I am planning to get a pb ,but I have concerns regarding the same
    The first being the pb os-will it support android and its apps,cause I am in a mood for good apps(mostlt free).
    Secondly-to what extent is android integrated to the system.
    Thirdly-can I install apps by simply downloading it from a third party site(i.e the android apps)
    Fourthly-how long is it before bb ditches me again(I bought a curve 3g recently I.e one month before the bb7 devices were out),so is RIM planning another pb soon?
    And finally any other reasons I should buy it?for rooting aint as easy as jailbreaking!
    12-28-11 12:39 AM
    The first being the pb os-will it support android and its apps,cause I am in a mood for good apps(mostlt free).
    Thirdly-can I install apps by simply downloading it from a third party site(i.e the android apps)
    Fourthly-how long is it before bb ditches me again(I bought a curve 3g recently I.e one month before the bb7 devices were out),so is RIM planning another pb soon?
    And finally any other reasons I should buy it?for rooting aint as easy as jailbreaking!
    1) android player in its current form is buggy and although it supports a good number of android apps, a big chunk also do NOT work. notably big names like skype, netflix, etc etc apps don't work at all. if you need facebook for android and such, those do work.

2) android isn't integrated into the playbook at all. its a separate emulator. you do get notifications from android apps though which is good.

3) well you can't really install apk's directly (there are sort of ways to do this but convoluted). you have to convert apks to bar files which requires installing the android sdk, getting your own keys to sign with, and some other stuff while running a bunch of batch files. theres a tutorial in the forum for this if you want to try it out.

theres also a bunch of bar files people have already converted and graciously shared. just look in the proper forum area.

4) who knows. i haven't had a blackberry in years now. iphone 4s all the way
    12-28-11 12:45 AM
    yup, if playing with functional android apps is what you're after, the PB is DEFINITELY not what you want. But now you have the burden of deciding which Android tab to purchase which will cost much more than the Playbook with similar hardware features. Good luck with that one
    12-28-11 12:51 AM
    I recommend researching the threads. Based on your questions, you're asking for a lot of speculation also. Doesn't sound like the PB is for you. If Android apps are your main concern, get an Android tab. Good luck.
    12-28-11 12:54 AM
    Q1-3: Android Apps: If all you want are Android apps, wait until February when OS2 comes out with Android app capability. Then you can see if it is what you want. (If you had wanted tablet access to the same email accounts that you see on your BB, plus access to the web thru your BB - all without another mobile account cost, then the Playbook would have been an immediate plus for you.)

Q4: "Ditched": If you think ditching is a company issuing a new product, then I suggest you check Crackberry before you buy. Crackberry readers always know at least 3-6 months before any new models are coming out, and are better able to decide whether to buy the existing or next generation. (I say "better" instead of always because buying technology products is a current or next generation decision - continually).

Q5: Other reasons: see Q1-3 above
    12-28-11 12:56 AM
    The Playbook runs the QNX operating system, not Android. QNX is well suited to a small tablet but does not at present have nearly as many apps as are available for Android. In February, OS2 of QNX is due out, which will incorporate an Android Player, essentially an Android interpreter, that will allow a lot of Android programs to run on the Playbook, once they are repackaged and offered through the Playbook market. A beta version of OS2 is out now and is quite stable (I am using it).

Bottom line, if you want an Android tablet, it's not the Playbook, although the Playbook will be able to run some but not all Android programs. Also, because of doubts that RIM will follow through on supporting the Playbook in the future, you should try the Playbook out in stores and make sure that it works for you as it presently is.
    12-28-11 01:01 AM
    Reasons (I thought of)-for getting a pb.
    Bb bridge-i don't have to pay extra for getting a new connection and I am connected on the go
    Its form factor-not to bulky
    Discounted price
    Responsive screen
    Android player(hopefully working soon)
    No good android tablet @ the same price.
    12-28-11 01:35 AM
    i cant say to buy it, all i can say is mine is awesome
    12-28-11 01:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD