03-08-15 11:30 AM
31 12
tools
    I have a 64GB PB that I currently use as a glorified alarm clock. A baby is on its way and I was thinking it would be great to use this as a baby monitor. My wife and I both have BB10 devices (Z10 and Q10) and I would like the PB to be put in the baby's room and be able to video/sound monitor the baby from the phones. Preliminary searches found some apps not quite what I'm looking for either for legacy BBOS or so that PB could monitor wireless cameras but not the PB itself as an in room monitor. Anyone have some ideas of a working setup?
    01-17-15 11:48 PM
    Skype? Separate accts on both ends...?

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 12:02 AM
    do android apps have access to the camera?
    01-18-15 12:05 AM
    do android apps have access to the camera?
    Yes. Since OS 2.1 was released.
    01-18-15 12:31 AM
    I'm thinking that turning my PB into an IP camera is the best option. I've found a decent app to monitor ip cams (tinyCam Monitor) I just need to turn my PB into an IP camera. There is an app called SpyWebCam but the problem is its a free limited version and I can't seem to find the paid version. Anyone know a good ip camera app for PB?

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 09:02 AM
    I don't believe I've ever seen anyone got skype working on the PB (at least not for video). I was thinking possibly the other way around...bluetooth/wifi webcam set up in the baby room and then the PB as the video receiver. Don't know if that's possible. Yours is an interesting idea, but I don't believe I've seen anyone attempt it. (doesn't mean it can't be done, just I haven't seen anyone do it)

As someone with a 3 month old, I can tell you that one advantage of a decent baby monitor is that the camera should have a "night vision" mode. Meaning you can have the lights off in the room and still be able to monitor the sleeping baby. Just FYI. I know they are pricey, BUT I've generally been able to find one on clearance/significant discount.
    serbanescu likes this.
    01-19-15 06:40 AM
    I would buy a proper baby monitor. After all, it's a critical task, you should act like a pro
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-19-15 06:54 AM
    Try using AV by AOL- AV by AOL - Let's video chat! Set up a video chat there. It's flash based and the Playbook can broadcast though the browser.
    01-19-15 06:56 AM
    I have a 49$ icam. The camera is great at night time viewing and has a microphone for sound. I bought an app from app world called tinycam. This works great on my PlayBook and Passport. I gave 9 cameras total.
    PB as a baby monitor-img_20150119_071046.png
    The pic is a screen shot from passport. My PlayBook sits on my desk at work. The PlayBook shows all 9 cams at once with a nice view. The phone is too small for that. Hope it helps

Posted via CB10
    mh1983 and dmlis like this.
    01-19-15 07:12 AM
    PB as a baby monitor-img_20150119_071451.png

Thought I would share a dark pic. This is my garage and you can see how well it see at night.

Posted via CB10
    mh1983 likes this.
    01-19-15 07:16 AM
    I have a 49$ icam. The camera is great at night time viewing and has a microphone for sound. I bought an app from app world called tinycam. This works great on my PlayBook and Passport. I gave 9 cameras total.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150119_071046.png 
Views:	1262 
Size:	531.3 KB 
ID:	328281
    The pic is a screen shot from passport. My PlayBook sits on my desk at work. The PlayBook shows all 9 cams at once with a nice view. The phone is too small for that. Hope it helps

Posted via CB10
    Can you share a link with the cam you have?

Posted via CB10
    Necronas likes this.
    01-19-15 08:14 AM
    (btw I'm the op, different user name)

I've seen the tinycam app and it looks interesting. If there was a way to turn my playbook into a ip cam via an app this would be a perfect solution. But it might be better to get a cheap wifi camera and use this tinycam app to monitor it with playbook or other device. I just have to find one cheap enough.

I'm not really interested in an actual baby monitor as they are high priced since its a video monitor/cam in one and they only really have 1 function. If I use a wifi cam it should be pretty cheap and I can use my phone as the video monitoring which is always on me anyways. Kinda makes a actual baby monitor obsolete.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 04:15 PM
    I too would love to know which camera you used. Been looking good for one, and the one I did try would not transmit audio in spite of what it said on the box. The night shot looks great!
    01-21-15 07:11 AM
    Glad I came across this thread! I've got a baby on the way (in about 6 months, so I've got some time!) and I no longer use my PlayBook very much at all... my wife would prefer a "classic" baby monitor with video (no WiFi because she wants it to work even if the internet went down or we went to the inlaws who don't have a WiFi connection).

I would still like to check in on the little one from work from time to time, and the PlayBook might be useful for this... it wouldn't really need to have night vision capabilities or anything like that either since I'd only be using it during the day.

What about BBM Video chat? Actually wait, the baby would have to accept the call I guess... lol... can't see that one happening. It would be awesome to mount a PlayBook to the crib and have the camera on all the time, then be able to "call" to it with my phone or PC and check in... definitely interested to see if we can all figure something out.
    01-21-15 09:03 AM
    It seems like the app Private Eye (and Pro version) should work for this sort of thing. However, it doesn't want to connect. I am testing out the free version, but the "Start Camera" button just leads to a Network Alert error message. I'm glad I didn't purchase the Pro version right away. Any ideas? The developer's website is in Czech or something...
    01-21-15 11:08 AM
    After having no luck with Private Eye, I tried searching for an Android app that could work. I found "IP Webcam" on Google Play and downloaded the APK, converted it to a BAR and tried it out on the PlayBook... unfortunately it can't be opened. It installed fine, but forces closed upon opening. Bahh

Edit: after doing more reading, this Android app is EXACTLY what I need. It doesn't use a third party website to log in, etc. You just navigate to the camera by the IP address. Eeesh I really wish the Android Runtime on the PB was updated!

Maybe an older version of the app would work? I have no idea how to find older versions though. It says the current version is compatible with Android 1.6 and up, but it still crashes. I'd love to get this app working somehow.
    Last edited by kyleheney; 01-21-15 at 12:59 PM.
    01-21-15 12:29 PM
    This site may have an older apk:

Android Drawer - Android Apps .apk Repository

I went on a similar quest, testing older versions of Netflix on the PB. Good luck and let us know how the testing goes!
    01-21-15 01:01 PM
    Careful that the little one doesn't order specialty diapers online with the PlayBook in the nursery

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 01:20 PM
    This site may have an older apk:

Android Drawer - Android Apps .apk Repository

I went on a similar quest, testing older versions of Netflix on the PB. Good luck and let us know how the testing goes!
    Thanks. Doesn't look like they have anything. I tried a couple other sites with no luck. I have contacted the developer to see if they can provide an older version. Who knows!

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 05:31 PM
    Keep this thread posted if you can find an app that will convert the pb into an ip cam. Otherwise I will just have to use the pb to monitor an ip cam using the tinycam app which seems more than adequate so long as you have the right hardware.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 12:57 PM
    I use icamera and it works great with PlayBook BlackBerry 10 with Tinycam pro. Good crisp sound

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 08:55 PM
    Have you tried the baby monitor mode in tinycam? I have tinycam but no ip camera to test it out with, I'm just wondering how well it works?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 05:36 AM
    Yes it works good. U live in US?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 05:59 AM
    No, in asia

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 09:28 AM
    I've scrapped the idea turning the actual PB into an ip camera due to lack of app support (but I still would like to do this) Instead I've decided to purchase a Dlink DCS-825L which is a wifi camera marketed as a baby monitor.

This device is compatible with the TinyCam Pro app to monitor the camera on the PB or BB10 device. I have the dock charger for the PB so it sits at a nice angle and can always be plugged in; my thoughts are turning the PB into the main device to monitor the cam using the app TinyCam Pro.

Dlink I'm sure is a little more expensive then other cams ($99) but the thought was to get a cam that will work with all my devices (iPads, iPods, Blackberries, etc...) and it has a nice app for iOS so it should be pretty well rounded. My wife and I both have BB10 phones and I like the idea of grapping my phone to check on the baby. This setup is way more sophisticated than a standalone baby video monitor and a lot cheaper I might add. Plus it can be used for other things than just monitoring a baby.

I also live in Asia and family in North America. I might be able to setup the cam so they can peek in but that might be a little creepy. I will look at my options for that.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 01:00 PM
31 12