I've been wanting to buy a Playbook for the longest time, but still haven't gotten one. At first I was waiting to see if the new software update that was coming out would make the PB any better, and then later I heard about the 4G model so I've been waiting since I love to have the latest edition of everything lol. I'm itching to get my hand on a PB though so my question is if it's worth waiting to get the 4G model or if I should take advantage of the sales on the original PB?

I'm a college student and the sale prices I've seen on the PB look great, but if the 4G is going to be a better option, then maybe I should wait?

Thanks so much for any help I might receive and sorry if this question has been answered many times already
    09-10-12 10:38 PM
    Not really, just get a cheap WiFi one I say. The price difference isn't worth the overall cost of the device IMO. Plus, no one knows when it'll arrive in the U.S. as of yet. You should read my review, if you haven't already.

4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook Review | CrackBerry.com
    kimbonini likes this.
    09-10-12 11:03 PM
    From what I understand, the newest PlayBook is a 'little' faster and has cell network access. If you have a modern smart phone that you can tether with then I don't think the extra price for the latest playbook is worth it. Personally I would snap up one of the first gen PlayBooks that are currently at rock bottom prices.

Just my $0.02 worth...
    09-10-12 11:07 PM
    I'd say get a 16GB WiFi PB for $130 while they're still in stock. The 4G is really only if you have money to burn on a dedicated data plan (and over $400 more on the device).
    09-10-12 11:17 PM
    imo it isn't worth it. as others are stating the 4G - whilst nice sales trip catching up with other units / tablets - is something that can already be done through tethering. Further to this - for those without a BB phone (they do exist) who don't bridge the use of pdanet, foxfi, etc all work in successfully linking mobile data connections for accessible use. the 4G is a relevant move for RIM, but given recent global prices just go out & buy a 64gb!
    09-10-12 11:48 PM
    As blaize said look at his review and crunch the numbers. I was seriously considering it but there just is no compelling reason to get the 4g. If it was faster or had better screen resolution I would get it for the fun factor...but it doesn't. The only reason for getting it would be if you don't have a smartphone and need a radio. Maybe also if you live in lte area and your phone isn't capable but you want the speed.
    09-11-12 01:17 AM
    I was under the impression the 4G PlayBook would upgrade to the BB10 OS, which the original playbook wouldn't. This was my only motivation spending so much money.
    09-11-12 01:41 AM
    I believe your impression is false. Of course there's no confirmation one way or the other, but there isn't any technical reason for this to be the case.
    jbaker8 likes this.
    09-11-12 01:47 AM
    BB10 Will work on 1st gen playbooks. At least thats the promise made by RIM
    jbaker8 likes this.
    09-11-12 02:39 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll just buy a PB now while they are cheap and save myself the extra money .
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    09-11-12 10:49 PM
    Sensinle choice I think.
    09-11-12 11:06 PM
    probably worth 300$...500$ is way too expensive for a half-cooked beta OS
    09-11-12 11:21 PM
    probably worth 300$...500$ is way too expensive for a half-cooked beta OS
    PBOS2 isn't beta nor half cooked. You could make that argument about PBOS1 though.
    09-12-12 10:19 PM
    I've been wanting to buy a Playbook for the longest time, but still haven't gotten one. At first I was waiting to see if the new software update that was coming out would make the PB any better, and then later I heard about the 4G model so I've been waiting since I love to have the latest edition of everything lol. I'm itching to get my hand on a PB though so my question is if it's worth waiting to get the 4G model or if I should take advantage of the sales on the original PB?

I'm a college student and the sale prices I've seen on the PB look great, but if the 4G is going to be a better option, then maybe I should wait?

Thanks so much for any help I might receive and sorry if this question has been answered many times already

Is the playbook LTE worth waiting for....

Short answer....NO

Its waste of money...IMO....and we all know what they say about opinions..

Why do i think its a waste of money?...read these forums...Yes you will find some die hard playbook fans...that have excuses for everything RIM does...but you will also read about the problems Many people are having with the playbook...

now i don't know why they seem to be having problems but they do... I have never had a problem with my playbook...charging, getting emails,,,overheating...battery draining...I am using the 668 Os....don't have any problems..with anything...

I sideload everything ...but the kitchen sink....sometimes the files work and sometimes they don't... I know that before i even attempt to do it..but I do it...

So either i'm very lucky and got a 'good' playbook....or there is something seriously amiss in all the problems i see everyone else report.

my 2 cents worth....

now i feel better
    09-13-12 03:13 PM
    BB10 Will work on 1st gen playbooks. At least thats the promise made by RIM
    And here i thought i was done ranting...

I don't trust anything RIM says

Don't listen what they say ....watch what they do...

Time will tell....and the truth will out.
    09-13-12 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD