Not sure if anyone is watching the markets - RIM is taking a pounding today. Not Netflix levels but still pretty bad, down 7% through mid afternoon on Wednesday (Oct 26th). I am guessing it is due to the news announcement yesterday (V2.0 delayed through Feb).

Note, the rest of the market is generally up - S&P up 92 pts, dow jones 134 pts nasdaq 41 pts.

Not good...
    10-26-11 01:47 PM
    RIMMs stock price is driven by take over rumors at this point. Amazon is the only real contender that I can see at this point, Microsoft, Google and Apple all have better solutions in place and would not be interested in RIMs legacy technology.
    belsunce likes this.
    10-26-11 01:53 PM
    10-26-11 01:53 PM
    Just wait till the quarter results after they miss the holiday season...
    10-26-11 01:54 PM
    And to top it off; now a class action suit is being launched against RIM for their outage. Interestingly, the media, at least in Vancouver, are tieing the class action suit not only to the outage but also the delay in OS 2.0.
    RIMMs stock price is driven by take over rumors at this point. Amazon is the only real contender that I can see at this point, Microsoft, Google and Apple all have better solutions in place and would not be interested in RIMs legacy technology.
    I agree somewhat, though this latest drop is due to this new release - look at the graph right above. That's showing today and yesterday.

Dropped off a cliff.
    Nokia is probably up since some new Windows Phones were announced, even though the new ones are overseas only, not for North America.
    10-26-11 01:57 PM
    OP: No question.
    (Not to quote exactly) RIM's CEO said that there would be native email and android sometime in the summer ... then ... at the last quarterly report something was said about a big bang OS2 release some time after DEVCON. Based upon history, with now said nothing coming until an unlikely February (almost one YEAR after PB release), it is easy to lose faith in the RIM organization.

WOW! this is the hottest thread of the day.
    Last edited by mandony; 10-26-11 at 02:05 PM.
    10-26-11 01:58 PM
    Dow is up 123, S&P is up 10, Apple and google are both up as well.

Whenever a tech company is moving down and the rest of their competition and market is going up, it's usually not a good sign.
    anon(4018671) and sookster54 like this.
    10-26-11 01:59 PM
    A price earnings ratio of 3.81?!?!

This has become junk stock. You cant tell me it isnt largely due to RIM just spitting on its customers, can you? Holy MOLEY....

Down from 70 just within a year.

Spin that, fanbois.

Dow is up 123, S&P is up 10, Apple and google are both up as well.

Whenever a tech company is moving down and the rest of their competition and market is going up, it's usually not a good sign.
    Not just tech stocks.... ANY stock down trending that badly when the market is up... And ESPECIALLY when other stocks in the same sector are uptrending... This is bad bad. This rules this market fluctuations.. This is the investment and the financial world clearly sending a signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kb5zht; 10-26-11 at 02:02 PM.
    10-26-11 01:59 PM
    ahh, the irony - look what just arrived via UPS...
    RubberBroke likes this.
    10-26-11 02:00 PM
    And to top it off; now a class action suit is being launched against RIM for their outage. Interestingly, the media, at least in Vancouver, are tieing the class action suit not only to the outage but also the delay in OS 2.0.
    That won't really affect anything. Stuff like that happens all the time and doesn't really translate into market results. It's due to all the other factors...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-26-11 02:01 PM
    Just wait till the quarter results after they miss the holiday season...
    Don't see RIM having any "good" news until they actually release the new QNX/BBX Phone next year... and it being fully operational with no "we will have that ready in a few months" disclaimers.

But even then, not sure most people will care by that time.
    FF22, OnTopic and mandony like this.
    10-26-11 02:06 PM
    I'm not really sure why everyone reacts like this. Sure, I was shocked about the 2.0 announcement, wasn't expecting another 4 month wait and yes, the markets are reacting in their own special way. However, the playbook, with 200-300k sold is a tiny part of RIMs 70,000,000 customer base. I think people here overestimate what this delay really means.

Now, a delay of QNX phone until the 2nd half of 2012, that I can see as a problem.
    Laura Knotek, bpdude and kbz1960 like this.
    10-26-11 02:08 PM
    Now, a delay of QNX phone until the 2nd half of 2012, that I can see as a problem.
    At this point though, would such a delay really surprise you? Not trolling, I'm looking for your honest opinion here.
    10-26-11 02:09 PM
    Hate to say it but No, it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

At this point though, would such a delay really surprise you? Not trolling, I'm looking for your honest opinion here.
    10-26-11 02:12 PM
    I'm not really sure why everyone reacts like this. Sure, I was shocked about the 2.0 announcement, wasn't expecting another 4 month wait and yes, the markets are reacting in their own special way. However, the playbook, with 200-300k sold is a tiny part of RIMs 70,000,000 customer base. I think people here overestimate what this delay really means.

While I agree with you, this is a small part of the overall picture. Unfortunately, the wheels seem to be falling off in every part of their business. Blackberry trade ins are at an all time high recently, (find it somewhere on here), and the PlayBook hasn't exactly been profitable.

While this delay doesn't really change things much, it sort of symbolizes what this company has become.
    10-26-11 02:14 PM
    I have to agree with this based on their recent performance. I'm hoping they can pull it back together. If they miss the 1st half of 2012 with QNX phones, well, it won't be pretty. I know at least two of them will be fired.

While I agree with you, this is a small part of the overall picture. Unfortunately, the wheels seem to be falling off in every part of their business. Blackberry trade ins are at an all time high recently, (find it somewhere on here), and the PlayBook hasn't exactly been profitable.

While this delay doesn't really change things much, it sort of symbolizes what this company has become.
    10-26-11 02:17 PM

Actually you would be a d*mn fool for believing ANY rim timeline. They miss them all. They just cannot get anything out in a timely manner. Feb 17 is just as much a pipe dream as q2 for qnx phones. No way will the qnx phones be until about this time next year i bet.

Coders working 10-12 hours a day for almost a year and its still in this sad shape? Geeez...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 02:17 PM
    I think pretty much all of us could even see late 2012 for qnx phones unless they completely drop the playbook support and go all out on the phones. Even then, it will be bad for them either way, so....
    mandony likes this.
    10-26-11 02:20 PM
    Stock is now down -7.5%!!!!!
    belsunce likes this.
    10-26-11 02:27 PM
    I think pretty much all of us could even see late 2012 for qnx phones unless they completely drop the playbook support and go all out on the phones. Even then, it will be bad for them either way, so....
    I agree somewhat but they do not need to drop Playbook support as the OS for Playbook will be BBX. This is just like iOS is for iPhone/iPod/iPad. BBX will be a unified OS that will run on either form factor so dropping the Playbook won't help. However I do agree that I don't believe 2Q2012 for the BBX phones.
    10-26-11 02:35 PM

Which is what exactly? A company in transition that is changing its OS while introducing new products? Overly ambitious and a late bloomer?
    10-26-11 02:44 PM
    Is it really going to be a unified OS though? Are all the apps going to use the exact same version on phones compared to a tablet when the physical screen size and inputs will be totally different? I highly doubt it... They also have PB specific dev tools and simulators.

Even then, theoretically they should just drop the BB7 updates right now as well. Too many projects and none of them are on-time (except for BB7, which is why they shouldn't really be bothering with BB7.1 right now). They also are busy trying to fix the theme builder for bb7 while their tablet platform is about to die now that they brought this latest info to light.

The android player is actually a small concern now... Apps don't matter if you can't even get your platform out with basic functionality in a window that people will actually care about.
    Air Force One and kbz1960 like this.
    10-26-11 02:44 PM

Just like the downgrade of US credit, I view this as a loss in confidence in management at RIM to set the ship back on course. Agreed, this one piece of news shouldn't send the stock reeling, but I think this is the 10th straw which makes people wonder if this is a repeating pattern...
    10-26-11 03:46 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD