Haven't used Overdrive for a long time, but decided we should make more use of our on-line library.
    App still appears to function, but we are unable to log in to our accounts. It says to choose our library. It is listed, so we do. But after choosing it, app just reverts back to where we just chose the library.
    We were able to log in via the Overdrive.com website. But the website seems unstable and unusable on the Playbook. Even using different browsers. It works fine on laptop.
    Anyone have similar issues?
    Anyone know if we can download a book using laptop and then transfer it to the Playbook?

Our main use of PB is as a book reader. And occasionally to read incoming emails while reading. So would like to be able to read library e-books.
    11-22-18 05:00 PM
    The OverDrive app hasn't been supported on PlayBook in years now, so chances are they changed a few things that caused it to break. And yes, you can transfer books to your playBook using your computer, but the problem you'll run into is finding an app that still works and can read whatever files it is that you're looking to load. There's some suggestions here - https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ybook-1034676/ but keep in mind they're also from 2015.
    11-22-18 07:13 PM
    Our main use of PB is as a book reader
    The Playepub Book Reader app for the PlayBook is unbeatable for a book reader app. I think it is now free in BBW. And as Bla1ze has said, you can download to your PC then transfer to the PlayBook. The major problem with the PlayBook as an e-book reader imo is the heavy weight. Modern e-book readers are so much lighter.
    11-22-18 08:33 PM
    I have in the past transferred epub files to my Playbook. Used email or Dropbox but also had possibility of Skydrive or Google Drive. This with Files and Folders app.
    I have Calibre installed and so far have been unable to transfer to Playbook using email transfer. Just get errors. I tried emailing file directly using Gmail, and it gives errors saying it didn't like attachment.
    In Files and Folders, Dropbox no longer works (some sort of error about V1??) I can log into Skydrive and list the files, but they don't appear to be up to date compared with my laptop Onedrive (which used to be Skydrive)
    Haven't tried using cable.
    Even if I get the library epub transferred, not sure what app will read the Adobe Digital Editions file. Maybe Overdrive still will.
    At present, Kobo still works fine. But only for books we buy from them.
    Was hoping to be able to use our library. I seem to recall nce having a way to strip DRM from the only library epub I ever dowloaded, just so I could read it with Playbook.
    Maybe I should give up on this?
    11-23-18 11:32 AM
    I have in the past transferred epub files to my Playbook. Used email or Dropbox but also had possibility of Skydrive or Google Drive. This with Files and Folders app.
    I have Calibre installed and so far have been unable to transfer to Playbook using email transfer. Just get errors. I tried emailing file directly using Gmail, and it gives errors saying it didn't like attachment.
    In Files and Folders, Dropbox no longer works (some sort of error about V1??) I can log into Skydrive and list the files, but they don't appear to be up to date compared with my laptop Onedrive (which used to be Skydrive)
    Haven't tried using cable.
    Even if I get the library epub transferred, not sure what app will read the Adobe Digital Editions file. Maybe Overdrive still will.
    At present, Kobo still works fine. But only for books we buy from them.
    Was hoping to be able to use our library. I seem to recall nce having a way to strip DRM from the only library epub I ever dowloaded, just so I could read it with Playbook.
    Maybe I should give up on this?
    It's a lot of trouble and you can get a new device fairly cheaply nowadays. Just so you know, I have (and can send you) working versions of DropBox, Box , and OneDrive (all android .apk). OneDrive still works well with my copy of Files and Folders but Box and DropBox will no longer work. Despite this, you can still transfer epubs from ANY of those cloud services. I just did it with all 3. You can then find those downloads using Files and Folders or any other File Manager for that matter and view them on Playepub.

Edit: also just tried sending epub by email to the Playepub email sync function and it also works fine. Did not try gmail, though.
    Last edited by brookie229; 11-23-18 at 01:36 PM.
    11-23-18 01:08 PM
    I was able to transfer an epub file using Onedrive and Skylink on Files & Folders. Moved file to Books. But because I had used a DRM protected library file, I could not open it with Bookreader or Playepub. I had hoped I would be able to access it using the Playbook Overdrive app. That app comes up with a dozen or so books that I had previously downloaded to PB and read. I can still open those books and read them on Overdrive. But I could not find where Overdrive stores the books it comes up with on opening page so could not add my new book to Overdrive. Playepub "suggests" that DRM can be removed. That is a work around but would add another step.
    With Black Friday sales, I did look at alternatives to PB. But maybe there is some life yet in our PBs, just so long as we just use Kobo, Bookreader/Playepub for unprotected epubs, email and forget about browsing. Many sites these days just wont load on any of the browsers. Or they hang up, probably due to some web page "feature" that is not supported on PB.
    11-24-18 03:02 PM
    I was able to transfer an epub file using Onedrive and Skylink on Files & Folders. Moved file to Books. But because I had used a DRM protected library file, I could not open it with Bookreader or Playepub. I had hoped I would be able to access it using the Playbook Overdrive app. That app comes up with a dozen or so books that I had previously downloaded to PB and read. I can still open those books and read them on Overdrive. But I could not find where Overdrive stores the books it comes up with on opening page so could not add my new book to Overdrive. Playepub "suggests" that DRM can be removed. That is a work around but would add another step.
    With Black Friday sales, I did look at alternatives to PB. But maybe there is some life yet in our PBs, just so long as we just use Kobo, Bookreader/Playepub for unprotected epubs, email and forget about browsing. Many sites these days just wont load on any of the browsers. Or they hang up, probably due to some web page "feature" that is not supported on PB.
    Yes, the browser experience is just plain painful as the PB has not been updated for 5 years or so.
    11-24-18 03:35 PM
    Edit: also just tried sending epub by email to the Playepub email sync function and it also works fine. Did not try gmail, though.
    Had a look at the Playepub email - But it wants a POP account and we have imap these days.
    Question: I emailed an epub to my wife's PB. It arrives fine. When I tap on the attachment it appears to download, but then says it could not open attachment. The file does not show up in downloads or anywhere I have looked. How do I save the attached epub?
    Rather than go through everything twice, I was hoping I could just send an epub to my wife via email.
    I used to be able to transfer files by wifi, but either forgotten how or I just don't know what addresses to use in Files & Folders (or was it Ghost Commander) Anyway, still working on it, but it is frustrating!
    11-24-18 07:55 PM
    Ok, got a work around. I put the epub on Onedrive on my laptop. I can log into Onedrive/Skydrive from my PB, but also from my wife's PB. On both, I move the file from my Skydrive to downloads (or books) and then access the book from Bookreader for epub (which we are used to using). This works! I think I am done
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-24-18 08:13 PM
    I feel kind of dumb. It is so much easier to move files to PB using a cable and the BB Desktop app.
    Some books won't work on my old BookReader app. Playepub seems to work well now I have it set up.
    04-08-19 07:59 PM