Quick question guys, I know that Blackberry phones "compress" that data that is used which means that I hardly seem to use any of my data allowance despite all the emails, BBM and browsing that I do with my Bold, something like 100MB a month.

Does the Playbook when bridged do the same thing?
    fair enough for anything large I'm downloading I'd do it at home on my Wifi or using my Wifi Hotspot Modem but I wondered if its going to eat huge amounts of data from my phone contract data allowance if I'm just doing some light browsing.
    10-18-11 06:41 AM
    Chris, being 'bridged' means that your phone is being treated as the user of the data - your playbook is the recipient of the data, but it is being transmitted as if your phone had requested or sent the data.

Make sense?
    10-18-11 06:55 AM
    Just think of the Playbook as being merely "keyboard/display" for your bridged phone, and it's the phone that is still doing all the work.

Stripped of the techno-babble, that model works and explains why the same data plan can be used and why networks can't tell the PB is being used.

If you keep within your allowance now, using the PB won't cause you to bust it. Though you might find yourself using more simply because it's "nicer" to browse on a bigger screen... so you'll look at more pages!
    10-18-11 07:05 AM
    One thing I think happens, is that for instance, when you view an e-mail attachment on the phone, you only download a small quantity of data, but if you need to zoom the file for easier reading, there is another small download.

What I've noticed when viewing the file on the PB, is that I think it downloads the full file. Though I'm not sure if this happens. Maybe someone can help with this.
    10-18-11 07:12 AM
    I have 6 gigs of data allowance, courtesy of Rogers. I do a moderate amount of browsing, Youtube watching, Vevo watching along with email and newsreading. So far I haven't come close to using 500 megabytes.

If your carrier makes the info available, try to keep track of your data usage...but unless you do a _lot_ of activity via your Bridged Playbook, I would guess you'll do just fine.
    10-18-11 07:27 AM
    ok...first hand experience guys...when you browse using your bridge, most sites treat you as a desktop and you get all the bells and whistles thanx to the awesome browser on the PB.

my first month using the PB bridged, i used up my 1.5GB monthly data cap in 3weeks. desktop version facebook, twitter, youtube and crackberry videos and lots of mp4 and mp3 downloads did me in. second month it was over in 2 weeks.

now my data cap has been ramped to 3GB and my PB is helping me crunch it all up

like you said, using your bb barely scratches your data cap and you dont get to roll over the unused part for future use, i'm happy my PB does justice to it and i dont feel cheated by my network provider anymore
    10-18-11 07:31 AM
    Thanks guys, I only have a 500MB allowance on my BB contract from Vodafone UK although I think I can up this to 750MB or 1GB if I wanted to (at extra cost), I haven't ordered a PB yet (waiting to see what tonights Keynote brings) but the Bridge functionality with email and BBM really makes me want this more than any other tablet.
    10-18-11 07:32 AM
    the bridge is quite a unique feature and even when native email et al debuts on the PB, i think i will pretty much still continue to use my PB bridged to my BB

i will hate to have to pay two BIS plan every month and the bridge makes sure i get even more value for the one i currently pay
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-18-11 07:54 AM
    Quick query, if I have my Playbook Bridged to my Bold but also connected to my Wifi network will it use the wifi network to download data?

Its just that I've noticed my PB is using a lot of data on my Bold's data plan during times that its connected to both the Bold and Wifi.

In addition I have the PressReader app which automatically downloads a number of newspapers in the morning (Around 8MB worth) however this is appearing on my data bill when the PB again is also attached to a wifi network
    11-06-11 07:54 AM
    Quick query, if I have my Playbook Bridged to my Bold but also connected to my Wifi network will it use the wifi network to download data?

Its just that I've noticed my PB is using a lot of data on my Bold's data plan during times that its connected to both the Bold and Wifi.

In addition I have the PressReader app which automatically downloads a number of newspapers in the morning (Around 8MB worth) however this is appearing on my data bill when the PB again is also attached to a wifi network
    Yes if you are connected to wifi it uses that instead of your data plan except for things that use your data plan like if you're bb is using wifi.
    11-06-11 09:31 AM
    greetings to all

i use BB 9780 with BES from my company and i recently bought a PB.

When bridged to 9780 the bridge browser does not responding to any page while the native browser works gr8.
    The thing that i am curious about is that yesterday i surfed for about 20 minutes and when checked my data usage i realized that i had downloaded 80MB (only pagesno youtube videos).

so the big question is:
    does the bridge browser indeed compress data like the phone while the native browser doesn't ????
    because if so, when bridged to the phone we should never open the native browser an only the bridged browser....

For my BB9780 and for all those who are in BES environment we face problems with bridged browser while BIS users work gr8 regarding their post here in crackberry...

thank you in advance
    12-07-11 02:39 AM
    I have realized that youtube eats data through bridge lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-11 11:36 AM
    Ok so my carrier says that they will charge me $6/MB when I thether my PB to my torch. My question is, will I get charged if I Bridge? Unless I go over my data usage of course. Sorry for the newb question but its been bugging me for a while now. Thanks in advance.
    12-29-11 02:33 PM
    Ok so my carrier says that they will charge me $6/MB when I thether my PB to my torch. My question is, will I get charged if I Bridge? Unless I go over my data usage of course. Sorry for the newb question but its been bugging me for a while now. Thanks in advance.
    The only one I know of that charges for browsing while using bridge is ATT. There is a bridge app for people on there to download OTA so ATT is none the wiser as long as you don't go data hog crazy.
    12-29-11 02:36 PM
    You don't get charged anything extra with bridge. The carrier will see it as phone use.
    12-29-11 02:37 PM
    Alright thanks guys for putting my mind at ease!
    12-31-11 01:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD