This is true. I build machines for friends and family and the newer OSs work great. I just don't see any upside in converting my own system just yet. In every case where I installed Win 8, I was asked to minimize the impact of the ugly and unfamiliar new UI. I am hoping M$'s next offering will give us some choices and when I take the leap, I won't need to hold my nose..
    OMG just click on the setting that changes the UI back to the familiar windows views. It's in 'settings' strangely enough and it's been there since XP!
    04-14-13 10:37 AM
    Yep. I was just clicking on desktop after a boot and staying there but I got start is back so I don't even ever see anymore.
    STOP clicking on things you don't understand you thespian shape changer you! Even though you have the same avatar I still recognise you! No fooling me eh?
    04-14-13 10:38 AM
    The DANGER is running a company where the original QNX product gets the NEW full OS last, the traffic has no speed limit and no police are securing the highway and lastly the bridge fell down and although the landing on water feet first was Microsoft after abandoning your old vehicles everyone is drowning until the Gates are closed on the dam!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-14-13 11:04 AM
    While this long winded theory is interesting I have a more concise explanation.
    Blackberry, as a whole, has Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).

"Let's have the ability to Bridge the Playbook with hand held devices."
    "Good idea."
    "Hey, let's release new hand held devices with a new OS."
    "Excellent idea!"
    "Hmmm, that Bridge thingy doesn't work right any more."
    "Squirrel!"

PB bridge to bb10 problem (my theory on the cause)-dog-squirel-3.jpg
    sad_old_man, FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    04-14-13 11:27 AM
    OMG just click on the setting that changes the UI back to the familiar windows views. It's in 'settings' strangely enough and it's been there since XP!
    OMG, you are so smart! Sometimes I think that your goal is to insult me rater that have an intelligent discussion. The Win 8 desktop does look superficially similar to previous versions, But exactly which button do I push in Win8 settings to get the task bar, start menu, notifications and other Ui elements on the desktop to work like they do in Win 7? Heck, I had to read the documentation twice just to figure out how to shut the machine off or to restart it. The new UI is clearly more suitable to an always-on tablet form factor. Changing the default UI back to some semblance of familiar function takes some research and know-how. Finding and opening the control panel is not intuitive let alone locating the one magical setting that you are alluding to. Now I am not saying that Win8 is a flop - it does have a lot of improvements and it grows on you with time. But the transition is not as easy for novice users as it could be.
    04-14-13 11:31 AM
    Here is a take on your comment that brings it back to the topic of your OP. Let's me get this straight: You blame Thor for removing functionality from a new platform because it is a step backwards in terms of usability and user experience. But you reject my own feelings that M$'s attempt to apply a mobile UI to a desktop environment is an affront to common sense and a step backward in terms of usability and user experience. In either situation I am forced to workaround arbitrary design decisions and I should not be forced into that situation. Do you agree or not?
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 04-14-13 at 01:54 PM.
    04-14-13 12:12 PM
    While this long winded theory is interesting I have a more concise explanation.
    Blackberry, as a whole, has Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).

"Let's have the ability to Bridge the Playbook with hand held devices."
    "Good idea."
    "Hey, let's release new hand held devices with a new OS."
    "Excellent idea!"
    "Hmmm, that Bridge thingy doesn't work right any more."
    "Squirrel!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog+squirel+3.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	151150
    While I'm still laughing at the two post below you I take it from the photo that your not a massive fan of squirrels then eh you crazy dog you. You need to eat more fibre in your diet and give the red meat a rest! Oh and leave the rum alone or better still donate it to my special unwanted, unloved, abandoned alcohol charity. I could find it a good home no problem.
    04-14-13 12:23 PM
    If you were to take a cursory look at my back yard you would find that fibre is not a problem with my diet.
    04-14-13 01:04 PM
    OMG, you are so smart! Sometimes I think that your goal is to insult me rater that have an intelligent discussion. The Win 8 desktop does look superficially similar to previous versions, But exactly which button do I push in Win8 settings to get the task bar, start menu, notifications and other Ui elements on the desktop to work like they do in Win 7? Heck, I had to read the documentation twice just to figure out how to shut the machine off or to restart it. The new UI is clearly more suitable to an always-on tablet form factor. Changing the default UI back to some semblance of familiar function takes some research and know-how. Finding and opening the control panel is not intuitive let alone locating the one magical setting that you are alluding to. Now I am not saying that Win8 is a flop - it does have a lot of improvements and it grows on you with time. But the transition is not as easy for novice users as it could be.
    Contrary to the advice given there is no magic button in Windows 8 that gives you the usability of Windows 7. The Start menu does not exist unless you use a third party addon. Being a Blackberry user you are used to workarounds so this should be familiar to you.
    I gave up when looking for the Shutdown command. Just push the power button.
    Windows 8 is a failure when compared to Windows 7. People actually bought Windows 7 on purpose. I would hazard a guess that 50% of Windows 8 sales are forced sales through vendors like Dell and HP that give customers no choice of OS.
    BuzzStarField and sad_old_man like this.
    04-14-13 01:14 PM
    Contrary to the advice given there is no magic button in Windows 8 that gives you the usability of Windows 7. The Start menu does not exist unless you use a third party addon. Being a Blackberry user you are used to workarounds so this should be familiar to you.
    I gave up when looking for the Shutdown command. Just push the power button.
    Windows 8 is a failure when compared to Windows 7. People actually bought Windows 7 on purpose. I would hazard a guess that 50% of Windows 8 sales are forced sales through vendors like Dell and HP that give customers no choice of OS.
    God dammit dog your smart! Does bridge work on windows 8?
    04-14-13 01:23 PM
    Here is a take on your comment that brings it back to the topic of your OP. Let's me get this straight: You blame Thor for removeing functionality from a new platform because it is a step backwards in terms of usability and user experience.
    There's nothing new in that - although perhaps it should be ominous for BlackBerry.

Nokia pulled the very same trick with Symbian Belle, after Anna, and maps versions after 3.06 on Symbian. A significant reason why one of my Nokia N8s will forever remain on "golden" versions, and my 2nd N8 with Belle and maps 3.09 hardly ever gets used.

I wonder whether Nokia's rhetoric on the subject is in any way similar?

I think the situation with Microsoft is somewhat different - in this, and this alone - Microsoft have always had the weight, power and impetus to effectively tell their user audience how they will use their software. Very much in the main, they've managed to pull off that very trick. I get where they seem to want to go, and I don't doubt they can effectively shove it down peoples' throats. Still, in recent times, they seem to have misplaced their mojo on occasion - Vista was he that will not be spoken of, largely, and people did tend to go XP -> 7.

The thing with bridge - and let's be clear - it's far from a huge USP of their products, is mobile device vendors have form for this sort of thing - is it by design / plan as Nokia tried to imply, or simply focus in resources - truth be told, I always go with never ascribe to malice what could be explained as incompetence. I remain unconvinced it's part of a master plan or strategy, and more leaning towards something they don't believe is that important for their cost / reward equations to worry themselves with - just like Nokia, then.
    04-14-13 01:24 PM
    While I do not like the modern side of win8 it didn't take me long to figure out how to do what was needed and believe me I tried to use and like it. I bought start is back and now it's just like the windows of old.

My mom also was using the modern side for awhile but I also put start is back on hers.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-14-13 01:25 PM
    While I do not like the modern side of win8 it didn't take me long to figure out how to do what was needed and believe me I tried to use and like it. I bought start is back and now it's just like the windows of old.

My mom also was using the modern side for awhile but I also put start is back on hers.
    I like your mom already. Does she like brandy and pasties?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-14-13 01:36 PM

Why didn't you use the setting that sad_old_man found? Apparently I have been wasting my time making the changes that you reference and downloading add-on to mimic the Start menu functions..Even after making all the changes, I am not able to entirely escape the Modern-style start screen. I love to download and try out new toys so I am always installing (and uninstalling) applications and most of them drop an icon on the new screen rather than on the desktop view. It's a pain pinning apps to the task bar (a brand new concept) or creating desktop shortcuts. I really want to find that magic button! Sad_old_man - please help!!!!!!
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 04-14-13 at 01:56 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-14-13 01:40 PM
    God dammit dog your smart! Does bridge work on windows 8?
    Please use the contraction "you're" when it is appropriate to to so, you lazy_sad__old_man. You're destroying the Queen's English and setting a very bad example for the youth of your great nation. (and mine too).
    04-14-13 01:48 PM
    I like your mom already. Does she like brandy and pasties?
    Yes she does
    04-14-13 01:54 PM
    Please use the contraction "you're" when it is appropriate to to so, you lazy_sad__old_man. You're destroying the Queen's English and setting a very bad example for the youth of your great nation. (and mine too).
    "when it is appropriate to to so". Enough said about your use of the English language I think!
    04-14-13 01:55 PM
    Why didn't you use the setting that sad_old_man found? Apparently I have been wasting my time making the changes that you reference and downloading add-on to mimic the Start menu functions..Evenafter making all the changes, I am not able to entirely escape the Modern-style start screen. I love to download and try out new toys so I am always installing (and uninstalling) applications and most of them drop an icon on the new screen rather than on the desktop view. It's a pain pinning apps to the task bar (a brand new concept) or creating desktop shortcuts. I really want to find that magic button! Sad_old_man - please help!!!!!!
    Yes I wish he would give a detailed post on how to do it with screen shots.
    04-14-13 01:55 PM
    "when it is appropriate to to so". Enough said about your use of the English language I think!
    You're right! I made a typo. Now if I made a habit of making this exact same mistake, then you would be on to something! By the way, don't you mean "you're use of the English language"?
    04-14-13 02:01 PM
    Disbelieve until you see!
    Attached Thumbnails PB bridge to bb10 problem (my theory on the cause)-3374620-11319933-thumbnail.jpg  
    04-14-13 02:06 PM
    Disbelieve until you see!
    I'll be able to see that button when I believe in it. Please make me believe!
    04-14-13 02:14 PM
    I've tried to educate him on this. He can't be taught.
    Further evidence of this would be his buying a second Z10 after being so disappointed in the first one.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-14-13 02:15 PM
    I've tried to educate him on this. He can't be taught.
    Further evidence of this would be his buying a second Z10 after being so disappointed in the first one.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein
    On the contrary, I think that he can be taught. The problem is, he doesn't seem to be able to learn.
    04-14-13 02:22 PM
    On the contrary, I think that he can be taught. The problem is, he doesn't seem to be able to learn.
    Oh so many have tried and oh so many have failed!
    04-15-13 06:29 AM
    Oh so many have tried and oh so many have failed!
    Are you saying that I have failed to learn you well grammar? And on a completely unrelated matter, I can't find the button that allows me to cancel the "like" that you deposited on my previous post. I am offended by your "like" and wish to remove it. Please post another diagram.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-15-13 07:25 AM
121 ... 2345