We're all familiar with the PB's native Camera app, and while some who had been running beta 2.1 are aware of the other camera app available on the PB, now that official 2.1 has dropped and many have updated to it from 2.0, it may be useful for these people to learn about this app (it may actually have been there under 2.0, it just wasn't functional). The app is android Camera, and is now functional because the android player has access to the PB camera. It has some functionality that is not included in the native app.

The first thing I'll note is the naming protocol that android Camera uses, since some have been complaining now and previously about the way the PB camera names pictures. Instead of using sequential numbers (or not so sequential numbers since the update) as PB camera does, android camera names pics and videos according to the date and time the pic or video was taken. So a pic taken at 12:01:30 PM on Oct 6, 2012 will be named IMG_20121006_120130. The second thing I'll note is that android camera cannot be accessed directly from the desktop, but it can be accessed through Ghost Commander (free in app world) and also ES File Explorer (needs sideloading) and maybe some other android file managers. To access android camera, open Ghost Commander and from the homescreen select "Applications" (see pic 1), then scroll down and select "Camera", then "Shortcuts", and then "Camera-MAIN". This will open the camera app. For easier later access to the app, when you get to the "Shortcuts" folder, you can press and hold Shortcuts and then select "Add to Favorites" (see pic 2). This will allow you to access Camera from the "Favorites" entry on the homescreen (pic 1). When Camera is open, it will look like pic 3, and you'll notice on the right side of the app is where you can change resolution, zoom, change front to rear, pics to video etc. Next, take your pic (pic 4). After you take the shot, you'll notice that there is a box in the top right corner of the app. If you press this box, you can preview your pic. In preview mode (actually android Gallery) if you don't like the pic you can choose to delete it , or if you like it, to share it (pic 5). If you choose share, if you select "Messages", the PB's native messages app will open in the compose email view with your pic attached to the email. If you have android Dropbox or Skydrive apps installed you can also choose to send the pic to these apps for upload to the Cloud. You can also choose to crop or rotate the pic from the preview screen (pic 6). After you're done with the preview, a bottom swipe will take you back to the camera view.

Some may find this app will come in handy at times for one reason or another- in any event, it's always nice to have the option to use another app.
    Attached Thumbnails The Other Camera App on Your Playbook-1.jpg   The Other Camera App on Your Playbook-1a.jpg   The Other Camera App on Your Playbook-2.jpg   The Other Camera App on Your Playbook-3.jpg   The Other Camera App on Your Playbook-5-1-.jpg  

The Other Camera App on Your Playbook-5-2-.jpg  
    10-06-12 03:34 PM
    Nice write up and......Great info, thanks!
    10-06-12 03:43 PM
    Agree. Good info!
    10-06-12 05:30 PM
    There's a free PB App called Quick App Manager. It inventories all the android apps and one of them is "camera". It's the Android Camera. This is a fast way to access this second camera - as well as all your other Android Apps.
    10-06-12 05:46 PM
    This is a really good idea! Thanks OP!
    10-06-12 06:24 PM
    Where is this camera app? Can you post a link to it?
    10-06-12 08:31 PM
    wilbrich, I just tried Quick App Manager, and it seems pretty cool and will definitely work, though, as I noted, if you add Camera to Favorites in Ghost Commander it's still pretty easy to access.

jamesharmeling, you don't need a link for Camera because it's already on your Playbook. You just need an app to access it- Ghost Commander as I noted above or Quick App Manager as wilbrich noted (there are others, also, that will work). If you have Ghost Commander, follow my instructions as above. Or, you can install Quick App Manager from app world, then open it, find "Camera" on the screen, tap it, and then select open.
    10-06-12 09:06 PM
    Thanks very much pacoman, nice find, much appreciate the time you took to put this post together
    10-06-12 09:47 PM
    The Android drop box, if automatic camera upload is enabled, will upload the pictures taken by the native camera too and it renames them with the date with the format: "2012-10-07 10.42.18.jpg" So usually, I never manually move my pictures from my PB to my PC.

Oddly, I'm not noticing the filling in of the missing numbers in the numbering of the new pictures and I'm on the new 2.1.

But the OPs idea is a good one nevertheless. Perhaps someone could make a launcher for the application?
    10-07-12 01:19 AM
    How about another app, a native BB app, named Camera Burst. Anybody tried that?
    10-07-12 01:41 AM
    Actually in Ghost Commander in the Applications section all you have to do is tap and hold the app name then choose Launch (app name) to run any Android app enabled on the PlayBook. Having said that there are some native Android apps that come with the Android runtime that are not enabled to run. I would assume these to be apps that do not comply with the BlackBerry PlayBook security definition.
    10-07-12 02:11 AM
    Actually in Ghost Commander in the Applications section all you have to do is tap and hold the app name then choose Launch
    That's another way to do it. Maybe the point should be that the method I described above to launch Camera is that it can and should be a one time only affair. If you add the Camera shortcuts folder to your Favorites in Ghost, you're never more than three taps away from launching the app. I never actually go into Applications to launch Camera only because it takes a couple of seconds for the list of apps to populate, especially if you have a lot of android apps installed.The other thing about Ghost is that it remembers your view when you close it. So, if you go to favorites to launch camera and then close the app, the next time you launch Ghost it will start in the Favorites/Camera view, and you'll only need one tap to launch Camera. For those who are not familiar with Ghost (although it is a great file manager in and of itself) it might be easier to use, as wilbrich suggested,, Quick App Manager.
    10-07-12 03:02 AM
    Nice catch. Mine works fine. I did notice that the camera only shoots 4:3 in picture mode. It seems to shift to widescreen when I toggle it to video.

If you want to see something really funky, switch over to view the gallery, then tilt it back and forth like a steering wheel.
    10-07-12 06:42 PM
    I did notice that the camera only shoots 4:3 in picture mode. It seems to shift to widescreen when I toggle it to video.
    I think the PB's camera only actually takes pictures in 4:3. When you switch it to 16:9, the camera actually shoots a 4:3 pic and then its software lops off the top and bottom of the pic. That's why pics taken in 4:3 are 5 megapixel, and those taken in 16:9 are only 3 megapixel. Those missing 2 megapixels are lopped off. It's also the reason that if you take 2 identical shots, one in 4:3 and the other in 16:9. the 16:9 pic will appear zoomed compared to the 4:3 shot. Lop off the top and bottom of a 4:3 shot, then fill the screen with the result, and everything will seem closer.
    playbookpa and Remian8985 like this.
    10-07-12 07:50 PM
    Also worth a note
    If you open your Native Pictures app (pictures) - and open the All Pictures folder - surf down to the end and you can then use this as a file viewer as you take photos with the Android Camera - a bit faster than the Android Camera Preview (and the Preview crashes on me if I scroll deep into the photo archive).
    You can just swipe back and forth between the Camera and the Pictures folder - checking the photos you just took as you do.,
    10-07-12 09:12 PM
    I wonder if one of the camera shortcuts created for the Nexus 7 would work to add the Android camera to the Playbook home screen without having to open another app first.

On the Nexus 7, the camera app is included, but they didn't add an icon to the app drawer. There are a couple of apps in the Google Play Store that are just a shortcut to the camera app. Possibly converting the .apk to a .bar and side loading would work?
    10-07-12 11:00 PM
    I wonder if one of the camera shortcuts created for the Nexus 7 would work to add the Android camera to the Playbook home screen without having to open another app first.

On the Nexus 7, the camera app is included, but they didn't add an icon to the app drawer. There are a couple of apps in the Google Play Store that are just a shortcut to the camera app. Possibly converting the .apk to a .bar and side loading would work?
    If you can find one, go for it and let us know. I looked, but the only app I could find was called Camcorder, which opens the video app. The main problem is that when the video cam app launches, you can't switch it to camera mode.
    10-07-12 11:10 PM
    Anyone else notice the gallery has retained thumbnails of pictures that were deleted from the normal PB pictures folder?
    10-08-12 09:11 PM
    Anyone else notice the gallery has retained thumbnails of pictures that were deleted from the normal PB pictures folder?
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I did a search and found three different android folders with the thumbs in them, but deleting the files did not make the thumbnails in Gallery go away.
    10-08-12 10:50 PM