I use my RIM Charging Stand almost exclusively with my PB at night, together with
    the app Antair Nightstand to provide a clock. Occasionally, I wake up and my baby
    is almost completely discharged. In these cases, I immediately switch to the stock
    charger that came with my PB. This AM was no exception and I even got a tone
    alert - app or QNX ? What, what, what ?

Others have repeatedly reported similar, but often it is difficult to pin down the
    charger that is being reported on.

Enclosed is a pic I took with my charged-up PB, but BEFORE cleaning it with compressed
    air, Precision Electronics Cleaner from Radio Shack, and a tiny screw driver. The arrows
    point to the three male connectors of the RIM Charging Stand. Clearly the left one
    with the red arrow had failed and the other with the yellow arrow was about to fail.
    After this cleaning, the RIM Stand Charger worked fine. The left-most pin (red) is better,
    but remains problematic. Duh, what to do ??? Doc Neutron
    06-03-12 09:38 PM
    Yes, this has been a problem that has been well documented in several post since May 2011. I decided to purchase BatteryGuru, it tells you if the PlayBook is charging or not while in the Rapid Charging Dock. Nothing like waking up to a discharged PlayBook
    06-03-12 09:46 PM
    I have the NON-dock version - 2 actually and both have a low pin as shown. It has to be fully seated or I will get a Lightning Bolt but it will not charge. I, too, use Battery Guru to detect when it actually increases in power and know contact is good. I guess my composite came out a bit too small.
    Last edited by F2; 06-03-12 at 10:14 PM.
    06-03-12 10:01 PM
    people have reported this but i havent had the problem... maybe it is the way i use it.

I put it on the dock, press down and then try to move it off... if it doesnt move i know it is in right. if it does move i fix it.
    06-03-12 10:14 PM
    I have 2 docks and the middle pin of the 3 on the dock does not spring back to proper height, so it never makes contact with pb pins. Any good tricks to fix?
    06-03-12 10:53 PM
    If two of the three pins make contact, you get what I call the FALSE Lightning Bolt (or word "Cradle") but it may not be actually charging. That's why I watch for a bit to see if Battery Guru actually shows the battery percentage increases or you see a spike upward in the graph.

This is also why I have two of them. I called rim regarding the false bolt and the low pin. They sent me a second one - but it also had the low pin and was just as effective or in-effective. Just make sure that a good contact occurs. And as noted, the DOCKS show the same low pin issue. Battery Guru Peter actually operated on his. There's a thread somewhere.
    06-03-12 10:58 PM
    oh wow, good thing this thread came up or I would have thought I was going crazy. This has happened to me a few times as well.

I still have all the stock clear protectors on it, perhaps taking them off will help
    06-04-12 12:18 AM
    I've been using my dock quite a bit since September with no problems but one at work did. I used some electrical contact cleaner on a special lint free Qtip and saturated the pins, blew dry and then lubricated with an electrical lube we use on aircraft avionics and switches. Worked great. The pin was sticking. No problems since. I have since done it to my personal PB as a preventative measure.

I don't know if the cause is the same but it may be worth trying.
    UKCatFan3 likes this.
    06-04-12 12:22 AM
    Thanks for tips, going to try to resurrect mine. Just got guru app also.
    06-04-12 12:39 AM
    You can also do as I do....after plugging in, I merely check the % amount after a few minutes to make sure it's charging. I've done this every night since I got a "lightning bolt" when I plugged it in, but was greeted in the morning with a 10% charged PB - ha! On my pod, it's the far left pin when facing the unit (the red one in your diagram) that needs attention once in a while.
    06-04-12 07:35 PM
    If two of the three pins make contact, you get what I call the FALSE Lightning Bolt (or word "Cradle") but it may not be actually charging. That's why I watch for a bit to see if Battery Guru actually shows the battery percentage increases or you see a spike upward in the graph.

This is also why I have two of them. I called rim regarding the false bolt and the low pin. They sent me a second one - but it also had the low pin and was just as effective or in-effective. Just make sure that a good contact occurs. And as noted, the DOCKS show the same low pin issue. Battery Guru Peter actually operated on his. There's a thread somewhere.
    I do the exact same thing. I check Battery Guru every day when I'm charging overnight on the stand to make sure it's really charging...
    06-04-12 07:39 PM
    Wow what a ripoff.. I also bought the battery guru, I am always looking at the power sometimes I manage to get a 9.xx watts down to 5.xx watts while charging on cradle. Am I looking at the right numbers? I'm not really knowledgeable about batteries. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by velociraptor89; 06-04-12 at 11:39 PM.
    06-04-12 11:37 PM
    I just look at the Battery: xx% value and see if it increases within a minute or so. I also look at the slope of the graph and see if it takes a turn in the upward direction.

I actually don't generally look at the Charge: xx.x W(atts) value when trying to see if it is charging.

My guess is that the manufacturing tolerances of the spring-loaded pins are not terrific. The LOW pins on both of mine do seem to have some springiness but they are probably set too low in their channel so contact may not good unless I'm somewhat careful. But, generally, I can attach it without any problems just allowing the magnet to home it in.

The related problem is that rim does NOT warranty these add-ons. So they need to be returned to the store in the appropriate period or you are on your own (unless they've changed that policy)
    velociraptor89 likes this.
    06-05-12 12:52 AM
    Thanks mate F2, I guess I should stop looking on those watts again. Lol. I am also having that one pin lower than the two. My friend bought it at Best Buys in TX, and am living in the Mid-East and have no power to return it. I guess its just me and Battery Guru to sort this thing out.

And btw Thanks peter for such a great tool wondering if there is also an app like this to check the battery health for laptops? Thanks!
    06-05-12 01:14 AM
    I did an RMA on my PlayBook for this very reason. They sent me a brand new one. It had been almost a full year since I had gotten my PlayBook, but the RIM customer service person told me they had extended the warranty on PlayBooks "indefinitely."

Got my brand new PlayBook a few days later and it charges flawlessly on my charging pod.
    06-05-12 02:44 AM
    I run into this problem from time to time, especially when using Antair Nightstand and the cradle charger. Sometimes it helps to unplug/re-seat the charger's power cord since on at least one occasion the PB would not charge in the cradle no matter how carefully I positioned it (charging bolt indicator was on the whole time). It's almost as if the cradle itself had somehow "hung" internally and was still showing a charge to the PB while not actually delivering it.

Frankly, it scared the crap out of me since I though my PB had died. But a few hours on the stock USB/wall charger brought it back, and I've since been much more careful when using the dock. I also have the non-cradle rapid charger and have had much better success/fewer reliability issues with that unit.

RCK
    06-05-12 06:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD