Pedro, I like you see the flaws in the Playbook. However Nobody mentions that. They only say its not the iPAD and dismiss it right away.
    08-20-12 02:06 PM
    In my case, i only had money to the PB, and, two months after, as i know more about my device, i'm happy with, regardless of it's flaws...

It's fit for my needs

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-20-12 02:28 PM
    Well I guess ill chime in late in the game,

Right now I'm using a Xoom running JellyBean. I've had the chance to use the playbook for many months and my girlfriend has an ipad so iv played around with that guy too.

I can def concede that the playbook is soooo much more portable than my brick the Xoom.

I just feel like I'm getting more out of my Xoom and here is why:

The larger screen is a preference for me as I like to surf the web. Many options for browsers....and I do feel like the stock android browser works better for me than the PBs. It gives me the option to share the page with anyone using any app! Love that functionality....checkerboarding does not exist and you can scroll really quickly up and down pages without it stalling or checkerboarding.

Iv got a 2mp front cam and a rear 5mp cam with autofocus and flash! Also the device has 32gb of storage with an option to expand the memory via micro sd card. The unit also has an hdmi out port.

The xoom let's me drag and drop media and files which already makes it easier than dealing with itunes and that software alone turns me off from the ipad.

I'm entirely satisfied with the app selection at this point. I've got everything I need...yes skype and netflix whoopdidooo. Google now is pretty cool and the vocie input works great.

Now for the best part....I'm rocking my BB 9900 alongside my xoom using blackberry bridge. Now that the 9900 has wifi hotspot I can use my data to power this guy but I'm also able to use my bold as a mouse and portable keyboard for the xoom.

I do love the playbook though and if I could afford to throw another couple hundred bucks away I'd pick one up.

Right now I'm very satisfied with this combo. Hopefully this gets the conversation back on track haha.

DK.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-20-12 02:28 PM
    I use iphone 1-4, iPad 1-2, Bold and PB. PB form-factor is excellent (wake up Apple) but the software is slow, too slow. When it is rebooted, it taked 5 mins to restart - on a portable device! The new RIM guy needs to shut up and deliver some major releases. Android VM is a buggy piece of beta software. If Apple release a mini-iPad, PB is DEAD.
    Last edited by klinton; 08-20-12 at 02:41 PM.
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-20-12 02:39 PM
    Your right. Thats is the whole purpose for a post like this. I would hate to hear a bunch of people simply agreeing with me. and it seems there are quite a few subjective fanboys on here who prefer the iPad over the PB. To me the smoking bullet is the Device and the base OS its self. Forget its stock value, forget which is more popular, just focus on the device and OS. If the PB had all the same apps as the iPAD or Android there would be no comparison. Its size and ergonomics is far more suitable for a tablet form factor. The Multi Tasking is something to write home about.
    The simple fact is it doesn't have those apps though, and who knows when it will. And while that might not be an issue for you, it is for a lot of people. There are tasks that people expect to be able to do on a tablet. You can 'blame' Apple for that if you want, but it's not something that's going to change. RIM is not going to redefine what people expect from a tablet. If people can get/do something on every other platform, they will want to be able to do it on a Playbook as well. If they can't, they will see it as a limitation.

I like my Playbook quite a bit, but there are still a fairly substantial list of tasks daily tasks I'd like to be able to do on it that I can't due to lack of apps. Those tasks might mean nothing to you, but they mean something to me. And a lot of other users are in the same vote. So for a lot of people, it's just not the 'best' tablet.
    rich_a and Rickroller like this.
    08-20-12 02:53 PM
    I like my Playbook quite a bit, but there are still a fairly substantial list of tasks daily tasks I'd like to be able to do on it that I can't due to lack of apps. Those tasks might mean nothing to you, but they mean something to me. And a lot of other users are in the same vote. So for a lot of people, it's just not the 'best' tablet.
    This is the truth. If I could have slingplayer, skype & UPNP video on the PlayBook now I'd be as happy as a pig in 'stuff'.
    Last edited by rich_a; 08-20-12 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Apparently p00p is a banned word.
    08-20-12 03:07 PM
    Well I guess ill chime in late in the game,

Right now I'm using a Xoom running JellyBean. I've had the chance to use the playbook for many months and my girlfriend has an ipad so iv played around with that guy too.

I can def concede that the playbook is soooo much more portable than my brick the Xoom.

I just feel like I'm getting more out of my Xoom and here is why:

The larger screen is a preference for me as I like to surf the web. Many options for browsers....and I do feel like the stock android browser works better for me than the PBs. It gives me the option to share the page with anyone using any app! Love that functionality....checkerboarding does not exist and you can scroll really quickly up and down pages without it stalling or checkerboarding.

Iv got a 2mp front cam and a rear 5mp cam with autofocus and flash! Also the device has 32gb of storage with an option to expand the memory via micro sd card. The unit also has an hdmi out port.

The xoom let's me drag and drop media and files which already makes it easier than dealing with itunes and that software alone turns me off from the ipad.

I'm entirely satisfied with the app selection at this point. I've got everything I need...yes skype and netflix whoopdidooo. Google now is pretty cool and the vocie input works great.

Now for the best part....I'm rocking my BB 9900 alongside my xoom using blackberry bridge. Now that the 9900 has wifi hotspot I can use my data to power this guy but I'm also able to use my bold as a mouse and portable keyboard for the xoom.

I do love the playbook though and if I could afford to throw another couple hundred bucks away I'd pick one up.

Right now I'm very satisfied with this combo. Hopefully this gets the conversation back on track haha.

DK.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Danny, strong post! You are the first person on here to stick up for the Xoom and you seem to have other op's different from those expressed so far. You odviously read the original post and you have formed an op only after using several different devices exstensivly. In the middle of all this I just learned i can Bridge on my Xoom, which I never even thought of before.
    08-20-12 03:36 PM
    The simple fact is it doesn't have those apps though, and who knows when it will. And while that might not be an issue for you, it is for a lot of people. There are tasks that people expect to be able to do on a tablet. You can 'blame' Apple for that if you want, but it's not something that's going to change. RIM is not going to redefine what people expect from a tablet. If people can get/do something on every other platform, they will want to be able to do it on a Playbook as well. If they can't, they will see it as a limitation.

Hey Torn, no im not blaming apple or android for having apps. What Im saying is, I wish the PB had all the same apps so the app discussion becomes moot when discussing tablets. An App is an ap as an app is an app. The only thing that prevents apps from being on another platform is sheer compatibility, and development/licensing etc...

So if the only claim to fame iPAD has is I have all the apps, then I just wonder what the argument will be when other platforms have surpased or equaled Apple apps. If Android keeps letting anyone develop any ol app (trash as it may be) they will pass Apple very soon.

On that note Apple has a solid process for letting apps in. Yeah, i hate that theres no nudity on the app store, and theres no over the top hack apps. But I love the fact that with iPAD I dont have to worry about dloading a virus from the market.
    08-20-12 03:43 PM
    Had a PlayBook until I spilled beer on it. Now it won't turn on, so it sits in a drawer..where it already had spent a lot of time. After having owned the device for probably 8 months, the only thing I found it useful for was Treehouse for my kid, and throwing some movies on there for him for flights. The music player was horrible (although the sound was great), internet browsing was inconsistant, and trying to watch Youtube on it was an effort in futility.

My wife owns the iPad, and while i'm not a big Apple fan, it's good at what it does, and for what she needs. I bought a Xoom when they first came out, and returned it the next day, simply because it didn't offer me anything more than my phone could already do, and I simply hate carrying around more hardware than I need to.

I'm eagerly awaiting Microsoft Surface Pro, because this could be a tablet I could actually find some use for. Of course, I won't jump on it without thoroughly investigating it first..but if it lives up to the hype, I'll be all over it.

As for this thread..
    Click to view quoted image
    Rick, thats too bad u poured out a lil beer for all your dead technology (homies) on the playbook.

Next time pour some on the ground like most people do. On another note, you seem to be getting along fine without a tablet now. I always believe that if you dont have a tablet you dont know what your missing. And if you havent had your tablet for long, you should evelove with your tablet as you find more uses. At my level of tablet owners maturity I have found that my old iPAD2 is perfect for my 3 YO daughter, while I no longer have a use for it. It got to a point where I was using my iPAD as a radio. When I first got it, I jailbroke it and used it to show noob iPAD users what they could do, if they invested a little time and research. -- Now as I said I rock the PB the hardest becuase it works really well for me and my lifestyle.
    08-20-12 03:52 PM
    The iPAD iPad is such a simplistic device. If I were recommending a device forto my 76 Y.O. Mum, or a child I would likely recommend the iPAD becuase of the plethora of games and the easy to use "you see it - you touch it" single tasking OS. Unfortunatly i Unfortunately I couldnt couldn't see myself lugging it around on the train like the rest of the sheep. Also I wont won't stand for iTunes or not being able to truley truly own my device and its digital contents content in every aspect.

The Playbook is really the best kept secret out right now. I see so many idots and yuppies who cantcan't spell technology using the iPAD everyday every day. This is another reason why I dont don't like using the device because of what does it say says about me. if im using the same waterd watered down, mindless tech as them
    You were saying WHAT about id!ots and those who can or cannot spell.....?
    mikeo007 and reeneebob like this.
    08-20-12 04:49 PM
    You were saying WHAT about id!ots and those who can or cannot spell.....?
    I love you guys that find purpose in spell checking forum post. There will always be a place for people like you on forums so long as there are people like me who are more concerned with content than Grammar.

It is refreshing to see however that there aren't many like you on CB. This is only the second I write better than take in almost 200 post on this forum.

Did you have a take on the subject or were you just correcting the spelling on my post?
    08-20-12 05:49 PM
    I got his take on the subject pretty clearly. Idiots who can't spell aren't just limited to the iPad.

Edit: Sorry, I guess that belongs in the other useless thread that popped up today.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 08-20-12 at 06:32 PM.
    08-20-12 06:06 PM
    I love you guys that find purpose in spell checking forum post. There will always be a place for people like you on forums so long as there are people like me who are more concerned with content than Grammar.

It is refreshing to see however that there aren't many like you on CB. This is only the second I write better than take in almost 200 post on this forum.

Did you have a take on the subject or were you just correcting the spelling on my post?
    Someone clearly missed the point
    08-20-12 06:29 PM
    08-20-12 06:38 PM
    Hey Torn, no im not blaming apple or android for having apps. What Im saying is, I wish the PB had all the same apps so the app discussion becomes moot when discussing tablets. An App is an ap as an app is an app. The only thing that prevents apps from being on another platform is sheer compatibility, and development/licensing etc...

So if the only claim to fame iPAD has is I have all the apps, then I just wonder what the argument will be when other platforms have surpased or equaled Apple apps. If Android keeps letting anyone develop any ol app (trash as it may be) they will pass Apple very soon.

On that note Apple has a solid process for letting apps in. Yeah, i hate that theres no nudity on the app store, and theres no over the top hack apps. But I love the fact that with iPAD I dont have to worry about dloading a virus from the market.
    I guess my 'argument' is pretty simple, and again solely based off my needs. To me, the 'ecosystem' is part of a tablet. So if the tablet does not have it when every other tablet does, then it's a limitation to me. Yes there are things I can do on the Playbook I can't do on another device. But, there are a bunch of pretty basic things I can't do on the Playbook I can do on other devices (or, things I can't do as well as on other devices). So it's not a case of bashing the Playbook, just a case of simply not thinking it can be considered the 'best' until the ecosystem situation improves.
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-20-12 06:51 PM
    Recently, I went on vacation bringing only the playbook without my trusted laptop, big mistake. Wifi won't connect in most hotels. For an example Holiday Inn that I stayed at was using 252 subnet, meaning there are only 2 usable IPs, one for the gateway and one for the device. PlayBook, dhcp client doesn't even know how to obtain the ip. My playbook frustrated me so much that I want to throw it against the wall. At Ramada, I had to configure static IP, hoping that the hotel router won't assign my ip to someone else. And don't get me started on the browser. Next time I will bring my laptop along, and will leave playbook home. So much for portability eh?
    08-20-12 11:08 PM
    Recently, I went on vacation bringing only the playbook without my trusted laptop, big mistake. Wifi won't connect in most hotels.
    My PlayBook wouldn't connect to a hotel wifi access point recently, while my wife's iphone and the old Nokia (Symbian) phone I took along to use as a satnav would. I got it to work eventually by deleting all my saved access points, and a couple of times during our stay I'd need to repeat this exercise.

I think the access point database is very flaky on the playbook. It's the same when you want to temporarily use a HTTP proxy. Once you remove a proxy from the settings for your AP, the AP never connects again properly until you delete and recreate it.
    08-21-12 03:43 AM
    I got his take on the subject pretty clearly. Idiots who can't spell aren't just limited to the iPad.

Edit: Sorry, I guess that belongs in the other useless thread that popped up today.
    Mike, once again this has nothing to do with the topic of the post. I hear ya loud and clear tho. Im sorry if I offended anyone on here and I didnt mean to say ipad owners cant spell technology. I own an ipad and this certainly isn't the case for me. I was making a generalization or stereotype that for what ever reason is usually more true than not.

Please stick to the topic folks. If someone gets rude on here, tell them they cant spell or something and they need to use more punctuation, but then have a take on the topic.

If you have more than one tablet and use them daily, which do you prefer and why.
    08-21-12 06:16 AM
    Recently, I went on vacation bringing only the playbook without my trusted laptop, big mistake. Wifi won't connect in most hotels. For an example Holiday Inn that I stayed at was using 252 subnet, meaning there are only 2 usable IPs, one for the gateway and one for the device. PlayBook, dhcp client doesn't even know how to obtain the ip. My playbook frustrated me so much that I want to throw it against the wall. At Ramada, I had to configure static IP, hoping that the hotel router won't assign my ip to someone else. And don't get me started on the browser. Next time I will bring my laptop along, and will leave playbook home. So much for portability eh?
    loc,I was just talking to a different playbook owner (on here) who said something similar. Im going to tell you the same thing I told him. Your tablet is not a replacement for a laptop. Im not sure what you guys do on your laptop, but I dont own a tablet that can do what my Laptop can do. The things that I do on my laptop are required for my profession and 98% of them haven't been ported over to a tablet.

Strange thing is I once had this problem with my laptop at one of the same seedy hotels you mentioned. I ended up going downstairs to the business center, looking up the ip ( of the business center pc) and setting my own static that was waaaay up there. last octet was like 236. Worked like a charm afterwards
    Last edited by BBMessiah; 08-21-12 at 06:25 AM. Reason: clarified in case this info helps someone in a pinch
    08-21-12 06:23 AM
    I liked the PB, good size to carry around, but now it doesn't work, it won't turn on and the charger won't charge it- it blinks 4 yellow lights.
    08-21-12 06:31 AM
    Mike, once again this has nothing to do with the topic of the post. I hear ya loud and clear tho. Im sorry if I offended anyone on here and I didnt mean to say ipad owners cant spell technology. I own an ipad and this certainly isn't the case for me. I was making a generalization or stereotype that for what ever reason is usually more true than not.

Please stick to the topic folks. If someone gets rude on here, tell them they cant spell or something and they need to use more punctuation, but then have a take on the topic.

If you have more than one tablet and use them daily, which do you prefer and why.
    Or, you know, overreact and jump all over them for trying to bring a little humor to the thread.
    08-21-12 07:50 AM
    If I was I the market for a tablet, which I'm not, I'd probably go Nexus 7. But I'm very, very happy with my little ol HP Touchpad dual booted with WebOS and Cyanogen mod. Rarely use the Cyanogen side though because I love WebOS.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the take ReneeBob. I only briefly played with WebOS and I thought it was visually stunning and super quick from powered down to ready to surf (less than a min). I generally steer clear of new product concepts like webos for a little while until I see what develops. You mentioned your not in the market for a tablet right now, but if you did, it would be the Nexus 7.

What makes you choose this option (Nexus 7) over the ipad or playbook? I only ask because the WebOS your using now has limited capabilities that you will find in all three choices (Droid, ipad, pb). So in theory either one would do the job for you...
    Last edited by BBMessiah; 08-22-12 at 10:35 AM. Reason: made a mistake
    08-22-12 10:33 AM
    There has been a lot of glaring issues with the nexus screen recently.
    08-22-12 10:37 AM
    Someone clearly missed the point
    amazingracless, I have read both your post on this topic and you still haven't graced us with your opinion. You heard my take, and why I formed my opinion. Whats your take and how did you come to form that opinion.

(ps. please no more negativity) Good Vibes... Crackberry is the happy place
    08-22-12 10:42 AM
124 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD