Ok I have been reading these posts and feel compelled to respond.

RIM is creating a brand new operating system. This OS is entirely new to them. I can not believe when some people are surprised that they don't have a mind blowing OS 10 months later. It makes me wonder if anyone posting these rants has ever been a part of any engineering effort to bring a product to market. It takes an incredible amount of time, money and effort. 10 months is not a long time for a project of such a massive scale. You guys all have your playbooks. They work today the same way they worked yesterday, which is pretty damn well if you ask me. February is not far off. Be patient people and realize that it takes much longer than you would expect to bring a project of such an incredible scale to market.
    And don't forget the complexity that other companies do not have in their products, like integrating with BES or BIS and maintaining an impeccable reputation for security.

Let me remind you again. THEY ARE BUILDING A BRAND NEW OS. Don't expect it to just materialize overnight.

Now let me go find my flame suit ...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-25-11 11:17 PM
    I'm thinking maybe RIM said Feb and in reality, it will be released in Jan or Dec. Wont that make them look good when it comes out early and everyone will jump back on the happy bandwagon and we all live happily ever after with our updated PlayBooks.
    10-25-11 11:28 PM

RIM is creating a brand new operating system. This OS is entirely new to them. I can not believe when some people are surprised that they don't have a mind blowing OS 10 months later. It makes me wonder if anyone posting these rants has ever been a part of any engineering effort to bring a product to market. It takes an incredible amount of time, money and effort. 10 months is not a long time for a project of such a massive scale. You guys all have your playbooks. They work today the same way they worked yesterday, which is pretty damn well if you ask me. February is not far off. Be patient people and realize that it takes much longer than you would expect to bring a project of such an incredible scale to market.
    And don't forget the complexity that other companies do not have in their products, like integrating with BES or BIS and maintaining an impeccable reputation for security.

Let me remind you again. THEY ARE BUILDING A BRAND NEW OS. Don't expect it to just materialize overnight.

I guess you don't quite understand the nature of people's frustration. They are pissed off because RIM have been constantly overpromising and setting deadlines they probably knew they would never meet given the scale of the project you mentioned. Another issue is the lack of communication.

Quite frankly, I think that RIM and its management lost the sense of direction for a long while and it took them so long to get back on track (not sure if they did). I really doubt that they have been working on anything of substance over the last year to make OS 2.0 happen.
    Last edited by ferganer; 10-25-11 at 11:45 PM.
    10-25-11 11:40 PM

They're not building an entire OS in 10 months. RIM acquired QNX in April of 2010 - I'm sure you meant more than 1 year and 6 months since they had the ideas, visions and some plans prior to acquisition (so likely 2+ years), and they're only building on top of the existing and modified QNX operating system... not starting at line 1.

As far as development is concerned, if you want to be a real competitor you better have a team that can keep pace with Google and Apple, and if you don't you're dead in the water (which is what we're watching happen here).

RIM's ideas are ideas of the past and they can't even execute them before they're made irrelevant by the competition.
    Last edited by rdkempt; 10-25-11 at 11:49 PM.
    FF22, romanys79, Chrisy and 9 others like this.
    10-25-11 11:46 PM
    So people are over reacting because a once dominant company that has been in the mobile industry much longer, much more experienced in mobile have so much trouble creating a mobile Os platform are getting laughed at and surpassed by newer companies in the mobile industry???????
    scorpiodsu and bbfan1040 like this.
    10-25-11 11:48 PM
    True. But at the same time, RIM has chosen the release dates for each of its products; if they needed more time to complete features customers are interested in, they should have scheduled their product release based on when those features were ready. On the other hand, if they don't believe those features are necessary, then they shouldn't tell their customers those features are "scheduled" within the coming weeks (as they did back in April).
    ericlc2, scorpiodsu and Jake Storm like this.
    10-25-11 11:52 PM
    RIM has lied 3 different times. 60 days, end of summer and end of fall. People have a right to overreact. If this February date is true, it will be 10 months than RIM originally said it would take 60 days to produce.

I agree it is a new OS, but maybe they should have been a little more realistic from the beginning.
    10-25-11 11:56 PM
    just poor management, that's all. other companies also lacks updates on their os, but this playbook is a special case. even the dead touchpad got better updates than pb.
    and then playbook debacle is something terrible to showcase rim's new software platform. unless you want to use bbos7 until 2015..
    10-25-11 11:56 PM

RIM is creating a brand new operating system.

Then they had no right lying to us about the status and pending releases of the updates. They had absolutely no right to mislead their consumers by calling the a professional grade enterprise device or whatever BS moniker they gave it. They should have not released the tablet until it was market ready. Lying to us about a not ready for prime time tablet, and then continuing to lie about the status of what's going on with it should be illegal. It's definitely amoral. There's a lawsuit down the road in this...

Shameful performance RIM. Board should be fired/voted out.
    B.
    Chrisy, avaio, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    10-25-11 11:58 PM
    They're not building an entire OS in 10 months. RIM acquired QNX in April of 2010 - I'm sure you meant more than 1 year and 6 months since they had the ideas, visions and some plans prior to acquisition (so likely 2+ years), and they're only building on top of the existing and modified QNX operating system... not starting at line 1.

As far as development is concerned, if you want to be a real competitor you better have a team that can keep pace with Google and Apple, and if you don't you're dead in the water (which is what we're watching happen here).

RIM's ideas are ideas of the past and they can't even execute them before they're made irrelevant by the competition.
    People need to remember that its not 10 months, its been much more then that. The number 10 keeps coming up though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    10-25-11 11:59 PM
    I agree with you to a certain extent, but the problem here is RIM's repeated over sell, under deliver. 60 days after launch has past, summer is over, and it is now after DevCon - RIM has failed to deliver after each of their own stated targets.

The delays have started to become the norm, rather than the exception. As a consumer, you can't help but have your confidence shaken by this disturbing trend. As much as I'm trying to remain somewhat optimistic, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow they miss 2.0 and BBX phones in Q1 2012.

I'm not going to over react and sell off all my BlackBerry devices tomorrow. I'll keep using my 9900 because I'm still quite happy with it. I'll be keeping my PlayBook as well in the interim, but will be looking at other alternatives at some point if the functionality that was said it was going to have does not show up, or takes too long.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    10-26-11 12:03 AM
    I'm thinking maybe RIM said Feb and in reality, it will be released in Jan or Dec. Wont that make them look good when it comes out early and everyone will jump back on the happy bandwagon and we all live happily ever after with our updated PlayBooks.
    Hahahaha.... Riiiiiight. Hey I understand your dream and optimism... Only it will NEVER happen... If anything the opposite is true (they're saying february, but what they're really thinking is "April")... Let's hope I'm wrong.

Basically what RIM has done is removed ALL/ANY excitement from me. I have a 9900 and love it (it will keep me happy a full year)... And I have (since this mornings news) TOTALLY removed all hope of the pb being any more than it is. I don't play video games, so although I can see from reviews and demos that the playbook is starting to sport some great games - but like I said, I don't play video games much, so the playbook is little more than a good browser to me... Which I must say I do enjoy using, it makes for great browsing in comfort anywhere in the house... The bridge functions are alright, but I certainly wouldn't brag on them to others.. And as far as professional business apps... Well... There just aint any. But now I'm rambling... The playbook = one **** of an expensive browser... Such A shame.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 12:05 AM
    in feb they will say " the os update will be in devcon 2012" im kinda pissed up... really love my pb but rim looks like make ppl move to ipad...
    10-26-11 12:22 AM
    I'm thinking maybe RIM said Feb and in reality, it will be released in Jan or Dec.
    The only way in **** that will happen is if you're talking about December 2012 or January 2013... even then that's being optimistic.
    ferganer and ericlc2 like this.
    10-26-11 12:24 AM
    I am leaning to agreeing that there is a lot of overreaction here. Yes another 4 month wait is not ideal, but RIM does have the chance to make this really work for them.

They have already shown that they are reaching out to users about features and functionality for the playbook through the Betazone, hopefuly this consultation will continue not only up to the launch of OS2.0, but well beyond.
    They have also committed to an enterprise beta program to cement their claim that the playbook is a truly professional device. i am hoping that this is complemented by a consumer beta program through betazone along with the updates to the developer beta and some true enterprise grade apps from RIM and other developers.
    As Kevin noted, with CES in January, and playbook OS2.0 slated for release in February, maybe we are looking at the beginning of convergance with the BBX OS, maybe Playbook OS2.0 will be BBX tablet.
    RIM have made some truly horrendous mistakes over the last year, not only with the Playbook, but if they play their cards right over the next 4 months they could just pull off the turnaround they need - a good, quality beta and development program leading to the launch of BBX phones and relaunch of Playbook at CES in January with availability in February especially as there isnt really anything wrong with the Playbook hardware, the relaunch should bring the excitement to existing owners as well.
    Come on RIM, dont let us down..... and we should play our part by responding to surveys, participating in betas wherever possible. Together we could make the Playbook great....
    10-26-11 12:46 AM
    PDSchofield:

It is probably too late. Frankly, the survey is also too late. If they really wanted to know what their users wanted, they could have tuned into Crackberry from the beginning. If you read the survey, the queries all pretty much relate to features that have been suggested over and over.

Granted, maybe they just hired the new guy who is trying to be sincere but, really - now, six months after release. And lies up until now. And another four months. And, what, they can be counted on to add all, some, two of those requests in four months when they have failed miserably to do anything meaningful in six month. The survey is another sop and nothing more.

Obviously, if you want a web viewer and an expensive video player, it really is not bad (although I cannot get google maps to work so it is not exactly a terrific web browser either and I cannot search on a web page so another web fail).

Professional tablet? So far away that it still remains laughable.

Oh, well..........
    10-26-11 01:13 AM
    I agree with you to a certain extent, but the problem here is RIM's repeated over sell, under deliver. 60 days after launch has past, summer is over, and it is now after DevCon - RIM has failed to deliver after each of their own stated targets.

The delays have started to become the norm, rather than the exception. As a consumer, you can't help but have your confidence shaken by this disturbing trend. As much as I'm trying to remain somewhat optimistic, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow they miss 2.0 and BBX phones in Q1 2012.

I'm not going to over react and sell off all my BlackBerry devices tomorrow. I'll keep using my 9900 because I'm still quite happy with it. I'll be keeping my PlayBook as well in the interim, but will be looking at other alternatives at some point if the functionality that was said it was going to have does not show up, or takes too long.
    You know whats even crazier??? It wasn't even a oversell. RIM needed to put out a tablet that can have the MOST BASIC features OTHER tablets were offering. Whats even more crazy the HP Touchpad had native email and native skype! So your quote should be STANDARD, under deliver, STANDARD , under deliver, STANDARD, under deliver.

No wait guys we have BRIDGE! To have the standard features you need a Blackberry Phone to use our TABLET! ROFL.....Good one RIM!!! But if you buy the Playbook now (April 2011) it will have full features (except native BBM rofl...) next year (2012??) and will compete with the Quadcore Ice cream Tablets, Windows 8 tablets, and Ipad 3 IOS5.
    Last edited by darkmanx2g; 10-26-11 at 01:52 AM.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    10-26-11 01:48 AM
    I guess you don't quite understand the nature of people's frustration. They are pissed off because RIM have been constantly overpromising and setting deadlines they probably knew they would never meet given the scale of the project you mentioned. Another issue is the lack of communication.

Quite frankly, I think that RIM and its management lost the sense of direction for a long while and it took them so long to get back on track (not sure if they did). I really doubt that they have been working on anything of substance over the last year to make OS 2.0 happen.

Ohhh I get it now..
    Thanks for explaining that !!
    10-26-11 01:49 AM

I think what OP meant was they are building a new User Interface...which is AWESOME by the way plus a LOT of native apps on top - on top of a brand new hardware platform and processors....AND a new OS (to them) yes I do understand as I am a contract engineer and have seen how projects like this go from inside a lot of doors - the scope of this is huge, especially for an independent company with relatively limited resources..
    nikolas4129 likes this.
    10-26-11 01:52 AM
    Ohhh I get it now..
    Thanks for explaining that !!
    Oh no, it's you again. How is your conspiracy theory working, btw?
    10-26-11 02:12 AM
    Oh no, it's you again. How is your conspiracy theory working, btw?
    Lets goto Best Buy and help RIM sell some Playbooks. I heard they are not turned on and setup to the newest firmware OS 2.0....Oh wait....ROFL
    10-26-11 02:24 AM
    RIM needs to learn from Apple and others - keep your products secret until ready and don't make empty promises on upgrades...if not, frustration grows and they will be distracted further needing to repair their credibility...they seem don't get it that over promising brings nothing but raise their perceived risk of failure......that said, I am very happy with my Bold 9900 and PB..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-26-11 04:41 AM
    I'm starting to feel that RIM owes me money back because I paid too much for what I have right now.
    10-26-11 04:51 AM

Mmm... pretty sure all the QNX engineers and software programmers came to RIM as well. I mean they just didn't buy a CD with QNX on it, right? And they had already built several OS's....
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    10-26-11 04:56 AM
    You are quite correct, I have brought this frustration upon myself, I stupidly expected ( I know I wasnt promised ) native email and BBM after say, only 4 or 5 or 6 months of ownership

I don't want or care about angry birds, farting apps or apps to make my face look big in photos ( it's big enough thanks ) I'm not even that bothered about BBM to be honest, what i expected from the company who built its reputation around push email & BBM is...er...say...native email ?

To clarify expectations RIM should simply put and enormous disclamer across the playbook box which says:-

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BLACKBERRY SMART PHONE
    JBenn911 likes this.
    10-26-11 04:58 AM
148 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD