Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the PlayBook Tablet OS would be absolutely awesome if it functioned more like OS7 while maintaining its awesome multitasking UI?

I'm not sure how TOS 2.0 will be like, but I cant imagine that it would be very much different than it is now. Not that they absolutely need to go a different route, but we all have high hopes for OS 2.0.

Whatever it brings, I cant wait! I just really like how OS7 works.
    10-12-11 10:08 PM
    No I think that would be a huge mess.
    10-12-11 10:25 PM
    yeah...ummm......no

lol everything here on out needs to be nothin like BBOS

qnx on the Playbook runs just just as smooth, if not smoother, as the seventh iteration of BBOS....which took how many years to do again??????

Sure it could borrow some functionality from OS7 but it doesn't need to function like OS7...but thats just my 2 cents
    10-12-11 10:32 PM
    Maybe... I guess I am alone in thinking that.
    10-12-11 10:34 PM
    I think OS7 shows that an older system can work very well if properly enhanced and maintained. I really think RIM got it right on OS7. However, I think the QNX system is the future as it is more expandable and so I think it could be powerful in that it could behave like a chameleon. It could run OS7 stuff that is not available on QNX and again transform to run many (but not all) android apps.
    QNX powered phones will communicate seamlessly with the Playbook, to include video chat, and also with android video chat. This could really help the BlackBerry brand tear down some barriers.

Here is the potential (and we should confirm this next week):
    A BBX phone will be able to run android apps but that is not the biggest deal. It will be able to handle 1080p HD, also video chat, it should have BB Movies, BB Music, other awesome music, such as 7 digital, and an awesome BB Maps with voice navigation. In essence it could have all the things that apple and top of the line droids do now. So why not just get one of them? Because it will deliver better battery management than a droid and have a bigger screen than the iPhone AND still have the best e-mail, messaging and security out there. Essentially it will be an android with good battery life and security.
    This is RIM's chance to really start taking market share. I sincerely hope that BB Movies are available from DEVCON and that they give anyone buying, or that already bought a BB Playbook a $100.00 credit towards BB Movies. If they do this, which will cost them less than the $100.00 bucks and discount the Playbook to 399.99 it should be a winner. They should easily move 1 million Playbooks for the holidays. If they also market the **** out of it. Keep in mind that BB will need to get people to buy their movies and a few free movies is a small price to pay for adoption.
    I'm very happy with my Playbook but the only way I see RIM making a good dent on their 800k playbook inventory is by using DEVCON to launch a massive marketing campaign. Otherwise, the Playbook will be another also ran tablet, which would be a shame considering it is the best tablet out there.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-12-11 at 10:44 PM.
    10-12-11 10:42 PM
    In defense of previous BBOS's, they did run on slower hardware, so it was pretty amazing what they achieved with those specs. I doubt OS 7 (or QNX TOS for that matter) would run as well as it does on a 500 MHz processor with 256Mb memory.

I do like the QNX TOS but it is lacking in the options, not that it can't be added later.
    10-12-11 10:48 PM
    @ Guerllamo7: I agree with all of your points. I really look forward to seeing how DEVCON will drive up the RIM-BlackBerry brand.
    10-12-11 10:55 PM
    In defense of previous BBOS's, they did run on slower hardware, so it was pretty amazing what they achieved with those specs. I doubt OS 7 (or QNX TOS for that matter) would run as well as it does on a 500 MHz processor with 256Mb memory.

I do like the QNX TOS but it is lacking in the options, not that it can't be added later.
    u are correct with what u said.....i just dont think they can make BBOS any better than what it is now. look all the way back to the RIM pagers, before they were blackberrys....the UI still has similarities to it lol. The BBOS has met its limitations and im sure youve heard the stories of it being difficult to develop for. i mean, QNX has been out for less than 6 months and look at some of the games we've already gotten....where are them kind of games for BBOS. if it were possible, there wouldnt be the need for RIM to switch to qnx. BBOS has shown its age.

With all the acquisitions RIM has made, im pretty sure you'll find that BBX might run and look better than BBOS ever could

A bright future seems to be ahead of us
    10-12-11 11:06 PM
    QNX + All the features we've come to expect from a BlackBerry OS device = Happy

QNX + Huge amount of missing features we've come to expect from a BlackBerry OS device = thousands of PlayBook owners flocking to CB forums waiting for OS 2.0!

The PlayBook is more like a Grape that always wanted to be a BlackBerry but just didn't come out right...hopefully the corrective surgery that is OS 2.0 will turn this grape into wonderful BlackBerry!
    10-12-11 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD