A while ago Kevin (whom should consider trimming his hair after the recent delay, and hit the gym hard to be in good shape for BBX release) posted on Android Central telling folks to order the PB charger. Because it is large in charge and charges faster and doesn't damage your phone. But what I have noticed is, when used on your phone the battery also drains faster. Why is that? Anyone have science or code logic to back this finding up?
    07-13-12 11:54 AM
    Same here with mine. I don't know the technicals but it does remind me of model cars I had as a kid. We use to rapid charge for half hour, it seemed an all night charge would improve the batterys discharge.

Watching.
    07-13-12 12:12 PM
    I haven't noticed any difference in discharge rate. I also haven't paid much attention either. I often stream music with PB bridged to 9900 at work and get just about 6 hours straight. Tonight I'll use the USB charger and see if I can extend the time a bit.

Here is a good site if you care to learn more about batteries.
    Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
    07-13-12 01:14 PM
    From what I can gather; it is best to charge slow and while off

A quick charge is like spraying your lawn over, yes you put the proper amount of water on the lawn. But you did it so fast the water didn't have time to get saturated and soaked up by the grass. A quick charge isn't deep in the battery, so it "evaporates" faster

Hmm. Life is interesting
    07-13-12 01:25 PM
    Where's Peter, Battery Guru, when you need him? He's been absent of late but this type of discussion could use his expertise.
    07-13-12 03:14 PM
    After a few months of charging my Torch with the PB charger I had to replace the battery because it would drain during the day. It would also get very warm. Now I only charge the phone with the smaller plug in charger and my battery life is fine.
    07-13-12 03:16 PM
    I used a PB chargers on a 9700 and a 9800 for a year with no ill effects. I have been using it on 2 9900's for the past couple months.
    Remember RIM sells the PB charger as "premium" charger for modern BB phones. The phone can monitor and adjust charge rate to keep it at safe levels.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-13-12 03:56 PM
    I know that's what they claim, but I never had battery issues until I started using the PB charger. I suppose it could have just been that one battery, since I no longer use the PB charger with the current one.
    07-14-12 09:22 AM
    I've been using the PlayBook charger on my BlackBerry phones since May 2011 with NO noticeable difference in battery discharge rate either with my 9650 or 9930. This was a topic back in July 2011 and RIM confirmed that the PlayBook charger does not effect the battery charge or discharge rate
    07-14-12 09:35 AM
    I've noticed that background aps such as map programs and The Weather Channel can drain your phone battery without you being aware that they are still working even though you have not pulled them up. I make sure to go into these types of aps and exit rather than just closing the screen in order to reduce their ambient drains on my battery. Others might also be broadcasting and receiving without your knowlege. Getting an app that monitors what apps are running would be advantageous.
    Cracklen likes this.
    07-16-12 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD