View Poll Results: PB early adopters, will you ever buy another BB product?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • No!, No more BB for me!

148 64.35%
  • Yes!, I will continue purchasing BB items

77 33.48%
  • Already sold my PB and left BB

5 2.17%
    Ok what about the battery life on my Z10? Ok you got 9 months to reply but that's no reason to forget me. I have a legitimate problem with a bb.............. Oh sorry wrong forum.

Right thread just wrong forum?
    Wrong forum as in if you are wanting something "fixed" and the manufacturer won't address the problem you need a device in which you have a LARGE group of "Modders, or Hackers" that can actually go into core system files and FIX the problem.

With a BlackBerry device if the Z10 is anything like the PlayBook there is no modding community to speak of so you are like a newborn baby TOTALLY dependent upon BlackBerry for ANY "fix".

sad_old_man likes this.
    07-19-13 02:53 PM
    Wrong forum as in if you are wanting something "fixed" and the manufacturer won't address the problem you need a device in which you have a LARGE group of "Modders, or Hackers" that can actually go into core system files and FIX the problem.

With a BlackBerry device if the Z10 is anything like the PlayBook there is no modding community to speak of so you are like a newborn baby TOTALLY dependent upon BlackBerry for ANY "fix".

If I wasn't stuck in this he'll hole I might find that humorous and even funny. At my age being referred to as a newborn. I like you, I like you a lot!

Still doesn't help me with my total piece of crap Z10 and it's dismal battery now does it?
    07-19-13 03:02 PM
    Wrong forum as in if you are wanting something "fixed" and the manufacturer won't address the problem you need a device in which you have a LARGE group of "Modders, or Hackers" that can actually go into core system files and FIX the problem..
    I was under the impression that the lack of openings to "hack" the PB was the main reason there wasn't any 'LARGE group of "Modders, or Hackers"' here. This would seem to have nothing to do with the unwillingness of the "Modders or Hackers", but with the fact that Blackberry (for once, and only after the Dingleberry story) actually did something right, albeit only from their perspective, obviously.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-19-13 03:11 PM
    I was under the impression that the lack of openings to "hack" the PB was the main reason there wasn't any 'LARGE group of "Modders, or Hackers"' here. This would seem to have nothing to do with the unwillingness of the "Modders or Hackers", but with the fact that Blackberry (for once, and only after the Dingleberry story) actually did something right, albeit only from their perspective, obviously.
    God forbid you just said bb did something right. For gods sake don't tell thor he's already power crazy!
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    07-19-13 03:14 PM
    Yep, Locked down device = No modding community.
    No Modding community = You are TOTALLY dependent on the manufacturer like a newborn baby for everything.
    To assure this if it becomes known people are being able to edit system files, OR say for example "fix" a problem the manufacturer is not addressing, You need to LOCK DOWN the device as BlackBerry has done with the PlayBook, post DingleBerry era.

Imagine the embarrassment if a group of modders were able to get into the core OS and actually fix issues that had been plaguing the device since the day it was released?

We at BlackBerry can't have that, we need to lock that sucker down!
    07-19-13 03:44 PM
    But, in all honesty, rooting and such could (and most probably would) wreak havoc on the fabled Blackberry security... And "being secure" has always been one of their main selling points.
    07-19-13 03:56 PM
    But, in all honesty, rooting and such could (and most probably would) wreak havoc on the fabled Blackberry security... And "being secure" has always been one of their main selling points.
    Yes but imagine the embarrassment if a group of modders were able to get into the core OS and actually fix issues that had been plaguing the device since the day it was released!

Security issues aside can you imagine how it would look to have a group of amateurs fix , add key apps people have been wanting since day one?

07-19-13 04:11 PM
    At this point it would mainly depend on the spin they give it PR-wise. Now they could sell it as them being generous enough to grant us access...
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    07-19-13 04:17 PM
    At this point it would mainly depend on the spin they give it PR-wise. Now they could sell it as them being generous enough to grant us access...
    Your ticket to Waterloo is in the mail. I say run with that idea... Not like they are going to fix or add anything (Based upon past history).
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    07-20-13 03:41 AM
    Yes but imagine the embarrassment if a group of modders were able to get into the core OS and actually fix issues that had been plaguing the device since the day it was released!

Security issues aside can you imagine how it would look to have a group of amateurs fix , add key apps people have been wanting since day one?

Case in point, the Origami Browser that were just uploaded by Shun Yoshida. Hey look ! No more checkered board. Oh look! Ad blocker! I'm sure others will find many more user friendly features on this browser that BB seems to think their own developers were not capable of.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    07-20-13 06:28 AM
    I am hardly what you would call and "early" PB adopter, I only came to it at christmas last, but I am a longtime BlackBerry phone user, due to my employer adopting them for security purposes. I have stated time and again that I am entirely satisfied with my PB and what it can do, but I also know it hasn't reached anywhere near its full potential and for BB to just stop all support other than technical, is a gigantic boot in the swingers to both the platform and its customers. I detest huge corporations treating its customers, many of them loyal diehards, in this way. So like many more of you, I will never again give BB a single penny of my hard earned cash.

Ironically, if the stories are true about sales and competition then we are probably looking at a company in its death throes and whose future (if it has one) lies either with android or windows.
    07-20-13 06:59 AM
    Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 07:45 PM
    Case in point, the Origami Browser that were just uploaded by Shun Yoshida. Hey look ! No more checkered board. Oh look! Ad blocker! I'm sure others will find many more user friendly features on this browser that BB seems to think their own developers were not capable of.
    Amazing and is this just one guy doing something great in his spare time that a team of programmers under the direction of their masterful supervisors couldn't do in many months?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-20-13 09:51 PM
    Amazing and is this just one guy doing something great in his spare time that a team of programmers under the direction of their masterful supervisors couldn't do in many months?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    It's comments like that, that make me really angry - not your comments but the inherent "blow it all!". To think Rim/bbry squandered an incredible product so terribly - my blood boils!
    07-21-13 12:28 AM
    Yup. PB is dated and should not be updated, it works fine as is. What I want to see sooner rather than later is the mobile computing replacement for the PlayBook. I'm hopeful BBRY has that in the development queue, super hush hush, and we'll start to see it by 2014. Flood the market with them cause these should be cheap.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 01:06 AM
    I'm totally pissed at BlackBerry, don't get me wrong, but I think BB10 is the best mobile OS out there. I'm not going to switch over to iOS or Android when I know they are inferior products. I just wish BlackBerry sees the light and gives us PlayBook OS 3.0.
    07-21-13 07:11 AM
    Maybe.

I bought my PlayBook in the first week that they were released, Knowing that the OS was not ready for prime time, but had been really happy with my BlackBerry experince (Bold 9000 and Torch 9800). Over the two years of using the PB and listening to BlackBerry (RIM at the time) make statement after statment about the PB updates and having still no modern "real" business level apps (phone or tablet), I finally made the painful decision to switch platforms.

Now seeing all the issues with the Z10 and Q10 in the states (carrier buy in), I believe that my decision was best for my needs. My PB is still used daily at my office as a clock, internet radio, and gaming device. But when it comes to apps they never fully materialized.

I will not buy another BlackBerry device (lesson learned) until they have available all of the tools that I need. I will no longer be an early adopter (on any platform) or believe in anything BlackBerry states until I see it available.

I believe that mobile computing is here now, not in the future, and that apps and tools are the major part of the success (or failure) for any platform.

I have not written BlackBerry off yet, but will be very cautious before purchasing any of there products in the future.
    FF22 and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    07-22-13 12:47 PM
    I wasn't an early adopter but spent $199 on the 16gb version. I wish I had that money back so I could buy an Android tablet. I already dumped by BB Tour for an Android phone and would like to have some decent apps for my tablet.
    07-22-13 07:26 PM
    In that case could you tell me how to get my Z10 battery to last more than 4 hrs? Please, please, please.

Posted via CB10
    Did you not get the email from RimBerry today?
    07-22-13 07:57 PM
    Probably not. I've owned Blackberry's since the 7130 and although the devices sometimes didn't have all the apps etc I would have liked, it was my choice to live with it..... BlackBerry makes the best device. period! No argument will convince me otherwise.... maybe not the most popular, but the best made.

However, the PlayBook fiasco has turned me off of RIM. Like most other people, I want, like Apple and Android, to have my phone and tablet to run the same OS. Obviously this won't be the case with the PB.... So, unless RIM does something to pay me back for a change, it ain't gonna happen!

And that's a shame for lots of us, your foolish arguments comparing phones and tablets to cars etc won't change our minds. Sorry.
    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    FF22 and brianatbb like this.
    07-22-13 08:23 PM
    Yup. PB is dated and should not be updated, it works fine as is. What I want to see sooner rather than later is the mobile computing replacement for the PlayBook. I'm hopeful BBRY has that in the development queue, super hush hush, and we'll start to see it by 2014. Flood the market with them cause these should be cheap.

Posted via CB10
    There will be no replacement for the PB. Heins has already said tablets have no future, meaning no future with BB. He doesn't seem to realize that also means BB has no future outside of some corporate and personal niches. Most people want a system that includes both a smartphone and a tablet or laptop. With Windows and Apple, they have the full range. Android give them two out of three. BB just one. Who will lock himself into that in future.
    FF22, Chrysalis1156 and BB_Bmore like this.
    07-23-13 10:27 AM
    ...that also means BB has no future outside of some corporate and personal niches. Most people want a system that includes both a smartphone and a tablet or laptop... Android give them two out of three. BB just one.
    I work for IT services in the Civil Service (federal government for my American cousins) here in Northern Ireland. We, like many more corporations the world over, have adopted BlackBerry as our mobile communications devices, for its security more than anything else. We are able to determine to the nth degree exactly what users can do with their BB phones by restricting installation abilies, locking them down to corporate internet and email access etc. We also introduced PlayBooks to our more "high profile" (management etc) users when they first appeared.

When details emerged of RIM's marketplace problems I asked what alternative there is to BB and was told that there is none. BlackBerry is alone in the market with its security features. So if this scenario is mirrored across the globe then I doubt we will be seeing the demise of BB any time soon. But its future, as its beginnings, will most definitely lie in the corporate sector.
    08-05-13 07:21 AM
    No more BB, for me. Promise, promise, promise, then "Oh, never mind".

Bought a Windows Phone, last week. I like it, very much.
    FF22 and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    08-05-13 07:55 AM
    There will be no replacement for the PB. Heins has already said tablets have no future, meaning no future with BB.
    I wouldn't place too much weight on that specific statement. Heins is, after all, a business man. If the market shifts/tilts/whatever even BB might create a new tablet. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-05-13 10:36 AM
    I wouldn't place too much weight on that specific statement. Heins is, after all, a business man. If the market shifts/tilts/whatever even BB might create a new tablet. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
    I would like to add "gone fishing" , so I can't comment cause I'm not here I'm over there fishing...... I think!
    08-05-13 04:46 PM
260 ... 891011