06/29/2013
    I guess with news it makes to move on easier
    BBRY will loose me as a phone customer as well, 2 BB phone lines,
    I don't like to be fooled

my PB showed over the last couple of month its age, 1 GB RAM and a slow processor, I could not use it for streaming anymore, and I
    to open office a doc, xcl, pdf attachements it would crash the PB. plus now the same challenge with the browser.
    when switching between programs, and closing them, the programs do not leave the RAM and still occupy some space, hence other programs can not open

I assume programming error, maybe corrected in BB10
    I had the feeling it was just a overloaded for the slow processor, like the infamous checkered board we see so many times
    I really liked the bridge function, as I had my internet connection everywhere I went to.
    Thinking of it, the PB was only the bridge for BB when running on their old 7.0 - 7.1 and the BB 10 was not ready, so they could offer a product to bridge the 2 years without loosing too many customer

6/16/2013
    Its time to move on
    can not open: (Docs to Go) Doc, Docx, pdf, jpeg, xcl files, crashes when using the bridge and the native email
    so much for the business tablet

native browser, simple browser, Fast Browser the all crash when opening
    Evernote crashed and locks up the computer
    Stocks app crashed
    Worldclock crashes
    Al Jazeera runs to slow and locks up while 5 feet away from my 25mb WiFi connection
    Gallery locks up the computer
    I used to watch you-tube on the PB in 480, not possible anymore

Have to reboot, than it works again until I use a large App gain, than the fun starts again
    the processor seems to be to week, and / or closed apps stay in memory, so a software problem
    no more bridge needed, teetering is faster anyway

I just can not rely on the PB and BB anymore, missing apps like Skype, stockbrokers, banking, TV

90% chance I will move to a MS pro tablet and windows 8, as I will upgrade to Outlook 365 on my Laptop
    so Phone - Tablet - Laptop all on one system -

I wanted the PB to be my Laptop replacement, not to carry my laptop on my numerous oversea biz trips, so I still carry my laptop which I leave in the hotel room
    I have a 25,000 contact database, which I tried to sync with gmail, but gmail accepts only 10,000. but at least the gmail mail app works as I forward several emails to my gmail account
    there is no app to synchronize my outlook contact data to my PB64, so much for the business tablet, there fore I will have to migrate to office 365 and MS surface

spent about $850 on my PB64 - keyboard, cover - charger - and apps

Last edited by hreiner1; 06-29-13 at 07:17 AM.
    06-16-13 06:39 PM
    Not a happy chappie are you. Have you tried a security wipe? Best of luck with your new device anyway. My PB still works for me though.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    06-16-13 07:02 PM
    You really think you will be happy with a Windows 8 device? I have a new windows 8 laptop. People beat up RIM for releasing it too early without full features. I am getting so tired of switching back and forth to the simulated desktop because the OS only half works and 70% of what you need to do has to run in an XP/WIN 7 simulated environment. If 8.1 is not a free upgrade I am going to be so ticked.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 07:34 PM
    Yup, I know how it is. Just minutes ago, I fired up the PB in my hotel room to make a reservation for a ferry ride tomorrow in Washingto state. The webpage opened opened up alright but when I tapped the Make a Reservation tab, nothing happened. Again, again, etc., etc. Checked to make sure java and flash were running. Yup. Still, no go. But no surprise. It's a Playbook, after all. So I grabbed my Samsung phone, fired up Chrome, opened the webpage, made my reservation no problem at all.

The thing is, this is par for the course as far as my 18-month experience with the PB goes. And yes, I will be moving on sometime this summer when the next round of android tablets debut, probably a Nexus.

BB had lots of opportunity to make my PB experience a quality one, but it failed. I bought an android phone for that reason, and I see no reason to change when I upgrade my current phone.
    06-16-13 07:34 PM
    Yup, I know how it is. Just minutes ago, I fired up the PB in my hotel room to make a reservation for a ferry ride tomorrow in Washingto state. The webpage opened opened up alright but when I tapped the Make a Reservation tab, nothing happened. Again, again, etc., etc. Checked to make sure java and flash were running. Yup. Still, no go. But no surprise. It's a Playbook, after all. So I grabbed my Samsung phone, fired up Chrome, opened the webpage, made my reservation no problem at all.

The thing is, this is par for the course as far as my 18-month experience with the PB goes. And yes, I will be moving on sometime this summer when the next round of android tablets debut, probably a Nexus.

BB had lots of opportunity to make my PB experience a quality one, but it failed. I bought an android phone for that reason, and I see no reason to change when I upgrade my current phone.
    Well, those sorts of problems are more webpage than the PB. It wasn't a Java/Flash site if Chrome opened it. Chrome doesn't support that. So, when a device renders the site, the site will feed android optimized content back if it is android, iOS content if it is Apple, etc. PB is not as common so there probably won't be PB optimized content. Sure, you would expect PB to have a "desktop" experience but there are sites it will have trouble with. It would have been interesting to see if you used something like Simple Browser and set the user agent to android what would have happened.
    rotorwrench and brianatbb like this.
    06-16-13 08:05 PM
    hreiner1:

Sorry to read about your troubles.

That many apps should not crash - so I suspect that something is definitely amiss. Do you sideload androids apps and if so, which one(s)? One of the Android app managers can tame things and kill the process or even UNload it from the system.

How full is your pb? Any storage space available?

As suggested a Security Wipe or Debrick might be in order.
    EchoesFX and hreiner1 like this.
    06-16-13 08:46 PM
    brianatbb

Which ferry and where are you headed - hopefully, tomorrow will be as nice as today, barring the high clouds! But I'd be curious about the reservation system failing.

Hmm, just fired up the native browser on my 32 gig (64 is downstairs connected to tv) and typed "wa state ferry reservations" and it open a link asking for permission or something for a secure site. Answered yes, then I tapped Make A Reservation in the upper right and I'm on some reservation screen. JavaS and Flash are on (but Goose said unnecessary) and I block popups, accept cookies enble websocks (whatever that is!) and I have Private Browsing Off. Now I don't know if I can make a reservation since I'm not going anywhere (well, there's a bike ride on San Juan Island next weekend but no reservation for bikes.)

I don't know which ferry but are you aware of the I-5 Detour due to the collapsed bridge near Mt Vernon - account for that in driving time.
    Last edited by F2; 06-16-13 at 09:00 PM.
    Origen likes this.
    06-16-13 08:47 PM
    That is probably BlackBerry want to happen to ALL PlayBook users i.e. to move on... so, nobody will cry anymore for an update regardless it is OS 2.2 or BB10...

BlackBerry is probably hate us for trying to hold them up... we have to learn the art of letting go...

Posted via Z10
    06-16-13 08:56 PM
    Well I must say I've just started using my playbook more this past 2 days as I have given my ipad 2 to my girlfriend to start using. I am looking forward to the new OS when it arrives as should the apps. I love this little tablet and am far from replacing it. Good luck with your new tablet which ever you choose.
    06-16-13 09:31 PM
    You really think you will be happy with a Windows 8 device? I have a new windows 8 laptop. People beat up RIM for releasing it too early without full features. I am getting so tired of switching back and forth to the simulated desktop because the OS only half works and 70% of what you need to do has to run in an XP/WIN 7 simulated environment. If 8.1 is not a free upgrade I am going to be so ticked.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I can't believe Microsoft isn't perpetually flamed for Windows 8. The OP is has no idea what he is talking about, threatening to leave BlackBerry for a W8 tablet.
    rotorwrench and Bakamushi like this.
    06-16-13 10:48 PM
    My work PB will be 2yrs old in a month and still running fine. It's not a toy or entertainment device but a work tablet that's used every weekday, Monday thru Friday, same as the other PBs at work. No app problems, still good battery life and no browser issues. My personal PB is 18 months old and no different, although it's not used as hard. It is used everyday, but for personal use: Bridge, browsing, email, reading, music and personal docs and record keeping. FWIW, never a wipe or sideload on either. OP, sorry yours has gone wacky, but most are still humming along and I plan on still using mine for a while to come. I've even have a couple of spare batteries just in case they go out. I tried other tablets lately and still haven't come across one that fits my needs nor serves my purposes as well. Good luck.
    hreiner1 likes this.
    06-17-13 12:58 AM
    I have a 64 gb with 45gb available space,
    all apps bought through BB app site, no side loading,
    it is like the 1 gb processor is overloaded, when I reboot that it works for an hour ore so

hreiner1:

Sorry to read about your troubles.

That many apps should not crash - so I suspect that something is definitely amiss. Do you sideload androids apps and if so, which one(s)? One of the Android app managers can tame things and kill the process or even UNload it from the system.

How full is your pb? Any storage space available?

As suggested a Security Wipe or Debrick might be in order.
    06-17-13 06:08 AM
    I don't want to move on, but out of necessity I will have to
    I don't want to carry my laptop on biz trips anymore, so I need a tablet which works

at airport security checks taking out 1 laptop, 1 tablet, 2 phones and all the chargers and put it in the buspan, than show all the liquids, while you are loosing your pants when you raise your arms, as your belt is in the next pan,

I want to install office 365 on my laptop, I am sure PB2 or PB 10 will never get a native app for that, so I would have to open it in a browser
    plus the absence of skype is a real problem, as my main biz number is a skype number

My work PB will be 2yrs old in a month and still running fine. It's not a toy or entertainment device but a work tablet that's used every weekday, Monday thru Friday, same as the other PBs at work. No app problems, still good battery life and no browser issues. My personal PB is 18 months old and no different, although it's not used as hard. It is used everyday, but for personal use: Bridge, browsing, email, reading, music and personal docs and record keeping. FWIW, never a wipe or sideload on either. OP, sorry yours has gone wacky, but most are still humming along and I plan on still using mine for a while to come. I've even have a couple of spare batteries just in case they go out. I tried other tablets lately and still haven't come across one that fits my needs nor serves my purposes as well. Good luck.
    06-17-13 06:36 AM
    I don't want to carry my laptop on biz trips anymore, so I need a tablet which works

at airport security checks taking out 1 laptop, 1 tablet, 2 phones and all the chargers and put it in the buspan, than show all the liquids, while you are loosing your pants when you raise your arms, as your belt is in the next pan,

I want to install office 365 on my laptop, I am sure PB2 or PB 10 will never get a native app for that, so I would have to open it in a browser
    plus the absence of skype is a real problem, as my main biz number is a skype number
    As stated earlier, try a security wipe first and if that doesn't sort the problem out do a debrick and reinstall the OS. That will!
    06-17-13 06:55 AM
    That is probably BlackBerry want to happen to ALL PlayBook users i.e. to move on... so, nobody will cry anymore for an update regardless it is OS 2.2 or BB10...

Posted via Z10
    BlackBerry is probably hate us for trying to hold them up... we have to learn the art of letting go...
    There's nothing artistic about letting go. The challenge here is how not to let go and be creative. Look at this forum. It flourishes and attracting more new posters everyday. Thanks to our fearless leader of the sad_old_man and his side kick the six foot mouse. Not to mention his superhero friends of baby,bush, duck, ape , fish , cat, (by the way I'm going to be Barbara here and ask F2 if he is an animal, what kind of animal is he?) Sorry i can't name them all. The League of the Extraordinary Dense, Alcoholic, Loyal to a fault Playbook owners.
    P.S Should BB10 not coming to playbook, I think the company owe us some LCBO gift cards. It's a place where you purchase alcohol for those who do not know.
    06-17-13 08:03 AM
    As stated earlier, try a security wipe first and if that doesn't sort the problem out do a debrick and reinstall the OS. That will!
    I was having to do a security wipe every one to two months to keep the browser running even halfway decently. If not, tap tap, tap tap, hello in there, McFly? And the keyboard lag would become atrocious, with the PB not registering keyboard input at first and then spitting out letters like a machine gun.
    06-17-13 08:09 AM
    There's nothing artistic about letting go. The challenge here is how not to let go and be creative. Look at this forum. It flourishes and attracting more new posters everyday. Thanks to our fearless leader of the sad_old_man and his side kick the six foot mouse. Not to mention his superhero friends of baby,bush, duck, ape , fish , cat, (by the way I'm going to be Barbara here and ask F2 if he is an animal, what kind of animal is he?) Sorry i can't name them all. The League of the Extraordinary Dense, Alcoholic, Loyal to a fault Playbook owners.
    P.S Should BB10 not coming to playbook, I think the company owe us some LCBO gift cards. It's a place where you purchase alcohol for those who do not know.
    Awe shucks cat I didn't know you cared?

By the way F(version unknown) is a polar bear!
    06-17-13 08:22 AM

You want a different platform, there's nothing wrong with that.
    You don't need the crashing apps excuses.
    Obviously that is a fixable problem. If not all Playbooks would be acting the same way, which they aren't.
    So, either fix your Playbook or move to a different platform. No big deal.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-17-13 08:37 AM
    sounds like more to the issue @ hand than meets the eye here,,, too many unusual problems that may indicate either bogus apps installed or user error...
    sad_old_man and hreiner1 like this.
    06-17-13 08:45 AM
    Don't ya wish you saved your money for surface pro that will cost that much or more? I have to agree you spent way too much for what you got.
    06-17-13 08:48 AM
    sounds like more to the issue @ hand than meets the eye here,,, too many unusual problems that may indicate either bogus apps installed or user error...
    Now let's just be fair here guys. Non parametric end users don't know they are non parametric end users. Ducks don't know they are ducks they just get on with life. Welcome this man into our hearts and show him we care about his issues.

I'll start,

1. Do you need the number of my therapist?
    2. Do you like Brandy?
    3. Do you like pasties?
    4. Welcome to the luny bin!

Have a nice day!!!!!!
    06-17-13 09:23 AM
    Now let's just be fair here guys. Non parametric end users don't know they are non parametric end users. Ducks don't know they are ducks they just get on with life. Welcome this man into our hearts and show him we care about his issues.

I'll start,

1. Do you need the number of my therapist?
    2. Do you like Brandy?
    3. Do you like pasties?
    4. Welcome to the luny bin!

Have a nice day!!!!!!
    Sneaky bast*rd taking advantage of the vulnerability unsatisfied playbook owners. Just don't come knocking on my door and sell me Jehovah Witness.
    06-17-13 09:32 AM
    Just wipe and reinstall. There are good chances your problems will be gone: that was the case for me.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-17-13 09:46 AM
    The OP is right.

Many of us bought a playbook in order NOT to buy a toy for pre-teens with lots of gaming and chat. As it turns out the playbook is less able for business life than the toys for pre-teens.

Last year I was in Eastern Europe and I had to reschedule a flight in emergency. I was very lucky I had and android tablet with the flight company's app.

And as he mentioned (in an another thread I think), arriving in a professional meeting with your tablet and being unable to open a PDF is a total no no. That sort of shortcoming doesn't fall in the category of "coming soon", but rather in the category of "stay away from me".

Playbook continues to be great for reading epubs though. Like an e-reader but with backlighting.
    06-17-13 10:58 AM
    I use mine for business meetings every now and then and it shows PDFS without any issue. It also opens them great from my work email address. Not sure why yours isn't working properly? Maybe do a wipe and re-install.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 11:06 AM
59 123