Lol @ the troll bait by the OP...The playbook has a lot of potential, with that being said its far from the best tablet IMHO...

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    mud314 likes this.
    08-19-12 06:48 PM
    Tre, you slay me. I like how you fanboys think Apple is sooo secure. I agree and disgree. On the simplest level as I previously mentioned, I would recommend an Apple product to a noob in a heart beat. I have an old Mac Book Pro that i keep for when my wifes little sister comes over. I wont let her use any of my PC's becuase she clicks on everything she see's and in the past when I let her use my Lenovo X201 Tablet (Win 7) she gave me a slue of virus's. On the Mac Book Pro she goes to town on FB and online games, and ad sites all night and in the morning the thing still works the same. In this aspect I would say yeah its secure alright.
    08-19-12 06:56 PM
    Marty, what do you think is the best Tablet?
    08-19-12 06:57 PM
    Quick: tell me what POS system you're favorite retailer uses and what Desktop OS your medical provider uses.

You might become a hermit when we're done...
    would be more willing to bet on something driven on the qnx OS than a ipad. The medical provider would be a software suite running on windows or maybe linux based, not a ipad. That is only on tv shows!

Thanks for coming out!

Remember, there is more to the world then the american way.
    08-19-12 07:04 PM
    would be more willing to bet on something driven on the qnx OS than a ipad. The medical provider would be a software suite running on windows or maybe linux based, not a ipad. That is only on tv shows!

Thanks for coming out!

LOL to both your answers.

Are you sure YOU'RE living in the real world? We've got more physicians at work with iPads than we have with laptops. Also, linux based? In heathcare? Never.

QNX for a POS? That doesn't even make sense. It's either Windows if it's new, or *nix if it's an older system. If they have a tablet (think bars, restaurants) it's either a Windows tablet or an iPad.
    08-19-12 07:08 PM
    Marty, what do you think is the best Tablet?
    For me I would say the iPad...the playbook is an ok tablet, but I find myself leaving home with my iPad all the time.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    08-19-12 07:10 PM

Thanks for coming out!

LOL... few know that better than me. I have been blessed with the opportunity to live in more places than most people.

My point, that I humbly think you missed, is that while you are vigilantly guarding against the evils of iOS, you are most likely trusting your treasured personal information to systems with greater vulnerabilities (like Windows and various POS systems).

To each his/her own.
    08-19-12 07:11 PM
    Tre, you slay me. I like how you fanboys think Apple is sooo secure. I agree and disgree. On the simplest level as I previously mentioned, I would recommend an Apple product to a noob in a heart beat. I have an old Mac Book Pro that i keep for when my wifes little sister comes over. I wont let her use any of my PC's becuase she clicks on everything she see's and in the past when I let her use my Lenovo X201 Tablet (Win 7) she gave me a slue of virus's. On the Mac Book Pro she goes to town on FB and online games, and ad sites all night and in the morning the thing still works the same. In this aspect I would say yeah its secure alright.
    I think you have a problem comprehending what I am saying. No sweat, it happens on the internet.

I don't have any Apple products. I am not vouching for their security. I'd tell you to find a post of mine that I did, but I want to save you the facepalm.

I think Apple products are a bit over-priced for me. I am not a fan of tablets in general, but if someone offered me a bunch of tablets and asked me to pick one, all things being equal, I'd pick the iPad, because I think it currently provides the best value by far. Heck, I'd pick one on resale value alone.

As for security... I am not educated enough in those matters. Suffice to say, I am satisfied with the security of the device I use. I think the the biggest threat to online security is a naive user. I leave the quantifying and posturing to the newbies who feel spry enough to call people they don't know -- and fail to understand -- fanboys.
    08-19-12 07:19 PM
    I think you have a problem comprehending what I am saying. No sweat, it happens on the internet.

I don't have any Apple products. I am not vouching for their security. I'd tell you to find a post of mine that I did, but I want to save you the facepalm.

I think Apple products are a bit over-priced for me. I am not a fan of tablets in general, but if someone offered me a bunch of tablets and asked me to pick one, all things being equal, I'd pick the iPad, because I think it currently provides the best value by far. Heck, I'd pick one on resale value alone.

As for security... I am not educated enough in those matters. Suffice to say, I am satisfied with the security of the device I use. I think the the biggest threat to online security is a naive user. I leave the quantifying and posturing to the newbies who feel spry enough to call people they don't know -- and fail to understand -- fanboys.
    Trey, since u don't have a tablet and you don't like them. I don't care about your op. I'm looking for more educated ops from those who have multiple devices and can speak to their likes and dislikes between the various platforms. Sorry for calling you a fanboy its clear your not. In my defense I never read your post I just piggy backed off axmann figuring your post was security related. In the long run I'm glad I didnt read your post because you don't own a tablet, or they are too expensive or something. Forgive me it's the Internet land of the misunderstood
    Last edited by BBMessiah; 08-19-12 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Typos that I thought may be offensive. Forgive me spell checker
    axeman1000, melb_me and Bobert_123 like this.
    08-19-12 07:40 PM
    First off, I own the Motorola Zoom, IPAD2 Samsung Series 7 Slate (Running Windows 8 Consumer Edition.. just released via MSDN) and of course the Playbook. I mention that to say that my opinion is based on extensive use of the top tablets on the market.

The Playbook is what I carry and use consistently everyday from the office to the train and even walking aroung the house. The rest collect dust except the iPad which is my 3 year old daughters favorite toy.
    For consumer market, simplicity is very important. As a consumer, you want to spend time to figure out how to use it and spend time use it?. Simplicity is why ipad succeed. You actually pointed out why playbook failed in consumer market.
    Last edited by smartie88; 08-19-12 at 09:17 PM.
    08-19-12 09:09 PM
    dbMalloy, I can tell this post probally wasent for you. This post was meant to spark debate on the best Tablet. I doubt it will transend the tablet arena in any way than sticking up for the underdog that is Playbook. Your best bet is to check out the BB10 post and see whats new and leave comments about how you cant wait to test it out on your Torch.
    It don't know why you still try to debate what is the best tablet. Right now. It is ipad.period. Don't tell me you like playbook so it is the best tablet. It is the best tablet for YOU. But overall, market share , stock share, product price and resell value already tell you everything you want to debate, just Google.
    Last edited by smartie88; 08-19-12 at 09:27 PM.
    08-19-12 09:24 PM
    I have to chime in here.

The security of the OS of a vendor's point-of-sale device does not matter at all.

Think about what happens at any restaurant that is fancier than a Taco Bell:

* Your check comes to the table, in a little folder.
    * You hand over your physical credit card to a total stranger, who...
    * ...takes it out of your sight and does God-knows-what with it...
    * before bringing it back.

Do you seriously think the OS is the weak link here?

BB security is famous, and lots of Playbook owners love their devices, and that's great, but "iOS/Windows/Linux is TEH SUXOR 4 Point of Sale!!!111" is not a persuasive argument.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    08-19-12 09:46 PM
    I have to chime in here.

The security of the OS of a vendor's point-of-sale device does not matter at all.

Do you seriously think the OS is the weak link here?

BB security is famous, and lots of Playbook owners love their devices, and that's great, but "iOS/Windows/Linux is TEH SUXOR 4 Point of Sale!!!111" is not a persuasive argument.
    Leave it alone... LOL.
    08-19-12 09:52 PM
    I use my PlayBooks far more than my Ipad, Toshiba Thrive, and Asus Transformer TF700 combined. But I sure am glad I own Apple stock, and not RIM.
    Well...you may want to adjust your holdings. Apple is at an all time high. RIM is trading at an irrational, below tangible book value.

Buy low. Sell high.
    08-19-12 10:05 PM
    One thing that confuses me everytime I reade it...and understand my playbook is a personal device and I dont access corporate information from it. zbut zi loved bridge, I stell acess my emails by bridge, I dont have any important emails coming to my playbook. I just dont understand why anyone would think different.
    08-19-12 10:37 PM
    I'm one of the idiots that paid full price, yeah the Playbook is fabulous. As I sit here on my PC to type this :

- My Playbook is connected to my WIFI network but none of the web connectivity works. I've reset the piece of garbage 3 times and my router 3 times. All other devices connected to the network are fine.
    - It is IMPOSSIBLE to delete the piece of crap scribbles / doodleblast game. I delete it over and over and it keeps telling me I need to upgrade it. A minor annoyance, but an allegory for a crappy device.
    - My PC will not recognize it as a drive or in Blackberry software therefore I cannot add music or movies easily. The Blackberry software sees a Playbook, but can't access it and won't allow me to see files, let alone copy.

The Playbook should have been names the Jokebook.

The reality is really simple. The Playbook could have been a good device but because of Research in Motion's rank, disgusting, obvious incompetence it is nothing more than an asterisk on the timeline of technology. It's the ultimate underachiever. It's a frustration.

You can talk crap about the iPad until you're blue in the face (I'm not an Apple guy) but it does one thing that the Playbook cannot do after over 2 years. It works consistently and easily. The Playbook doesn't and will never, which is why it will be lucky in 10 years to be remembers as the betamax of the tablet world.
    Last edited by Dukey Avalon; 08-19-12 at 11:57 PM.
    08-19-12 11:55 PM
    I kindly request the mods to delete this thread. It's as bad as any iPad user or other device user coming in here and saying the playbook collects dust.

Please guys.. Do not let your devices collect dust.. If you don't see any use.. Just load some pics on the device and let it be used as a digital picture frame.
    08-20-12 12:05 AM
    It don't know why you still try to debate what is the best tablet. Right now. It is ipad.period. Don't tell me you like playbook so it is the best tablet. It is the best tablet for YOU. But overall, market share , stock share, product price and resell value already tell you everything you want to debate, just Google.
    Well dont say the Ipad the best tablet either because it most certainly is not. The playbook multitasking is UNBEATABLE, it is fast, responsive and (in my opinion) has a far better size compared to the ipad. The ONLY thing the ipad wins in is apps so please dont say the ipad is the best tablet on a BLACKBERRY fan site
    It makes you look like an a**
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-20-12 12:06 AM
    Spoken like a true sycophant.

1) Explain to me how I can return a technology item 2+ years later?
    2) Explain how a PC intermittently will recognize the device?
    3) Explain how the wifi only acts up intermittently?

It's not a hardware issue, it's an issue with the OS... as it has been from the start. I'm sure tomorrow when I'm on another wifi network it will connect fine. I'm sure after fighting with it for 10 minutes my PC will recognize it. The point (like the one on your head) is that this device is and always has been unreliable. We are having a best tablet thread here and my vote is that the Playbook doesn't quality so don't go take a crap in your RIM underwear and use your useless RIM stock to wipe it up.

I've said in many posts that this is mostly a decent device but fanboy, blind, biased dullards such as yourself can't honestly see what the Playbook is. It's a work is progress at best. That's it. Factual evidence does not support any other possible conclusion. Anyone who extoles this device as fantastic or complete it biased.

I like alot of what it does but it is neither complete, nor is it reliable. I've had 8 blackberries and I own 0 Apple devices so take that for what it's worth. Go pull a Tony Scott.
    Hmm...your situation seems odd indeed. The problems you described are not common and I just wonder if you have the latest OS downloaded and installed. I will say the Playbook requires the user to be a bit more technically savvy than an iPad does, especially when it comes to sideloading.

That said, maybe you just got a defective device. It happens with all consumer goods. Lucky for you, the Playbook is practically free right so just go buy another one and enjoy!
    Bobert_123 and BBMessiah like this.
    08-20-12 01:08 AM
    Hmm...your situation seems odd indeed. The problems you described are not common and I just wonder if you have the latest OS downloaded and installed. I will say the Playbook requires the user to be a bit more technically savvy than an iPad does, especially when it comes to sideloading.

That said, maybe you just got a defective device. It happens with all consumer goods. Lucky for you, the Playbook is practically free right so just go buy another one and enjoy!
    It does not exist appear that this guy is willing to try the playbook again since his last experience was so traumatic for him boo hoo
    08-20-12 01:17 AM
    Why the f8k do we have people coming in here and saying that the PlayBook is 'NOT' the best tablet for any given reason?

To all the ******* in here.. Does it look like the OP was trying to have a debate on this topic? He's stating his opinion in his own created thread..
    Maybe people are coming in and giving their opinions because they disagree with the OP? Surely the whole point of a forum is to discuss different subjects and opinions - not to follow up opinions with a number of posts saying "I agree"?

Once again, I'm dismayed by the contents of your post, varunsain. You don't agree with post in this thread, which is fine, but calling people "*******" for not sharing your opinion is nothing but ill mannered and offensive. Although I cannot lay the blame solely with you as it seems there have been other offensive remarks made in this thread.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-20-12 06:01 AM

This always confuses/amuses me when I visit the US. Here in Britain we are constantly told that everyone, from the checkout clerk to the person on the end of the phone line taking your details, is out to steal our credit card details and that you should never ever let your cards out of sight. When you pay in a restaurant the waiter/waitress generally comes over to your table with the wireless credit card machine, and you tap in your PIN (covering your fingers as you type, obviously!) and also type in the amount you wish to tip - the server doesn't even touch your card.

When you're in the US and the server takes your card from you and runs to the back room, this makes most Brits quite panicky. Especially when you have to write the tip amount down and they enter that into the machine when you've left. The urge to waltz back and tell the server that you've tipped them $10.00 and not $1000 (there's a decimal point there, see!!) is overwhelming! It's nice that folks there don't treat all those in a service position as a potential thief.
    08-20-12 06:12 AM
    To be honest i only picked up the playbook because of What it can do wIth my current blackberry. Smartphone. And because i thought it looked great as well .
    However in the shop i would of gone for the ipad if it wasnt for the amazing price tag they had on it and the fact that everyone has one, i wanted to be diifferent.
    All in all. Every tablet is great for what ever reason its just that. People need to find the tablet that best suits them in their everday life.

P.S i am very glad i Went with the playbook though it is great and does everything i want and need for the device.
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-20-12 06:47 AM
    Well here is why I like the PlayBook over the competition:
    -Best multitasking hands down. That is huge for me
    -Good performing browser
    -Simple layout and easy to use, but yet the OS is more than just an app launcher like iOS
    -Portable and fits well in your hand
    -The look is stunning (which is why Amazon copied it :P lol)
    -The PlayBook still has that professional feel, but it can obviously be used for other purposes
    -Great specs (still good even considering other tablets on the market today. Not a whole lot has changed)
    -Bridge!!

Some cons:
    -Screen resolution isn't amazing, but its still fine. No one who has used it noticed it.
    -The camera can perform less than perfect when the lighting just isn't right.

But all I can really say is that the PlayBook works for me. I have used Android and iOS and they don't. I don't like them and can rant on about what I don't like, but all that matters is that you find something that works for you.
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-20-12 07:37 AM
    Hey BR. Heres some more competitive analysis.

Samsung Series 7: Its really unfair to compare thes with the other tablets because its a full blown PC OS. Also it is twice and sometime times the cost of the other devices at a wopping 1300 USD. Its a powerful great device but too big and the OS is not fun enogh. It feels like im on my Home computer and much of its portibility is lost.

Zoom: Is very pretty although I really dont like Android OS in general. Its very clunky at times and is such a sbuggy OS that I really dont understand why its soo popular. I only support Android because they were the first alternative the the evil giant (Apple) in a long time. All and all I get so frustrated on Droid devices (I also have a Archos 101) I end up smashing them or leaving them in my guest bathroom for pure oohs and awws

The iPad as I said is very simple. A little too simple in my opinion. not enogh personilization, too many hippster yuppie owners, and a whole plethora of other reasons. In fact I wish the iPAD had a kid only mode becuase my 3 Y.O. is so sued to her iPAD she can navigate to places I dont want like certain youtube videos and Netflix R movies. Im glad aple exist however because many noo bs still wouldnt have a smart phone to this day if apple didnt convince them this was the first and they must have it.

The Playbook... I dont want to bore ppl. I work in corporte setting, we have BES, we have Domino Lotus (I know kills me everyday we dont have outlook), and it just blends seemlessly with my lifestyle. It has great entertainment valu and the Mutlitasking OS is by far the main thing that keeps me entertained for hours. Theres a few apps, but thats not why Im here, I like the Android player, and the idea of having VM's on a tablet is revolutionary... I could go on and on but the Playbook is just perfect for me, from the size to the looks and feel. Love everything about it even the recessed power button. I only wish they would make the entire outter edg metal like the Bold 9930, that would be amazing.
    I agree with you!
    08-20-12 07:43 AM
124 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD