So after I got my PB I bought an Otterbox Defender. Great case. One problem.

I have a fingerprint on the inside of the screen. So I figure I'll take it apart and clean it.

I can't get the damn thing back apart. I've pulled and tugged. And tried a little screwdriver to pry it. I don't want to have take a Dremel tool and cut if off. How do you get the thing back apart?
    12-12-11 04:12 PM
    it took me about an hour with my fingers... and i ended up cracking the frame of the front where it clips in near the headphone jack :/ the best advice i can give is when u pry the plastic apart.. make sure you undo the parts closest to the 4 big plastic locks 2 top 2 bottom.. now what i use is a little plastic lottery ticket scratcher.. its just a plastic wedge basically and i slip it knto the crack and just run it along to loosen it then i take it and pry open the 2 locks? clips? at the top so I dont break it further.. once u get those top ones undone just slip the wedge down each side of the case crack and it should pull right off.. once u do this a couple times it does get a bit easyer to do but it was verry frustrating lol

hope this helps remember just take your time
    12-12-11 04:21 PM
    Thanks.

Boy you think they would have some sort of release on it. Oh well. Thanks again.
    12-12-11 04:30 PM
    it took me about an hour with my fingers... and i ended up cracking the frame of the front where it clips in near the headphone jack :/ the best advice i can give is when u pry the plastic apart.. make sure you undo the parts closest to the 4 big plastic locks 2 top 2 bottom.. now what i use is a little plastic lottery ticket scratcher.. its just a plastic wedge basically and i slip it knto the crack and just run it along to loosen it then i take it and pry open the 2 locks? clips? at the top so I dont break it further.. once u get those top ones undone just slip the wedge down each side of the case crack and it should pull right off.. once u do this a couple times it does get a bit easyer to do but it was verry frustrating lol

hope this helps remember just take your time
    LOL.....what he said, just take your time whatever you do. It gets easier once you do it a couple of times ...."a cost for ultimate protection"
    12-12-11 04:32 PM
    Unsnap all four tabs, from the back. Once I get a couple, the contact points on the sides that lock but have no tabs will usually give. For a hands on demonstration just watch the official PB Otterbox instructional video:

I'm sorry you're having difficulty but honestly the part I dislike the most is the rubber headphone plug. I've had a harder time getting that out than taking the case apart.

Hope it all works out.
    12-12-11 04:34 PM
    Thanks all. I got it. It just felt like it was going to break. I like the case. It suits me well. The screen? Eh. Not so much, but I'd rather have the protection. She's my baby and the Otter has already saved me once when I'm sure it would have been disaster.
    12-12-11 04:48 PM
    Thanks all. I got it. It just felt like it was going to break. I like the case. It suits me well. The screen? Eh. Not so much, but I'd rather have the protection. She's my baby and the Otter has already saved me once when I'm sure it would have been disaster.
    what dont u like aboit the screen ? i honestly dont notice its there anymore lol actually refunded my ishield and got this i was so pleased... but I will say the flip out stand... took me 2 days before i worked up the guts to just pull it as hard as i could lolol mine was stuck so hard i was sure i could feel the plastic breaking and hear it creeking like it was gonna snap lol worked fine without snaping though lol easyer to open now to.
    12-12-11 05:03 PM
    I sliced my knuckle on my first attempt to remove this case off my playbook with a dam Gerber baby knife with NO EDGE. I grabbed another knife and pried underneath the tabs and finally got it off. All of this just to remove a stinking particle from the screen. I now have another particle on the bezel and there's no way in heck i'll be attempting to remove it for now.
    Underdogz likes this.
    12-12-11 05:08 PM
    I just bought 1 for my PB.

Thanks for the heads up on this..............
    12-12-11 05:38 PM
    Can't go wrong with Otterbox bought one for my Iphone4 and scratch up the screen with plexiglass cutter I left in my pocket. Sent them a e-mail and sent me a new one for free.
    Soon as I bought my playbook ordered a Otterbox from Costco, came with a minor defect in the corner where the glue or what ever substance they use to hold the screen to the plastic ran.
    Sent me a brand new one and let me keep the old one so had the extra one for when I bought my second playbook.
    Don't mind the added weight what so ever.
    My first playbook came with a free Zagg shield that was ripped off the same day my Otterbox came in.lol
    Zagg with their garbage free warranty replacement, nail you 15+ for shipping and you have to mail them the old one back.
    12-12-11 05:52 PM
    I actually captured that video a while back after I, too, could not remember which side of those "tension clips" (as identified in the video) opened. I see that they are part of the rear assembly so need to be raised from the front to release them. I have the video on my pb so I can watch it again, if necessary.

After a while you do forget how slim the pb is naked.
    Last edited by F2; 12-12-11 at 10:02 PM.
    12-12-11 08:26 PM
    what dont u like aboit the screen ? i honestly dont notice its there anymore lol actually refunded my ishield and got this i was so pleased... but I will say the flip out stand... took me 2 days before i worked up the guts to just pull it as hard as i could lolol mine was stuck so hard i was sure i could feel the plastic breaking and hear it creeking like it was gonna snap lol worked fine without snaping though lol easyer to open now to.
    Same here with the stand!! Those 2 little half round tabs are in there tight!
    12-13-11 01:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD