I'm very surprised to see that with the Playbook being over a year old, nobody has yet developed a native Ad-Blocker yet.
    05-22-12 11:16 AM
    I'm very surprised to see that with the Playbook being over a year old, nobody has yet developed a native Ad-Blocker yet.
    Simple Browser+ contains one.
    05-22-12 11:45 AM
    Simple Browser+ contains one.
    I'm aware of that, but I would prefer an ad blocker for the native Playbook browser. I tried Simple Browser and found it had far too many shortcomings for my liking.
    05-22-12 12:58 PM
    i wish the creator of simple browser would update it...

it hasn't had any update for months.
    05-22-12 01:06 PM
    The native browser has no extension mechanism, so it would be rather difficult to ... extend it.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    05-22-12 01:39 PM
    Maybe it will be possible with the new native browser in 2.1
    05-22-12 02:20 PM
    I'm aware of that, but I would prefer an ad blocker for the native Playbook browser. I tried Simple Browser and found it had far too many shortcomings for my liking.
    There's no way to do that. Possibly it could be done with root, but that's not possible on the last few OS versions.

I doubt RIM will add extension capabilities to the native browser, that would represent a notable security hole in what is probably the most secure tablet based browser in the world.

So in short, you will probably never get ad blocking in the native browser. One option though is to use DNS level ad blocking with OpenDNS. Set your tablet to use OpenDNS and configure it to block ad hosting domains. More info here: Useful Free Tool: Use OpenDNS to Block Ads - UNEASYsilence

The downside to this method is it only works on a network where you know your playbook's IP address, as OpenDNS will only block the URLs you set for the IP address(es) you set. For browsing at home or whatever, it should work at least a bit. Obviously not as good as a native ad block.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    05-22-12 02:27 PM
    It would probably require root access to do system wide or with the native browser. Simple Browser achieves it by filtering the domain names at the browser level. In other words if a domain name is in the no go list, it just gets redirected to local host.

With root access a /etc/hosts based ad blocker list could be used. This is what I use on my Mac now; the offending sites are mapped to a null address.
    05-22-12 02:42 PM
    Any progress on this front?
    04-14-13 08:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD