01-25-12 06:55 PM
87 123 ...
tools
    Here's how I think things will progress.

A 2 week period of the DevBeta to get some apps ported.

A consumer Beta released for Beta Zone members (why else have us register our PINs there?).

Full release mid November.

We'll see, obviously, but this is my guess.

edit: To comply with JeepBBs made up rule, consumer Beta October 28th, Full release November 15th.
    Last edited by xandermac; 10-21-11 at 11:36 AM.
    10-21-11 08:13 AM
    From wikipedia.
    Francis Galton, visiting a livestock fair, he stumbled upon an intriguing contest. An ox was on display, and the villagers were invited to guess the animal's weight after it was slaughtered and dressed. Nearly 800 participated, but not one person hit the exact mark: 1,198 pounds. Galton's insight was to examine the mean of these guesses from independent people in the crowd: Astonishingly the mean of those 800 guesses was 1,197 pounds: accurate to fraction of a percent.
    This insight presages the idea of crowd sourcing and the wisdom of the crowd.
    I curious to see the collective guess of the Crackberry crowd. Place your best guess: not your hopes, not your worst-case scenario, but your most rational guess as if ox weight guessing contest you would win a prize - on when the general availability of OS2.0 might be.

Here's mine:
    March 19, 2012.
    Last edited by notafanboy; 10-21-11 at 08:47 AM.
    10-21-11 08:29 AM
    November 14, 2011.
    10-21-11 08:42 AM
    November 30, 2011.

In time for a marketing push for Xmas.
    10-21-11 08:47 AM
    January 10 2012 at CES Las Vegas !
    10-21-11 08:53 AM
    I like xandermac's guess. It sounds reasonable.
    10-21-11 09:01 AM
    I like xandermac's guess. It sounds reasonable.
    Which is exactly why it won't happen. RIM doesn't do things that people would expect a company in their sector to do. I bet we don't see it till December at the earliest and they will have missed their opportunity to get the Playbook relaunch or WTF they want to call it in for Black Friday. RIM doesn't seem to care about important sales windows like Back to School, Black Friday, end of the US Federal Government Fiscal Year (get those end of year dollars that have to be spent), etc.
    10-21-11 09:06 AM
    One more for January 10th (CES).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    tayshun12 likes this.
    10-21-11 09:07 AM
    I seem to agree with that timeline. I just hope they have more to this release than what we have right now.
    10-21-11 09:17 AM
    November 21st, my Birthday
    10-21-11 09:21 AM
    Nov. 28-29
    10-21-11 09:27 AM
    is anybody else extremely pissed that they didnt show any of the promised features during devcon? leads me to believe that the guys over at rim haven't started anything yet. they're probably in the office with red lights and sirens flashing everywhere screaming out "s***,S***, S**T!!!"
    FF22 likes this.
    10-21-11 09:36 AM
    Didn't RIM release an earlier update to devs before? For some reason I believe it was for a big upgrade to flash. Does anyone remember the timeline for that? I would guess it was close to that or maybe add a week because of the android player.
    10-21-11 09:40 AM
    January 10 2012 at CES Las Vegas !
    That would be a HUGE day to launch both a phone and new OS!
    10-21-11 09:44 AM
    As posted here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-later-662820/

my guess is December 7, 2011 - Day 1 of DevCon (Asia)
    10-21-11 09:52 AM
    As posted here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-later-662820/

my guess is December 7, 2011 - Day 1 of DevCon (Asia)
    Don't you know that Devcon is just for Developers? RIM doesn't do consumer announcements at Devcon.
    primusd and JeepBB like this.
    10-21-11 09:55 AM
    It has to be out before Black Friday, it just has to.
    10-21-11 10:02 AM
    Mid november for release 1.9 which will have email, contacts and calendar. Then the big release to 2.0 at CES in January
    rleo25 likes this.
    10-21-11 10:05 AM
    mid Feb.... not before for the full OS2
    10-21-11 10:09 AM
    The cat still reckons 18th November 2011 would be purrfect.

Oh... and the cat wants to know if CrackBerry will sponsor a prize for the correct date?

Nothing big, a catnip mouse and a 64GB Playbook with OS2 would be fine!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-21-11 at 11:05 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-21-11 10:21 AM
    I don't think they needed those features just so developers can test their apps. We know native Email etc exist but probably need some tweaking (app and serverside) and RIM didn't want a developer beta being torn apart for features that aren't active on the network side yet.

Two weeks for a full consumer betazone release I reckon....

is anybody else extremely pissed that they didnt show any of the promised features during devcon? leads me to believe that the guys over at rim haven't started anything yet. they're probably in the office with red lights and sirens flashing everywhere screaming out "s***,S***, S**T!!!"
    Last edited by xandermac; 10-21-11 at 10:36 AM.
    10-21-11 10:33 AM
    December 8, 2011 Second Tuesday of December.

If you think about releases are always done on a Tuesday. New DVD's hit the shelves on Tuesdays, new games Tuesday also, Carriers release new devices on Tuesday as well. With this being a theme for all other new releases why wouldn't work for this. Other companies will be releasing products just prior to December first. So Blackberry releases their update after the rest of them so that's the name on peoples mind. Sorta like the last song you hear before going to bed, you wake up with that song ringing in your head.

Edit: this time frame would also allow bugs to get worked out in time for Q1 QNX Phone releases (Also on a Tuesday).
    Last edited by ScoobsDM; 10-21-11 at 10:45 AM.
    10-21-11 10:42 AM
    they're probably in the office with red lights and sirens flashing everywhere screaming out "s***,S***, S**T!!!"
    Probably off on a tangent: but if I were them, I'd pop the circuit breaker on the alarm panel. The last thing you need when you're having a crisis is lots of distracting noise and flashing lights!
    10-21-11 10:44 AM
    For the future of RIM's sake i hope before thanksgiving!
    10-21-11 10:44 AM
    This is fast becoming a joke for a company. We all know the chronology of the PB and the fake and or missed opportunity to leverage the brand, the lack of focus and down right, at least from my point of view, disrespect of the customer base. Having said all that, following the hype of the so called 2.0 release following DEVCON 2011, what I expected (which did not happen and probably won't) is the following:
    - A PR blitz to capture the hearts and minds of all BB users out there who starting to feel as though their beloved brand is about to go bust

- An immediate release of 2.0 following the closing session of DEVCON to literally energize the market place and give the PB a boost. There tons of ppl who are looking for a reason to adopt the PB, but at this rate we can forget that.

- Lots of reference material both on RIM homepage, and any other tech media to promote and create a following to showcase what the new upgrade is capable of doing, especially to quell all the negativity surrounding the poor usability and adoption of the PB. etc... etc...

But no, somewhere in Waterloo, they must have hired a team of marketing amateurs who don't seem to understand that speed and timing in the market is everything. By the time RIM releases the 2.0. Kindle Fire and few other things in the between will eat Waterloo's lunch. I hope to be proven wrong. This cannot go on and on. And to add more insults to alredy critical injuries, RIM is being sued for misappropriation of another company's trademark (BBX). WTF? It is time to start seriously considering other options.
    10-21-11 10:56 AM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD