02-10-12 06:24 PM
62 123
tools
    I don't refute the significance of 'technological convergence'... but I think you and I are not even on the same subject. I was merely trying to point out that the Kindle Fire and Playbook (both being Android-capable devices, supposedly) should be able to run the same games (being that the hardware required to run them - the CPU and Video processors - are the same between them, with the PB of course having twice the RAM). But because of limitations/restrictions RIM has implemented in QNX, the only way to run certain Android games/apps successfully on the PB is if the developer makes the necessary changes to the code itself. The developer doesn't have to do this to get their program running on the Kindle Fire, but they do have to do this to get it to run on the Playbook. RIM is putting obstacles in the way, and hoops for developers to jump through (and the developers at this point have little incentive to do so).
    No, I am replying to your original post in this conversation that has set this thread off on a tangent - to clarify the inaccuracies in your judgement of the PlayBook.

Which was:

I'm already regretting the purchase of my Playbook, now that i've seen the apps and games available for Android devices. It's quite evident RIM rushed out the Playbook a year earlier than it should have... they could at least make it easier for us to run Android apps.. I mean, the functionality is there, and it's ridiculous that something like the Kindle Fire *with the same hardware as the Playbook* already craps all over it, despite being out for much shorter amount of time.

Knowing what I know now, I can honestly say the Playbook, even with $199 for the base model, is selling for more than its worth.
    I was replying to those comments above regarding why the PlayBook is certainly WORTH $199, versus your love for the Kindle Fire. The extra RAM, Storage & additional hardware components, etc.

Also you saying that it is difficult to install Android Apps on the device is unfair, considering this is not the intended path for the consumer.

Those items, I was correcting from your original post.
    02-09-12 04:30 PM
    No wonder the 64GB are always out of stock online, Their all in that freaking store.
    LMAO! Staples is also sold out now as well.
    02-09-12 06:08 PM
    Drop by my local Future shop and was surprised to see all the unsold PBs. No wonder RIM is discounting them. How many more does RIM have in stock?
    They are fresh stock. Your making it sound pb is not selling well.

02-09-12 06:34 PM
    There's only one FS in the Halifax area with lots of stock in 16 and 32 but their "display" is a disgrace so no wonder.

Everywhere else (Walmart, Staples, etc) tell me they're moving all 3 vers fast.
    02-09-12 07:41 PM
    No, I am replying to your original post in this conversation that has set this thread off on a tangent - to clarify the inaccuracies in your judgement of the PlayBook.

Which was:

I was replying to those comments above regarding why the PlayBook is certainly WORTH $199, versus your love for the Kindle Fire. The extra RAM, Storage & additional hardware components, etc.

Also you saying that it is difficult to install Android Apps on the device is unfair, considering this is not the intended path for the consumer.

Those items, I was correcting from your original post.

We will have to agree to disagree, then. If RIM and the public actually thought the Playbook was worth something, RIM would not be taking a loss on each unit just to get them blown out the door.

I will admit I erred in buying one.. most of the time I do my research before dropping a couple hundred or more $$'s on something, and this time I didn't. Oops!
    Last edited by BennyX; 02-09-12 at 07:47 PM.
    02-09-12 07:45 PM
    We will have to agree to disagree, then. If RIM and the public actually thought the Playbook was worth something, RIM would not be taking a loss on each unit just to get them blown out the door.

I will admit I erred in buying one.. most of the time I do my research before dropping a couple hundred or more $$'s on something, and this time I didn't. Oops!
    You assume they are taking a loss. This is a strategy for everyone to get pb @ breakeven cost.

Remember Microsoft they let everyone to pirate dos and windows @ the early stage of the os. Now they have the biggest share of desktop and laptop os.
    Last edited by auditman; 02-09-12 at 08:39 PM.
    02-09-12 08:36 PM
    I work at the electronics at Toronto walmart. When they first went to 199 we were sold out like crazy. We we stuffed with 32 and 64s we couldn't convince people to pay an extra 100 for the 32 or more.

When we heard the price was going down again we stocked up with 16s for boxing day we sold slot but then the 298 sale came along and all people wanted was the 64 or at least the 32s.

But after that with the price going back to 198, 248, and 298. Coupled with increased popularity, word of mouth and the fact that 16s run out of space fast for the media lovers and hd apps we now overloaded with 16s from boxing day

but now we can't keep the 32s or 64s in stock even open boxed discounted ones, which I think is a good sign, the 16s still sell but not as fast as before or the higher models and sometimes they tend to get returned in favor of the bigger storage versions
    Last edited by jayemmbee; 02-09-12 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Forma
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-09-12 11:49 PM
    ^ would you like to price match a 32gb playbook for me?
    lol

or give me a good deal on the charging dock?
    Last edited by FSeverino; 02-10-12 at 12:06 AM.
    02-10-12 12:04 AM
    You assume they are taking a loss. This is a strategy for everyone to get pb @ breakeven cost.

Remember Microsoft they let everyone to pirate dos and windows @ the early stage of the os. Now they have the biggest share of desktop and laptop os.

The problem with that line of logic is that there is a real physical product being sold, that costs 'X' amount of dollars to manufacture, and if it's being sold at a loss the company loses money. Software is intangible, so if someone pirates it, they are not stealing a physical object that has a definite physical/fixed cost to it. One only has to look at Sony or Microsoft with their consoles... over the past two generations of consoles, both companies sold them at a loss. If you add up the billions that cost those companies over the past 10 years, you have to ask if it was really worth it? Only in the past year or so have both companies even begun to make any profit from all those consoles they subsidized over the past 7 years or so, and now the next generation is due and they have to do it all over again. MS never even made a profit on the first XBox. How is that a sustainable business model? Both companies have relied on their other divisions to keep afloat, and if it wasn't for those divisions, both companies would have been sunk a long time ago from the losses.

A somewhat telling sign that RIM is selling the PB at a loss is that they've already written off the value of unsold PB inventory once.. back in December. That was to the tune of $485 million. (so that's what.. definitely less than 1 million Playbooks, accounting for their actual cost (a guestimate) and depending on how many were manufactured of each model). That writedown is to cover the losses they are now taking on each PB sold, and the *only* reason they are selling now is due to the fire sale pricing. HP's tablet sold like hotcakes, too (once the price plummeted) despite everyone knowing full well that it was being discontinued and no further support would be given to it. RIM is still trying to woo developers, but when you have to literally *give away your product* in an attempt to lure people into developing for it, that's a sign of desperation and doesn't reflect well on a company.

And to go slightly off-topic.. regarding your comment about MS being 'on top' because they allowed everyone to pirate their stuff in the early days.. I would say the piracy helped get the product into more hands, but it was IBM that first gave MS the foothold in the x86 business, and then MS' shady business practices took care of the rest. Both these elements ensured plenty of profit to offset the number of pirated installations. If not for these 2 elements, piracy would have stunted Microsoft's growth enough that they would not be a player today (and probably would not even exist).
    Last edited by BennyX; 02-10-12 at 02:42 PM.
    conix67 likes this.
    02-10-12 01:57 PM
    I work at the electronics at Toronto walmart. When they first went to 199 we were sold out like crazy. We we stuffed with 32 and 64s we couldn't convince people to pay an extra 100 for the 32 or more.

When we heard the price was going down again we stocked up with 16s for boxing day we sold slot but then the 298 sale came along and all people wanted was the 64 or at least the 32s.

But after that with the price going back to 198, 248, and 298. Coupled with increased popularity, word of mouth and the fact that 16s run out of space fast for the media lovers and hd apps we now overloaded with 16s from boxing day

but now we can't keep the 32s or 64s in stock even open boxed discounted ones, which I think is a good sign, the 16s still sell but not as fast as before or the higher models and sometimes they tend to get returned in favor of the bigger storage versions
    Jayemmbee....can you point me to a store that has 64gb in stock?

I need one and last week went to four Toronto area stores that showed in-stock on the webonly to find that the only stock was in 'claims'
    02-10-12 02:57 PM
    Jayemmbee....can you point me to a store that has 64gb in stock?

I need one and last week went to four Toronto area stores that showed in-stock on the webonly to find that the only stock was in 'claims'
    Out of curiousity, is it really vital for you to be able to access 64GB of data at any given time? I mean.. the PB is perfectly capable of accessing shares or NAS's... where you can access, say, movies or mp3's.. have the data streamed to the PB where it can be decoded and played..

RIM doesn't include an SD Card slot on the PB. That's so it can sell the higher-gig models of Playbook. But honestly, do you *really* need 64 GB of storage at your fingertips?
    02-10-12 03:36 PM
    One of an eReaders major strengths is the eInk screen which permits reading on the beach or in bright sunlight.
    There are a lot of very unhappy snowbirds with Kindle fires, which can't do what they want it to do. Read outdoors.
    So an eReader became a bad tablet.
    02-10-12 06:24 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD