I'm not really sure why everyone reacts like this. Sure, I was shocked about the 2.0 announcement, wasn't expecting another 4 month wait and yes, the markets are reacting in their own special way. However, the playbook, with 200-300k sold is a tiny part of RIMs 70,000,000 customer base. I think people here overestimate what this delay really means.

Now, a delay of QNX phone until the 2nd half of 2012, that I can see as a problem.
    Of all the garbage spewed during this ordeal this is probably the post that makes the most sense. Well said x!
    10-26-11 06:50 PM
    I cannot imagine where in God's name 70 million installed base comes from. Perhaps sales since inception, but how many world wide active BB users do you think there are now?????? Where in God's name did you come up with that figure. Thin air???? If RIM had 70 million ACTIVE users, do you think the stock would be down about 80%?

I'm not really sure why everyone reacts like this. Sure, I was shocked about the 2.0 announcement, wasn't expecting another 4 month wait and yes, the markets are reacting in their own special way. However, the playbook, with 200-300k sold is a tiny part of RIMs 70,000,000 customer base. I think people here overestimate what this delay really means.

Now, a delay of QNX phone until the 2nd half of 2012, that I can see as a problem.
    10-26-11 06:56 PM
    I cannot imagine where in God's name 70 million installed base comes from. Perhaps sales since inception, but how many world wide active BB users do you think there are now?????? Where in God's name did you come up with that figure. Thin air???? If RIM had 70 million ACTIVE users, do you think the stock would be down about 80%?
    It was from DevCon...70 million active users up from 50 million last year.
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-26-11 07:03 PM
    I love when people zoom in on a chart and declare the sky is falling - the same trick with climate change.
    Look at this perspective, instead of a three day slice and you will see RIMM is in the same place as a month ago, actually better.

October 4 RIMM 19.65
    Close today 20.72 going up in after hours trading.

Overreacting? I think so.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-26-11 at 07:35 PM.
    10-26-11 07:27 PM
    Rim against Nasdaq

Guess which colour rim represents?
    notfanboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-26-11 07:55 PM
    I love when people zoom in on a chart and declare the sky is falling - the same trick with climate change.
    Look at this perspective, instead of a three day slice and you will see RIMM is in the same place as a month ago, actually better.

October 4 RIMM 19.65
    Close today 20.72 going up in after hours trading.

Overreacting? I think so.
    Do not ever enter a game when you have no clue as to the rules and victory conditions.

Wanna talk zooming out??? Check out RIMM's ten year chart.

Research in Motion 10 year performance

Notice the price spike around $150/share.

What is it now? What was the quote? Around freaking $20!!!!!!
    Overreacting??? Huh?!?! What? I would say stockholders and customers had good reason to be outraged!

Overreacting? Oh, i think you now see clearly....

And what do you say now???
    notfanboy and belsunce like this.
    10-26-11 09:43 PM
    Do not ever enter a game when you have no clue as to the rules and victory conditions.

Wanna talk zooming out??? Check out RIMM's ten year chart.

Research in Motion 10 year performance

Notice the price spike around $150/share.

What is it now? What was the quote? Around freaking $20!!!!!!
    Overreacting??? Huh?!?! What? I would say stockholders and customers had good reason to be outraged!

Overreacting? Oh, i think you now see clearly....

And what do you say now???
    Same thing - you're missing the point - its no secret RIM stock has dropped dramatically over the longer term.

A 7 percent drop today is supposed to indicate some downward trend because of yesterdays news? Overeaction - stocks react quickly to bad news every day because of panic and shortselling....

No indication of a trend with such a short sample like the three day span shown by a poster above.

My point is it's just a normal fluctuation. No indication that the sky is falling further...or the demise of RIM is at hand....or the end of the world...
    10-26-11 09:49 PM
    The sky is not falling nor is it the end of the world. But rim's sky is falling and we will have to watch if it is their end of world.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-27-11 12:00 AM
    Same thing - you're missing the point - its no secret RIM stock has dropped dramatically over the longer term.

A 7 percent drop today is supposed to indicate some downward trend because of yesterdays news? Overeaction - stocks react quickly to bad news every day because of panic and shortselling....

No indication of a trend with such a short sample like the three day span shown by a poster above.

My point is it's just a normal fluctuation. No indication that the sky is falling further...or the demise of RIM is at hand....or the end of the world...
    I am starting to believe you arent sincerely optimistic but in reality a pro-rim troll.

Your answer shows either you do nor see what is going on- you obviously have no grasp of the stock market- or like a few (dwindling) others you simply defend RIM at all costs with blind, unfounded fanaticism.

Stocks trend like stairs... one step up or one step down means nothing by itself, but when coupled with the rest of the steps you see where it takes you.

A glance at that chart again shows a stead decline from a peak in the 150's.... and 7% is considered quite a move one way or the other; given it is in the tail end of a several month long trend of moving down on a day the same market sector trended up means, yea, it is an indication of the fact that the stock is still tanking.

Not the end of the world... the world is doing quite nicely. It's RIM that is spiraling out of control. Were you in a plane in a nose dive free fall, would it be prudent to tell the passenger next to you "so we just lost another 7% of our altitude.. means nothing?"

...meanwhile the hard ground approaches quickly.

Means nothing indeed...
    Chrisy and kevinnugent like this.
    10-27-11 05:59 AM
    BJ may be right. What's a 7% drop when the company has already lost 86%?
    10-27-11 06:53 AM
    Do I hear "fire sale" of RIMM shares?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-11 08:24 AM
    Don't let all the talk of crumbling market-share fool you. That is North America only! RIM owns the UK and have steady growth in many other parts of the world. World wide 70 million is easily plausible.
    10-27-11 09:35 AM
    Don't let all the talk of crumbling market-share fool you. That is North America only! RIM owns the UK and have steady growth in many other parts of the world. World wide 70 million is easily plausible.
    Keep in mind the key to RIM's success overseas isnt that the market is choosing it as a better quality device... but the competing devices are more expensive, as most other countries do not have carriers that subsidize part of the phone cost in exchange for a contract. If you want an iphone 4s, you will pay $800, NOT $199 + a signature.

10-27-11 09:42 AM
    If I had extra money and could invest for the long term instead of hoping for quick profits, I'd buy RIMM stocks. It may still go down lower but I think in the somewhat longer term 2-3 years it will go up.

That is just my opinion, I am no super investor or else I'd be rich.

10-27-11 11:21 AM
    Not sure if anyone is watching the markets - RIM is taking a pounding today. Not Netflix levels but still pretty bad, down 7% through mid afternoon on Wednesday (Oct 26th). I am guessing it is due to the news announcement yesterday (V2.0 delayed through Feb).

Note, the rest of the market is generally up - S&P up 92 pts, dow jones 134 pts nasdaq 41 pts.

Not good...
    Over reacting..??

10-27-11 11:25 AM
    Yup. And BBM is apparently the major reason why RIM owns the UK and why a sizable proportion of that UK BB market is youngsters - txts cost money and BBM is free.

Just as well QNX seems to work so well with BBM, it would be a disaster for RIM if their USP didn't work with the upcoming QNX phones. Oh... wait...
    10-27-11 02:40 PM
    it just seems to me like this company's going nowhere good fast, and with Apple, Android and WP7 (Mango's supposedly pretty decent), do we reeeeally need a fourth, flailing player in the mobile game? competition's always a good thing but who is RIM competing with at this point? Nortel, for who's the biggest joke in the tech industry?

you had a good run while it lasted but it's time to close shop.
    10-27-11 05:19 PM
    One thing I noticed... HMV no longer carries PlayBooks nor the accessories for it, strange timing.

Also Telus discontinued the 16GB model, they probably want the 32GB and 64GB to actually sell.
    10-27-11 05:51 PM
    and say if the RIM stock price is back up today, was that an indication that there was an overreaction........or is the stock price just a poor standard to judge RIM...hmmm
    10-27-11 06:04 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD