hey guys, just wanted to ask if the playbook getting hot for periods of time is bad. im asking this cos i was playing shadowgun on the train for about 45 mins, and the playboolk has heated up (as you would expect when playing a game like this) and iw as wondering if i should stop or if its ok to continue... im paranoid my playbook will stop working as smoothly later on lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-17-12 10:56 AM
    I've not done any hard core gaming on my PB yet but I have done some pretty intensive presentations. Most of my presentations are about an hour and I generally bridge my phone as a remote. Afterwards the PB is pretty hot but I've not seen any damage or affect on performance after about 14 months of using my PB as my primary device over my lap top.
    10-17-12 11:13 AM
    Just play your games and enjoy it. The Battery Guru app can display the reported temp in the exported file if you're curious.
    10-17-12 11:24 AM
    Overheating is bad for any electronic device, but getting hot doesn't necessarily mean overheating. If the device reaches a heat level beyond the recommended TDP, it should shut-down.
    Chaddface, kbz1960 and madman0141 like this.
    10-17-12 11:40 AM
    Are you using some type of case when it's getting hot? The PlayBook at times will get warm but it shouldn't be getting hot.
    10-17-12 11:57 AM
    thanks guys!! yes i have a case for my playbook... it doesnt get hot when not gaming or using intensive apps.. only when ive played games for long periods of time.. and i agree with the above comment of it getting hotter but not actually overheating! i stand corrected, its not overheated but jst getting very hot due to heavy game usage...

im jst wondering if i can continue to game consistently (say an hour a day) and for the heat level it gets to not to affect the playbook or os...

although the bridging and presentation for 14 months has put my mind at ease!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-17-12 12:06 PM
    When I play games for a while, it often becomes noticeably warmer, at which point I usually stop for a while (I'm generally bored by then anyway, I have a sort attention span) and let it cool down. When using my PB for stuff like internet browsing or reading PDFs or whatever, it's usually fine.
    10-17-12 12:17 PM
    Streaming videos warms up the PB too. I have been doing that since April 2011. Removing the case would probably cool it down a bit. As Mike said, the PB should shut down before any damage occurs.
    I found my Wife's PB this morning plugged into the TV with screen on, in a case, sitting on top of the warm turned on A/V receiver. It's all charged up and running fine.
    10-17-12 12:26 PM
    I went down to Illinois from Ontario once, and I left my playbook in the van for the day and it was a really hot day. It took 6hrs to boot up. But that is an extreme case.
    10-17-12 12:37 PM
    Mine gets rather warm when playing a game for awhile. I also take a break just to make sure it doesn't overheat (and a break is probably a good thing for me as well ).
    10-17-12 04:27 PM
    I don't know about the playbook, but have you felt your hands afterwards? I was playing lara croft game on pb and the pb got really hot then when I put it down my hands felt weird like kind of numb n funny feeling, like when using a laptop un your lap without anything to hold it. I don't think that safe x(
    10-17-12 04:36 PM
    Your PlayBook is just getting warm it will not overheat from playing games. Believe in the BlackBerry.
    10-17-12 04:38 PM
    Your PlayBook is just getting warm it will not overheat from playing games. Believe in the BlackBerry.
    It has nothing to do with "the Blackberry", it's the way SOCs are designed.
    10-17-12 04:57 PM
    How about that PB bulge on the back? Mine's got warm-hot a few times. It is in a case. I'm afraid to look
    10-18-12 09:08 AM