Hey Guys
    Just wondering if anyone has taken there PB to Cuba? My question is will the charger work over there? I looked at the fine print on the charger and it says "input: 100-240v - 300mA 50-60Hz ???
    My guessing is it should work.
    thx Keith
    01-19-12 10:31 PM
    as longer u convert the power source. there shouldn't be a problem.
    i travel a lot and always make sure to have the right converters.
    01-19-12 10:43 PM
    You shouldn't have an issue. The adapter covers just about all combinations of power any country would provide.

Cheers.
    01-19-12 10:45 PM
    In Cuba it depends on the hotel as some are Spanish/French built and you will need a plug adapter for your charger. My bb cell charger worked fine. Since then I been to Costa Rica with pb video catted to family back home. enjoy your trip.
    01-19-12 10:46 PM
    Be careful with the choice of words. Converters and adapters have different purposes. You don't wanna fry the Playbook or anything else, for that matter.

Read up on this.
    01-19-12 10:56 PM
    Hey Guys
    Just wondering if anyone has taken there PB to Cuba? My question is will the charger work over there? I looked at the fine print on the charger and it says "input: 100-240v - 300mA 50-60Hz ???
    My guessing is it should work.
    thx Keith
    Every hotel I have stayed at for the past 5 trips to Cuba have had a combo electrical plug. This plug accepts the standard Cuban cord end as well as the standard North American cord. However not always did these combo plugs supply our standard 120v 60hz voltage. If your adapter specifically states it does 100-240v it will physically fit into these combo plugs and electrically work in all of them. Plug a North American gizmo that only accepts 120v into a Cuban 240v line and ... Snap ... Crackle ... Pop ...

I have always taken my BlackBerry with me to Cuba and never had a problem. This April will be my first trip with a Playbook.

Quick note though, never use the word GPS at Cuban Customs as it is against the law for a tourist to have either a GPS device or a "Walkie Talkie". Depending on the English proficiency of the Customs officer you run into it might get taken away. I was in line and the guy in front of me had his Nike running gizmo seized when he told them it was a GPS for taking his jogging.

Also note that there is VERY limited access to Internet and I have yet to find WiFi there. Preloaded your Playbook with goodies.
    01-20-12 07:30 AM
    thanks everyone. ya thats the plan, loading it up for the plane. no wifi where were going, just a couple computers it front lobby where you can buy internet time

thx keith
    01-20-12 08:10 AM
    My 2 cents....I am going in a month and fully intend on bringing mine.

As Ubermanx said, most hotels now have an outlet that runs multiple voltages and has both types of plugs. Almost any charger will work there with out a converter as long it says on it 100-240v. This includes BB chargers, camera and battery chargers. This outlet may only be in the bathroom and may only work if the light is on or if the room key is stuck in the lightswicth thingy by the door (to prevent lights on if you are not there).

Beware though, as in many areas in the world, brown outs and surges can be common.

As far as GPS, we have bought a Garmin running watch and have never had an issue. What they are really trying to keep out is handheld units. BB's, iPhones and other phones with GPS are very common among tourists there and they are allowed.

This all being said, I am not going to be held responsible if something does go wrong. And keep it safe by not leaving it out, unattended in your room or pool/beachside (Don't forget that tourists can be theifs too!)
    01-20-12 08:27 AM
    you wont have much access to wifi, maybe the hotel will have it, but the internet is extremely limited in Cuba, and its illegal for most people to have it.
    01-20-12 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD