Just being a simple sort of person I struggle with the concept of any manufacturer that "enhances" an existing product by disabling, temporarily or not part of its functionality. It's a bit like a drunk walking home, one step forward and two steps backwards!

Come to think of it my new car is being delivered next week. I must remember to check if the manufacturers have temporarily disabled the electrically operated convertible roof which is fitted to my current model?

At least even you MUST admit that bb should have at least mentioned somewhere in their hyper blurb that buyers of the new Z10 would not be able to enjoy the benefits of BIS or the bridge functions! It would have been nice would it not. They might not have had as many Z10s returned if they had. I would dearly love to see the statistics of units sold since release date vs units returned since release date.
    I agree with the last bit. I only found out that BIS was no longer there when I checked my data usage thru my carrier and found that data was no being deducted off my entitlement rather than unlimited thru BIS as with my previous blackberry phone. I too was disappointed to see bridge functionality limited.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-13-13 08:11 AM
    At least even you MUST admit that bb should have at least mentioned somewhere in their hyper blurb that buyers of the new Z10 would not be able to enjoy the benefits of BIS or the bridge functions!
    It's to be expected from any company promoting any feature. They will talk about what it can do, not what it can't.
    04-13-13 08:25 AM
    Wasn't the London Bridge torn down and rebuilt somewhere in Arizona? Hopefully the BlackBerry Bridge is in the rebuilding process.
    04-13-13 09:01 AM
    Wasn't the London Bridge torn down and rebuilt somewhere in Arizona? Hopefully the BlackBerry Bridge is in the rebuilding process.
    But it will only work in Arizona and only in those parts of Indian Reservations that observe Day Light Savings Time.
    dphjeff and sad_old_man like this.
    04-13-13 09:03 AM
    It's to be expected from any company promoting any feature. They will talk about what it can do, not what it can't.
    But should they not be bound by moral courtesy to mention what the product did have and no longer has due to their "UPGRADE" I use the term upgrade loosely, very loosely!
    04-13-13 09:15 AM
    I can see that you are passionate about this issue. I agree that BBRY should replace the lost functionality and I think that they should improve it. My workaround involed setting up my email accounts on the PlayBook so that now I have the accounts set up on three separate devices - PB, Z10 and desktop (Outlook express). There is a slight delay in getting new posts synchronized on the three devices but I am pleasantly suprised that when I respond to an email on, say, my destop computer, the sent email finds its way onto both of my other devices. I used to have to send it to myself in order to have a record on my smartphone (and PB via Bridge).

My workaround for a family calendar is to start using Google's calender. I set up an account on PB, Z10 and I have always had desktop access. This arrangement is working much better than using only the local calandar on my smartphone because my new calendar can be shared more easily with the other members of my family.

Fact is, I wouldn't return to the previous Bridge way of doing things unless it could perform as well as my workarounds.
    I have my e-mail on four devices ( PB, BB and two Mac's) - my email address is through a carrier -Telus and my cell phone is under Bell. The inboxes can be synchronized but how do you synchronize the sent mail ? Just curious.
    04-13-13 09:17 AM
    I finally met a person who uses "the bridge" - I asked him why he used the bridge. It was because he doesn't have a Wifi account . No internet except through his phone.

I am curious ... just a question ... If the Bridge is so beloved by some PB owners ( I say some because I don't use it) , why isn't there a bridge between androids tablets and phones and the same for Iphones and Ipads ? Why didn't Apple steal this feature ?
    04-13-13 09:29 AM
    Very very strange because the answer to me is simple because I am simple. A bridge allows something (anything) because bridges arnt clever like wot you and I is, to cross from one side to the other side. Usually without getting wet but that's not a contributing factor. So if you can live without bridges I can't!
    04-13-13 09:51 AM
    I can see that you are passionate about this issue. I agree that BBRY should replace the lost functionality and I think that they should improve it. My workaround involed setting up my email accounts on the PlayBook so that now I have the accounts set up on three separate devices - PB, Z10 and desktop (Outlook express). There is a slight delay in getting new posts synchronized on the three devices but I am pleasantly suprised that when I respond to an email on, say, my destop computer, the sent email finds its way onto both of my other devices. I used to have to send it to myself in order to have a record on my smartphone (and PB via Bridge).

My workaround for a family calendar is to start using Google's calender. I set up an account on PB, Z10 and I have always had desktop access. This arrangement is working much better than using only the local calandar on my smartphone because my new calendar can be shared more easily with the other members of my family.

Fact is, I wouldn't return to the previous Bridge way of doing things unless it could perform as well as my workarounds.
    Outlook Express? Good lord what year is this?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-13-13 10:01 AM
    Hard to say. I use the BlackBerry Bridge every day almost all day. If I didn't have it I would have to pay extra for a mobile hotspot to get internet service (way pay for some thing twice). I am a plumbing and heating contractor and invoice my customer to there e-mail before I get out of there basements. Some times before I get up the stairs they have a check ready for me. Now if the NFC would take major credit cards I would be set.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-13-13 10:04 AM
    I finally met a person who uses "the bridge" - I asked him why he used the bridge. It was because he doesn't have a Wifi account . No internet except through his phone.

I am curious ... just a question ... If the Bridge is so beloved by some PB owners ( I say some because I don't use it) , why isn't there a bridge between androids tablets and phones and the same for Iphones and Ipads ? Why didn't Apple steal this feature ?
    I use the bridge whenever I'm on the road. I can use my tablet in airports without having to buy daily Wifi. I can use my tablet in some hotels that don't offer free wifi because I'm not in their programs. My Playbook is set up Active Sync so I never had to have need of the other bridge functions. I thought they were redundant in Playbook 1.x. Everyone has different needs.
    dphjeff and sad_old_man like this.
    04-13-13 10:04 AM
    S_O_M have you been in the Brandy your talking like a hillbilly.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-13-13 10:14 AM
    Dear S_O_M time moves on, first we have things in common, I am also old, and also English. So lets think about it, when we changed our cars from steam to the infernal combustion engine. Not backwards compatible, sure they both have round wheels, but you can't put coal in a petrol engine. Lets be reasonable and see what BB do regarding Playbook and OS10 say to the end of this year. Use my Playbook every day and had it from practically the time it was released, Still works great. So rock on Tommy and Bollocks to them.
    04-13-13 10:26 AM
    You could put coal in a petrol (gas to me) engine if you gasified it. See how thing come in a full circle.
    04-13-13 10:37 AM
    This is why I love this forum, absolutely love it to the point of insanity. We can go in one short Page from:
    To

I use the bridge whenever I'm on the road. I can use my tablet in airports without having to buy daily Wifi. I can use my tablet in some hotels that don't offer free wifi because I'm not in their programs. My Playbook is set up Active Sync so I never had to have need of the other bridge functions. I thought they were redundant in Playbook 1.x. Everyone has different needs.
    To the one I love the best. This is like 'you've been framed!'

Dear S_O_M time moves on, first we have things in common, I am also old, and also English. So lets think about it, when we changed our cars from steam to the infernal combustion engine. Not backwards compatible, sure they both have round wheels, but you can't put coal in a petrol engine. Lets be reasonable and see what BB do regarding Playbook and OS10 say to the end of this year.
    As old as I am I have never seen or heard of a steam car! Also petrol is refined from crude oil, crude oil comes from coal therefore if I place coal in my tank, wait approx 10,000 years I will have a tank full of crude oil. Oh.... Wait a moment, crude oil, injectors, combustion, Mmmmmmmm ok you win coal doesn't work in a car. But if bb had designed the car, we would all be using push bikes and being told that a better form of transport is coming but not saying when or in what form. Then they would produce the unicycle which is great for some and then the bicycle a long time afterwards. However having converted us all to bicycles they would then upgrade it back to the unicycle! Simple eh!
    FF22 and dphjeff like this.
    04-13-13 11:00 AM
    You have absolutely no idea where that is, or what that word means, or where you are. But you like it here so you're staying!
    kbz1960 and sad_old_man like this.
    04-13-13 02:24 PM
    You have absolutely no idea where that is, or what that word means, or where you are. But you like it here so you're staying!
    I've heard that somewhere before? Now I wonder where it was????
    04-13-13 02:52 PM
    I don't know exactly. I've been around since 1948 and sometimes forget things. You probably think that I am obsolete too, but I don't mind. Anyway, I am running XP service pack 3 with an AMD Dual Core 3800+ processor. I bought my computer back in 2007, I believe, and I have had to replace the power supply and swap out an hard drive or two but otherwise the hardware has been very reliable. I guess, I could build a new desktop machine with the latest hardware like I did in January for my son, but I can't be bothered.

This is my development platform and it suits me just fine. It runs all the latest software that I require. Outlook Express comes with the OS so I use it - it works just fine and as they say, it ain't broke, why fix it? In any event, I use my smartphone and PlayBook as my primary communication device so what does it matter what's on my desktop? I do miss a fully functional BB Bridge but I am confident that BB10 on the PB will bring improvements.
    04-13-13 02:53 PM
    I don't know exactly. I've been around since 1948 and sometimes forget things. You probably think that I am obsolete too, but I don't mind. Anyway, I am running XP service pack 3 with an AMD Dual Core 3800+ processor. I bought my computer back in 2007, I believe, and I have had to replace the power supply and swap out an hard drive or two but otherwise the hardware has been very reliable. I guess, I could build a new desktop machine with the latest hardware like I did in January for my son, but I can't be bothered.

This is my development platform and it suits me just fine. It runs all the latest software that I require. Outlook Express comes with the OS so I use it - it works just fine and as they say, it ain't broke, why fix it? In any event, I use my smartphone and PlayBook as my primary communication device so what does it matter what's on my desktop? I do miss a fully functional BB Bridge but I am confident that BB10 on the PB will bring improvements.
    For once I am speachless, absolutely speachless.
    04-13-13 02:58 PM
    I've heard that somewhere before? Now I wonder where it was????
    Some melancholy old guy I once knew used to sign all his posts with those (or similar) words. I have no idea what the words mean or where he is now. I think that he was planning to stay around whether the rest of us like it or not. You may run into him at some point in the future. I hope so - he's quite a character.
    sad_old_man, kbz1960 and Chaddface like this.
    04-13-13 03:05 PM
    Some melancholy old guy I once knew used to sign all his posts with those (or similar) words. I have no idea what the words mean or where he is now. I think that he was planning to stay around whether the rest of us like it or not. You may run into him at some point in the future. I hope so - he's quite a character.
    1. You like brandy.
    2. You like pasties.
    3. You are a pilot.
    4. I love you!
    04-13-13 03:15 PM
    1. You like brandy.
    2. You like pasties.
    3. You are a pilot.
    4. I love you!
    1. Yes, I admit that I like her but she's not really my type. She tends to overindulge whereas I don't drink strong stuff at all.
    2. If you mean the kind that exotic dancers used to wear back in the day, I can do without. If you mean the kind from Cornwall then I can also do without.
    3. I am acrophobic..
    4. That's your problem not mine.
    dphjeff likes this.
    04-13-13 03:40 PM
    1. Yes, I admit that I like her but she's not really my type. She tends to overindulge whereas I don't drink strong stuff at all.
    2. If you mean the kind that exotic dancers used to wear back in the day, I can do without. If you mean the kind from Cornwall then I can also do without.
    3. I am acrophobic..
    4. That's your problem not mine.
    How can you go through life waking up knowing that's the best your going to feel all day. At least when I awake with a hangover, I know I'm going to start improving as the day goes on!
    dphjeff and FF22 like this.
    04-13-13 03:46 PM

Yes .. I can do that with either my Ipad or my PB . Maybe it might be easier between two BB devices or two Apple devices. Tethering is not a big deal ... is it ?
    04-13-13 03:59 PM
    I have my e-mail on four devices ( PB, BB and two Mac's) - my email address is through a carrier -Telus and my cell phone is under Bell. The inboxes can be synchronized but how do you synchronize the sent mail ? Just curious.
    I use Bell Mail and just accepted the default settings when I set up email on my Z10. If you go into the edit screen for Account settings on the Z10, there is a button near the bottom entitled "Edit Folder Settings". On mine, I believe Drafts, Inbox and Sent folders were selected by default but I can't be certain I didn't adjust them afterwards. You can also add custom folders using Bell's web interface and I have started to organize my workflow around the new structure.. The settings page also gives you the option to sync Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Memos on the Bell server. I chose to use Google calendar but I intend to play with the Bell versions to see how they work. I should note that the setup on the PB does not have all of these advanced options (or at least I can't find them) but somehow messages sent from my PB find there way to my Z10. I hope I've got all this right - I'm still experimenting with settings to see the variations on how things work.
    04-13-13 04:03 PM
121 1234 ...