This is just some feedback and your mileage may vary also...
    We just took a 7 day trip to Colorado, New Mexico and back to Houston. During our stay I used the PB for directions and my Torch for a GPS........well tried......

The same PB behavior occurred at every WiFi location. First the Google map would only allow the "A" entry and the browser would not respond to add the destination to the "B" selection. Had to use mapquest (yech) Only the browser would hang at about 80% or so and would take about a minute to two minutes to fully load up. I cleared cache, history and finally had to clear everything. Now this suck because as we all know the native browser will not save the passwords. So I"m stuck having to re-enter 10-16 character passwords which are on home computer.()

This clearing all feature, did not help either. Browser behavior still the same. I had to reboot multiple time every day to get browser to perform well enough to use. Two tired grand-kids waiting on the ol fart to hurry up was very frustrating.

Solution use one Captivate phone and one iPhone from them. How embarrassing and frustrating. From reading these forums it seems that these things are more for entertainment and games then a real tool. I tried to use it as a real tool and found it very frustrating.

Yes, I did feel like pitching it like a Nolan Ryan fastball up against the hotel brick wall....then I can write hey my PB was just bricked!!!

As my Torch spent all of its time "loading" the kids gave me all the info I needed.

After seven days of frustrations and numerous work arounds and the constant PB delays of the long 'reboot time'..... I have come to the conclusion that I no longer have the patience to wait for the BB10. If the Savior of RIMM is the much beloved QNX and after my experience then I'm not sure I'm willing to hang around for another mediocre release of the QNX. The PB was ok when I'm at home talking to wife drinking tea and waiting for it to respond just never gave it much thought. Now that I need it to work like it's supposed to and family was waiting for the info so we can get going.....ah...not so much.........

Yeah I know There are those also that love they way it works perfectly and that's great I get it....that is why I'm sharing my experience to increase user feedback.....

But decision time for tablet and phone will be be forth coming within a month. I have another trip to make to Alabama. Should this experience continue to pan out the same then the decision will have been made for me by the product performance and no other influence.

Here's the conundrum.... I hate/despise hemroid because of the severe Google data mining and the had-in-glove relationship with NSA and all alphabet agencies.

MS may do the same but presently am unaware of it so that means I will have to take a close look at the MS phone and tablet that they are releasing........ sigh

Oh well....hey thanks dude and dudettes for listening...... hope Rimm really works this out....they really need to make it all work because the market place is only as good as the number of competitors are out in the market place........
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-19-12 10:24 AM
    I think the whole using the internet on the Phone/PlayBook for mapping is a bit flawed still. I used a PlayBook for navigating when skiing in Main this winter. The problem is in rural areas the cell data can be too slow to make it usable. In the end the built in GPS Navigation system in the truck was more reliable. I was hoping the PlayBook would be like using a laptop and a map program, but having to rely on the cellular data to get maps was actually slower than just using the built in navigation system in the truck. The GPS of the truck is also slow to pan, move the maps, but at least the maps store in it on a CD and redraw eventually.

As you probably figured out, Google doesn't work great on the PlayBook. It has gotten a bit better on OS 2 and one work around is to use your torch as a mouse via bridge to select things that don't seem to select with the touch screen.

Currently, Magellan Compass is probably the best GPS app for the PlayBook and has improves since I used it in March. It will now allow you to cache the maps on your route so if cellular data is spotty, you still have maps. Search and rerouting though still needs cellular data.
    Last edited by robsteve; 06-19-12 at 10:39 AM.
    06-19-12 10:36 AM
    I can echo your experiences. I have tried to use my PB for both work and personal use and it is EXTREMELY lacking and not useful. Bridge performance is pathetic and many apps won't work bridged. I took it on a trip instead of my laptop and found I could not get any meaningful work accomplished. It mainly sits and does nothing now.

I currently use a Win 7 slate tablet which I can tether to my 9800 via bluetooth and have great network speeds. The 9800 will also work as a remote control on this tablet as well for presentations.

I too am tired of hearing just wait for the next update/upgrade etc.. My current phone contract is up in October and I will be looking very close at the new win8 phones and tablets.
    06-19-12 10:43 AM
    google maps works great on my android phone
    06-19-12 10:56 AM
    I will dive in here and comment that the issues you're having could easily be dealt with as follows.

#1. Google maps doesn't work too good in the PB browser. But if you go into AppWorld with your PB, download a free app called "Map Search for Google", it does exactly what you wanted to do in terms of providing maps and directions. It does need either wifi or a bridge connection to work. In my experience it works really well all over the U.S., Canada & Mxico.

#2. On your phone, download BlackBerry Traffic, free in AppWorld. It gives directions using the phone's built-in GPS and gets the data over the mobile phone connection or wifi. BB Traffic doesn't provide a map, just directions, which are announced by voice and also displayed on the screen as text. I've been using for a few months now and it works like a charm. I even prefer it to the GPS in my car because the BB Traffic data is updated whereas my car's gps uses a data disk that can be replaced occasionally.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 06-19-12 at 11:01 AM.
    Stewartj1, dusdal and Chinookman like this.
    06-19-12 10:58 AM
    Sorry you had such problems, but we all don't. I have yet to experience browser issues as you describe. I would like a standalone GPS client, but Magellan does work well for now, and that from being used on a motorcycle as well as in a truck over most of the Northwest; when I have a signal that is.

You're also entitled to your opinion and it is welcome, but as you said, don't be surprised that many may disagree about the tool comment. Your GPS problems make the PB no less a tool for most. Just because a hammer won't cut wood doesn't lessen it as a tool.

From your previous posts and the problems you are having now, I think you would be happier with something else. Good luck.
    416to604 and sputneek like this.
    06-19-12 10:59 AM
    I can echo your experiences. I have tried to use my PB for both work and personal use and it is EXTREMELY lacking and not useful. Bridge performance is pathetic and many apps won't work bridged. I took it on a trip instead of my laptop and found I could not get any meaningful work accomplished. It mainly sits and does nothing now.

I currently use a Win 7 slate tablet which I can tether to my 9800 via bluetooth and have great network speeds. The 9800 will also work as a remote control on this tablet as well for presentations.

I too am tired of hearing just wait for the next update/upgrade etc.. My current phone contract is up in October and I will be looking very close at the new win8 phones and tablets.
    I wonder why that is. No I don't.
    06-19-12 11:01 AM

That's your opinion and experience, not everyone's nor mine. A great work tablet for many. Your needs may be different, thats why it's good to have a choice. You like a Windows tablet, we didn't. Bridge is a big factor for my company and it serves our needs fine. Good luck with Windows.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-19-12 at 11:08 AM.
    06-19-12 11:06 AM
    The Playbook is good as a portable movie player, web browser (around wifi), and has a few decent games. It's an entertainment device. That's really all you can expect and its price has been adjusted accordingly.

If you want a tablet that does navigation/mapping then go with an inexpensive Android tablet.
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-19-12 11:11 AM
    The Playbook is good as a portable movie player, web browser (around wifi), and has a few decent games. It's an entertainment device. That's really all you can expect and its price has been adjusted accordingly.
    I agree and will add it manages my email and calendar needs pretty well.
    That is a true objective comment, but you may be blasted by some subjective PB fans.
    06-19-12 11:24 AM
    I have factory NAV unit in my car but still use magellan most times. It's just faster to input an address.

OP- I don't have much luck with Google maps in the browser but as some posters pointed out, there are other options.
    06-19-12 11:26 AM
    Chinny - couple general inputs:

As long as the combo got you back to the Lone Star Republic - all else is just a nuisance (where in NM btw??). GOD BLESS TEXAS!!

#1 Have you tried BB Traffic?? not a combo deal w/PB but awesome!

#2 Tested GMaps for the first time just now and not an easy experience - seems it loads/loads/loads without allowing you to move to the "B" location, then to choose "Add Destination" etc. Patience worked, but painful.

#3 keep in mind, TomTom is being integrated for BB10 (right?), so PB too is my assumption

#4 Speed / waiting / etc. With your 9800, 3G only, but same goes for the Captivate, right? iPhone? Same carriers all? from living/working traveling in the Texas Panhandle / New Mexico plains - high desert / mountains I can attest to some tough cell issues - but then again - you said the kiddos phones were fine.

4a Maybe SimpleBrowser or another browser might play nicer??

#5 Passwords - you have to decide whether this is a security issue for yourself (I PW protect my BB phones / PB) : Use AutoText (Word Substitution now) from your phone for PW storage and quick entry via Bridge Remote! for example "1ppw" = "password". I use several, and it actually forces me into better pw creation - on PB if I use leading pw alpha character it goes over bridge as a CAPS letter, so I use leading numeric characters. IIRC, some pw fields/pages/BB apps won't allow this quick entry method, but at least I have the pw handy in AutoText AND in PW Keeper - it is a lifesaver.

#6 I'd bet there will be some folks come along with the same challenges, and bet some folks will come along with GREAT app suggestions, things that work! Who knows, you might even inspire a dev to come up with some solutions.

You may be like me, Chinny - stuck on my 9800, ready to upgrade (now!) but deciding to take faster/better 99xx today for a few months then pop full$ for BB10 at launch, or wait for BB10 keyboard model, OR just wait it out with the 9800 until . . . . It's still a pretty powerful phone/tablet combo most of the time!

BB / PB is a real tool combo for me everyday as an industrial sales guy covering the entire state of Louisiana.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    06-19-12 11:34 AM
    That is a true objective comment, but you may be blasted by some subjective PB fans.
    I agree too except it doesn't even manage my email and calendar, which crash repeatedly and are not always restored with a reboot. It's a great tool as long as you don't mind the long reboot times and don't need timely access to either email or calendar.
    06-19-12 11:39 AM
    I agree too except it doesn't even manage my email and calendar, which crash repeatedly and are not always restored with a reboot. It's a great tool as long as you don't mind the long reboot times and don't need timely access to either email or calendar.
    I am with you, but have found it works good with not too many accounts. My work Outlook and hotmail (main personal) together works fine, but don't add gmail, then my 'freeze' troubles start. So I removed my gmail.
    06-19-12 11:47 AM
    Google maps from the browser works pretty well for me, though no GPS natively of course.

To enter directions what I have found is I am only able to enter starting point (A), and cannot click the text field to enter destination (B). So what I do is enter A, swap A and B (effectively putting destination first temporarily), then enter my destination into B then swap again.

If I'm on the road I bridge my BB w my PB and use Bing maps since it has gps built-in.
    06-19-12 12:06 PM
    Osmand, a free app in app world, allows for downloading of full state maps for offline use, plus it has GPS and navigation (though it needs wifi to plot a route). So you can at least have detailed state maps even without wifi. Further, Dolphin Browser, and probably the other android browsers, allow you to enter Point (B) in the web based version of Google Maps. And, there is always the Google Maps app, which needs sideloading, and which has GPS and voice guided navigation. but also needs wifi to plot a course.
    06-19-12 12:39 PM
    That's your opinion and experience, not everyone's nor mine. A great work tablet for many. Your needs may be different, thats why it's good to have a choice. You like a Windows tablet, we didn't. Bridge is a big factor for my company and it serves our needs fine. Good luck with Windows.
    I agree and if it works for you that's great. I'm a Manager in a technical field and unfortunately the PB just can't get the job done. Except for giving me a larger screen to view my emails on it has little other use.

The windows tabs will offer real usable business apps without the need for constant tinkering or side loading in the hopes of getting something that works.

By the time Rim actually makes the PB a good business tablet mine will probably break
    06-19-12 12:41 PM

Roger that yep our son was using it on his Samsung Captivate and worked well...mean time....loading...loading...loading...zzzzzzz....
    06-19-12 05:03 PM
    I will dive in here and comment that the issues you're having could easily be dealt with as follows.

#1. Google maps doesn't work too good in the PB browser. But if you go into AppWorld with your PB, download a free app called "Map Search for Google", it does exactly what you wanted to do in terms of providing maps and directions. It does need either wifi or a bridge connection to work. In my experience it works really well all over the U.S., Canada & Mxico.

#2. On your phone, download BlackBerry Traffic, free in AppWorld. It gives directions using the phone's built-in GPS and gets the data over the mobile phone connection or wifi. BB Traffic doesn't provide a map, just directions, which are announced by voice and also displayed on the screen as text. I've been using for a few months now and it works like a charm. I even prefer it to the GPS in my car because the BB Traffic data is updated whereas my car's gps uses a data disk that can be replaced occasionally.
    Thanks for the tip and will look at the PB app but the Torch is just freaking slow no matter what app I use that requires any data usage at all...... that just really keeps pushing me over the edge......
    06-19-12 05:05 PM
    Sorry you had such problems, but we all don't. I have yet to experience browser issues as you describe. I would like a standalone GPS client, but Magellan does work well for now, and that from being used on a motorcycle as well as in a truck over most of the Northwest; when I have a signal that is.

You're also entitled to your opinion and it is welcome, but as you said, don't be surprised that many may disagree about the tool comment. Your GPS problems make the PB no less a tool for most. Just because a hammer won't cut wood doesn't lessen it as a tool.

From your previous posts and the problems you are having now, I think you would be happier with something else. Good luck.
    Well you are correct on some points... I did not post to ask for a band wagon of posters agreeing...merely sharing my own personal experience thought that was pretty clear...I also stated that your mileage will vary....that most will have a great working PB and that I get that also.... and no it is NOT an OPINION...these are first hand personal experiences as as of the last seven days of use... as I used the WiFi with four different locations being three hotels and the B&B we stayed at for four days. And yes, I will evaluate the next trip to Alabama and will most likely make a decision by then......

As far as this being a tool, yes, I get that also; it has NOT been a good tool for my application and your own mileage may vary. Guess I was not very clear in my OP so maybe spanglish will work next time????
    Last edited by Chinookman; 06-19-12 at 05:22 PM. Reason: clean up stay on topic
    06-19-12 05:13 PM

I hope not no need in any blasting looks like a pretty fair assessment .... but I do not think we can have the foresight to see how well a device works for our own needs until we actually get to apply those demands at the moment.

I appreciate the info on the different apps to try out it gives me time to play for the up coming trip.

But as stated previously man sure do despise android for no other reason then it's a Google based system ..... one would have to do a search to find out just how low they have become and how well they frame their model as to why it's just wonderful to data mine all your electronic footprint and then happily share it with xxxx agency.....
    06-19-12 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD