View Poll Results: Which PB Case is the Best?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • OtterBox Defender Series Case

40 75.47%
  • Ballistic Tough Jacket Series Case

13 24.53%
03-09-14 11:21 AM
41 12
tools
    i agree the silicrylic case is the best and i have had both in this poll. The Otterbox is just overkill for the typical person using around the house. Both add a great deal of size and it limits how you carry. The silicrylic by incipio does a wonderful job of protecting my PB. My wife has the pink version and I have the white. It looks great and is comfortable to hold.
    I used to have an Otterbox on my 2 year old sons iPad. The weight almost doubled and he only dropped it because he struggled carrying it around. I switched to the incipio silicrylic and he doesn't drop it anymore. I get a lot of people asking about the case when he brings it with him as they have the same problems and like the way it looks.
    02-07-12 09:20 PM
    I pulled the trigger and bought the OtterBox Defender! After watch several test videos of folks trying to destroy their PB encased in an OtterBox Defender it was the only logic choice. I paid $49.94 including shipping and handling. Can't wait to get it because I am constantly worried about dropping it.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVw_5ejem20[/YT]

This is the video that convinced my to go with the OtterBox
    02-10-12 03:57 PM
    I am going to second the Incipio Silicrylic case. Or at least check them out.

I'm not sure if you have kids or if you're clumsy/prone to breaking things or if you work in an environment where it's more likely to damage your Playbook, but when I got my Playbook, I was also looking for a case that would offer more protection against a drop. I did look at both the Otterbox and Ballistic cases, but they just seem waaaay too bulky for me. I can be clumsy sometime, but even if I do drop it, I don't think it will be from the top of a 30 story building.

I got the Incipio Silicrylic case. It seems to offer a good bit of protection without being as bulky as the Otterbox and Ballistic. It probably offers less protection too, but I will take that trade off for less bulk.

Pics here : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bUvbUpU7112206
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-10-12 04:02 PM
    Funny, about the Otterbox bulk. I had to take the new 64 gig out to remove the factory screen protector (those hands swiping across the screen) having decided to keep it (os2 better come!). Using it naked felt awkward. It did not have sufficient heft!

Each to his/her own.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-10-12 04:47 PM
    I am going to second the Incipio Silicrylic case. Or at least check them out.

I'm not sure if you have kids or if you're clumsy/prone to breaking things or if you work in an environment where it's more likely to damage your Playbook, but when I got my Playbook, I was also looking for a case that would offer more protection against a drop. I did look at both the Otterbox and Ballistic cases, but they just seem waaaay too bulky for me. I can be clumsy sometime, but even if I do drop it, I don't think it will be from the top of a 30 story building.

I got the Incipio Silicrylic case. It seems to offer a good bit of protection without being as bulky as the Otterbox and Ballistic. It probably offers less protection too, but I will take that trade off for less bulk.

Pics here : Amazon.com: Incipio BlackBerry PlayBook SILICRYLIC Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core - White/Gray: Electronics
    My son who is 7 years old wants to use it a lot and I cringe everytime I let him use it. So that is one of the factors that led to my choice, but I sometimes forget I have things in my lap when sitting in my recliner and I get up and away it goes! Examples are my glasses, cell phone, my son's DS XL, what ever is in my lap. I don't drop things very often so I'm lucky in that respect. I did take a serious look at the Incipio but I felt there wasn't enough screen protection, which is really my main concern. I watch this drop test and thought if that was my PB I would just die!
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkcE95FOTdE[/YT]
    02-10-12 05:13 PM
    i just got the otterbox defender for my playbook yesterday.. love this case. i find the screen protector works good also. i thought i was going to have to take the screen protector off because i figured it would have that wet look being that it isnt attached to the screen and that it wouldnt work that good, but it actually looks and works good.

ive used otterbox on many of my past phones and have only ever came across one i didnt like and that was the one for my 9810, thats garbage... maybe they should make one that omits the slider function and when on you only can use the touch screen, then you dont have to worry about stupid little clips breaking.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-11-12 02:42 PM
    right now can get the otter box for 14.99 but to be honest not sure when I would use it.
    02-11-12 03:56 PM
    right now can get the otter box for 14.99 but to be honest not sure when I would use it.
    Where can you get an authentic OtterBox for $14.99, seems really cheap. Sure it isn't a knock off fake brand of some sort? I scoured the net for days looking for the cheapest priced OtterBox and it doesn't get any cheaper than what I paid for it.
    02-11-12 04:52 PM
    Got the OtterBox installed on my PB and I must say I'm quite happy with it. The screen protector makes typing seems more authentic to a real keyboard. My PB now feels like a really solid unit, I could be happier!
    Last edited by Willard814; 02-15-12 at 01:08 PM.
    trinipoco likes this.
    02-15-12 12:56 PM
    Can you use the charging stand for the PB without having to remove the case on either of these? The use of the stand is a big plus for me at night in the hotels as I use my PB as my alarm clock also. I wish RIM had put the charger plug on the side of the PB. It would have made it easier to use when plugged in also.
    03-29-12 11:24 AM
    The otterbox will NOT accommodate the charging stand. You can use it with the rapid charger and its "screen protector" cover (plastic shell) has an adjustable leg to use as a stand.
    03-29-12 12:25 PM
    Oh, does the Ballistic case's stand actually work also as a front (screen) shield like the otterbox? That is not clear in the photos shown.
    I have used both and prefer the ballistic it is easier to install cheaper and better protection. The plastic cover snaps on the front to cover the screen when not in use or on the back to use as a kickstand. Or flip it around and it makes it easier to type on a flat surface plus those thick corners lift it off the table so if you do lay it face down the screen. Never Rochester the table.
    05-28-12 02:20 AM
    Didn't use both. But I also changed from Otterbox to Seidio on my Bold 9900.
    As for my PlayBook, since I use the convertible case that come with the Mini Keyboard, I don't have other options.
    05-28-12 05:30 AM
    thread ressurection but I have both cases and like both. and they can be found with some searching on ebay.

the otterbox is better sealed against moisture but the ballistics is more user friendly I reckon. once the ballistics is open it can be stood up with the easy open flip out leg but needs a proper surface, the otterbox creates its own surface so is happy on beds and such but the stand is fiddly.

the ballistics is much easier to put the playbook in and out of. weightwise they are about the same.

the otterbox screen cover does seem to add some lag to the use allright as long as you aren't playing games.

otterbox for rucksack/motorbike use, ballistics for general house use.
    03-06-14 12:18 PM
    I too have both cases but prefer the ballistic case for reasons already given plus..
    I can use the rapid charger with the ballistic case in the standing position; don't have a dock so this is quite neat.
    I can manipulate the cover and stand in the various configurations in total darkness just by touch. I couldn't do that with the otterbox.

One disadvantage of the ballistic case is that two finger typing can be difficult when the cover is on the back of the playbook. The case holds on the sides make the playbook seem too wide. I sometimes remove the cover or type or use the playbook in potrait mode.

thread ressurection but I have both cases and like both. and they can be found with some searching on ebay.

the otterbox is better sealed against moisture but the ballistics is more user friendly I reckon. once the ballistics is open it can be stood up with the easy open flip out leg but needs a proper surface, the otterbox creates its own surface so is happy on beds and such but the stand is fiddly.

the ballistics is much easier to put the playbook in and out of. weightwise they are about the same.

the otterbox screen cover does seem to add some lag to the use allright as long as you aren't playing games.

otterbox for rucksack/motorbike use, ballistics for general house use.
    03-08-14 03:08 AM
    I started with Ballistic case use it for two years, now my playbook is mostly naked. It can be cumbersome to use . Unless it's long distance travel, I mostly use the sleeve that comes with it just for the convenience.
    03-09-14 11:21 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD