I like my old BB 9780 and the bridge
    the 9780 with BIS saves me a bundle when out of the country, no foreign roaming charges of $500
    BIS international cost me $20 on t-mobile

You want a different platform, there's nothing wrong with that.
    You don't need the crashing apps excuses.
    Obviously that is a fixable problem. If not all Playbooks would be acting the same way, which they aren't.
    So, either fix your Playbook or move to a different platform. No big deal.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-17-13 11:34 AM
    Just backed up the PB

did a security swipe
    rebooted - wifi worked - than upgraded to OS2.1 - no more WiFi connection - PB does not accept the password which is use in 6 other gadgets
    error message is wrong password
    reinstalled backup - still nor wifi
    music is installed, but did not install pictures and documents
    now it does not recognize the keyboard in Bluetooth

Just wipe and reinstall. There are good chances your problems will be gone: that was the case for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 11:41 AM
    The OP is right.

Many of us bought a playbook in order NOT to buy a toy for pre-teens with lots of gaming and chat. As it turns out the playbook is less able for business life than the toys for pre-teens.

E year I was in Eastern Europe and I had to reschedule a flight in emergency. I was very lucky I had and android tablet with the flight company's app.

And as he mentioned (in an another thread I think), arriving in a professional meeting with your tablet and being unable to open a PDF is a total no no. That sort of shortcoming doesn't fall in the category of "coming soon", but rather in the category of "stay away from me".

Playbook continues to be great for reading epubs though. Like an e-reader but with backlighting.
    I know exactly what you mean. I have had to fly all over the world since 1975 and I don't know how I could have managed it without those android apps?????????

Oh silly me we just used a 'PHONE'. It comes in all shapes and sizes, colours and has various uses. I'm not into this high tech crap but I do believe I've read somewhere that you can now even get things called 'MOBILE PHONES'.

Oh yes you can because I booked, reserved and selected my seat from my bb 9860 through bb travel while I was still sat in the hotel bar sipping on a vodka martini. Don't take my word for it, download it for free yourself at app world!
    06-17-13 12:01 PM
    Well, those sorts of problems are more webpage than the PB. It wasn't a Java/Flash site if Chrome opened it. Chrome doesn't support that. So, when a device renders the site, the site will feed android optimized content back if it is android, iOS content if it is Apple, etc. PB is not as common so there probably won't be PB optimized content. Sure, you would expect PB to have a "desktop" experience but there are sites it will have trouble with. It would have been interesting to see if you used something like Simple Browser and set the user agent to android what would have happened.
    Not a slam on your comment but not all know to do these things and expect the PB to work the way those who purchased it thought it would. Even now I am experiencing more and more lag activity and drop out. But to have no new app offerings and no updates even if the PB does not see BB10 is just sad.....just getting tired of expecting the PB to get better after having it since launch compared to other tablets. I would like to see BB protect our investments by saying something at least.
    06-17-13 12:11 PM
    Oh ok, so it's all right if I don't have the app of my flight company. I get it.

At least you don't say that apps are useless because everything is possible in the browser on 7" tablet. Thank you for not doing that one.

Another poster said he could open his PDF in business meetings all the time. Well, the problem is not being 100% sure. Because being among executives and not being able to open their PDF just ONCE whereas everybody else can do it is enough to cast a doubt on the why of your presence in the meeting.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-17-13 01:55 PM
    Oh ok, so it's all right if I don't have the app of my flight company. I get it.

At least you don't say that apps are useless because everything is possible in the browser on 7" tablet. Thank you for not doing that one.

Another poster said he could open his PDF in business meetings all the time. Well, the problem is not being 100% sure. Because being among executives and not being able to open their PDF just ONCE whereas everybody else can do it is enough to cast a doubt on the why of your presence in the meeting.
    It's going to be a long night!

Ok eyes down look in! As far as "executive" travel is concerned, download bb travel. You can search for flights, book flights, reserve your seat, print your ticket, print your boarding pass with any of the major airlines (saves loads of time at the airport). I also have at present 78 PDFs loaded on my pb and can open all of them without issue in PDF reader (core app), PDF creator (apply world) or docs to go (core app). Now this can't be rocket science because I'm stupid so either I am thicker than even I give myself credit for, or your definitely doing something wrong!

Would you like me to fly out there and show you how to do it?
    06-17-13 02:16 PM
    Agreed. I can't believe Microsoft isn't perpetually flamed for Windows 8. The OP is has no idea what he is talking about, threatening to leave BlackBerry for a W8 tablet.
    Yeah I would sooner use my PlayBook to beat the CEO of MS in the face than replace it with ANYTHING running Windows 8.

However, we all have our own opinions.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-17-13 02:16 PM
    The the OP, if you are really done with the PlayBook then I would sway you to the Note 10.1 before going with a Win8 tab. It's very versatile and when it comes to a large tab, it's my tablet of choice.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-17-13 02:20 PM
    The the OP, if you are really done with the PlayBook then I would sway you to the Note 10.1 before going with a Win8 tab. It's very versatile and when it comes to a large tab, it's my tablet of choice.
    I agree. I have used a Galaxy Note 10 and liked it so much I got a Note 8 for my daughter to use at school.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man and axllebeer like this.
    06-17-13 02:36 PM
    Recently the browser on my PB crashes all the time and now again I cannot open email and contact! I had faith in my PB and defend it every time that it is a good tablet but now I am not sure anymore. To sad!
    hreiner1 likes this.
    06-17-13 02:37 PM
    It's going to be a long night!

Ok eyes down look in! As far as "executive" travel is concerned, download bb travel. You can search for flights, book flights, reserve your seat, print your ticket, print your boarding pass with any of the major airlines (saves loads of time at the airport). I also have at present 78 PDFs loaded on my pb and can open all of them without issue in PDF reader (core app), PDF creator (apply world) or docs to go (core app). Now this can't be rocket science because I'm stupid so either I am thicker than even I give myself credit for, or your definitely doing something wrong!

Would you like me to fly out there and show you how to do it?
    This is a BB10 app for your phone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-17-13 04:19 PM
    This is a BB10 app for your phone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Since when has a 9860 had bb10?
    06-17-13 04:28 PM
    BlackBerry travel has been available for older BlackBerry device as well. I had it installed on my BlackBerry Bold 9900. Very useful app.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 08:45 PM
    Well, those sorts of problems are more webpage than the PB. It wasn't a Java/Flash site if Chrome opened it. Chrome doesn't support that. So, when a device renders the site, the site will feed android optimized content back if it is android, iOS content if it is Apple, etc. PB is not as common so there probably won't be PB optimized content. Sure, you would expect PB to have a "desktop" experience but there are sites it will have trouble with. It would have been interesting to see if you used something like Simple Browser and set the user agent to android what would have happened.
    Thanks for the feedback and explanation. Simple Browser may have handled it. But I tried that app a few months back and didn't like it at all. Can't recall exactly why, but I did delete it. Fast Browser doesn't seem to let me use Google search so I've given up on it.
    06-17-13 11:28 PM
    Buy a Samsung galaxy tab 2 they run fine and they're cheap right now. If you want to keep the 7inches sizes. I have the PB and the tab 2, but for some reason I love blackberry playbook.
    Good luck.
    06-17-13 11:32 PM
    brianatbb

Which ferry and where are you headed - hopefully, tomorrow will be as nice as today, barring the high clouds! But I'd be curious about the reservation system failing.

Hmm, just fired up the native browser on my 32 gig (64 is downstairs connected to tv) and typed "wa state ferry reservations" and it open a link asking for permission or something for a secure site. Answered yes, then I tapped Make A Reservation in the upper right and I'm on some reservation screen. JavaS and Flash are on (but Goose said unnecessary) and I block popups, accept cookies enble websocks (whatever that is!) and I have Private Browsing Off. Now I don't know if I can make a reservation since I'm not going anywhere (well, there's a bike ride on San Juan Island next weekend but no reservation for bikes.)

I don't know which ferry but are you aware of the I-5 Detour due to the collapsed bridge near Mt Vernon - account for that in driving time.
    I was goingnfrom Whidbey island to Port Townsend. Thanks for the heads up about I5, but I'm heading east from Tacoma next so will miss that little adventure. Weather was nice Monday but a little wet now at Ocean Shores.

My settings are all the same as yours. I gave it another try, using google to search wa state ferry instead of going straight to the website. Alas, it just took me to the same website where I had the same problem. Tapping 'make a reservation' does nothing.
    Last edited by brianatbb; 06-17-13 at 11:49 PM.
    06-17-13 11:35 PM
    My simple checklist for every PB owner now...

If you have any problems, do the following:
    1. Do a security wipe, then reinstall your apps one by one to see if one app is causing problems
    2. If that doesn't work, throw the damn thing against the wall and buy a proper tablet e.g. something with Android, iOS or Windows on it
    sad_old_man and Carl Estes like this.
    06-18-13 04:54 AM
    My simple checklist for every PB owner now...

If you have any problems, do the following:
    1. Do a security wipe, then reinstall your apps one by one to see if one app is causing problems
    2. If that doesn't work, throw the damn thing against the wall and buy a proper tablet e.g. something with Android, iOS or Windows on it
    What would I stand my glass and my pasty on then if I did that?
    06-18-13 07:46 AM
    Thanks for the feedback and explanation. Simple Browser may have handled it. But I tried that app a few months back and didn't like it at all. Can't recall exactly why, but I did delete it. Fast Browser doesn't seem to let me use Google search so I've given up on it.

Yeah, the web is sort of in chaos right now re: mobile devices. Adobe quit supporting flash on mobile devices so most websites are giving HTML5 content to mobile devices. I don't know how the native PB browser handles that. And desktop flash keeps getting updated so that is getting behind on the PB. BB10 should give the best mobile browsing experience as the browser and flash should be updated. When and if we ever get it...

Simple (free) doesn't do bookmarks. That's usually the complaint. I use Fast mostly now with Flash/Java off and it does well til I need to switch it on. I can see why you like Chrome, with the google services integration, but I rarely use it on android because it doesn't support flash. Some sites look a little different coded with HTML5 vs. flash.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-18-13 07:56 AM
    What would I stand my glass and my pasty on then if I did that?
    Buy another iPlate for that.
    06-18-13 07:59 AM
    Perhaps only the stupid people like it, hence I use it. Sitting quietly in the Amex lounge at the airport just now I have managed using that app to search all airlines and find a BA flight to Dusseldorf, book it, reserve my seat, check in, book an hotel reservation and hire a car at Dusseldorf airport for when I arrive. It took me all of 9mins. Sometimes I just love being stupid.
    06-18-13 08:17 AM
    I was goingnfrom Whidbey island to Port Townsend. Thanks for the heads up about I5, but I'm heading east from Tacoma next so will miss that little adventure. Weather was nice Monday but a little wet now at Ocean Shores.

My settings are all the same as yours. I gave it another try, using google to search wa state ferry instead of going straight to the website. Alas, it just took me to the same website where I had the same problem. Tapping 'make a reservation' does nothing.
    Odd - again, I did not follow through but the Reservation Window did open.

Off that subject: Where are you from? June in this neck of the woods can be quite miserable so you have kind of lucked out - and the Ocean is an entirely different environment all year long. After almost 40 years, I've learned Summer comes to most of the US in June - NOT Seattle! We've had highs in the upper 50's for 4th of July and I still recall campers down on the lower elevations of Mt Rainier getting shocked by snow. The Meteorologists have taught me that the Jet Stream does not settle into its Summer pattern till about the second week of July. Sept can be pretty darn wonderful.

The ferries can be really fun - particularly on a bicycle where the usual nice weather long-lines are non-existent. We pedal north from Seattle, grab the Edmonds to Kingston ferry, pedal to Port Gamble (quaint), along the Hood Canal, backroads to Poulsbo, backroads on Bainbridge Island, ferry back to Seattle and pedal home. All in all, a wonderful day.

Enjoy your visit
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-18-13 08:51 AM
    Odd - again, I did not follow through but the Reservation Window did open.

Off that subject: Where are you from? June in this neck of the woods can be quite miserable so you have kind of lucked out - and the Ocean is an entirely different environment all year long. After almost 40 years, I've learned Summer comes to most of the US in June - NOT Seattle! We've had highs in the upper 50's for 4th of July and I still recall campers down on the lower elevations of Mt Rainier getting shocked by snow. The Meteorologists have taught me that the Jet Stream does not settle into its Summer pattern till about the second week of July. Sept can be pretty darn wonderful.

The ferries can be really fun - particularly on a bicycle where the usual nice weather long-lines are non-existent. We pedal north from Seattle, grab the Edmonds to Kingston ferry, pedal to Port Gamble (quaint), along the Hood Canal, backroads to Poulsbo, backroads on Bainbridge Island, ferry back to Seattle and pedal home. All in all, a wonderful day.

Enjoy your visit
    Here were I am of course! Silly boy.
    06-18-13 09:18 AM
    Here were I am of course! Silly boy.
    That is too bad. At this time of year HERE can be better. Within 50 miles (you do your own conversion this time), one can find folks playing golf, sailing, hang gliding, biking, kayaking and hiking in the snow.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-18-13 11:31 AM
    That is too bad. At this time of year HERE can be better. Within 50 miles (you do your own conversion this time), one can find folks playing golf, sailing, hang gliding, biking, kayaking and hiking in the snow.
    Doesn't anyone ever try sitting in a relaxed position in a very comfy chair whilst someone supplies large amounts of brandy and very good food to them?
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-18-13 11:37 AM
59 123