Hey guys any ideas on how to password protect individual apps? As the days pass I need this feature more and more. I have too many important and secretive files on my PlayBook and the general lock doesn't cut it for me. I tried sideloading perfect app lock android app and it installed but it couldn't lock any app except it is running in the background and the playbook doesn't allow that. I haven't tried any other app and I'm wondering if anyone has gotten anything to work?
    08-28-12 11:57 PM
    There is an app in app world called File Shield that will hide any files you want hidden. It won't password protect any apps from running, but will keep your apps from seeing any files that you don't want them to see.
    08-29-12 12:23 AM
    There is an app in app world called File Shield that will hide any files you want hidden. It won't password protect any apps from running, but will keep your apps from seeing any files that you don't want them to see.
    Thanks for your input. I do have file shield but it's not exactly what I want. I'm looking into protecting my email app and other apps that contain sensitive information. I believe one of the reasons why RIM didn't have an email app before was because of security. I need to have some of my apps individually locked for when I fail to press the lock button or when people ask to use my PlayBook.
    08-29-12 12:36 AM
    For keeping your email from prying eyes, at least, you might consider using the android app Email. It's already installed and functioning on your PB as part of the android runtime. There is no icon for it and it can't be directly accessed from the desktop. It can be accessed, however, through the file manager Ghost Commander under "applications", and you an add it to Ghosts favorites menu for fairly easy access to it. It also has some advantages over the native Messages app- it can load more than 30 days worth of email, for example. You'd still get notifications of incoming mail, but tapping the notification would not automatically open the app. It's not exactly the same as a password protected app, but unless someone really knew what they were doing, they would never know about the app nor how to open it.
    ryder4587 likes this.
    08-29-12 01:36 AM
    For keeping your email from prying eyes, at least, you might consider using the android app Email. It's already installed and functioning on your PB as part of the android runtime. There is no icon for it and it can't be directly accessed from the desktop. It can be accessed, however, through the file manager Ghost Commander under "applications", and you an add it to Ghosts favorites menu for fairly easy access to it. It also has some advantages over the native Messages app- it can load more than 30 days worth of email, for example. You'd still get notifications of incoming mail, but tapping the notification would not automatically open the app. It's not exactly the same as a password protected app, but unless someone really knew what they were doing, they would never know about the app nor how to open it.
    Doing that right now!
    08-29-12 02:10 AM
    Found a better way! I installed zeam android launcher and perfect app lock for Android and it seems to work better than the ghost software!
    08-29-12 01:07 PM
    No problem. You may find that when you go to 2.1 (assuming that you haven't already), that you'll wind up losing the launcher, since any time you try to launch any android app, instead of just launching, you'll get a dialogue asking you which launcher you want to use, the QNX launcher or the android launcher. Gets annoying after awhile.
    08-29-12 02:22 PM
    oh, yeah I use 2.1 beta. and that's the point, my android email and textplus apps cannot be opened from the main screen only through the launcher, and the apps are protected within the launcher using the perfect app lock. it works from within the launcher and not the main blackberry os.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    08-29-12 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD