PB 2.0 is RIM's first foray into Activesync territory. I welcome it. But I do have a question regarding corporate use.

My company has BES, of course. We also have a seperate MDM (mobile device managment) technology that is being rolled out. At some point we will be denied access to ActiveSync unless our device has an MDM agent on it. I support this decision.

My BES team says they should manage it since it's a Blackberry device. This seems impossible. My MDM Team says MDM should manage it since it's accessing ActiveSync.

Of course, there is no MDM agent for a Playbook from this vendor as yet since there is no need until Feb 17.

I am going to give my MDM manager a head's up since I know there are more than a handful worth of Playbooks that were purchased since the discounting began. I bet he has to bug the vendor for an agent and I don't get to use ActiveSync for a while.

Doesn't this seem like another narrow crack that RIM has to crawl through with their decision to stick with Playbook OS vs Android? I really like PBOS, but ease of adoption by corporations should be the main goal since it sells devices.
    01-27-12 11:56 AM
    You might want to get your BES people to research it a bit further. Though quite vague in the description in the demo videos, it sounded like it used ActiveSync, but in a combination of the BES servers or Mobile fusion. Not all that clear and probably will not be until next month unless the BES administrators have access to more info or a white paper on the PlayBook OS 2 and use with BES.
    01-27-12 12:01 PM
    ActiveSync still adresses the NOC somehow ...
    Some here : http://crackberry.com/what-does-acti...ervice-revenue

P.S : this is about 2.0 and @ the time it'll be released, BES will probably mean "Fusion" + "Balance" ...
    01-27-12 12:02 PM
    RIM is clearly putting in place a new network architecture. So far I haven't seen a clear explanation and roadmap, especially for non-enterprise PlayBooks. Here are a few bits of information collected from these forums and elsewhere. By the way, I would really like to know (but probably never will know) whether this new architecture was planned from the beginning of the QNX project or whether RIM sort of stumbled into it after encountering difficulties with other approaches.

Your problem may be that your company is already rolling out a MDM solution, and may not want to ugrade BES and install Mobile Fusion so that PlayBooks can be securely handled.

. At around 2:40 in this video, Michael Clewley says that in the enterprise, NOC is used to add a level of security to ActiveSync. BlackBerry infrastructure is used to tunnel the ActiveSync communication, adding BlackBerry encryption and compression. On a personal level, ActiveSync gives full access to email attachments ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/te...-analysts.html
    January 16, 2012
    . From what RIM previewed in Las Vegas last week, it appears that most PlayBooks will rely entirely on Microsoft Exchange Active Sync, the same technology found on phones or tablets that people use on the other common mobile operating systems — Apple’s iOS, Android from Google and Microsoft’s Windows Phone.
    . RIM has not disclosed what specific roles its network will play in that arrangement. But Tenille Kennedy, a spokeswoman for the company, which is based in Ontario, said PlayBooks with the new software “will significantly leverage RIM’s global BlackBerry infrastructure.”
    . Nor has the company offered a full explanation about the continued absence of BlackBerry Messenger. In an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation last week, Alec Saunders, vice president for developer relations at RIM, offered only this explanation: “Building software takes time.”
    . In an e-mail, Ms. Kennedy said corporate and government users who want highly encrypted BlackBerry service must update to the latest version of RIM’s BlackBerry Enterprise Server software. They also must use BlackBerry Mobile Fusion, which will not be sold until late February. When it was announced last year, the Fusion software was described as allowing corporations to manage iPhones and Android phones through their BlackBerry servers.
    . But several analysts said most corporations were not likely to upgrade to accommodate the PlayBook because in addition to cost, there is a potential for errors causing widespread disruption.
    . “This is not something many enterprises will do proactively unless they already have an active PlayBook deployment program,” said Jan Dawson, an analyst with Ovum who also saw the software demonstrated last week.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7037787
    01-17-2012 greatwiseone
    . If you watch the Crackberry video on the NOC, Mike Clewley said that they are overlaying RIM security protocols on ActiveSync. So essentially, it's not just any implementation of ActiveSync, but RIM's own secure implementation. It removes the RIM NOC from having the carry the burden of polling email boxes and pushing the emails down to the BlackBerries, and I think it's the right way (especially for the consumer side).

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7037721
    01-17-2012. makinbank
    . The reason RIM went with ActiveSync is because the legacy MAPI/CDO standards they use ip through BES5 have significant limitations including size and frequent sync errors on Calendar items. The BB Fusion tools will encapsulate ActiveSync on RIM's encrypted network through their NOC. Presumably the BB10 phones will work the same way. As a long time user of the BES, I welcome these changes to a more modern standard while coupling the advances with RIM's transport security and "push" email.
    . From a security perspective this means I don't have to expose an Exchange server to the internet and I still get to enjoy the improvements in ActiveSync. It looks like this first go-round RIM is not encapsulating iOS and Android ActiveSync traffic so you will need to expose ActiveSync to the internet for those users. That said, it will be really nice to have a unified console to manage BB, iOS and Android device

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-relay-688726/
    01-14-2012 purijagmohan
    . As per new video poasted RIM is using active sync for emails with option of NOC adding a layer of security and compression.
    . So my question is what happens to Relay technology that RIM used for Push emails.Any body knows
    ?
    --
    01-14-2012, rotorwrench
    . I'm curious myself. Although NOS [=NOC??] is still there, not an option, from what I got from our IT, who has been dealing with RIM on the Fusion and Balance. And IMAP and POP are still supported which iOS doesn't on Enterprise.
    --
    01-14-2012 peter9477
    . ... If RIM's made this even slicker, they may be using a single efficient "push" connection to the NOC, through which they could send all manner of notifications for new stuff, including video chat "contact presence" updates, new emails, social network messages, and so on, with the NOC being the one to maintain various connections to the various sources and do all the heavy lifting. Would be a nice way to leverage their infrastructure for competitive advantage... save battery, more robust, etc.
    . No idea if it even remotely resembles something like that though. The PB may simply be connecting to each of your accounts, on its own, and polling or staying connected as appropriate for the account type.
    01-27-12 12:50 PM
    My question is will activesync work without mobile fusion? My company allows activesync now for iOS and android. We also have BESX for us BB users. I can see the benefits of mobile fusion for IT departments but don't know if my IT will purchase it right away. Hopefully until then I will be able to use my playbook on activesync and bridge.
    01-27-12 01:23 PM
    My question is will activesync work without mobile fusion? My company allows activesync now for iOS and android. We also have BESX for us BB users. I can see the benefits of mobile fusion for IT departments but don't know if my IT will purchase it right away. Hopefully until then I will be able to use my playbook on activesync and bridge.
    I'm pretty sure it will work
    fire6 likes this.
    01-27-12 01:33 PM
    Thank you everyone for collecting a lot of good information. Especially BerryVestr for the time it took to compile.

After reviewing that data, I am even more concerned that on 1/27/12 RIM hasn't openly discussed how the PB2 uses the BB network extensively. It feels like another blunder in the making. I know we're not going to use Fusion here instead of our current MDM offering, at least not for a long time.

And that open question about BBM and Playbook 2 had better be there so there can be a wonderful surprise on launch day, because it also smells bad. I don't use BBM, (all my rowdy friends are on Android) but there is a lot of back end tech wrapped up in it.

Best,

flapadlr
    01-27-12 03:03 PM
    flapadlr, I suspect you would be able to use a PlayBook on v2.0 with your corporate ActiveSync, at least until MDM is required for it.

But for MDM, it looks iike your company would need Mobile Fusion (which "manages" BES and is the future for BES). It seems like I have read that a license for PlayBook will be free, but I cannot find any confirmation of that. If true, would that mean that Mobile Fusion would be free if only PlayBooks are managed (and not iOS and Android devices)? I think that would be a smart move, helping to get PlayBooks and Mobile Fusion into enterprises.

Mobile Fusion will require the latest version of BES, though. Here is RIM's presentation of Mobile Fusion:
    BlackBerry - Mobile Fusion - Manage BlackBerry Apple iOS & Android Devices

How does PB2 use the BB network? For BES, it appear that RIM's network will still transport the data, with its advantages of security and compression. However, I suspect that RIM is moving toward transporting only this corporate data.

In peter9477's post that I excerpted above, he suggested that RIM may use their network to transmit all kinds of notifications to the PlayBook. RIM could do that, while shifting the data transport itself off their own network. This would give up the compression and security advantages for non-enterprise users. However, data compression becomes less and less of an advantage as the networks become faster, and as more of the transmitted data is video or music (which generally can't be further compressed without enormous efforts). RIM's security for non-corporate email is not very strong, and transmitting this data on their internal network has caused trouble with one government after another.
    01-27-12 08:02 PM
    I've had conversations with RIM engineers not under NDA. RIM's Mobile Fusion is expected to be publicly available in late March or April timeframe. The new server architecture is a "single pane of glass" will several back-end components that will incorporate the classic BES, a new PlayBook management service, and a new "universal" management server for iOS and select Android devices. These services will all be pulled into a single management console/view for the Help Desk called "Mobile Fusion."

The PlayBook's will be using ActiveSync encapsulated with RIM's encrypted tunnel and the data will travel through their NOC. The iOS and Android devices will also use ActiveSync but they will not traverse RIM's NOC, but rather access ActiveSync through RIM's "universal" server, which will act as the security gateway to ensure a device has appropriate permissions.

Unless a company with a BES is completely divesting itself from BlackBerry devices, it likely makes sense to use Mobile Fusion rather than having multiple services to manage different device types. BlackBerry has more or less made their devices unmanageable by other MDM solutions. It will either pay off big or backfire big.
    01-27-12 08:34 PM
    I'm curious to know if the bridge Messages app will be left in the dust of the upcoming 2.0 'native' Messages app in terms of functionality.

I like the idea of disconnecting my private messaging when the bridge is broken, in case I lose my PB or it is stolen. What I am concerned with is if the bridge app begins to feel lacking next to the new Messages app in 2.0... cause it looks really great!
    01-27-12 08:39 PM
    From a security standpoint I love BES for the fact that we get our corporate push email without opening ports on our firewall directly to Exchange (or BES for that matter). The same can't be said for connecting ActiveSync devices which is why we have been reluctant to support them.

If Mobile Fusion can incorporate this type of connectivity for iPhones and Androids in addition to the MDM aspect then this could potentially be a must have product. Can anyone confirm?
    01-27-12 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD