View Poll Results: Which PB Case is the Best?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • OtterBox Defender Series Case

40 75.47%
  • Ballistic Tough Jacket Series Case

13 24.53%
    I need the opinion of Crackberry's finest, which PB case is the best for ultimate protection?

The Ballistic Tough Jacket Series Case which has no screen protection or

The OtterBox Defender Series Case

I like the Ballistic Tough Jacket Look and design especially the corner protection, but it doesn't have screen protection which I think is most important. I like the OtterBox because its perfectly designed especially the button function aspect, but it only comes in one color.

Secondly no matter what case I choose I suspect I may have a problem fitting my PB into my back pocket of my jeans or in the side pocket of a pair of cargo pants. Wonder how many inches these cases will addd to the dimension of the PB?
    02-07-12 11:16 AM
    Can't go wrong with otterbox
    WEIGHT WITHOUT SHIELD: 11.99 oz / 340.19 g
    DIMENSIONS: 5.78 in x 8.03in x 1.17 in
    146.81 mm x 204.06 mm x 29.82 mm
    Adds the bulks but protection #1
    Last edited by balding1; 02-07-12 at 11:28 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-07-12 11:21 AM
    I couldn't answer the poll. I have the defender and love it. However the bulk is a pain to deal sometimes. also i've noticed sometimes the screen cover prevents accurate touching. I never used the ballistics, was really hoping someone on here could compare the 2 side by side to get a more accurate review of them.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-07-12 11:24 AM
    When I've carried my pb inside its SHIELDED Otterbox inside my daypack for flights or even on an occasional hiking or biking trip, I really like the fact that the screen is protected by the additional shield. I'm not even referring to the "built-in, clear screen protector" but the shield which also works as a stand. I don't have to worry that my camera, gps, ac adapters etc also packed in the daypack for flying will not press on the screen.

The color accents of the other are nice looking but I prefer the real protection. I hope the corner protection on the otterbox is sufficient. I think there was a video of someone frisbee-ing the otterboxed pb.
    ScoobsDM and Willard814 like this.
    02-07-12 12:06 PM
    I have the Otterbox. It does protect well. My 4 yr old son uses my PB alot. Couple of months ago he dropped it off my bed onto the hardwood floor, which granted was only about 3 feet. He got off the bed picked it up and dropped it again while getting back in. After I changed my underwear, I realized it was really protected well. The thing bounced a couple times on each drop. and this was without the extra shield/stand on.

Just my 2 cents...
    Willard814, FF22 and Boodrew like this.
    02-07-12 12:18 PM
    I have the otterbox. If you like the ballistic case just get it, don't let the not having a screen protector stop you.

I removed the crappy plasticky feeling screen protector from the otterbox I got and replaced it with a regular tablet screen protector, works much better. It is not like the otterbox sp is any more shock proof than a regular nicer feeling sp. Go for the ballistic it looks nice.
    02-07-12 12:34 PM
    I have the otterbox. If you like the ballistic case just get it, don't let the not having a screen protector stop you.

I removed the crappy plasticky feeling screen protector from the otterbox I got and replaced it with a regular tablet screen protector, works much better. It is not like the otterbox sp is any more shock proof than a regular nicer feeling sp. Go for the ballistic it looks nice.
    I agree with methodz. I have never liked the built in SP. better to go with adhesive SP.
    02-07-12 12:37 PM
    The Otterbox is a real good case, so the bulk that it adds is worth the protection. Honestly I didn't like the stand at first but now I love it, it comes in handy when sitting at dining table and no matter what room I take the PB to it sits nicely when listening to the radio. Btw, WOW can you say landslide!!
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-07-12 12:52 PM
    i recommend the incipio silicrylic. its not as bulky but same concept. no built in sp but they give u adhesive. its $20 on their site with free shipping
    striknine and Sesami like this.
    02-07-12 01:47 PM
    I've had my Ballistic case for Playbook now for almost a year. It's a fantastic case and much cheaper in price, compared to the Otterbox.

The back panel that has the kickstand acts as a screen protector when not in use, so not sure what you mean by missing screen protection.

I've added a screenguard to the screen, just for added protection when I have the panel off.

It's taken tons of abuse and has protected my Playbook very well, especially in the corners where it has extremely thick silicone material.

I've taken the case off and on numerous times and the fit remains perfect (not stretched).

I would whole-heartedly recommend the Ballistic case based on price-point, quality and ability to protect your Playbook.

I've owned an Otterbox case for my 9700 in the past. I went through 5 warranty claims on the cheaply built holster and finally replaced it with a Seidio case that has never failed me.

Otterbox was a good brand back in the day, but they're quality has waned, in my humble opinion and from my experiences.

Go with the Ballistic case....its cheaply priced and will serve you well!!!
    02-07-12 02:22 PM
    defender all the way. I also took advantage of it and use the shield as a stand for my car
    02-07-12 02:52 PM
    I have the otterbox defender and regret it. Everything was all snug at first but the first and only time i opened it to take the sp off and put the other one on, the case is loose and flimsy. The pb isn't moving, just the piece that held the sp is...
    When I first assembled mine, I did not realize that besides those larger 4 "camlocks" there are a series of small detents and/or notches whatever that fit. My rubber rand did not close right and I thought it was defective. Then I noticed that it was not really snapped closed at those small notches. They are what also make it harder to take apart and not just those 4 larger clips.
    02-07-12 03:07 PM
    I've had my Ballistic case for Playbook now for almost a year. It's a fantastic case and much cheaper in price, compared to the Otterbox.

The back panel that has the kickstand acts as a screen protector when not in use, so not sure what you mean by missing screen protection.

I've added a screenguard to the screen, just for added protection when I have the panel off.

It's taken tons of abuse and has protected my Playbook very well, especially in the corners where it has extremely thick silicone material.

I've taken the case off and on numerous times and the fit remains perfect (not stretched).

I would whole-heartedly recommend the Ballistic case based on price-point, quality and ability to protect your Playbook.

I've owned an Otterbox case for my 9700 in the past. I went through 5 warranty claims on the cheaply built holster and finally replaced it with a Seidio case that has never failed me.

Otterbox was a good brand back in the day, but they're quality has waned, in my humble opinion and from my experiences.

Oh, does the Ballistic case's stand actually work also as a front (screen) shield like the otterbox? That is not clear in the photos shown.
    02-07-12 03:10 PM
    When I first assembled mine, I did not realize that besides those larger 4 "camlocks" there are a series of small detents and/or notches whatever that fit. My rubber rand did not close right and I thought it was defective. Then I noticed that it was not really snapped closed at those small notches. They are what also make it harder to take apart and not just those 4 larger clips.
    Noticed the same thing when I first put it on that the rubber sides kept coming out.
    Then out of frustration push the rubber in hard and heard it snap further in place.
    Jesus now I can take it apart and back together blindfolded.
    Have 2 playbooks in otterboxes but might look into the incipio silicrylic case for my third one if I can track down in Canada for a good price.
    Got my otterboxes at costco.ca for 43.99 and free shipping cheapest I good find or them.
    Last edited by balding1; 02-07-12 at 03:31 PM.
    8230 likes this.
    02-07-12 03:14 PM
    I have the otterbox on my 8 year olds playbook. I love it! It has already taken spills and looks like it did on day one. He even had something agaist the screen that left a nice mark on the screen protector, but I was able to buff it out. Very happy with the purchase
    02-07-12 03:14 PM
    I went with the Otterbox. Both have excellent protection, but in my opinion the Otterbox looks more professional and less bulky. I'm happy with my purchase. I also use Otterbox commuter on my 9650 making them a perfect looking pair
    02-07-12 03:31 PM
    i recommend the incipio silicrylic. its not as bulky but same concept. no built in sp but they give u adhesive. its $20 on their site with free shipping
    Adhesive? What is the adhesive for?
    02-07-12 03:59 PM

What I mean is if I'm not mistaken the OtterBox has a screen protector so if you drop it and something hits the screen when it's dropped there is some protection. But I could be wrong, how is the responsiveness to touch with the ScreenGuard?

As far as price I found the Ballistic to be higher in price than the OtterBox, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I found the Ballistics case at Newegg.com for $54 bucks with free shipping. The OtterBox seems to be priced out at $40-$45 bucks plus shipping.
    02-07-12 04:13 PM
    Otterbox, bro. Hands down! I've had the Defender series on previous 8900, and current 9700 band PB No regrets at all.
    02-07-12 04:58 PM
    I have the Otterbox on my Playbook, 9900 and 9800. The only problem was with the front piece on the 9800 (and makes them all a bit bulky), otherwise i have been quite happy with the product. The only fear that i had was with over heating with the playbook, but I have not seen any problems of this in the forums and I have not noted any change in performance.
    02-07-12 05:10 PM
    I own the Otterbox , and it has a Peice of plastic that protects the screen on top of the stand also being protection , althought i have never had to take my PB out of the defender case , i am happy knowing that it is snug and protected. the ballistic does not offer a plastic screen protector , it does however have the stand that doubles as a screen cover .
    But when its in use the glass is exposed.

As far as fitting it in a cargo pocket , the otterbox case with the cover on does fit in standard cargo pockets , it is a little heavy so i hope you wear a belt.... Can't have you mooning anyone.

Although that ballistic is nicer looking i think the otterbox is a better case overall.

There is only a hand full of otterbox defender cases that aren't that nice , the one for the 9860 isn;t very nice and i am going to have to get mine replaced. however for the playbook its very good.

For all the nay sayers on the otterbox , Look at all the simularities between all the cases of equal protection , they all have a polycarbonate plastic "case" then a rubber cover , and otterbox has been doing this longer than just about everyone else.
    02-07-12 05:11 PM
    I have the otterbox defender and regret it. Everything was all snug at first but the first and only time i opened it to take the sp off and put the other one on, the case is loose and flimsy. The pb isn't moving, just the piece that held the sp is...
    Call OtterBox and ask for a warranty replacement. OtterBox has the best Customer Service I have ever found in any device I use or have used in the past.

First BB 8330 in an Otterbox Defender
    Second BB Storm 2 in an Otterbox Defender
    Third BB PlayBook in an Otterbox Defender
    Forth BB 9860 in an Otterbox Defender.

Do you think I like Otterbox?

Mike
    02-07-12 06:23 PM
    Oh, does the Ballistic case's stand actually work also as a front (screen) shield like the otterbox? That is not clear in the photos shown.
    Yes. It snaps off the back panel and snaps onto the front, covering your Playbook's screen.
    02-07-12 07:20 PM
    Just bought the Otterbox from Amazon.ca for $48.00
    02-07-12 07:40 PM
    I just got my otterbox from amazon! I have one on my phone and knew it was the only choice for my playbook. I highly suggest picking one up!
    02-07-12 08:06 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD