hi guys i have a torch 9800 and a 64gb playbook. love them both but my feelings are that i am over working my poor torch with the bridge and tethering net constanly also it is always bluetoothed to my stereo and playing podtrapper or music. i love it as it bring entertainment and my office to my tractor seat. should i be looking at handing down my phone every 12 months or does it not matter to the physical phone how much data it moves? the torch does get warm and is always connected to power but sometimes it gets to a stage of heat that it doesn't allow charging any more and the phone will drain its battery quite quickly when downloading via podtrapper or tunein radio.
    love the forums guys and the great knowledge base.
    thanks again
    06-29-11 05:53 PM
    I don't know but I tether usb with my bb daily and don't seem to have any trouble with my battery yet. But I don't use it much when not tethered.
    06-29-11 05:59 PM
    if its getting really hot then it could shorten the life of the battery and the hardware but at the end of the day its designed for shifting data, its a blackberry after all

if it seriously overheats it'll shut itself down before it bricks, or it should anyway.

In terms of battery life, running all the radios and pumping high volumes of data through them it will dramatically shorten the run time, to give some idea my old htc hd2 would only get around 4 hours of use as a gps before it gave up (although its battery life was pretty shocking most days anyway!)
    06-29-11 06:04 PM
    Its all good both can handle it.
    06-29-11 06:11 PM
    I have the same devices you have (Torch and 64G Playbook) and since April 21st when I got all configure I've never (ok... almost never) turned my bridge off... yes it get warm some times but as Donnee said... It's a BB!!! So don't worry... maybe (and I want to be emphatic about the "maybe") Blackberry is not the fanciest phone on the market, but they certainly are among the toughest...
    06-29-11 08:41 PM
    OP I bridge and tether all day long and don't notice any heat issues, it does get warm, but not hot when it's charging. It should be fine, but since I haven't had the issue I'm not sure. When it gets too hot it can ruin your battery. What OS are you running on the torch? Not sure how much it matters but might be a start
    06-29-11 08:54 PM
    OP I bridge and tether all day long and don't notice any heat issues, it does get warm, but not hot when it's charging. It should be fine, but since I haven't had the issue I'm not sure. When it gets too hot it can ruin your battery. What OS are you running on the torch? Not sure how much it matters but might be a start
    i am running 6.0.0.526 and i think i should change my battery in a few months, its good to have a spare anyway.
    would the level of reception alter the power use, as l am 40km from my nearest tower and seem to avereage 3 bars.
    thanks
    06-29-11 10:30 PM
    I'm not sure about level of reception but if your phone is searching for reception then yes that can drain a battery fast.
    06-30-11 04:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD