First off, I own the Motorola Zoom, IPAD2 Samsung Series 7 Slate (Running Windows 8 Consumer Edition.. just released via MSDN) and of course the Playbook. I mention that to say that my opinion is based on extensive use of the top tablets on the market.

The Playbook is what I carry and use consistently everyday from the office to the train and even walking aroung the house. The rest collect dust except the iPad which is my 3 year old daughters favorite toy.
    08-19-12 04:48 PM
    Now that's gonna get a rise from all the fanboys and Skype and Netflix worshipers
    08-19-12 04:54 PM
    Prepare for battle...
    08-19-12 04:56 PM
    OP, there wasn't really a why in that post, more so just because you use it.
    I'm curious as to your comparisons to the other tabs. Continue?
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    08-19-12 05:00 PM
    The iPAD is such a simplistic device. If I were recommending a device for my 76 Y.O. Mum, or a child I would likely recommend the iPAD becuase of the plethora of games and the easy to use "you see it - you touch it" single tasking OS. Unfortunatly i couldnt see myself lugging it around on the train like the rest of the sheep. Also I wont stand for iTunes or not being able to truley own my device and its digital contents in every aspect.

The Playbook is really the best kept secret out right now. I see so many idots and yuppies who cant spell technology using the iPAD everyday. This is another reason why I dont like using the device because what does it say about me if im using the same waterd down mindless tech as them.
    axeman1000, FMB8900 and erhan8 like this.
    08-19-12 05:14 PM
    Ah, was going to say welcome to the site. Then I saw your next post. The typical troll and flamebait.

Glad you like your playbook. Must be a LOT of idiots and yuppies in the world considering how many people use iPads. Or maybe...just maybe it was the right tablet for them?

You know what else is a simplistic device? A hammer. Or a knife. Yet there are a million uses for each. Go figure.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 08-19-12 at 05:26 PM.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    08-19-12 05:17 PM
    Ah. So "idots" use iPads. That is a rude way to refer to your kid, ain't it?

Like these mindless sheep here: http://mashable.com/2012/03/05/business-uses-ipad/

Technology is what you make of it. Insulting people who pick up other devices isn't cool, but we all need different things to give ourselves a boost every now and then.
    08-19-12 05:20 PM
    Hey BR. Heres some more competitive analysis.

Samsung Series 7: Its really unfair to compare thes with the other tablets because its a full blown PC OS. Also it is twice and sometime times the cost of the other devices at a wopping 1300 USD. Its a powerful great device but too big and the OS is not fun enogh. It feels like im on my Home computer and much of its portibility is lost.

Zoom: Is very pretty although I really dont like Android OS in general. Its very clunky at times and is such a sbuggy OS that I really dont understand why its soo popular. I only support Android because they were the first alternative the the evil giant (Apple) in a long time. All and all I get so frustrated on Droid devices (I also have a Archos 101) I end up smashing them or leaving them in my guest bathroom for pure oohs and awws

The iPad as I said is very simple. A little too simple in my opinion. not enogh personilization, too many hippster yuppie owners, and a whole plethora of other reasons. In fact I wish the iPAD had a kid only mode becuase my 3 Y.O. is so sued to her iPAD she can navigate to places I dont want like certain youtube videos and Netflix R movies. Im glad aple exist however because many noo bs still wouldnt have a smart phone to this day if apple didnt convince them this was the first and they must have it.

The Playbook... I dont want to bore ppl. I work in corporte setting, we have BES, we have Domino Lotus (I know kills me everyday we dont have outlook), and it just blends seemlessly with my lifestyle. It has great entertainment valu and the Mutlitasking OS is by far the main thing that keeps me entertained for hours. Theres a few apps, but thats not why Im here, I like the Android player, and the idea of having VM's on a tablet is revolutionary... I could go on and on but the Playbook is just perfect for me, from the size to the looks and feel. Love everything about it even the recessed power button. I only wish they would make the entire outter edg metal like the Bold 9930, that would be amazing.
    axeman1000 and FMB8900 like this.
    08-19-12 05:26 PM
    Good Points, and im sorry if I offended people on here. Again, these are just my opinions, and i really believe its what works for you. I recieve much subjective critisim by fanboys and im constantly defending anything outside of apple while giving apple credit where credit is due. Its not shot beneath the belt when I say IOS is really good in some ways because of the simplicity. I recommend it to people who are not technically inclined like my 3 Y.O daughter or Mum. When Jeff Gordan steps off the track he may not be caught dead in a ford focus but he probally will buy one for his neice. That doesnt mean hes calling his neice an idot. Lighten up her folks, im just sparking a little healthy debate. If you knew me you would see I have the biggest smile on my face and me and my work mates josh each other around all day around these exact subjects. Thanks for the welcome Mike. Long time reader, first time poster...
    08-19-12 05:38 PM
    The iPad is a great device. I think it is the most functional tablet overall, and I think for the most people, it defines the tablet space.

There are a couple of reasons I probably won't own any current iterations, but that is a thread for another day. Suffice to say, I currently prefer Android as a platform, I like to think I am unbiased enough to see what good things the PB and iOS bring to the table.

BTW, i absolutely DESPISED the Xoom. Moto, IMHO went about that very, very wrong.
    08-19-12 05:43 PM
    The Xoom was horrible. Nothing about it was right.

Guess I are one of them iPad 1di0ts. I also have a Playbook, Kindle Fire and Samsung Galaxy S (Android) and a Samsung Series 7 Tablet running Windows 8 Enterprise.

I use my Folio 13 and iPad daily.

The only thing that matters is what works FOR YOU.
    08-19-12 05:47 PM
    Good Points, and im sorry if I offended people on here. Again, these are just my opinions, and i really believe its what works for you. I recieve much subjective critisim by fanboys and im constantly defending anything outside of apple while giving apple credit where credit is due. Its not shot beneath the belt when I say IOS is really good in some ways because of the simplicity. I recommend it to people who are not technically inclined like my 3 Y.O daughter or Mum. When Jeff Gordan steps off the track he may not be caught dead in a ford focus but he probally will buy one for his neice. That doesnt mean hes calling his neice an idot. Lighten up her folks, im just sparking a little healthy debate. If you knew me you would see I have the biggest smile on my face and me and my work mates josh each other around all day around these exact subjects. Thanks for the welcome Mike. Long time reader, first time poster...
    Glad you decided to join us. I understand you were only trying to spark a healthy debate, but debates with a strong undertone hardly ever go the way you want them to on this site (or any other forum.) What you'll end up with is a few level headed people making fair points, and the majority of people getting emotional and passionate about why their choice is the only choice, and all others are wrong.

Or even worse, you'll get the bottom feeders associating themselves with you. You'll see posts like "YA, LIKE BBMESSIAH SAID, PLAYBOOK IS MADE OF GOLD AND CAN REVIVE THE DEAD. YOU ITOOL ISHEEPS ARE JUST SUPER DUMB" I'm not even kidding...

To bring a counterpoint to your argument about simplicity, I have not found a single thing that my iPad can't do that I need it to do. The largest vice of the playbook is its lack of Apps IMO, and that is probably the iPad's biggest strength. But never once has the simplicity of the interface hindered my usage of the tablet. Also, customization, the PB and iPad are on the same level here. Only Android offers any advanced customization.
    08-19-12 05:49 PM
    NJberry, I am interested in hearing more of your perspective. You seem to have a nice mixture of toys, can you break them down and compare why you love yur ipdad more than your playbook?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I see you have a Windows phone. Very refreshing to see. Not sure how close you are to the city but here its all iPhones, Droids, and Berries. If I wasent forced with a company Blackberry I would have a Windows Phone. If I had a Windows phone i wouldnt feel the way i do for my Berry. Like I said a major factor for me is my work and personal life is all on the Playbook via bridge and BB balance.
    08-19-12 05:56 PM
    I use my PlayBooks far more than my Ipad, Toshiba Thrive, and Asus Transformer TF700 combined. But I sure am glad I own Apple stock, and not RIM.
    mud314 likes this.
    08-19-12 05:58 PM
    Another uselss post for me.... I lose interest when you start calling users of other platforms names... no call for it... does nothing to add to the conversation about BB..... which is why I am here.... If you have to knock what others use to make the point about how good your device is.... you have lost the arguement....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 08-19-12 at 06:07 PM.
    08-19-12 06:04 PM
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, PB revive the dead! thats hilarious. Good points, I was over a mates house who was experiencing issues connecting his ipad to apple tv. I started to help him troubleshoot and I instantly stopped when i realized you need an app for that...
    I Told him to turn everything off and back on agian, if its not fixed buy the iPad3.

This is what I mean Mike... you say you havent found a single thing that it cant do? How about sending me a song via bt or plugging it into a pc and copying a few tunes over without iTunes? How about connect to your corporate email, and or network via VPN. How about view Sharepoint or anyother tricky webpages from your browser? Dont you miss multitasking?
    08-19-12 06:06 PM
    I love that not using something because 'other people like it' is a valid reason for why one device is better than another. Who the cares what the 'yuppies' are using? Why can't people see that preferring a device does not make it 'better'. It only makes it better for you.
    08-19-12 06:09 PM
    Another uselss post for me.... I lose interest when you start calling users of other platforms names... no call for it... does nothing to add to the conversation about BB..... which is why I am here.... If you have to knock what others use to make the point about how good your device is.... you have lost the arguement....
    dbMalloy, I can tell this post probally wasent for you. This post was meant to spark debate on the best Tablet. I doubt it will transend the tablet arena in any way than sticking up for the underdog that is Playbook. Your best bet is to check out the BB10 post and see whats new and leave comments about how you cant wait to test it out on your Torch.
    08-19-12 06:10 PM
    NJberry, I am interested in hearing more of your perspective. You seem to have a nice mixture of toys, can you break them down and compare why you love yur ipdad more than your playbook?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I see you have a Windows phone. Very refreshing to see. Not sure how close you are to the city but here its all iPhones, Droids, and Berries. If I wasent forced with a company Blackberry I would have a Windows Phone. If I had a Windows phone i wouldnt feel the way i do for my Berry. Like I said a major factor for me is my work and personal life is all on the Playbook via bridge and BB balance.
    Sure. I personally thought (and continue to think) that RIM missed the boat (FOR ME) on the Playbook when it couldn't connect directly to BES. Bridging seemed absolutely ridiculous to me. Ends up they put EAS on it.

The iPad (which came first for me), did what I needed to do. All of my e-mail accounts with a decent (not superb) browser. I was one of the "I can't live without Flash" people, but got over it. Loved the form factor. I am not an Apple customer (OK, I have some iPods) but the iPhone never did it for me and I'm a PC. So the iPad was very usable for me. iTunes was already on my PC. So I bought a LOT of applications. Because I could. Love the Kindle reader - I use it as I fly a lot and like to read on planes.

The Motorola XOOM came next. It was heavy. Like a brick heavy. Lost me right there. The Android Marketplace can be a bit of a cesspool and that was not what I wanted either..

Then the Playbook was announced. WOW. I was a total RIM advocate and really wanted to love it.

No native e-mail. No BES interface. Bridging (I still think it is ridiculous). I tried. I really did. I sent e-mails to Amazon asking for a Kindle reader. Nope. Ergonomically I had some issues. The power button was recessed and difficult to use. When in the RIM logoed case, it wasn't usable. The location of the power (micro USB) was poor as it couldn't be charged when propped open - using the same RIM approved case.

So it wasn't a happy marriage. And I still had the iPad.

The Kindle Fire was a cheap attempt at a tablet and showed it. No ActiveSync client so I needed a third party app for corporate e-mail. They had their own stylized UI. Didn't like it.

Love the Folio13, which is a wonder Ultrabook and is my primary computing device. For media consumption I used the iPad (now the iPad3).

That's my 2 cents.

I like the Windows Phone 7. I'll upgrade to a new Windows Phone 8. Not sure about BB 10; we have no plans to install Mobile Fusion.
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-19-12 06:14 PM
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, PB revive the dead! thats hilarious. Good points, I was over a mates house who was experiencing issues connecting his ipad to apple tv. I started to help him troubleshoot and I instantly stopped when i realized you need an app for that...
    I Told him to turn everything off and back on agian, if its not fixed buy the iPad3.

This is what I mean Mike... you say you havent found a single thing that it cant do? How about sending me a song via bt or plugging it into a pc and copying a few tunes over without iTunes? How about connect to your corporate email, and or network via VPN. How about view Sharepoint or anyother tricky webpages from your browser? Dont you miss multitasking?
    You don't need an app to connect to an Apple tv. Airplay is included in iOS5.

The thing with the tasks you've mentioned is that I don't do most of those things. I never send files via bluetooth, nor does 99% of the world anymore. My iPad is synced with my corporate email and handles it better than my phone. I use Citirx to connect to work if I ever need to (never happened yet.) While I don't use sharepoint, I do have associates who use it just fine on the iPad...the web interface isn't the only way. Multitasking is total trash on all tablets, Windows RT tablets will be the first to offer multitasking that actually interests me. I can switch between apps just fine and can't see any need for apps to continue running arbitrary code while I'm switched out of them. Just sounds like a good way to kill battery life to me.

I can present you with some things that I do on my iPad which I can't on my Playbook. First the obvious Skype with my family.
    Create from scratch, full media rich presentations (Keynote)
    Shoot and easily edit home movies (iMovie)
    Fill out database entries (Filemaker Go)

The list could go on, but why bother? We both use our devices for different purposes. I'd be hard pressed to find any 2 users with identical usage patterns.

Edit: Also, Windows Phone <3 If WP8 rocks it this fall, I won't be waiting for BB10 for my personal phone.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 08-19-12 at 06:23 PM.
    08-19-12 06:20 PM
    Sigh........
    08-19-12 06:38 PM
    Hmm tushay. If I had the real Skype and Netflix on my Playbook I would certainly use them. Not having them as an App is a draw back, but I have hope because they are in fact just apps that can work on any platform in theory. My point with the bt media sharing was apple restricts this and thats a major draw back for me. Your right I personally dont send (and neither does anyone else) anything via bt other than my audio or for internet tethering but its nice to know i control media on my device not apple. Its absolutely ridiculous that i cant take a song off my ipod to share with a friend.

I absolutely get your point on usage. We seem to have completey different needs for our devices. I just think apple has done a really god job with marketing to folks and making them believe that this is what they need. It just doesnt apply to people like me who want to live without all the limitations of my device manufaturer. Most of the world will be absolutely fine with the Ipad and they like you will truley believe they arent missing anything. Everything they do or will soon do will be within apples box, and they wont notice the difference. For the others, theres Android and QNX. Ehh.. Android like i said is like the wild wild west and its dirty, but it is a limitless world. You really have to take the good with the bad.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    08-19-12 06:38 PM
    Ah. So "idots" use iPads. That is a rude way to refer to your kid, ain't it?

Like these mindless sheep here: http://mashable.com/2012/03/05/business-uses-ipad/

Technology is what you make of it. Insulting people who pick up other devices isn't cool, but we all need different things to give ourselves a boost every now and then.
    two of the three uses consist of using secure information accessed by the ipad, considering the security is not to the level of the playbook there is no way I will swipe my credit/debit card to one or feel comfortable having my health info accessed on one! The ordering of wings will fit nicely as kids can play with fart apps to blend in with the patrons drinking pitchers of beer and eating wings!!! Talk about gas!
    08-19-12 06:39 PM
    NJBerry, I only aquired my PB a few months ago. I couldnt imagine owning one back in the day when it didnt have email and stuff (OS 1...). Its come a log way since then and I hope it continues to get better and better. I think once developers realize theres a pot of gold on the PB Market they will come. Think about it, all PB users are professionals with a credit cards. PB has a need for many popular apps that are played and used on other platforms. IMO this is why PB apps are so highly priced because its simply a supply and demand issue. On Android and IOS developers have to compete with each other. There are litterally a minimum of 10 of the same type of apps for every app.
    08-19-12 06:44 PM
    two of the three uses consist of using secure information accessed by the ipad, considering the security is not to the level of the playbook there is no way I will swipe my credit/debit card to one or feel comfortable having my health info accessed on one! The ordering of wings will fit nicely as kids can play with fart apps to blend in with the patrons drinking pitchers of beer and eating wings!!! Talk about gas!
    Quick: tell me what POS system you're favorite retailer uses and what Desktop OS your medical provider uses.

You might become a hermit when we're done...
    08-19-12 06:44 PM
124 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD