Has anyone cut out the built-in screen protector from the Playbook Otterbox Defender case and added a different screen protector? I am thinking of removing mine and having Ghost Armor installed. I simply want to make certain that doing so won't damage the way the case fits.
    02-18-12 01:38 PM
    What do you mean? You plan on cutting out just the clear protector from the case frame or the whole frame that houses the screen protector? If you're worried about the Otterbox fitting with an addition screen protector, it will. All of ours have Zaggs on, and they have no effect on the fitting of the Otterbox. No need to remove the Otterbox protector.

We cut out just the clear portion of the case on three of ours at work due to condensation issues we were having from being outside in sub zero temps and coming back in to a heated environment. Worked well and we already had Zagg protectors on.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-18-12 at 01:58 PM.
    m_rkus likes this.
    02-18-12 01:50 PM
    Yes that was exactly what I meant, I was thinking of simply removing the clear protector in lieu of a screen protector that will not show the finger prints as easily. I also find with the Otterbox screen protector there is sometimes a loss of sensitivity on the edges of the screen. I thought I had read that the case was a little more loose with the clear protector removed.
    02-18-12 02:22 PM
    Not that I am endorsing the defacement of the glory that is Otterbox (i love mine), but this almost sounds like a good idea. My only issue with the otterbox is the face that things (dust and hair) seem to always find their way behind the case's clear protective screen.

If you do it, let me know how it turns out.
    02-18-12 02:25 PM
    You don't have to cut it. it is glued in and easily peels off when you take the otterbox apart. i replaced mine with a non-glare protector because it did not show finger prints like the one that came with the otterbox.
    m_rkus likes this.
    02-18-12 02:30 PM
    Yes, I peeled my Otterbox screen protector off back in May because I had already installed a Zagg invisible shield and its been working GREAT ever since. I didn't like the feel of the one that came with the otterbox.
    m_rkus likes this.
    02-18-12 02:35 PM
    It's worked fine with ours, but to make sure we didn't change any clearances, we used an exacto knife (razor blade) and literally cut the screen from the screen opening. We didn't peel it from the frame. Also, the looseness you're describing is probably due to the loss of tension on the screen protector frame that the screen contributed to. We haven't experienced that.

As to the dust and such that finds it's way under the Otterbox screen, we were able to prevent it. We use several of our PBs outside and in dusty conditions, so we tape all seams with black electrical tape. We also put tape over the speaker cutouts and perforated the tape with several needle holes. We still hear the speakers fine. Not pretty but not very noticeable either and it works. These are work PBs so aesthetics are not a concern.
    02-18-12 02:45 PM
    I just peeled the screen protector from my Otterbox, no cutting required. I run witht the Otterbox with the screen protected. When travelling, I put the plastic convertible cover on and no worries of scratching screen.
    02-18-12 02:56 PM
    Really don't have a problem with the otterbox screen but if you did want to peel it off, couldn't you just put in back(underneath) of the playbook for safe keeping(lol) then you would maintain all your clearance and tension.
    Last edited by balding1; 02-18-12 at 03:03 PM.
    02-18-12 02:57 PM
    Yes, of course you can peel the screen. We just chose to cut it out because we wanted the screen border between the PB and the case. We also didn't want anymore space between the case and the PB than was already there, even a few thousandths. Our personal choice. We're talking about about a group of AMEs doing this, and we are OCD about retaining original tolerances. LOL
    02-18-12 03:42 PM
    I did almost exactly what you are describing (only difference is I use an SGP protector). As hackerguy said, the sheet just peels off. Make sure that you remove all of the glue residue before re-installing the Otterbox. One other thing, I found that the frame of the OB left an impression on the edges of the screen protector, so I took some very fine wet-dry sandpaper and worked on the inside edges until it fit without marring the protector.
    02-18-12 04:17 PM
    Could any of you with a "Modified" Otterbox post some pics??

I'm intrigued.

Thanks
    02-18-12 04:26 PM

I'm intrigued.

Thanks
    I imagine there is not much to see since with or without, the screen protector is pretty invisible. So, someone could just show their hand coming through the frame of a non-protector front piece.

Until I moved my Otterbox to the newer 64 gig, I had the otterbox on my 32 with the otterbox's protector was well as another protector directly on the 32's screen. Seemed to work without any real problems.
    02-18-12 05:10 PM

I'm intrigued.

Thanks
    Really nothing to show. It looks just the same as if it hadn't been modified. I really don't plan on taking it apart.
    02-18-12 05:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD