Has anyone managed to get 5.1 surroundsound to work when playing a supported divx avi movie with ss connected via hdmi to receiver. So far I get PCM audio but not 5.1. Can,t see even how to enable it though specs say PB will support AAC audio.
    09-19-11 06:47 AM
    Have you tried pressing the audio decode button or equivalent on your receiver? I haven't tried any movies with the playbook yet, but with Netflix and some devices connected to my Yamaha receiver I had to hit the surround decode button on the receiver remote to get the surround sound. Some devices with Netfilx, such as Apple TV seemed to work better and automatically set the receiver to the proper mode.
    09-19-11 09:13 AM
    Thanks but I don't believe my receiver has one. Seems to auto detect. My labtop has hdmi and 5.1 works using vlc. But it must be enabled using vlc audio settings. Playbook video player has no setting for 5.1 so am doubtful it will work.
    09-19-11 09:46 PM
    The playbook definitely puts out 5.1 audio. There is a good test file here. Interestingly the hdmi on my pc puts out 2 channels only.

Free surround music download - 5.1 Dolby Digital

It seems the difficulty is finding truly surround sound videos.
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-02-12 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD