched browser and it was saying it was sending a text to 07xxxxxxxxx (my number) and to insert in box below to connect. No terms, nothing! I did not agree to terms to as there were none, only insert code we just text you?

WTF is that about that they have access to my mobile number in my Pearl when I am connecting via a wifi only PB? I nearly spat my a2 milk over DanniiMinogue mammory glands!!!
    03-22-13 09:56 PM
    Did you enter this info before on a previous visit? Maybe the McD Wi-fi service keeps track of MAC addresses of the Playbook's Wi-fi controller and somehow remembered that it was linked to your phone number. Gotta tell ya, that's pretty creepy though.
    03-22-13 10:50 PM
    Were you bridged to the Pearl when you opened WiFi on the PB? Since I am not a bridger don't understand some of the details as to how these things work. Are you supposed to close the bridge before using the PB by itself? Assume the text message came on your phone so McDonald's system somehow recognized its presence. It's scary I agree. Should you blame Blackberry or McDonalds. And watch out for those credit cards. They can be scanned while they are still in your pocket.
    Last edited by jpash549; 03-23-13 at 02:31 AM.
    03-23-13 02:16 AM
    Did you enter this info before on a previous visit? Maybe the McD Wi-fi service keeps track of MAC addresses of the Playbook's Wi-fi controller and somehow remembered that it was linked to your phone number. Gotta tell ya, that's pretty creepy though.
    Dont believe I have no, MaccyDees is my guilty secret but it's a rare thing but all the Burger Kings in my area are in shopping malls that close at 7pm. Mucho prefer a Whopper in my mouth :yum:
    03-23-13 09:43 AM
    Were you bridged to the Pearl when you opened WiFi on the PB? Since I am not a bridger don't understand some of the details as to how these things work. Are you supposed to close the bridge before using the PB by itself? Assume the text message came on your phone so McDonald's system somehow recognized its presence. It's scary I agree. Should you blame Blackberry or McDonalds. And watch out for those credit cards. They can be scanned while they are still in your pocket.
    Yes bridge was open and I opened and selected McDonalds wifi then went to login and before browser opened I got a login code via text.

Credit cards - oh you mean those peeeps who don't live within their means, no me sir!
    03-23-13 09:47 AM
    They most likely sent the info over WiFi.
    I have a garmin GPS. When passing through a city, My GPS screen starts flashing all this info about hotel discounts, restaurant discounts etc. It's really a nuisance when you are trying to get through a unfamiliar city and the screen is cluttered with messages. All this garbage comes to you via silent radio signals being picked up by the GPS antenna. Now you get the same garbage by free wifi.
    03-23-13 09:55 AM
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. Sounds like you need a code to connect and the way they send the code is by text therefore they need a phone number to send the code to.

The McDonald's around here all you have to do is accept the terms and connect, no code or any other BS needed.
    03-23-13 09:56 AM
    Hands SOM brandy over
    Can you not hear the ice cracking under your own little feet, I can and if it doesn't crack I'll throw a tantrum and jump up and down on it until it does so there?

One time yellow card, next ones red!

"LEAVE MY BRANDY ALONE"

Sorry for shouting but I'm tired. You may however have one of my pasties.
    03-23-13 12:04 PM
    Can you not hear the ice cracking under your own little feet, I can and if it doesn't crack I'll throw a tantrum and jump up and down on it until it does so there?

One time yellow card, next ones red!

"LEAVE MY BRANDY ALONE"

Sorry for shouting but I'm tired. You may however have one of my pasties.
    I handy you a brandy, thanks for breaking the ice for my jack not black though I'll pass on the pasties for now, I'll get one when I have the jack Dans munchies later
    03-23-13 01:13 PM
    Yes bridge was open and I opened and selected McDonalds wifi then went to login and before browser opened I got a login code via text.

Credit cards - oh you mean those peeeps who don't live within their means, no me sir!
    Since you opened it bridged through phone the McDonald's system obviously identified the request as being from a phone and responded accordingly. In the UK if you receive a phone call can you identify the number that is calling? If you had attempted to log in just using the WiFi on your unbridged Pearl what would have happened? Would it text you? Suggest unbridging your phone and logging into the hot spot with your Playbook.

I'm a "peeep " who has credit cards but I also live within my means. Here in the USA it is difficult to function without at least one. Didn't mean to offend you with the comment but was making a comment on another way modern technology can intrude.

Assume the Jack is purple or single barrel. Surely not green. And why not one of those great Scotches?
    Last edited by jpash549; 03-23-13 at 01:35 PM.
    03-23-13 01:19 PM
    Since you opened it bridged through phone the McDonald's system obviously identified the request as being from a phone and responded accordingly. In the UK if you receive a phone call can you identify the number that is calling? If you had attempted to log in just using the WiFi on your unbridged Pearl what would have happened? Would it text you? Suggest unbridging your phone and logging into the hot spot with your Playbook.

I'm a "peeep " who has credit cards but I also live within my means. Here in the USA it is difficult to function without at least one. Didn't mean to offend you with the comment but was making a comment on another way modern technology can intrude.

Assume the Jack is purple or single barrel. Surely not green. And why not one of those great Scotches?
    Yeah still annoyed my BB gave my number out my number via my PB though.

No offence taken, we have VISA debit cards in UK, even AU has Mastercard Debit, no need for credit cards in either for me.

Single barrel of course I'm not paying hundreds of pounds a bottle, cheap Scotch don't do it so Jack does lol
    03-23-13 05:44 PM
    Yeah still annoyed my BB gave my number out my number via my PB though.

No offence taken, we have VISA debit cards in UK, even AU has Mastercard Debit, no need for credit cards in either for me.

Single barrel of course I'm not paying hundreds of pounds a bottle, cheap Scotch don't do it so Jack does lol
    I use a paidup debit card for most online purchases but avoid a debit card tied to a bank account.
    The credit card may be safer. Didn't know a reasonably decent Scotch would be so expensive. Matter of taste but our Moore County, Tennessee whiskey has a unique taste. Unfortunately my drinking days are past so I no longer participate in the fun.
    03-23-13 07:07 PM
    I use a paidup debit card for most online purchases but avoid a debit card tied to a bank account.
    The credit card may be safer. Didn't know a reasonably decent Scotch would be so expensive. Matter of taste but our Moore County, Tennessee whiskey has a unique taste. Unfortunately my drinking days are past so I no longer participate in the fun.
    Send me your bottle, ill participate for you

UK has protection for.paying on Visa Debit or Credit cards.
    03-23-13 07:27 PM