View Poll Results: PB early adopters, will you ever buy another BB product?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • No!, No more BB for me!

148 64.35%
  • Yes!, I will continue purchasing BB items

77 33.48%
  • Already sold my PB and left BB

5 2.17%
    Ever heard the phrase "Moving at the speed of technology"? I understand that many of you are heartbroken about the broken promise, but seriously, you're mad b/c a tablet released 2 years ago won't run technology 2 years later.
    The question is: Did the Playbook work when it was released? Was it supported when it was released? If so, then you really have no argument. The only expectation you should have had when you bought the Playbook is that it worked on the day you bought it, for what it was designed to do. Otherwise, I should be mad that my 1990s dvd player doesn't play blu-ray. Same argument. You're really mad b/c technology isn't future-proof.

But I do understand the argument about the broken promise. BUT, 1) Do you know how many android devices came out with the promise they would be updated from Gingerbread? Some never made it, but is there an android boycott frenzy going on? and 2) Verizon's been telling us we're getting our 10.1 update soon, too. If we don't get it is there going to be another riot? and 3) Everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure Heins didn't make the promise with the intention to let you all down. He made the promise too soon & had to own up to it. At least he didn't string you along for months/years. They actually TRIED to do it. He may be head of BlackBerry, but he's human. And technology isn't perfect. he set a goal for the Playbook, failed, let a lot of people down, and owned up to it.
    Did the Playbook work when released...HARDLY.
    Was the Playbook supported when released....BARELY with many promises that things would be fixed or better or whatever. And fairly a few were.
    So the excuse is from you that you should trash your device every year or so. Hummm.... what about every 1 year or maybe every 6 months. That's an arbitrary threshold and has no bearing on reality. Where is the updated Playbook hardware? If what you say is so then its only so because new hardware has taken its place. Comparing the PB's demise to a DVD player vrs a Blu-Ray player is not valid. It took new hardware for every Blu-Ray player to work with Blu-Ray discs. Where is RIMs new Playbook?
    The biggest problem I have is that Thorny made my Playbook obsolete and didn't even ask if that would be ok.
    Apple can run their OS on a device that has less memory and horse power than the play book and they still support it. Hummmm.... guess QNX wasn't so good after all.

The only thing Thorny owned up to was his golf score.
    "Don't make promises you cannot keep".
    Even third graders know this.
    Last edited by 9Jer99; 07-12-13 at 12:17 PM.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    07-12-13 11:59 AM
    I bought my Playbook [64Gig, full price] a month after they were introduced and have used it just about every day since. I _love_ the Bridge capabilities and the sheer portability of the Playbook...the fact that I have free [well, as part of my phone plan] Internet access practically everywhere I have cell service is a huge plus for me.

However....RIM/BBRY has over-promised and under-delivered on the Playbook since day one. Playbook owners have _constantly_ been waiting on pins and needles for software upgrades, promised new functionality, apps that never appeared and murky release timing [the end of summer!]. The fact that Thorsten Heins is only now telling us that BB10 was never an acceptable option for the Playbook AFTER saying it was coming FOR MONTHS and selling a whole bunch of remaining Playbook units...well, I'm not interested in anything else RIM/BBRY or Heins has to say, pretty much forever.

I'd like to see a fully-function BB10 Bridge app...in fact that's my minimum requirement to even consider staying with the Blackberry brand. Continued upgrades on the Playbook OS and core apps would be really great, but I doubt that will happen...I'll believe it when I _see it_, so don't bother dangling any hope out in front of me. I regard my Playbook now as 'walking dead'...

Funny thing is, I'd probably buy a new Playbook that's fully optimized for BB10 and Bridge-able to a BB10 phone. That's a pipe dream, however, and I know it. I've never used any smartphone system but Blackberry, but I think it's time to start looking at Android.
    FF22 and anon(4044683) like this.
    07-12-13 01:22 PM
    There will not be another Playbook version 2

Playbook 1 was only built so one can bridge it to the BB OS 6.0 to 7,1 and to help BB to survive until BB OS10 and BB 10 phones were ready

with Z+Q 10 out, there is no reason to use a PB, all the function are on the OS 10 phone now
    therefore the limited OS10 bridge to the PB
    in 12 month no-one will remember there was a bridge function

forget it, its over
    07-12-13 01:49 PM
    I wish the poll had more granularity, because none of those really match my feelings at the moment... but NO PlayBook OS update (even just PlayBook 2.2 with better Web browser and restored Bridge) and "no hope" for a trackpad-inclusive Slider = diminished loyalty. I'll be keeping a much closer eye on Android devices in the next product cycle, and my feeling now is that an Android device might win me over in the next 12 months or so. That's how I feel right now. Keeping my fingers crossed that BB won't 'disappoint' me, but being hopeful often leads to disappointment with BlackBerry lately.

If someone is going to say "eff you!" I hold out hope that at least I'll get laid... but THIS kind of "eff you" to loyal BB customers is the broom-handle kind, and no one likes that. Well, I don't.

This is very different than what happened with BB devices simply falling behind: those that had their hearts broken by RIM in 2010 / 2011 was because they saw competing platforms advancing while their beloved BB stood still... now we're being told that BB is going to "refuse" to advance in some ways, which is kind of a relief in a way, because when you don't have hope, you can't be disappointed.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-12-13 08:20 PM
    Not saying I believe it (or not), but there was this weird little story on the side-lines of the PRISM leak... Prism: GCHQ 'penetrated BlackBerry security' to spy on G20 attendees, which doesn't implicate Blackberry itself, but could possibly shed a new light on the "inpenetrabiity" of their famed security...
    thats why i trust open source. reason? you can see the code and remove that bit of code you dont like or not trust worthy. but nahhhhh binary rules for everyone, well most. so enjoy the darkness. first project was called "project carnivore" it was even before 911.
    well i dont want to go off topic. but everyone should opt open source. M$ admitted it was forced to work with NSA because PRISM rules forced them to intercept the encrypted text to be grabbed before outlook chat can send it to the user in encrypted form. now seriously WTF. and it stated you need warrant if you are an US citizen to snoop on them but if you are not in US mainland and also some other third world country like india, who has sold the country to first world countries you each and every move is recorded.
    i dont know if you know this or not. but if you are having some intimate moment with your beloved spouse, using the AT command the device can be turned on, and you could be watched, why, its done in the name of national security.
    yeah right my @ss and my foot.
    now beat me up!
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-12-13 08:22 PM
    Early adopters only please. We paid full price ($599 and higher) for the PB thus out much more hard earned cash then those that paid $150.00 for one.
    What if I paid neither? Future Shop had a little sale in October 2011, before the massive sale in November/December, and that's when I got my PlayBook. It wasn't cheap at $500, but still.

Anyway, even if it's not getting BB10, I'd rather have a PlayBook than an iPad.
    07-12-13 08:24 PM
    That is so true. I still have mine with the keyboard. If they would just work on making the playbook better I think it would restore confidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-12-13 08:30 PM
    I believe that early adopters were promised more than the playbook has now long before BB10 became a wet dream. They did bring many of tbe missing items with OS2 but not all. They also failed miserably bringing devs on board and the devs they strung along is worse than what they ever did to the PB user base.

I thank all the decent devs for their support over the past two years....you should know who you are but we can start a separate thread just to give you the recognition you deserve (not a bad idea me thinks) and know that I think of your wasted investment far ahead of my own personal loss.

Anyone who purports that we ever got our full value from their PB purchase either has no clue of the potential of the device or is a member of the attention deficit generation who beleives that the entire world is disposable after six months.

Thanks again devs
    07-12-13 08:45 PM
    i actually wish they made bb10 in the same format that the playbook has...i like the apps below, a swipe to bring the up or down.. i like the screen to be clear.. i like being able to add or take out apps from the main bar..and they minimize across the screen...
    07-12-13 09:05 PM
    If its true then its really a bad company in software development!

Seriously, you are blaming the customers and not the manufacturer? customers stayed loyal to the company by supporting the products!
    1st, you have zero clue how long it takes to build, test, scrap, build, test, modify, test, fail, repeat, etc. a mobile platform. Esp. while you're trying to build 2 decent phones to try & make a few bucks off of. (keep in mind that upgrading the PB makes no money for the company, its an added expense.. whole 'nother story)
    2nd, I'm not saying its 100% the customer's fault either, but you can't make a bad choice & start pointing fingers. Is BlackBerry a **** for making a promise they couldn't keep? Yes. I can completely agree with that, but its kinda like getting mad at loosing money b/c of insider trading. You shouldn't have spent the money based on someone's word. Just a bad consumer move.

Lastly, the OP really asked if early adopters are upset.. most of my posts have been geared towards the late adopters. I realize I'm out of order here! LOL
    07-12-13 09:49 PM
    1st, you have zero clue how long it takes to build, test, scrap, build, test, modify, test, fail, repeat, etc. a mobile platform. Esp. while you're trying to build 2 decent phones to try & make a few bucks off of. (keep in mind that upgrading the PB makes no money for the company, its an added expense.. whole 'nother story)
    2nd, I'm not saying its 100% the customer's fault either, but you can't make a bad choice & start pointing fingers. Is BlackBerry a **** for making a promise they couldn't keep? Yes. I can completely agree with that, but its kinda like getting mad at loosing money b/c of insider trading. You shouldn't have spent the money based on someone's word. Just a bad consumer move.

Lastly, the OP really asked if early adopters are upset.. most of my posts have been geared towards the late adopters. I realize I'm out of order here! LOL

First off, you should try to visit hackathlon and you will know what happens in exact 24 hours. People build complete new things in just 24 hours. This proves you don't have zero clue either.

Not just software but even hardware and that too with less than 4-5 team members. This proves you got no clue about efficiency. And its stamped and hence validated.

In 2008-2009, they (project coreboot) finished writing the bios, but was unsuccessful in winning the first prize. That takes cares of the software. If they hire boneheads who listen to the manager and have no spine on his/her own to stand up and speak for him/herself. Ends up with a half baked product like Blackberry OS ABC.XYZ.

2nd point? No comments!

thanks!
    -paul
    Cynycl and anon(4044683) like this.
    07-12-13 10:03 PM
    No I won't : but we all have a short term memory issue and will probably forget about this sadly as it sounds and buy into crackberry enthusiasm

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 10:06 PM

Your point only makes sense if you are talking about bringing BB10 to an unrelated device...like say my toaster, garage door opener of perhaps some otherwise unfamiliar device without the base qnx kernel software ...THAT THEY BUILT BB10 on. If they can't make their own devices communicate and operate with some basic form of backward compatibilty, I for one don't find the need to excuse this buy suggesting they can't make money from supporting playbooks.

They did however manage to not sell me any future devices.

I guess we are both out of order..... as least the future of my beloved gaggle of Playbooks will be in near future.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 07-12-13 at 10:24 PM.
    07-12-13 10:07 PM
    So you are okay with purchasing Z10 and Q10 at their current states? Though 10.2 is suppose to be the next update say in 3 months time. How would you feel next year, the ceo said, there's no update because it's not optimal to run 10.2. Alas, it's the stupidity of the customers that buy into the promise. What do they expect of a one year old device? These day and age technology advance too fast, we should just move on and continue to throw money at company who can't complete an unfinished product? I got an unfinished bridge to sell you. Don't worry I got the latest technology and assure you it will be build and completed soon.
    You want my honest opinion? Yes. I earnestly feel like I got out of my Z10 what I put in. I wanted to experience the new technology & I did (I also had a contingency plan if I didn't lol). But I knew what I was purchasing when I bought it. That's like getting mad b/c they promised more apps were coming. I knew there weren't a lot of apps & I know there was no way to promise more apps to come. I still bought it. I lived with my decision as a consumer to make an early purchase of a no-so-robust ecosystem.
    If the CEO told me that 10.2 would not work on my Z10 and I just have to buy another one, I can accept it. This is a topic I've discussed extensively with colleagues of mine about Android updates. Many of their phones fall into that exact category: don't get updated even though they're only a few months old (let alone 2 years!) Fact of the matter is, you buy technology because it does what you need it to do when you need it to do it. If I bought a PlayBook b/c I needed it to run BB10, but it didn't BB10, why the hell did I buy it?? Hopes and dreams?? Which is exactly what ppl did.
    And I never called anyone stupid. I said it was a rookie consumer mistake. We all make impulse purchases and live to regret them. But we are all competent enough to understand what we did wrong. No need to pout and bash and get mad at the guy who doesn't agree.
    Also, your last example about throwing money at an unfinished product... why would you buy an unfinished product??
    07-12-13 10:08 PM
    Trust me your Z10 is an unfinished product. But you won't mind, you'll happily drop another three quarters of a grand in a month or two for the newest latest and greatest.

Have fun with that
    07-12-13 10:13 PM
    Forget its over? what about the hard earnt money (full price)??? Are we trying to support a company which lied to its loyal customers and has no value for them? When Z10 is not supported after A10 are we going to say "forget its over" again?

There will not be another Playbook version 2

Playbook 1 was only built so one can bridge it to the BB OS 6.0 to 7,1 and to help BB to survive until BB OS10 and BB 10 phones were ready

with Z+Q 10 out, there is no reason to use a PB, all the function are on the OS 10 phone now
    therefore the limited OS10 bridge to the PB
    in 12 month no-one will remember there was a bridge function

forget it, its over
    07-12-13 10:15 PM
    Forget its over? what about the hard earnt money (full price)??? Are we trying to support a company which lied to its loyal customers and has no value for them? When Z10 is not supported after A10 are we going to say "forget its over" again?
    They are many among us that will do just that apparently. Like you I don't get that thought process.
    07-12-13 10:17 PM
    Did the Playbook work when released...HARDLY.
    Was the Playbook supported when released....BARELY with many promises that things would be fixed or better or whatever. And fairly a few were.
    So the excuse is from you that you should trash your device every year or so. Hummm.... what about every 1 year or maybe every 6 months. That's an arbitrary threshold and has no bearing on reality. Where is the updated Playbook hardware? If what you say is so then its only so because new hardware has taken its place. Comparing the PB's demise to a DVD player vrs a Blu-Ray player is not valid. It took new hardware for every Blu-Ray player to work with Blu-Ray discs. Where is RIMs new Playbook?
    The biggest problem I have is that Thorny made my Playbook obsolete and didn't even ask if that would be ok.
    Apple can run their OS on a device that has less memory and horse power than the play book and they still support it. Hummmm.... guess QNX wasn't so good after all.

The only thing Thorny owned up to was his golf score.
    "Don't make promises you cannot keep".
    Even third graders know this.
    (I never owned a PlayBook & have zero clue about their progress, I was an android user then, so I'll just go off what you're saying)
    If the playbook sucked then... why did you (not you, specifically, but in a general sense) buy it? Not much more I can expound upon in that area. And, no, there doesn't have to be new hardware if the end result is still the same. The PlayBook won't run BB10. If there's a new tablet or not, doesn't change the fact that BB10 doesn't work (efficiently) on the PlayBook.
    I didn't know that a company had to ask when its ok to discontinue a product. Maybe you know something I don't, but does any company do that?
    Did iOS come first or did the iPad?
    07-12-13 10:19 PM
    You want my honest opinion? Yes. I earnestly feel like I got out of my Z10 what I put in. I wanted to experience the new technology & I did (I also had a contingency plan if I didn't lol). But I knew what I was purchasing when I bought it. That's like getting mad b/c they promised more apps were coming. I knew there weren't a lot of apps & I know there was no way to promise more apps to come. I still bought it. I lived with my decision as a consumer to make an early purchase of a no-so-robust ecosystem.
    If the CEO told me that 10.2 would not work on my Z10 and I just have to buy another one, I can accept it. This is a topic I've discussed extensively with colleagues of mine about Android updates. Many of their phones fall into that exact category: don't get updated even though they're only a few months old (let alone 2 years!) Fact of the matter is, you buy technology because it does what you need it to do when you need it to do it. If I bought a PlayBook b/c I needed it to run BB10, but it didn't BB10, why the hell did I buy it?? Hopes and dreams?? Which is exactly what ppl did.
    And I never called anyone stupid. I said it was a rookie consumer mistake. We all make impulse purchases and live to regret them. But we are all competent enough to understand what we did wrong. No need to pout and bash and get mad at the guy who doesn't agree.
    Also, your last example about throwing money at an unfinished product... why would you buy an unfinished product??
    After reading your posts all i can say just one line.
    You want a lolly pop from blackberry. Then congratulations via Z10 you got it. Now enjoy it.
    99% out here are not happy with the candy balls we got/get plus the lies of more candy pills.
    If I argue with you for 10 minutes longer, either I will turn homicidal or suicidal. You can pick either of the two. We heard you now thank you very much! If we like to hear from you once again we will send you a private message. Enjoy playing some games on your Z10, while we LOOSERS crib and bang our head here. Thank you very much but no thanks, yet thanks anyway.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-12-13 10:21 PM
    Yes and no. I will get phones but no tablets or anything of the sort. They have proven that all the phones still get support but not other devices. If I even get another tablet it will probably be a Ipad.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 10:23 PM
    I already did and I will again, yes they lied from the very beginning about the PlayBooks and updates, but they still make the best products for my needs.

With the recent news that BB will not bring BB10 to the PB or any indication of an OS update for it, will you ever purchase an item with the Blackberry name on it?

Early adopters only please. We paid full price ($599 and higher) for the PB thus out much more hard earned cash then those that paid $150.00 for one.
    richardat likes this.
    07-12-13 10:24 PM
    No I won't : but we all have a short term memory issue and will probably forget about this sadly as it sounds and buy into crackberry enthusiasm
    No, I don't forget. Dell did me wrong, once, a long time ago. I don't forget. I like Dell, but I don't forget. Dell also did really really RIGHT by me once... I mentioned offhand in a forum that my 2 year old $900 24" monitor was acting up and a rep PHONED ME and told me that it has a 3 year warranty and they were going to replace it for me! I wasn't very negative on the forum... I just mentioned that I had the Dell monitor go flaky on me... and they took VERY good care of me and more than made up for the problem I had with them in '97.

I won't be forgetting about the PlayBook OS issue: it's a taint on BlackBerry's reputation. What will they do, like Dell did, to overcompensate? We'll see... but now it's a trust issue: I'm not listening to words anymore: only actions matter. Your move, BlackBerry.
    07-12-13 10:26 PM
    (I never owned a PlayBook & have zero clue about their progress, I was an android user then, so I'll just go off what you're saying)
    If the playbook sucked then... why did you (not you, specifically, but in a general sense) buy it? Not much more I can expound upon in that area. And, no, there doesn't have to be new hardware if the end result is still the same. The PlayBook won't run BB10. If there's a new tablet or not, doesn't change the fact that BB10 doesn't work (efficiently) on the PlayBook.
    I didn't know that a company had to ask when its ok to discontinue a product. Maybe you know something I don't, but does any company do that?
    Did iOS come first or did the iPad?
    If you don't have a playbook then you don't have any cause to be posting in a playbook forum. You sir are what many would call a TROLL
    07-12-13 10:27 PM
    Your point only makes sense if you are talking about bringing BB10 to an unrelated device...like say my toaster, garage door opener of perhaps some otherwise unfamiliar device without the base qnx kernel software ...THAT THEY BUILT BB10 on. If they can't make their own devices communicate and operate with some basic form of backward compatibilty, I for one don't find the need to excuse this buy suggesting they can't make money from supporting playbooks.

They did however manage to not sell me any future devices.

I guess we are both out of order..... as least the future of my beloved gaggle of Playbooks will be in near future.
    He wanted attention he got it.
    Now he can play with his Z10 or whatever.
    Can we continue with our crib and frustration leaving him aside.
    You think they have the stamina to do so, a garage or toaster.
    Netbsd did install on a toaster. Give us time we will hack moon and he will still continue to adore his Z10. 2 years and they cant do jack and they will hack toaster.
    Sweet heart are you day dreaming? ;-)
    Over simplified typical fanboy, he is, thats it, and he certainly did get our attention.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-12-13 10:28 PM

First off, you should try to visit hackathlon and you will know what happens in exact 24 hours. People build complete new things in just 24 hours. This proves you don't have zero clue either.

Not just software but even hardware and that too with less than 4-5 team members. This proves you got no clue about efficiency. And its stamped and hence validated.

In 2008-2009, they (project coreboot) finished writing the bios, but was unsuccessful in winning the first prize. That takes cares of the software. If they hire boneheads who listen to the manager and have no spine on his/her own to stand up and speak for him/herself. Ends up with a half baked product like Blackberry OS ABC.XYZ.

2nd point? No comments!

thanks!
    -paul
    Wow, you are really an unhappy camper, arent you? Sure a small team of ppl at a hack-a-thon can build something (and something quite nice at that! hat's off to em!) But I'm more than positive, if it was to be adopted for a full-scale development, a lot more time will go into testing, and development.
    You're right, I don't know how much time is dedicated to building software. But I have a grasp on reality and know that it does take time to do the right way. I do know about efficiency, you're just not a very realistic person. Oh well. You'll live.

You're welcome!
    07-12-13 10:33 PM
260 ... 34567 ...